PDA

View Full Version : How to solve the NCAA BB KY "One and done" problem

whobet
03-18-2015, 09:14 PM
How to solve the NCAA BB KY "One and done" problem

For every "One and Done" player you sign, and he leaves the program
after one year, you lose a scholarship.

This year KY would probably lose 9 scholarships.

Or maybe, every scholarship you give out has a 4 year life span.
Anybody who leaves before 4 years you lose those years left on the scholarship.
This will make you think about marginal students in the class room, non-NBA material.
Injuries well also fall into this bucket.

Stillriledup
03-18-2015, 09:49 PM
College is lucky they get the "one" if the NBA wanted to they could tell kids out of HS to come right to the NBA and just skip the college.

whobet
03-18-2015, 10:16 PM
How to solve the NCAA BB KY "One and done" problem

Idea #1:
For every "One and Done" player you sign, and he leaves the program
after one year, you lose a scholarship.

This year KY would probably lose 9 scholarships.

Idea #2:
Every scholarship you give out has a 4 year life span.
Anybody who leaves before 4 years you lose those years left on the scholarship.
This will make you think about "One and Done" students.
This will make you think about marginal students in the class room, non-NBA material.
Injuries will also fall into this bucket.
This will put the 4-year Students back as the primary players.
The little schools teams will have more of a chance.

MutuelClerk
03-18-2015, 10:42 PM
How to solve? Stop watching. It's ruined both the college game and the NBA. Eventually they'll figure it out.

Tall One
03-18-2015, 11:21 PM
College is lucky they get the "one" if the NBA wanted to they could tell kids out of HS to come right to the NBA and just skip the college.

This is correct. It helps the league's interests, not the student athlete. NBA got tired of paying a million bucks a year for what one year of college could provide, and in return, the NBA gets a more polished product.

Also, mods, please ban the OP...tia.

RXB
03-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Major college basketball, like major college football, is corrupt to the core. I have to question my own integrity on some level for continuing to pay attention when I know about the antics at Syracuse, North Carolina, and probably a whole lot more places where these same things go on but just haven't been brought to light.

The NCAA is a joke, and the whole concept of amateur athletics is a fraud when you have coaches making seven-figure salaries, some of them high seven figures, while the athletes who make these guys rich struggle to have any money for even the smallest things.

Tall One
03-18-2015, 11:45 PM
There's a reason scholarships are renewed one year at a time. It's more of an issue in football, but when you're dealing with hundreds of millions in dollars in TV contracts, don't tell me Saban, Spurrier, and yes, St Urban don't yank scholarships from kids who get recruited over.

D-II schools are full of these kids.

Relwob Owner
03-19-2015, 12:59 AM
Major college basketball, like major college football, is corrupt to the core. I have to question my own integrity on some level for continuing to pay attention when I know about the antics at Syracuse, North Carolina, and probably a whole lot more places where these same things go on but just haven't been brought to light.

The NCAA is a joke, and the whole concept of amateur athletics is a fraud when you have coaches making seven-figure salaries, some of them high seven figures, while the athletes who make these guys rich struggle to have any money for even the smallest things.

I totally agree. The older I get, the more disenchanted I get. It reminds me of horse racing at times in terms of the rules enforcement. A coach can go somewhere and break the rules knowing that investigations won't take place until years afterwards when they have often have already left that school.

onefast99
03-20-2015, 12:29 PM

What antics? Syracuse had cooperated with the NCAA by developing adrug policy one that the NCAA has now adopted they got hit harder than any other school thus far even Memphis and Kentucky and Penn State. North Carolina admitted to giving out "free" grades to players but the NCAA didn't do anything about it even with the settlement this week to the whistle blower who came up with the evidence this was going on for many years.
The NCAA is the issue they have rules that don't apply to everyone. They are a self policed operation who makes millions and millions of dollars each year and they don't pay their workforce, claiming they can't pay student athletes!

onefast99
03-20-2015, 12:31 PM
I totally agree. The older I get, the more disenchanted I get. It reminds me of horse racing at times in terms of the rules enforcement. A coach can go somewhere and break the rules knowing that investigations won't take place until years afterwards when they have often have already left that school.
Why then does the NCAA take it out on the players who weren't even there when the infractions occured? The system is broken but becuse it is a huge money maker they play by their own rules.

jross0108
03-20-2015, 07:45 PM
I don't think you could stop the "one and done rule". If they made a rule that a scholarship has a 4 year life span or something like that I think you'll see more kids do what Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay have done and they will go over to china or somewhere and get paid for a year then enter the draft. Unfortunately i think the "one and done" is going to be around for a while.

RXB
03-21-2015, 12:58 PM
The NBA commissioner has openly mused about a two-year wait between HS and NBA eligibility, but personally I think it would be better if they just let guys go straight from HS to the league. ("None-and-done." Ha.) If they're good enough, why not? And it would perhaps reduce some of the shenanigans.

Hockey has a major junior system (Canada-based) and a university system (US-based) that both turn out lots of professional players. The major junior leagues now offer financial grants for post-secondary education that guys can use toward university, trade school, etc., as long as they get after it within a certain timeframe following their careers.

Canadian football players, they come from Canadian and US universities but there's also a Canadian junior system that produces a modest percentage of Canadian pros.

Baseball has a huge minor league system, and there's also college baseball.

But for NFL/NBA hopefuls, that non-university option is lacking. So you get a lot of guys going to university just to play the sport, who lack the interest and/or the ability to succeed in an academic environment. And you have coaches who are getting paid big, big bucks and are treated like gods if they win a lot. I don't think the powers-that-be will ever be able to clean up the mess from that mix. (I'm not sure that many of them really want to clean it up so much as just hide it from sight.)

I love what the Canadian major junior hockey system does by giving the players a choice on what kind of education they want to pursue with their grants. There are a lot of young guys with zero interest in reading Chaucer who would be quite happy to become skilled tradesmen.

Tall One
03-21-2015, 01:25 PM
I believe in college baseball there is an option: go pro out of high school, or you stay three years in college.

RXB
03-21-2015, 01:53 PM
I know, that's what I said. "Baseball has a huge minor league system, and there's also college baseball."

Tall One
03-21-2015, 02:00 PM
I know, that's what I said. "Baseball has a huge minor league system, and there's also college baseball."

Ah..reading comprehension is our friend.. :)

RXB
03-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Ah..reading comprehension is our friend.. :)

I take part of the responsibility as I wrote a rather long post.