PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz in 2016?

RunForTheRoses
03-16-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm not a huge looking for a political savior kind of guy, in fact I usually don't vote. For the next Presidential election though 3 candidates appeal to me somewhat-Rand Paul, Scott Walker, and Ted Cruz.
Regarding Cruz, is he eligible to run? He was born in Canada and his father only became a citizen this century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz

He has some bold ideas:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cruz-hones-pitch-as-he-visits-rural-new-hampshire-voters/ar-AA9PdaB

He is promising to abolish the Internal Revenue Service and scrap the Education Department. He vows to curtail federal regulators, likening to locusts that deserve to be killed. And his standard campaign-style speech includes a zinger about the Second Amendment.

horses4courses
03-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Hell, yeah......I'm all for it :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

RunForTheRoses
03-16-2015, 08:24 PM
I guess it is not that controversial:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/headlines/20150313-top-bush-obama-lawyers-say-cruz-is-eligible-for-presidency.ece

RunForTheRoses
03-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Hell, yeah......I'm all for it :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

So who, if any, Republicans would scare you in your dream for Donkey (or Jackass as George Jefferson would say) hegemony?

horses4courses
03-16-2015, 08:33 PM
So who, if any, Republicans would scare you in your dream for Donkey (or Jackass as George Jefferson would say) hegemony?

I don't know the field well enough, yet.
At this point, the GOP has little ammunition.
Except from the Koch whores.

porchy44
03-16-2015, 08:44 PM
He is promising to abolish the Internal Revenue Service and scrap the Education Department. He vows to curtail federal regulators, likening to locusts that deserve to be killed. And his standard campaign-style speech includes a zinger about the Second Amendment.

I think if the GOP expects to win the election. They need a candidate a "tad" more to the left.

Clocker
03-16-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm not a huge looking for a political savior kind of guy, in fact I usually don't vote. For the next Presidential election though 3 candidates appeal to me somewhat-Rand Paul, Scott Walker, and Ted Cruz.

Cruz and Paul are first term Senators with no business experience and no executive or administrative experience. Sound like anyone currently in the White House? I am thankful for Obama's lack of experience and leadership, at least as far as domestic policy is concerned. Imagine how screwed up this country would be if Obama was competent enough to get his policies implemented. I want something better in a GOP president.

Getting rid of the IRS is a hugely premature promise. Before that could happen, we would need comprehensive tax reform and a greatly simplified tax code. And it would require a great deal of compromise by both parties, lots of horse trading and give and take. I don't see Cruz as the kind of negotiator that could put that together.

Lots of politicians have talked about tax reform. As far as I can remember, no one has ever made a genuine effort to start in that direction.

Clocker
03-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Except from the Koch whores.

And no one on the left has prostituted him or herself for George Soros or middle east oil money?

ReplayRandall
03-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Lots of politicians have talked about tax reform. As far as I can remember, no one has ever made a genuine effort to start in that direction.
Even though I'm not a fan of his, Steve Forbes was the first to talk of real tax reform, starting with an across-the-board flat tax proposition....

davew
03-16-2015, 09:57 PM
I am pretty sure if you have a parent who is a US citizen when you are born, you are covered no matter where you are born.

_______
03-16-2015, 10:01 PM
I am pretty sure if you have a parent who is a US citizen when you are born, you are covered no matter where you are born.

That information would have saved a whole lot of space on the internet the last 7 years if applied to Obama's mother.

JustRalph
03-16-2015, 10:06 PM
I think if the GOP expects to win the election. They need a candidate a "tad" more to the left.

Yeah, it worked so well with Romney. Ted Cruz would be an awesome President.

He is eligible.

fast4522
03-17-2015, 12:15 AM
America loves a dark horse, someone who will make very few promises and is likely to keep them. Regardless of how good the man would be as the executive, has he not made to many promises that he would not be able to keep?

Clocker
03-17-2015, 01:26 AM
Regardless of how good the man would be as the executive, has he not made to many promises that he would not be able to keep?

Neither of the promises cited above, about the IRS and the Department of Education, are deliverable. Washington works too slowly and with too many embedded special interest groups to allow for any major changes in any reasonable time. The best someone like Cruz could do would be to start to change the direction of the ship of state. He can't turn it around.

GameTheory
03-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Anybody that thinks Ted Cruz would stand any chance in a general election is insane. Completely unelectable.

reckless
03-17-2015, 04:18 AM
Anybody that thinks Ted Cruz would stand any chance in a general election is insane. Completely unelectable.

Why do you think Ted Cruz is completely unelectable, GT?

(I'll leave the 'is insane' part alone for another day.)

RunForTheRoses
03-17-2015, 06:12 AM

I would rather support someone like Cruz (or Walker or Paul) even if unelectable, though I wouldn't be so sure that is the case, than George W Herbert Walker Jeb Bush the Third or some other Democrat in Elephant clothes.

reckless
03-17-2015, 06:52 AM
I would rather support someone like Cruz (or Walker or Paul) even if unelectable, though I wouldn't be so sure that is the case, than George W Herbert Walker Jeb Bush the Third or some other Democrat in Elephant clothes.

I am with you totally, especially about baby Bush Jeb, who is a certain loser if nominated.

But I still would like to know why people say Cruz (or Paul, or Walker) is unelectable?

I do know why the left wing media dolts want people -- especially mainstream swishy Republicans -- to think that.

rastajenk
03-17-2015, 07:05 AM
For one, I think Sen. Paul is too close to his father's isolationist, 9/11 Trutherist, extreme libertarianist positions to be electable. I like him as an unconventional politician willing to articulate challenges to the status quo, but I think he's just wrong on some major issues, and would be a too-easy target for the soulless media hitmen.

I think Cruz could be more effective remaining in the Senate; it needs new leadership too, you know.

Walker is electable, but there's plenty of time left for the media to grind him down, too. The power of its bias is obscene, but very real.

GameTheory
03-17-2015, 10:26 AM

Because he'd have to win a general election, and Ted Cruz comes off as insane himself for all but die-hard super-righties. He's a fringe clown, and the majority see him as obviously bat-shit crazy. Now maybe if he calms down and gets some experience under his belt in 8-10 years or so he could emerge as a serious candidate I suppose, but at this junction he has zero general appeal. He'd get slaughtered. Not that he has a chance in hell of getting the nomination either.

When people like Ted Cruz are put forth seriously from the right as viable, i.e. as a good electable candidate (putting aside whether he'd be a good president or not) I'm just amazed. Echo chamber thinking that comes up with wackiness that obviously won't play outside of the particular bubble that comes up with it is usually a trait of the left, but the right certainly isn't immune. Anybody that actually thinks Cruz could become president (this cycle) needs to pull their head of whatever it is stuck in and look around at the larger context...

Tom
03-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Cruz is bat-shit crazy, but OBAMA is acceptable?:lol::lol:

Clocker
03-17-2015, 10:36 AM

Cruz may be bat-shit crazy, but Obama has proven that does not disqualify anyone from elective office in this country. Cruz would look like King Solomon running against Elizabeth Warren.

TJDave
03-17-2015, 10:40 AM

Obama was elected, twice.

Tom
03-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Obama was elected, twice.

