PDA

View Full Version : RIP Allen Jerkens

horses4courses
03-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Racing legend Allen Jerkens passed away today.
I am sure many here have fond recollections of the man.

TVG ‏@TVG 20m20 minutes ago
We're saddened to learn of the passing of Hall Of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens. He was a true legend of the sport.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAagr4rWcAEo9w1.jpg

Stillriledup
03-18-2015, 07:11 PM
RIP Giant Killer, one of the best ever, a true legend.

Overlay
03-18-2015, 07:13 PM
Very sorry to hear of his passing. He was a remarkable trainer. My first personal memory of him was beating Secretariat twice with Onion and Prove Out (although he had already been a leading trainer for many years even at that point). Rest in peace.

jk3521
03-18-2015, 07:17 PM
The last of the great classic trainers! :(

KirisClown
03-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Sad day.. Of all his upsets my favorite was Classy Mirage defeating Inside Information.

NJ Stinks
03-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Really saddened to hear the news. He was an easy man to admire.

pandy
03-18-2015, 07:45 PM
I lived in N.Y. until I was 40. Going to the track often as I did as a young man, back as far as 1970, the trainer that the older guys, the regulars, talked about the most was Allen Jerkens. Although he's known as The Chief, or The Giant Killer, some people called him The Master.

I've never known a trainer more revered by the racing fans at a circuit than Allen Jerkens. And, he was also held in high regard by the people who worked in the backstretch. When New Yorker's talked about trainers, Allen Jerkens was the man. Everyone knew that he was not only a great trainer, but he was an honest trainer who did it the right way. He was also a man who used many different jockeys and hired people to give them a leg up at making a living in this tough sport.

Classy guy, great horseman.

Ocala Mike
03-18-2015, 07:50 PM
I go back to him with BEAU PURPLE; believe he used Bill Boland as the rider.

"The Chief" and "The Giant Killer" is up in heaven scouring the condition books and looking for the best horses on the grounds to run against and defeat.

RIP, a genuine master of his trade.

ReplayRandall
03-18-2015, 07:55 PM
One of the Great Trainers in my lifetime, RIP Allen Jerkens......Say hi to Charlie Whittingham for me, at the Big Track in the Heavens.

Tape Reader
03-18-2015, 08:37 PM
I go back to him with BEAU PURPLE; believe he used Bill Boland as the rider.

When I was a kid we all blamed Bill Boland for our losses. “He rides every horse as if it were Beau Purple.” A really fast front runner.

One in our crowd was an apprentice jockey in NY. At the candy store get together, he tells the Guys that Bill Boland is a really great guy. “At the start, my horse was falling over. Bill Boland came along side and steadied my horse.”

“Cool” (or something like that) was the response from the kids. He must do that for every frigging jockey in the race when I bet on him.

Tape Reader
03-18-2015, 08:45 PM
When I was a kid we all blamed Bill Boland for our losses. “He rides every horse as if it were Beau Purple.” A really fast front runner.

One in our crowd was an apprentice jockey in NY. At the candy store get together, he tells the Guys that Bill Boland is a really great guy. “At the start, my horse was falling over. Bill Boland came along side and steadied my horse.”

“Cool” (or something like that) was the response from the kids. He must do that for every frigging jockey in the race when I bet on him.

RIP Mr Jerkins.

NY BRED
03-18-2015, 08:55 PM
MEMO TO NYRA:

Please conduct a minute of silence to honor one of the greatest
trainers that was admired by your fans and ,I would believe,
many of your trainers .

I'm uncertain if the NY flag could be lowered to honor
The Chief.

Finally, I am sure one of your stakes races could be renamed
to honor incredible trainer.

SandyW
03-18-2015, 09:06 PM
A very sad day for racing, RIP Allen, the memories of your greatness and class will live on forever.
The trainer of Beau Purple who beat Kelso 3 out of 4 times that they raced against each other.

Stillriledup
03-18-2015, 09:40 PM
MEMO TO NYRA:

Please conduct a minute of silence to honor one of the greatest
trainers that was admired by your fans and ,I would believe,
many of your trainers .

I'm uncertain if the NY flag could be lowered to honor
The Chief.

Finally, I am sure one of your stakes races could be renamed
to honor incredible trainer.

They will do something for sure. Also, a big race needs to be named/renamed after him.

