PDA

View Full Version : The NYRA

ultracapper
03-16-2015, 12:39 AM
Front page article in BloodHorse that makes it sound like the NYRA is a muddled mess of government oversight and uninterested private enterprise. Can anybody explain this situation in 1000 words or less? Scary to think one of the most important racing jurisdictions is in such a liquid state.

Tom
03-16-2015, 09:24 AM
NYS is involved.
Expect nothing.

acorn54
03-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Front page article in BloodHorse that makes it sound like the NYRA is a muddled mess of government oversight and uninterested private enterprise. Can anybody explain this situation in 1000 words or less? Scary to think one of the most important racing jurisdictions is in such a liquid state.

i can explain it in TEN words or less.
nyra is out of touch with reality.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2015, 03:29 PM
i can explain it in TEN words or less.
nyra is out of touch with reality.How so?

acorn54
03-16-2015, 05:17 PM
How so?

very simply nyra was dysfunctional and the state stepped in and now we have the blind leading the blind.

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
very simply nyra was dysfunctional and the state stepped in and now we have the blind leading the blind.Not really an answer to the question...

How are they currently dysfunctional?

And why do people continue to pour handle into a dysfunctional product?

FantasticDan
03-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Not really an answer to the question...
How are they currently dysfunctional?From a year ago:

Steven Crist: AQU and NYRA a dysfunctional mess (http://www.drf.com/news/steven-crist-not-much-reorganizing-going-nyra)

Tom
03-17-2015, 03:59 PM
That is on NYS and Baby Mario - they are in charge.
NYRA is not to blame for the failures of the state and it's nitwit governor.
For their part, they put on the best racing has to offer day in day out.
The handle verifies this.

NYS is dysfunctional.
Baby Mario is dysfunctional.

dirty moose
03-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Can someone explain to me why the state has anything to do with racing? Is it like that in all states? Does the state have anything to do with finger lakes?

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2015, 04:46 PM
From a year ago:

Steven Crist: AQU and NYRA a dysfunctional mess (http://www.drf.com/news/steven-crist-not-much-reorganizing-going-nyra)Now a year ago = currently. Good to know.

FantasticDan
03-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Now a year ago = currently. Good to know.
:rolleyes:

http://media2.giphy.com/media/b9aScKLxdv0Y0/giphy.gif

ultracapper
03-17-2015, 09:57 PM
To kind of slide back into center here.

Is the state waiting for a private investor to step forward with a plan to operate the NYRA? If so, what are the difficulties these private investors are having in presenting an operational plan?

If I'm wrong about the scenario here, sorry. What got my attention is that the NYRA operates what may be the single most important racing jurisdiction in the country, but there are problems at the very top. Not what horse racing needs right now.

OTM Al
03-17-2015, 11:00 PM
To kind of slide back into center here.

Is the state waiting for a private investor to step forward with a plan to operate the NYRA? If so, what are the difficulties these private investors are having in presenting an operational plan?

If I'm wrong about the scenario here, sorry. What got my attention is that the NYRA operates what may be the single most important racing jurisdiction in the country, but there are problems at the very top. Not what horse racing needs right now.

Maybe they think they can get one but no one in their right mind would step in with the State in control of the property and a proven track record of simply rewriting the laws whenever convenient to step in and take away control. Further, there won't be VLT money when they get rid of the VLTs. They will suck it dry and leave behind a shell when they are done.