My point.
The American people are pretty much idiots.
At least 47% of them.

RunForTheRoses
03-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Because he'd have to win a general election, and Ted Cruz comes off as insane himself for all but die-hard super-righties. He's a fringe clown, and the majority see him as obviously bat-shit crazy. Now maybe if he calms down and gets some experience under his belt in 8-10 years or so he could emerge as a serious candidate I suppose, but at this junction he has zero general appeal. He'd get slaughtered. Not that he has a chance in hell of getting the nomination either.

When people like Ted Cruz are put forth seriously from the right as viable, i.e. as a good electable candidate (putting aside whether he'd be a good president or not) I'm just amazed. Echo chamber thinking that comes up with wackiness that obviously won't play outside of the particular bubble that comes up with it is usually a trait of the left, but the right certainly isn't immune. Anybody that actually thinks Cruz could become president (this cycle) needs to pull their head of whatever it is stuck in and look around at the larger context...
I like that roundabout style. How's this-only a total douchebag would post what you posted. Pretty good,right?

GameTheory
03-17-2015, 11:10 AM
I like that roundabout style. How's this-only a total douchebag would post what you posted. Pretty good,right?

If you say so, but I don't really know what you are saying.

In case you are missing it, I'm not criticizing Cruz. Nor praising him. Not saying his is qualified or unqualified or would be good or bad. Simply discussing what his public perception is. Fair or not, he's not electable.

TJDave
03-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Cruz would look like King Solomon running against Elizabeth Warren.

Only to his constituency. The democrat party is filled to the brim with progressives. It is not 1972 and Warren is no McGovern. Every vote cast for Obama in the last election would go to Warren.

ArlJim78
03-17-2015, 11:39 AM

I like Cruz, so put me down as a die-hard super-righty.
Other than standing for something and following through on the promises he made to get elected, what is it that makes him "bat-shit crazy" or a fringe clown in your mind? because in the real world he is far from that.

as far as viable electable candidates go, we've gone that route lately and been rejected by voters each time. How much more viable and electable could Mitt Romney have been? He was virtually from the presidential wing of central casting. To me the larger context is that most of them do not represent any kind of needed change and Cruz doesn't need 8-10 years experience to understand what's wrong about Washington. The longer he's in the senate the worse it will be for him in terms of running for president.

I remember the same over the top rhetoric in 1980 about what an insane, old, dangerous and unelectable cowboy that Reagan was, so don't tell me about viable and electable. I had friends who were actually convinced by listening to the media and democrats that if elected Reagan was going to start a nuclear war.

its time to raise the bar a bit anyway and not simply look for the closet most moderate person to run against the democrats. that approach doesn't work.

JustRalph
03-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Only to his constituency. The democrat party is filled to the brim with progressives. It is not 1972 and Warren is no McGovern. Every vote cast for Obama in the last election would go to Warren.

Yep......and that's the sad part.

The underclass has a choice between two millionaire champions of the poor

:bang:

GameTheory
03-17-2015, 12:09 PM
I like Cruz, so put me down as a die-hard super-righty.
Other than standing for something and following through on the promises he made to get elected, what is it that makes him "bat-shit crazy" or a fringe clown in your mind?Again, this has nothing to do with "my mind". This is what's out there. Just yesterday, the Cruz story was about him terrifying a little girl by screaming "your world is on fire!" over and over at her. THAT'S his public perception. How the country in general sees Cruz is how you would see someone like Keith Olbermann as a Democratic candidate. Just a total whack job.

as far as viable electable candidates go, we've gone that route lately and been rejected by voters each time. How much more viable and electable could Mitt Romney have been? He was virtually from the presidential wing of central casting.Running against an incumbent with the electoral college in a configuration giving Obama a much easier path to victory. A loss does not mean "unelectable", just means a loss in an uphill battle. Would Cruz have won more votes than Romney? No way. And plenty of people think Romney is mighty strange, of course.

To me the larger context is that most of them do not represent any kind of needed change and Cruz doesn't need 8-10 years experience to understand what's wrong about Washington. The longer he's in the senate the worse it will be for him in terms of running for president.Qualifications, effectiveness, blah blah blah. That he represents what you want (or even if he doesn't) is not particularly relevant to his electability. We could all agree he'd be the best president ever and he's a just a goddamn genius but that won't help him get elected.

I remember the same over the top rhetoric in 1980 about what an insane, old, dangerous and unelectable cowboy that Reagan was, so don't tell me about viable and electable. I had friends who were actually convinced by listening to the media and democrats that if elected Reagan was going to start a nuclear war.And he worked to soften his image with humor, etc (before that election). Do you think Ted Cruz has Reagan-like charisma? (And Reagan has magically gotten more and more conservative since he's left office.) Ted Cruz needs an image makeover (if he wants to be President). Do you get the feeling Ted Cruz wants to remake his image? Neither do I. It works for him -- he can go on being a Texas senator, maybe even a Texas governor. Or NRA head or Tea Party firebrand. But President? Now? Not a chance.

its time to raise the bar a bit anyway and not simply look for the closet most moderate person to run against the democrats. that approach doesn't work.You're assuming that the world you want is possible, maybe with the right candidate. But we're never going to be living in Ted Cruz's America. Ain't gonna happen. The Republicans will win again sometime, of course, maybe even in 2016. And it could even be with a "real conservative", but what counts as that is extremely narrow for some. Scott Walker maybe? He's way more viable.

JustRalph
03-17-2015, 12:31 PM
"Just yesterday, the Cruz story was about him terrifying a little girl by screaming "your world is on fire!" over and over at her. THAT'S his public perception. How the country in general sees Cruz is how you would see someone like Keith Olbermann as a Democratic candidate. Just a total whack job."

Did you see the video? If anything the way he handled that situation should endear him to some. But no, MSNBC launched a whole segment on it, making him look like a monster. Luckily nobody watches MSNBC.

The theory that Cruz could pull from the Libertarian movement I agree with. But let's face it, too many freeloaders in this country. And running to the middle or left would just help a Dem candidate. The illegals voting will make this entire discussion moot anyway.

Luckily, I live in the closest thing to a separate country we have in the United States.

FantasticDan
03-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Again, this has nothing to do with "my mind". This is what's out there. Just yesterday, the Cruz story was about him terrifying a little girl by screaming "your world is on fire!" over and over at her. THAT'S his public perception.Actually, I don't think that was the story. The story I read was how a little girl in a small crowd responded with some concern when she heard Cruz say "the world is on fire", but Cruz's followup to her was neither screaming or said over and over..

vWsIhBnaWaw

GameTheory
03-17-2015, 12:48 PM
"What really happened" is all nice and good, but come on, you guys are deliberately missing the point, aren't you? If you think Ted Cruz is looked upon generally with admiration and respect, and there is a majority out there just waiting to vote for him, you go right ahead. The real world looks quite different though. He isn't even popular among Republicans.

classhandicapper
03-17-2015, 01:32 PM
"What really happened" is all nice and good, but come on, you guys are deliberately missing the point, aren't you? If you think Ted Cruz is looked upon generally with admiration and respect, and there is a majority out there just waiting to vote for him, you go right ahead. The real world looks quite different though. He isn't even popular among Republicans.