Stillriledup
03-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Here's a quote from Allenjerkens.com

Said Ray Ganpath of his boss:

“Sometimes he will dress up a horse to go train, take him all the way to the track, and
then he’ll bring him back home. He’s just messing with their mind a little bit,”

“I was hoping he would put me on (Society Selection in the G1 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies), but there were a lot of good jockeys calling for the mount. One morning he was kidding with me, and he said, ‘Do you want to get on the filly or Gary Stevens?’ I said, ‘I’ll get on her,’ and he said, ‘OK.’ ”

http://www.allenjerkens.com/quotes.html

magwell
03-18-2015, 10:32 PM
He gave everybody a chance.........RIP my friend :(

RacingFan1992
03-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Wow. I know Ben and Jimmy Jones as well as Jim Fitzsimmons are sitting with Allen Jerkens right now at the old Hialeah Track. RIP Giant Killer.

Tom
03-18-2015, 10:55 PM
Onion Makes Secretariat Cry!

What a bombshell THAT race was!
RIP, Chief.

Zaf
03-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Racing Legend, We lost 2 great ones this week.

RIP Chief

Z

Tall One
03-18-2015, 11:32 PM
Rajiv Maragh ‏@RajivMaragh

R.I.P "the cheif" Allen Jerkens. The man who would give anyone a chance. Put me on my first ever graded stakes winner as an apprentice

Nitro
03-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all those choice Winners and fond memories Al! :ThmbUp:
I’ll remember you as one of the best at bringing them home off a layoff and often taking down those giants! You’re entries were never overlooked.
The game will miss you.
May you R.I.P.

nijinski
03-19-2015, 12:59 AM
Horseracing has lost a giant ! A great man !

RIP Mr Jerkens !

Condolences to the Jerkens family !

PaceAdvantage
03-19-2015, 01:33 AM
Racing, especially NY racing, has lost a legend, a throwback, and an absolute treasure of the game.

I have a little tribute up on the home page: http://www.paceadvantage.com

NY BRED
03-19-2015, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]Here's a quote from Allenjerkens.com

SU

Thanks for sharing the link on The Chief

:ThmbUp:

jk3521
03-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Here's a quote from Allenjerkens.com

Said Ray Ganpath of his boss:

“Sometimes he will dress up a horse to go train, take him all the way to the track, and
then he’ll bring him back home. He’s just messing with their mind a little bit,”

“I was hoping he would put me on (Society Selection in the G1 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies), but there were a lot of good jockeys calling for the mount. One morning he was kidding with me, and he said, ‘Do you want to get on the filly or Gary Stevens?’ I said, ‘I’ll get on her,’ and he said, ‘OK.’ ”

http://www.allenjerkens.com/quotes.html
If the jockey fit the horse , he got the mount . Be it Jacinto Vasquez, Robyn Smith or Ray Ganpath.

Tom
03-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Racing, especially NY racing, has lost a legend, a throwback, and an absolute treasure of the game.

I have a little tribute up on the home page: http://www.paceadvantage.com

VERY nice! :ThmbUp:

Ruffian1
03-19-2015, 08:42 AM
He taught so many people so much about the game, horses and life.
Whenever he spoke, everyone listened.
Thank you for that.
The people who's lives you touched will never forget you.
Legends never die.
RIP Mr. Jerkens.

CryingForTheHorses
03-19-2015, 09:09 AM
RIP Giant Killer, one of the best ever, a true legend.

OMG..This is sad!!..A bunch of us were in the trainers lounge a few months back and Allen was in there with us watching the races,He was telling us stories from his past and my what a past he had!!.I have many fond memories of him when I working for Scotty Schulhofer as we would walk with him and his riders along with our riders to the belmont main track almost every morning,Keeping us laughing as we would go by Frank Whitelys barn kabitzing with him while he sat in his chair chewing on his cigarette ,Allen would yell at Frank and say,Dont you know those things are bad for you,Frank would yell back ,Its not lit.By the way Allen your getting a little fat for that pony,Allen would say,HaHa,Ill outlive you ,Scotty would be laughing all the time.When we came home from the track,Many times Allen would take my horse in hand on his pony as Scotty had another as we had some skittish horses.This man was the nicest guy you would ever meet.Always giving a hardworking newcomer a chance ,Whether it be a pretty girl who was hoping to ride,To the old man looking for a hotwalking job because nobody else would hire him..There will NEVER be another like him.To those who knew him it was a honor,To those that knew of him,They sure missed the biggest thing horseracing will ever have..Allen Scotty and Frank are now together again..Heaven Downs get got tougher!

RIP Allen :( :( :(

PS PA,Thats a wonderful tribute to the man on the front page..Thank you for that!!

Canarsie
03-19-2015, 10:12 AM
My condolences go out to the entire Jerkens family, friends, co workers, associates, and to everyone who knew such a magnificent man.

