PDA

View Full Version : excel question

HUSKER55
03-19-2015, 02:55 PM
I have a spread sheet with 5 rows across with headers and 6 rows of data under each heading.

Is there a way to erase the data without erasing the headers?

Dave Schwartz
03-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Sure.

1. Select the rows, right-click and select delete to remove the rows them selves. It will ask "Shift cells up?" = yes

2. If you just want to blank the cells, select the range with the mouse and press the delete key. It will erase the contents of the cells but keep the cells and formats intact.

For future reference, Google is your friend (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=erase+cells+in+excel)

HUSKER55
03-19-2015, 05:28 PM
thanks dave!

raybo
03-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Select only the data, not the headers/labels. Once the whole data range is selected, right click inside that selected/highlighted area and select "Clear Contents". This will not affect the formatting of those cells, but will make those cells empty/blank. No need to use "delete" unless you are removing complete data rows.

To clear or delete complete rows, select the row labels (to the left of column A) to highlight complete rows instead of only some of the cells in a row. Then right click inside the selected/highlighted rows and select either "delete" or "clear contents" depending on whether or not you want any unselected rows to be shifted upward or downward.

Dave Schwartz
03-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Husker,

On Excel topics NEVER listen to that guy Raybo.

No, wait... I have that wrong. ALWAYS listen to that guy Raybo when it comes to Excel. (It's like Ralphie with computers.)

Seriously, I wish I had his internal knowledge base re: Excel.

Dave

raybo
03-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Here's a screen shot of how you can select and clear entire rows of data by only selecting their row labels.