The left wing media has done everything in its power to discredit Cruz and make him look like an extremist. However, THAT'S THEIR PLAYBOOK on every republican that starts growing in popularity. The issue is not whether most democrats bought it all hook, line and sinker. Of course they did. They think he's Satan.

But who cares?

Republicans wouldn't get those votes if they ran someone to the left of Hillary.

The issue is where he stands among republicans, the small percentage of people that swing back and forth between parties, and among the people that sometimes vote and other times don't.

I think his standing among republicans is fine. IMO, if he got the nomination because he was perceived as the most competent and best candidate he'd easily get 40%-45% of the vote in a balanced turnout.

That small 5% or so in the middle is tougher to handicap (the non 47%), but I think he'd have to move a bit towards the center in a general election just as all politicians do after they win their nomination.

How much enthusiasm he could generate for his candidacy or "against him" is another very big question mark. I think the anti Cruz forces would come out in droves after the left scared the shit out of them. However, I think it's a lead pipe cinch republican turnout will also be huge after 8 years of Obamanation and the threat of Hillary to follow.

Do I think he could beat Hillary?

I do not know. It would depend on his performance as a campaigner and in debates. He's not nearly as seasoned. But I don't think his views would be a hinderance. If he came off as energetic, competent, presidential, etc... he'd have a shot to win despite the demographic disadvantage republicans are beginning to face.

GameTheory
03-17-2015, 01:51 PM
The left wing media has done everything in its power to discredit Cruz and make him look like an extremist. However, THAT'S THEIR PLAYBOOK on every republican that starts growing in popularity. The issue is not whether most democrats bought it all hook, line and sinker. Of course they did. They think he's Satan. Naturally. But even more so in his case. He seems to invite it and eat it up. It fires up his base, but it guarantees he will only ever appeal to his base.

...the small percentage of people that swing back and forth between parties, and among the people that sometimes vote and other times don't.These are the people that decide elections. Walker will probably be way more palatable to them. (We'll see if Walker soars or crashes and burns.) I'm not sure anybody really likes Jeb Bush but then I don't think anybody much liked George Bush when he was a juggernaut candidate. I remember the inevitability of his nomination and his huge war chest even though there didn't seem to be any actual enthusiasm about him back in 1999ish. Apparently that's the gift of being a Bush.

I think his standing among republicans is fine.Well, the poll image I posted above is from Republican primary voters just last week or so. He has a hell of a lot of ground to make up...

JustRalph
03-17-2015, 04:18 PM
We need extreme measures

reckless
03-17-2015, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the poll, GT. I liked what I saw! My personal top 3 are all down near the bottom. :)

Rick Perry, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio are my picks and luckily, all are considered 'unelectable' to those polled. My fourth favorite is Bobby Jindal, and he doesn't even get a sniff. Just like MSNBC and most shows on CNN :).

You do know this poll means absolutely nothing at all, especially since today's St. Paddy's Day, right, GT?

Since our election campaign seasons never end these days, it's way too early for me to get into the weeds, try as I might like to.

But, for now, just please note:

When Ted Cruz decided to run for the US Senate, he originally polled at 2-3 per cent in a field of 10 or so in the Texas GOP primary. The front-runner was someone that the Bush family, from Pappy Bush on down thru baby Jeb and Jeb's son, the 'little brown one', all endorsed, promoted and strong-armed for the nomination.

Ted Cruz stuck to his conservative convictions and leap frogged the field to finish second and force a run-off, which he won, of course. As an underdog in the general election, Cruz won easily.

The same thing happened to Sen. Marco Rubio. The state GOP establishment, led by baby Bush Jeb, wanted phony Charlie Crist, a self-described moderate, to win the US Senate seat. Rubio, a state rep at the time, never ran for state-wide office and was given little chance. Well, you might remember the rest: Crist gets thumped, and is so angry at the citizens of Florida that he decides to hurt Rubio's chances by running as a 3rd-party candidate. He even secured the support of Wash DC democrats such as Obama.

But Rubio became another 'unelectable' conservative candidate who won when he beat off both Crist and Obama, not to mention all the experts and pollsters.

The Democrats in Texas hated Rick Perry the second he became governor when G.W. Bush became president in 2001. He was called lucky, stupid and even a horrible governor. He also was 'unelectable' when his first term came to an end.

I am sure you know Perry won about three elections for Governor and is the longest-sitting governor in the history of the great state of Texas.

Anyone that believes in any 2016 presidential poll in March 2015 will be in for a rude awakening, regardless of personal preferences.

_______
03-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Ted Cruz is a bright guy and I think he knows he won't be elected president in 2016. But there are reasons other than having an expectation to win that are going to be seen by him and his supporters as just as valid and I expect to see him mount a campaign.

He will run to keep whomever is the nominee's feet to the conservative fire. Like Newt Gingrich in 2012, he is likely to have nearly unlimited financial support from a wealthy backer (or backers) that will allow him to keep running until the nomination is mathematically locked up.

Most analysis I see about Cruz seems to ignore what seems obvious to me. He isn't interested in moving up into Senate leadership. He doesn't play ball with the party leaders. He relishes the role of an outsider. That isn't a formula that is followed by anyone seriously picturing themselves in the Oval Office.

He sees victory in being the catalyst that pulls the national political discussion further in his direction. However you feel about his politics I think it's a mistake to underestimate either his intelligence or dedication to his cause. He doesn't need to be the nominee to win.

horses4courses
03-17-2015, 09:28 PM

Didn't stop the cons from jumping up n down and salivating about the birth origins of the POTUS.
His mother was a US citizen when he was born, wasn't she?

Oh yeah, Cruz is on their team!
You can never accuse conservatives of double standards, now can you? :bang:

Tom
03-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Simple to prove - show the BC.
Why are everyday things that everyone one does so hard for Barry and Hillary to do?

Inquiring Minds want to know.

fast4522
03-20-2015, 06:30 AM
We need extreme measures

OK

hcap
03-20-2015, 07:52 AM
Simple to prove - show the BC.
Why are everyday things that everyone one does so hard for Barry and Hillary to do?

Inquiring Minds want to know.How soon some cons forget the obvious

http://www.teapartytribune.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/bho-forged-birth-certificate.png

Let me refer everyone to this, before all sorts of squealing starts.....

http://www.politifact.com/subjects/obama-birth-certificate/

reckless
03-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Try this one for the settled science crowd. Yes, it blows your phony and altered birth certificate to pieces. All in the name of fair and balanced, of course.

Now, it's all you libs who can start your squealing and denying and ignoring. Yes, I mean all you haters... all you left wing dweebs who think it is cute and funny that a s-bag creep like Obama has in fact put one over on the American people. Laugh all the way to hell.

http://www.storyleak.com/obama-birth-certificate-confirmed-forgery-according-top-experts/

Saratoga_Mike
03-20-2015, 12:57 PM
The left wing media has done everything in its power to discredit Cruz and make him look like an extremist. However, THAT'S THEIR PLAYBOOK on every republican that starts growing in popularity. The issue is not whether most democrats bought it all hook, line and sinker. Of course they did. They think he's Satan.