The accolades are pouring in and each and every one is well deserved. Racing lost an "icon" that cannot be replaced. This is a very sad time for everyone in the racing industry and more.

I think a moment of silence right before the Derby would be run would be a great honor. He would trend on google that day as millions learn his story and achievements.

RIP

reckless
03-19-2015, 10:48 AM
He was truly a giant in this great sport of ours, way way beyond the training skills that made him the horseman among horsemen.

He gave just about every young rider a start or a struggling veteran jockey another chance.

John Ruane told me personally that his business was very slow in the late 1960s and Allen put him on a horse that ran well at a price. Then he soon rode a winner for him, which led to another mount. And then another nice mount. He did well and before long, Ruane wound up riding in and winning stakes races on horses like Duck Dance and Tunex for The Chief.

Leah Gyarmati was a former Jerkens' protégé and I believe she won a stakes race for him as a bug girl! These days, we know Leah as a very capable and accomplished trainer in her own right.

There's a lot more to H. A. Jerkens than just being a Giant Killer, I assure you.

RIP Harry.

classhandicapper
03-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Deserves legend status.

Wickel
03-19-2015, 01:17 PM
So sad to her of his passing. The Chief was a giant of the sport, and certainly a legend. My condolences to his family and to the racing world.

jk3521
03-19-2015, 01:18 PM
I remember him once giving a horse entered in a Stakes race a mile and 1/2 workout for a mile and 1/8 race,of course the horse won at a good mutual. :cool: He knew just what to do get the best out of his horses and the people he worked with.

Let's Roll
03-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Mr. Jerkens was my favorite trainer, by far. When I had a virtual stable, it was filled with his horses and I enjoyed watching some of them advance through the ranks and observed the way he trained them up to winning races.He was doing things outside the box and the results were stunning at times, it was a joy to have money on horses of his that won.

My condolences to his family and friends

RacingFan1992
03-19-2015, 02:39 PM
One thing I find funny about Allen was that if you look at the "Giants" he killed, Man, he did not like the Meadow Stable. He killed off Cicada, Riva Ridge, and Secretariat. These horses were great but they met something greater when they did get beat. Allen said Secretariat would have won those days in the Whitney and Woodward but the only that stopped "Big Red" was an old fool trying get a second place finish. He said the best way to beat a champion is to get them on their off days. No athlete is 100% every single time. Allen sure knew how cause an upset.

Not4Love
03-19-2015, 03:27 PM
In 96' we formed a partnership and planned on claiming a horse for the Saratoga Meet. It would be the trainers first horse and the owners. NYRA authorities laughed at us when we requested a stall. Allen Jerkens spoke up for us and gave us his pony stall. We were able to claim the horse. The horse won when we claimed it and proceeded to win 2 more races in 11 days.

We miss you Chief !!!! Thank you!

maddog42
03-19-2015, 05:17 PM
In 96' we formed a partnership and planned on claiming a horse for the Saratoga Meet. It would be the trainers first horse and the owners. NYRA authorities laughed at us when we requested a stall. Allen Jerkens spoke up for us and gave us his pony stall. We were able to claim the horse. The horse won when we claimed it and proceeded to win 2 more races in 11 days.

We miss you Chief !!!! Thank you!

Great story about a great trainer. His timing was impeccable.

Cratos
03-19-2015, 05:44 PM
Although I didn’t know Allen Jerkens personally, I did receive much personal enjoyment from watching and betting for/again some of the horses that he sent to post.

Also what made the period that he trained in so special on the NYRA circuit was the trainers he competed against in the likes of Ed Neloy (Buckpasser), John Nerud (Dr. Fager), Frank Whiteley (Ruffian), Lucien Laurin (Secretariat) and many more, but the ones aforementioned were “giants” in their own rights and Allen Jerkens held his own very well against them.

pandy
03-19-2015, 07:33 PM
I remember him once giving a horse entered in a Stakes race a mile and 1/2 workout for a mile and 1/8 race,of course the horse won at a good mutual. :cool: He knew just what to do get the best out of his horses and the people he worked with.

Those long workouts leading up to a route race were part of his training regime for a long time. Some of the trainers who used to work for him still use the one mile breezes. His ability to condition a horse for a peak effort in a particular race, such as a stakes race was astounding.

lamboguy
03-19-2015, 07:55 PM
no doubt, he was amazing. he got along great with everyone and the horses he trained. not one speck of bad blood in this mans body. this man is going to be missed, and we will never forget him.

RIP

lamboguy
03-19-2015, 07:56 PM

We miss you Chief !!!! Thank you!nice story, good for you and your friends.