NONE of this is relevant. He just isn't likable. Therefore, he isn't electable (for prez).

Clocker
03-20-2015, 01:36 PM
NONE of this is relevant. He just isn't likable. Therefore, he isn't electable (for prez).

Yep. Presidential politics today is about selling the sizzle, not the steak. Cruz has zero sizzle for the low information voter.

hcap
03-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Try this one for the settled science crowd. Yes, it blows your phony and altered birth certificate to pieces. All in the name of fair and balanced, of course.

Now, it's all you libs who can start your squealing and denying and ignoring. Yes, I mean all you haters... all you left wing dweebs who think it is cute and funny that a s-bag creep like Obama has in fact put one over on the American people. Laugh all the way to hell.

http://www.storyleak.com/obama-birth-certificate-confirmed-forgery-according-top-experts/ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

riskman
03-20-2015, 02:13 PM

Cruz may have all the ingredients to be a decent president. If voters do not accept him or relate to his politics and his demeanor he will never sit in the Oval Office.
I never thought Jimmy Carter or Ronald Reagan would get their respective Dem or Repub nods, and history proved me wrong. To early at this point for me to gravitate to anyone except that Hillary or for that matter any Dem is not on my radar.

FantasticDan
03-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Yep. Presidential politics today is about selling the sizzle, not the steak. Cruz has zero sizzle for the low information voter.What about for the high information voter, like yourself?

hihoilF0kGY

:lol: :ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike
03-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Yep. Presidential politics today is about selling the sizzle, not the steak. Cruz has zero sizzle for the low information voter.

Jeb is mostly steak, agree or disagree with his various positions, and he's still a very viable candidate. Cruz isn't likable. He's arrogant, preachy and a provocateur (in the name of media attention). I probably agree with 80% of his positions, but I realize he'll never be president. I can't decide who has less of a chance of being elected prez: Cruz or Chris Christie.

Tom
03-21-2015, 04:21 PM
What a sad group of people we Americans are.

With all the problems in the world today, we are worried about who is likeable.
We deserve the scumbags we elect.

Cruz has good ideas but we don't like him.
Obama has nothing good yet we like him.

What a bunch of saps we are.

Saratoga_Mike
03-21-2015, 07:42 PM

Kennedy/Nixon - the likeability factor isn't exactly new.

horses4courses
03-21-2015, 07:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAocDDiXIAASicp.jpg:medium

badcompany
03-21-2015, 10:48 PM

What about Vince for Prez?

He certainly won't concern himself with what Pinkos Libs think about him?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lTzWJd1uRn4/Uhllc8cdOgI/AAAAAAAAIk0/-QVcuBqVgcA/s400/277e0-vince-mcmahon-walk.gif

reckless
03-22-2015, 07:29 AM
On a local radio show I listen to on Saturdays the host said that Ted Cruz will announce that he's going to run for President on Monday or so this coming week.

Ted Cruz is the only GOP candidate to be totally against open borders and/or amnesty. He's been that way since Day One. Consistency and conviction, something America wants going forward.

No jive talk from Cruz: No open borders, No amnesty. Security and sovereignty, winning issues in 2016.[/B]

Other contenders such as Scott Walker and Marco Rubio talk around the issue, sad to admit. But, yet, those two are still way better than the total appeasement and surrender talk that comes from guaranteed losers such as Jeb Bush and Chris Christie.

Let's go Ted!

Robert Goren
03-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Unlike Rand Paul who is totally crazy, Ted Cruz is crazy like a fox. That said, it is hard to find a path for him to get the GOP nod and nearly impossible for him to win the general. I think he is running for the VP spot or to set up a future a more favorable time, but you never know with politicians. I believe he would be a terrible president if he practiced what he preaches now.
In an interesting piece of irony, he would not even be in the US if his proposed immigration policies were in effect back when his father entered the country.

Big Russ
03-22-2015, 09:58 AM

About the only thing I will add is that it's not just Americans, it seems to me to be basically a human thing. On the one hand we do some amazing things. On the other hand, what the hell have we learned in a couple of thousand years. Maybe I'm just getting too damn old, but I don't really see a happy ending for the humans of planet earth.

ArlJim78
03-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Cruz is skipping the exploratory committee nonsense and will announce tomorrow. Get ready for exploding heads on both sides of the aisle.

TJDave
03-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Cruz is skipping the exploratory committee nonsense and will announce tomorrow.

At Liberty University. Which shows how not serious his campaign will be.

reckless
03-22-2015, 01:38 PM

Where should Ted Cruz make his announcement, the Harvard Law School?

Actually, I think that would be a great idea. It will give the 'media' an opportunity to ask the very liberal law professor Alan Dershowitz what he thought of Cruz when Ted was a student of his. The left wing media just loves to harass older college professors of GOP candidates so that shouldn't pose any problems for them.

And since they'll already be at Harvard, maybe the same 'media' could also get a peak at Barack Obama's Harvard Law Review editorial writings and opinions, as well as his transcripts and grades. I am sure an 'intellectual' such as Obama would gladly share that information, modestly speaking, of course.

You're all for that TJDave, aren't you?

RunForTheRoses
03-23-2015, 08:49 AM
The usual suspect have their panties in a knot and their foot in their mouths over Cruz announcing (a positive imho for Cruz):

http://twitchy.com/2015/03/22/modern-family-writerexecutive-producer-makes-really-bad-ted-cruz-birth-certificate-joke/

I could see Cruz winning if several things falling into place-Hillary harming herself and/or people just tired of her act, black vote not as active due to Obama fatigue, the Latino vote giving Cruz more support than they normally would a Republican, and finally and most important the white vote coming out in droves, it can still swing an election if united:

http://www.vdare.com/articles/election-2010-and-the-unmentionable-sailer-strategy-white-vote-still-key

RunForTheRoses
03-23-2015, 08:50 AM

No.

http://www.vdare.com/posts/ted-cruz-announces-run-for-president-at-midnight-on-twitter

ArlJim78
03-23-2015, 12:26 PM
okay I give up, why does that mean his campaign is not serious?

horses4courses
03-23-2015, 01:33 PM
The questions surrounding TC's background make those
raised about the POTUS fade into insignificance.
Geez, this reads like a fricking episode of "Days of Our Lives"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAzAMP2UcAA-aTf.jpg:medium

Clocker
03-23-2015, 01:38 PM

Liberty University is a Christian school, so obviously announcing there would be pandering to the guns and religion bitter clingers. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2015, 01:41 PM
At Liberty University. Which shows how not serious his campaign will be.Careful...you're on a losing streak after Bibi...

reckless
03-23-2015, 02:20 PM
Careful...you're on a losing streak after Bibi...

Ah, that's why Dave avoided answering my question after he knocked Liberty. I am of the opinion that maybe Cruz should have gone to Harvard for his announcement.

So then. maybe, the media could ask liberal professor Alan Dershowitz's opinion of his ex-student Cruz capabilities and smarts.

I know the potential answer to that question to Dershowitz and (maybe) so does Dave, which is why is he's avoiding us.

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Ol' Dershowitz may not be the best of character witnesses at this point in time... :lol:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/3/13/dershowitz-denies-allegations-filing/

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2015, 02:22 PM

I'm skeptical.

I'm not a huge fan but there's no doubt that he's probably as politically shrewd as anyone and more intelligent than most. He can't think the time is right for his flavor to be elected and if he's sincere and honest with himself about it - which I think he is - then I have to think the exercise is more about getting his name out there even more, adding to the resume, gaining some valuable experience about the process and then spending the rest of eternity cashing giant checks while writing and talking about it on the radio and on television.

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Or in other words...a smarter version of Sarah Palin...

They can't paint him as an imbecile with his academic credentials, so they'll paint him as a nut instead...

I can't wait for the day it backfires on them...

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2015, 02:33 PM

I can see the parallel, but I think too much of Palin's appeal is the conservative woman with a gun thang for it to be quite right. She seemed like a short shelf life even if I tried to imagine myself liking her.

I think Cruz could be a legit de facto leader of his type of conservative, but I'm not sure he can do it within the party he currently is a member of. He may need to be outside of the party to influence its constituents in the way that he'd really like to. I don't see the Republican machine backing this horse now and I don't see Cruz having much more desire to work within and play the game and be a victim of circumstance or flash polling. I suspect he has plans, and backup plans, and backup backup plans, and all involve him coming out okay.

ArlJim78
03-23-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm skeptical.

I'm not a huge fan but there's no doubt that he's probably as politically shrewd as anyone and more intelligent than most. He can't think the time is right for his flavor to be elected and if he's sincere and honest with himself about it - which I think he is - then I have to think the exercise is more about getting his name out there even more, adding to the resume, gaining some valuable experience about the process and then spending the rest of eternity cashing giant checks while writing and talking about it on the radio and on television.
Why is it not the time for his flavor?

Clocker
03-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Ol' Dershowitz may not be the best of character witnesses at this point in time... :lol:

I was going to say that Dershowitz had nothing to worry about, being a solid liberal and being in Bill Clinton's shadow on those private plane parties.

But he may have just torn up his get out of jail free card:

Famed defense attorney and retired Harvard Law School professor Alan Dershowitz ripped President Barack Obama in an address to a conference of pro-Israel activists in Los Angeles on Saturday evening. Dershowitz, who backed Obama in both the 2008 and 2012 elections, expressed strong disappointment with President Obama’s recent treatment of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, as well as the weak negotiating posture of the Obama administration in talks with Iran.

“I wouldn’t hire this administration to negotiate a one-month lease for me,” Dershowitz said.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/03/22/dershowitz-rips-obama-on-iran-couldnt-negotiate-a-one-month-lease/

_______
03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm skeptical.

Ditto. I think he knows he won't be elected president in 2016. I don't dismiss the potential for personal gain as a possible motivating factor but I think this is (to his mind) about a lot more than him. I believe he sees his candidacy as the best way to advance the conservative agenda regardless of who gets elected in 2016.

reckless
03-23-2015, 02:38 PM

They can't paint him as an imbecile with his academic credentials, so they'll paint him as a nut instead...

And that day began today. The clock has officially begun.

My GOP Final Four, in order: :)

Ted Cruz, Rick Perry, Scott Walker, Chris Christie.

The Dems Final Four:

Al Gore Jr., Jim Webb, Liz Warren, Joe Biden.

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Why is it not the time for his flavor?

My opinion - just too conservative for a national election. I don't think you can win preaching social conservative ideals any longer. At least not now. Yes, there is a thirst for it, but not enough to carry an election. I still think the only real chance they have is to stop the divide and conquer of their own party and do it to the other party and try the whole libertarian thing. Fed up independents could go that way but I can't see them lining up with the anti-abortion NRA crowd and thats if you assume the "soft" conservatives can even line up with them.

I'm sure we'll cycle back to wanting a guy like Cruz one day, I just really doubt that it is now.

ArlJim78
03-23-2015, 04:41 PM
My opinion - just too conservative for a national election. I don't think you can win preaching social conservative ideals any longer. At least not now. Yes, there is a thirst for it, but not enough to carry an election. I still think the only real chance they have is to stop the divide and conquer of their own party and do it to the other party and try the whole libertarian thing. Fed up independents could go that way but I can't see them lining up with the anti-abortion NRA crowd and thats if you assume the "soft" conservatives can even line up with them.

I'm sure we'll cycle back to wanting a guy like Cruz one day, I just really doubt that it is now.
I haven't seen that side of him I guess, preaching about social conservative ideals that is. If his speech today is any indication I think he's going to do very well, better than the conventional wisdom.

Rookies
03-23-2015, 05:25 PM

Well, well, well, Tommy.

Clearly America is raising their requirements for presidential electability, by allowing CANADIANS to enter the race!:jump:

Ergo, I will certainly entertain the idea. If so, my candidacy wil kickoff at The Spa in August. At least 2 planks come to mind:
1) Pot in every Chicken
2) Legalized Gambling on anything, everywhere.
Ok, one more...

As one of the few countries in the world with enormous H2O resources, Canada will start selling water to America, in exchange for lifetime visitation/ free residency rights to say... Sanibel, Captiva, San Diego, Monterrey and the U.S. Virgin Islands ( in the winter months). I'll come up with the Summer sites later... :lol: :cool:

TJDave
03-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Liberty University is a Christian school, so obviously announcing there would be pandering to the guns and religion bitter clingers. :rolleyes:

Cruz does not have the broad-based support needed to win the nomination. He wants to be a power broker or spoiler. If I were a serious contender for President I would announce in my home state.

badcompany
03-23-2015, 06:49 PM

Agree. Things aren't bad enough to want the complete opposite of Obama. The Dems are, in a way, lucky the Pubs took over the House and put the brakes on the Obama Pinko Train. Had this not happened, the Pubs would be a lock for Prez in 2016.

pandy
03-23-2015, 07:01 PM
there was a time when I would have thought that Cruz would have no shot, but Obama won two terms and he was a Senator for a short time and really didn't do anything as a Senator, and he had close associations with the radical left. Obama was a game changer. Anything is possible now.

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2015, 07:05 PM
I haven't seen that side of him I guess, preaching about social conservative ideals that is. If his speech today is any indication I think he's going to do very well, better than the conventional wisdom.

"Preaching" may have been a bit of a loaded word and I didn't meant to necessarily imply that it was a staple of his politics to push those positions. But, unfortunately for him, those issues will be pushed specifically to make it clear that he is indeed socially conservative and turn that element of him into the main attraction as a caricature, tethering him to some label as "far right", which is now essentially a euphemism for cranky old woman hating white racist it has been associated with such imagery and such so often these days.

fast4522
03-23-2015, 07:18 PM

The truth is conservative is what is needed, had Mitt Romney been one OBO would have been toast. When you put two liberals in a race the better liberal will win. Forget about giving liberals what they want, play to win. Some years ago I watched Robert Dole in a tough election fight and in the final weeks he went for the jugular and closed the race, just like Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did. Winners are not afraid of the fire, do not be surprised when things do not go as you want.

johnhannibalsmith
03-23-2015, 07:43 PM
... do not be surprised when things do not go as you want.

I'm pretty certain anymore that there isn't a whole lot of chance of things ever going how I want.