JustRalph
03-19-2015, 08:48 PM
From Dean via Twitter

“@Pullthepocket: Very nice. RT @CBredar: Thanks to Carlo Vacarreza for this shot of the tribute at the barn today http://t.co/rPhOGLmwqw”

Stillriledup
03-19-2015, 11:10 PM
They will do something for sure. Also, a big race needs to be named/renamed after him.

Carlos must read PA :D

https://twitter.com/carlosmartin145

Grits
03-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Mr.Jerkens' life is to be celebrated, not mourned. He lived a long and full one with a beautiful wife, children and a working career into his mid 80s...all of which brought him joy and tremendous achievement.

For years, I've seen them, he and his wife, in the paddock at Belmont. Mrs.Jerkens, who was a stunning woman, died in August, only 8 months ago. Mr.Jerkens, not long for this world....

One needn't look any farther than this couple to get the best understanding of class, grace and refinement in this sport.. or any other.

Rest in peace, Mr. and Mrs. Jerkens. I'm glad you're together now. Our loss is heaven's gain.

jk3521
03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Pretty nice tribute here":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GlzaUYBx0s

OTM Al
03-20-2015, 01:27 PM
From the 2013 Saratoga meet. I always really liked this picture

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1477972&postcount=100

NY BRED
03-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Courtesy of Bloodhorse, the Mig discusses his fondest
memory of The Chief ;)

Retired jockey Richard Migliore never worked for Jerkens, but he was a volunteer member of that afternoon crew. After finishing up a day riding at Aqueduct Racetrack, Migliore would stop at Jerkens' Belmont Park barn, in awe of the man who was there for every feeding, who came in the afternoon and then again after dinner, individually selecting feed for each horse, tailoring it to the horse's needs. Like Bush, he came to push that feed cart, and to listen.

As a young rider who had recently lost his bug, struggling to get mounts, Migliore prevailed—as so many did—on the Chief for a job.

"We were at Hialeah," Migliore reminisced. "I asked for a shot, and I see on the overnight that he's named me on a horse. She's a speedy filly, going long for the first time.

"I take my time in the post parade—just walk her, talking to her. The gate springs and she blasts out, but in a few strides, I got her to relax. She ended up fading—she just couldn't go long—but I walk back and I'm feeling pretty good. Until I see the Chief.'"

"'She has one weapon!' he yelled at me," Migliore said. "'Horses have been running away from their enemies for thousands of years, and I get a jock that want to change evolution!'"

:eek: :lol: :sleeping:

CryingForTheHorses
03-20-2015, 05:50 PM
I was by his barn today,To pay my respects at his barn memorial.Nick Zito told me today that there is a big memorial planned at GP on tuesday at 11am.

mountainman
03-20-2015, 07:47 PM
I once mishandled (intentionally, but THAT'S a long story) a piece of Jerkins' business. The man called and apologized to ME. And when I once had occasion to call his house, his wife seemed crestfallen that he wasn't there to accommodate me, and seemed shocked at the notion that her husband was an important man. Hands down THE most cordial person I've ever spoken with.

On a less personal note, not to be moribund, but I can't shake the feeling that a symbolically vital link to racing's past has been severed, and that it signals a coming darkness.

Tara73
03-21-2015, 12:29 AM
He was a gentleman. He always was a gentleman.

burnsy
03-21-2015, 07:04 AM
On a less personal note, not to be moribund, but I can't shake the feeling that a symbolically vital link to racing's past has been severed, and that it signals a coming darkness.

Not just in racing, the entire society is having a "past" severed...I didn't know him but I've had the pleasure of knowing many from his generation or "time" on earth. It really was a remarkable generation because most of them were raised in that "tradition" of what he was. I had the pleasure of knowing some of them when they were around. That's the way they were taught to carry themselves from the time they were kids. We just don't put out enough (people) like this anymore. Its not morbid, its a crying shame. Being a great "trainer" or great "anything" does not make one legendary but being a great human being does. Basically that generation "got it".

My condolences to his friends and family........... :(

jk3521
03-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Not just in racing, the entire society is having a "past" severed...I didn't know him but I've had the pleasure of knowing many from his generation or "time" on earth. It really was a remarkable generation because most of them were raised in that "tradition" of what he was. I had the pleasure of knowing some of them when they were around. That's the way they were taught to carry themselves from the time they were kids. We just don't put out enough (people) like this anymore. Its not morbid, its a crying shame. Being a great "trainer" or great "anything" does not make one legendary but being a great human being does. Basically that generation "got it".

My condolences to his friends and family........... :(

How very true. :(