Tom
03-23-2015, 09:47 PM

It's amazing how many people are afraid to discuss the issues.
I blame that on the pathetic excuse of a media we have.
People too damn lazy to do a little research and talk from facts rather than personalities.

The democrats are nothing more than a party of thieves and character assassins. Throw in the occasional terror supporters and totally useless idiots (Barry and Kerry) and you have their whole platform covered.

JustRalph
03-23-2015, 09:57 PM
As one of the few countries in the world with enormous H2O resources, Canada will start selling water to America, in exchange for lifetime visitation/ free residency rights to say... Sanibel, Captiva, San Diego, Monterrey and the U.S. Virgin Islands ( in the winter months). I'll come up with the Summer sites later... :lol: :cool:

We don't have to buy the water. You have almost no military. We can take a drink whenever we want

Rookies
03-23-2015, 10:09 PM
We don't have to buy the water. You have almost no military. We can take a drink whenever we want

We'll see. Many States are in deep doo, doo, Ralph. What did I read today? Cal outta water in 2016?

JustRalph
03-23-2015, 11:18 PM
We'll see. Many States are in deep doo, doo, Ralph. What did I read today? Cal outta water in 2016?

You know I was just being snarky..... :jump:

But you're right. I think California is in real trouble. Why they are not building desalination plants is beyond me. But they will spend 60 billion on high speed rail.

GameTheory
03-23-2015, 11:31 PM
You know I was just being snarky..... :jump:

But you're right. I think California is in real trouble. Why they are not building desalination plants is beyond me. But they will spend 60 billion on high speed rail.
They are building the biggest desalination plant in the world right now in San Diego. Which will be only for San Diego. They'll need more. Desalination brings its own environmental problems (it takes an enormous amount of energy, they dump half the water back into the ocean but with all the salt so it does who-knows-what to marine life, etc), so it will be a tough pill for California to swallow...

ReplayRandall
03-23-2015, 11:35 PM
They are building the biggest desalination plant in the world right now in San Diego. Which will be only for San Diego. They'll need more. Desalination brings its own environmental problems (it takes an enormous amount of energy, they dump half the water back into the ocean but with all the salt so it does who-knows-what to marine life, etc), so it will be a tough pill for California to swallow...
Carlsbad Desalination Plant Gets Close To Making Fresh Water
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/mar/19/carlsbad-desalination-plant-getting-close-making-f/

JustRalph
03-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Cool

I wasn't aware :ThmbUp:

rastajenk
03-24-2015, 07:24 AM
I'm pretty certain anymore that there isn't a whole lot of chance of things ever going how I want.
I feel the same way, but it really gets pounded home during these three weeks of Bracketeering.

highnote
03-25-2015, 02:37 AM
If you want to know who the winner of the next U.S. presidential election will be don't follow the opinion polls, follow the money -- the betting money.

In the most recent prez election the betting markets were correct in 50 out of 50 states.

If Cruz wins the republican nomination it will be a huge gift to the dems and the dem nominee will be a virtual lock to win.

Right now, people who think Cruz will lose will give you 70-1 in the betting markets for Cruz to win. Hillary is 3/2. Jeb is 5-1.

The bid/ask spreads are pretty wide except on HC. She is getting a lot of betting volume -- 3/2 to win versus 3.3/2 lose.

Bush's spread (pardon the pun) is between 5-1 win and 8-1 to lose.

Even though Layers (bettors who think Cruz will lose) are offering 70-1 to Backers (bettors who think that Cruz will win), Backers of Cruz are asking for 1000-1. And there is only $15 on offer at 1000-1. So at this point no one is willing to bet serious money on Cruz to win.

If you think Cruz has a shot in hell then you can almost surely find someone in the betting markets who will gladly take your bet. I would think that if you wanted 100-1 on Cruz to win you could find people who would take as much of your action as you want.

rastajenk
03-25-2015, 07:42 AM
When you say the markets were correct in 50 out of 50 states in 2012, is that true at a point 18 months out? What exactly does that mean?

highnote
03-25-2015, 03:48 PM
When you say the markets were correct in 50 out of 50 states in 2012, is that true at a point 18 months out? What exactly does that mean?

I was wrong about the election -- not 2012 -- it was the Bush/Kerry election.

Not sure of the exact time frame. That's a quote from Leighton Vaughn-Williams, a U.K. academic who studies the efficiency of betting markets -- particularly as they relate to elections. He likened the markets picking 50 state election winners to someone tipping 50 winners in a row.

He was referring to the Bush/Kerry election where the opinion polls had different predictions than the favorite in the betting markets. The markets were right in 50 out of 50 states, but the opinion polls were not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02mkb9c

green80
03-25-2015, 05:47 PM

Doesn't the law say "born of citizen parents" (plural)?

green80
03-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Do not confuse citizen and "natural born citizen". Cruz says he is a citizen, which he is, but he has not used the term "natural born citizen" which is the requirement.

_______
03-25-2015, 06:22 PM
Do not confuse citizen and "natural born citizen". Cruz says he is a citizen, which he is, but he has not used the term "natural born citizen" which is the requirement.

A child born outside the United States to one citizen parent and one alien parent still receives citizenship so long as the citizen parent lived in the United States for 10 years or more (at least 5 of which came after the age of 14).

This rule applies to anyone born before 1986 which I assume covers all those who you might be inquiring about.

fast4522
03-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Your right.

green80
03-25-2015, 11:03 PM
A child born outside the United States to one citizen parent and one alien parent still receives citizenship so long as the citizen parent lived in the United States for 10 years or more (at least 5 of which came after the age of 14).

This rule applies to anyone born before 1986 which I assume covers all those who you might be inquiring about.

Yes, they may be citizen, but are they a natural born citizen (as opposed to just a citizen). There must be a difference.

Clocker
03-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Yes, they may be citizen, but are they a natural born citizen (as opposed to just a citizen). There must be a difference.

The term is not defined in the Constitution. It is generally assumed that a natural born citizen is one who is a citizen at birth, as opposed to a naturalized citizen who attains citizenship later in life. There appear to be no laws or court decisions to the contrary. Cruz appears to have had citizenship at birth.

Spiderman
03-25-2015, 11:18 PM
That's the ticket!

Clocker
03-25-2015, 11:24 PM
That's the ticket!

Great. Between the two of them, they have twice as much executive experience as Obama did.

green80
03-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Does anybody know,
Did Cruz ever register for the draft?

TJDave
03-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Does anybody know,
Draft ended in 1973. Cruz was born in 1970.

Clocker
03-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Draft ended in 1973. Cruz was born in 1970.

Registration is still required for males 18-26.

Tom
03-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Does anybody know,

Are you curious about Obama, too?

reckless
03-27-2015, 07:53 AM

I am even more curious about the dope dealer that sold Obama some weed and some crack in Barry's 'informative' years.

green80
03-27-2015, 08:22 AM

No, Obama did not, no doubt about it. All of Obama's documents posted online are forgeries. At least with Cruz, we know who he is.

GaryG
03-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Country Music urges listeners to go kill muslims, so this "lady" says

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2015/03/25/msnbc-guest-nothing-says-lets-go-kill-some-muslims-like-country-music-msnbc-host-not-appropriate/

RunForTheRoses
03-27-2015, 08:22 PM
I am getting the vibe that it will be an uphill battle. The other morning I was in the bus waiting room and they had on CBS Morning Show which was doing a feature on Cruz. An older African American woman snarled at the TV when he criticized and said he would repeal Obamacare and this white dood, older student type (like 40s) waiting for the bus, laughed hysterically out loud when they played a piece from David Letterman (that fake, phony fraud) making a joke that he was born in Canada with a foreign parent but he wants to do away with immigration.

Then I just saw this on facebook:
...Then again none of these folks would have voted for him anyway. He just needs massive enthusiasm from supporters. To me it is a positive that he is Mr Government Shutdown.

fast4522
03-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Hear ye Hear ye, NO NEED TO REPEAL.

http://www.againstcronycapitalism.org/2014/06/here-comes-the-death-spiral-obamacares-prognosis-grows-dimmer/

rastajenk
03-28-2015, 07:08 AM
The more the DemLibs dig to come up with tiny justifications for their faux apoplectic rage at this guy's success, the more I like him. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
03-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Clocker...is this the scathing post where you deemed Cruz to be "unelectable"? And here I thought you had meant it as a negative... :rolleyes:

highnote
03-28-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't know if someone already pointed this out, but Cruz does look a little bit like Al Lewis.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Even Al Lewis might have made a better president then the current one... :lol:

highnote
03-28-2015, 01:56 PM

There is a very good possibility he would have!

Clocker
03-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Clocker...is this the scathing post where you deemed Cruz to be "unelectable"? And here I thought you had meant it as a negative... :rolleyes:

I don't have any idea what your post means. Cruz's lack of charisma is a negative as a candidate. He has others, such as his lack of executive experience and his lack of any demonstrated leadership skills. The latter will hurt him with issue voters, the former with low information voters.

fast4522
03-28-2015, 04:06 PM

Well ya, like Al Lewis loved the United States.

Hoofless_Wonder
03-28-2015, 05:09 PM
I don't have any idea what your post means. Cruz's lack of charisma is a negative as a candidate. He has others, such as his lack of executive experience and his lack of any demonstrated leadership skills. The latter will hurt him with issue voters, the former with low information voters.

I gotta believe after Obama, race enters as a variable. I don't have a clue how Ted Cruz polls with Hispanics, but if they are as racist as blacks, by November 2016 there should be enough illegals in the U.S. with voting cards to put Senor Cruz in the money.

On the other hand, it's a rigged game anyway. We won't see anyone in the White House that isn't owned by the Banksters, regardless of party or platform.

burnsy
03-28-2015, 05:57 PM
The latter will hurt him with issue voters, the former with low information voters.

That's the definition of a Republican or Democrat. So there is plenty of them out there.

Here's why this guy can't win and the Republicans KNOW some of these people can't if they understand the numbers.....they basically put people up there that have no shot in the electoral college. California 55, NY 29, Washington state 12........with someone like Cruz they are down 96-0 right there with Pennsylvania 20 and Florida 29 those are sometimes border line but its another 49 right there.......that pretty much sums up how Obama kicked Romneys ass last time. Like I've said before I really think they don't care if they win. Both sides get a lot of mileage by blaming everything on the president. They know full well months before that they have no shot, no one, even politicians can't be that bad at math.

Highnote is right the people that book bets on elections will be offering 100-1 soon and laughing at the suckers that take it. Like it or not the Democrats run a "political machine" for national elections the Republicans let pizza guys and stuffy asses get traction...it doesn't even meet the demos of the big states and cities which spells loser.....I favor some of their ideas but their reluctance to shed the "social crap" will just be a heavier anchor as the older generations die. Pot will be legal and so will gay marriage, get off your high horse already....you lost. As a libertarian the Republicans have some good thoughts but their foreign policy, spying on citizens and the social garbage is a loser with us. Some way they pass it off as "conservative".

Saratoga_Mike
03-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Regardless of who Reps run, they aren't winning Cali or NY. It's like suggesting Dems should run a candidate who can sweep the Deep South. Reps need a candidate who can win important swing states like Ohio, Florida and Colorado.

Love the high-horse comment from Burnsy...rich.

TJDave
03-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Reps need a candidate who can win important swing states like Ohio, Florida and Colorado.

Republicans could win all three and still lose.

Saratoga_Mike
03-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Republicans could win all three and still lose.

Right, start with a base of 206 electoral votes (Romney states) from 2012 and assume they're all safe (not a bold prediction really). Those three states would contribute 58 electoral votes, then the Rep candidate would need to pick up a few small states along the way (e.g., NV can be flipped). Tight math, no question.

TJDave
03-29-2015, 01:24 PM
I could see a Bush/Walker ticket winning Florida, Wisconsin, Nevada, Virginia and Iowa. If everything else held they would squeak by.

JustRalph
03-29-2015, 04:25 PM
I could see a Bush/Walker ticket winning Florida, Wisconsin, Nevada, Virginia and Iowa. If everything else held they would squeak by.

Yeah, how great would that be!

Then we would be stuck with a guy who wants to open the borders and play patty cake with the Dem's

Walker would be stupid to take the offer

TJDave
03-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Yeah, how great would that be!

Then we would be stuck with a guy who wants to open the borders and play patty cake with the Dem's

Walker would be stupid to take the offer

That's one way to look at it. Another would be a veto proof republican congress. ;)

green80
03-31-2015, 07:32 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7IbmtX5u06k/VRrvkxE7MkI/AAAAAAAAe-I/WQEuydv6bdQ/s1600/StateDepartment-EligibilityForPresidency-NaturalBornCitizen-HL1%2Bop.jpg

highnote
03-31-2015, 08:18 PM
In the case of Cruz this is almost a moot point because he has very little chance of winning. However, it would be good to get a more definitive ruling on this for future candidates.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7IbmtX5u06k/VRrvkxE7MkI/AAAAAAAAe-I/WQEuydv6bdQ/s1600/StateDepartment-EligibilityForPresidency-NaturalBornCitizen-HL1%2Bop.jpg

JustRalph
04-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Uh oh......

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/polltracker/ppp-poll-ted-cruz-surges

Cruz surges in poll

highnote
04-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Uh oh......

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/polltracker/ppp-poll-ted-cruz-surges

Cruz surges in poll

Care to make a friendly wager? I bet that Cruz won't win the presidency. If he does I'll buy you beer at the Spa. :)

I have to admit, I hope he wins the nomination. Can you imagine how ballistic the left wing will go over his natural born citizen status given what the birthers did to Obama? LOL

JustRalph
04-02-2015, 12:22 AM
Care to make a friendly wager? I bet that Cruz won't win the presidency. If he does I'll buy you beer at the Spa. :)

I have to admit, I hope he wins the nomination. Can you imagine how ballistic the left wing will go over his natural born citizen status given what the birthers did to Obama? LOL

Hard to bet when I agree with you. I can hope though. I like the guy.

But we really don't know what the hell is going to happen. Lots of time to go

highnote
04-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Hard to bet when I agree with you. I can hope though. I like the guy.

But we really don't know what the hell is going to happen. Lots of time to go

All it takes is one good scandal and the opposing party can win it.

If the choice is between Jeb or Hillary, Jeb seems more electable to me, but does America really want or need 4 more years of Bush or Clinton?

Hopefully, the old adage that familiarity breeds contempt will prove to be true and some new face will come into the picture.

I did NOT vote for Obama because I wanted hope and change and he was not the person who could deliver it.

GameTheory
04-02-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm wondering if Hillary would be able to mobilize the youth & minority vote at this point in her life or she will just seem like same old, same old? (Especially if the other side seems to be also.) Then it could be that you'd have mid-term like turnout, which skews to the right as we just saw. If turnout is high, I think Dems probably win as the map is in their favor, but if it is lukewarm the Repubs might have a chance...

PaceAdvantage
04-02-2015, 12:55 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Hilary will run and that she will garner a tremendous amount of support from women...the media will make sure her past and current transgressions will be as whitewashed as possible, at the same time demonizing whomever is leading in the Republican polls.

Hillary is pretty much a lock in 2016...

green80
04-02-2015, 01:39 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Hilary will run and that she will garner a tremendous amount of support from women...the media will make sure her past and current transgressions will be as whitewashed as possible, at the same time demonizing whomever is leading in the Republican polls.

Hillary is pretty much a lock in 2016...
Hillary Clinton (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/hillary-clinton/today) 11/10
Jeb Bush (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/jeb-bush/today) 7/2
Marco Rubio (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/marco-rubio/today) 12
Scott Walker (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/scott-walker/today) 12
Rand Paul (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/rand-paul/today) 18
Elizabeth Warren (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/elizabeth-warren/today) 18
Joe Biden (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/joe-biden/today) 25
Chris Christie (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/chris-christie/today) 18
Kirsten Gillibrand (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/kirsten-gillibrand/today) 40
Mitt Romney (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/mitt-romney/today) 47
Ted Cruz (http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner/bet-history/ted-cruz/today) 33
from the offshore odds, it appears that you are correct. I hope for a longshot.

Tom
04-02-2015, 01:50 PM
I am confident that once Hillary is the candidate, those email trails will come out of hiding. Some has copies of the emails and are not going to ruin it by revealing it too soon.

What can she possible run on?
Everything she has ever been involved with politically has been a total failure.
She has no successes.

And, she if just butt ugly.
Enough people are going to decide she is too ugly to run.

No record, no looks, a short fuse....anyone who thinks she is qualified is daffy.

Clocker
04-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Well, it looks like Ted Cruz' run for the presidency is toast. Those crack investigative journalists at Mother Jones have come up with indisputable proof of his sordid past. At one time, Cruz was a lawyer in private practice! :eek:

And he represented actual clients!! :eek: :eek:

Oh, the humanity!!!

In his bio on his presidential campaign website, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) boasts of what he did as Texas solicitor general to defend the Second Amendment, the Pledge of Allegiance, and US sovereignty—all conservative causes. But Cruz does not detail another important chapter in his legal career: his work as a well-paid private attorney who helped corporations found guilty of wrongdoing.

Luckily for the Dems, there is no evidence that Obama ever helped a client. :p

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/ted-cruz-lawyer-braun-medical-shandong-linglong

Tom
04-09-2015, 02:51 PM
the Second Amendment, the Pledge of Allegiance, and US sovereignty—all conservative causes

What planet are theses morons from????

GameTheory
04-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Well, it looks like Ted Cruz' run for the presidency is toast. Those crack investigative journalists at Mother Jones have come up with indisputable proof of his sordid past. At one time, Cruz was a lawyer in private practice! :eek:

And he represented actual clients!! :eek: :eek:

Oh, the humanity!!!

Luckily for the Dems, there is no evidence that Obama ever helped a client. :p

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/ted-cruz-lawyer-braun-medical-shandong-linglong

Didn't Hillary defend a rapist or something? Lawyers shouldn't be judged for being "on the wrong side" of a case, it's absurd -- there are after all lawyers on both sides of every case, and that's how it is supposed to be. If they do something unethical or outrageous, ok fine, but a lawyer doing his/her job? Please. When will people realize that if you have to grasp at straws and make up nonsense in order to criticize someone that it makes the target look BETTER because then we can assume there must be nothing of substance out there to attack them for.

Clocker
04-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Didn't Hillary defend a rapist or something? Lawyers shouldn't be judged for being "on the wrong side" of a case, it's absurd -- there are after all lawyers on both sides of every case, and that's how it is supposed to be.
It's the basis of our legal system.

Hillary was once a court-appointed attorney for a child rapist. He was found guilty. She got him a lighter sentence using what the victim, 12 years old at the time, later called an "attack the victim" defense.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/06/20/rape-victim-claims-hillary-clinton-smeared-her-lied-in-court-documents/

Mother Jones also neglects to mention that 2004 Democratic VP candidate John Edwards was a trail attorney who made millions trying tort cases.

Saratoga_Mike
04-09-2015, 04:59 PM
I am confident that once Hillary is the candidate, those email trails will come out of hiding. Some has copies of the emails and are not going to ruin it by revealing it too soon.

What can she possible run on?
Everything she has ever been involved with politically has been a total failure.
She has no successes.

And, she if just butt ugly.
Enough people are going to decide she is too ugly to run.

No record, no looks, a short fuse....anyone who thinks she is qualified is daffy.

Cogent political analysis.

Clocker
04-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Cogent political analysis.

Hard to argue with that kind of inside politics thinking.

So I guess that means that Elizabeth Warren will get the nod for the Democratic nomination. She's just another pretty face, but obviously electable.

rastajenk
04-09-2015, 06:37 PM
She's a corporate lawyer too! What's the world coming to when lawyers are running for public office? :faint:

johnhannibalsmith
04-09-2015, 06:54 PM
I voted against John Adams too.

ReplayRandall
04-09-2015, 07:47 PM
I voted against John Adams too.
I don't like that Lager either........oops, that's Samuel Adams.. :cool:

horses4courses
08-06-2015, 09:56 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLxTZmLWwAEhcwb.jpg

Tom
08-06-2015, 09:59 PM
It would take 90 days to destroy the JV TEAM?
According to your fearless leader, ISIS is not threat.

But if you insist, he will definitely have a word with them at the family picnic this summer.

highnote
08-06-2015, 11:28 PM
Trump's odds drop from 13 down to about 9 after the debate.

Bush still the 3/2 favorite.

Walker in 2nd at 5-1 and Rubio in 3rd at 8-1.

ArlJim78
08-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Bush has family name recognition over all of them, 100's of millions in so-called smart money rolling in, softball gentle handling by Fox in the first debate, and yet he was a dud. Flat, uninspiring, barely interested, always with a sort of goofy look. I don't think he goes anywhere in this campaign. He is just lethargic and kind of reminds me of his fathers second campaign, just going through the motions.

fast4522
08-07-2015, 09:18 PM
I do not think he can win Florida, but it is a long time till February.

Tom
08-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Veto Corleone?

That alone disqualifies him. :lol:

If not thatnm then this would have....

In Flori-duh, they call me Jeb.
I earned that.

What the...... :confused: