PDA

View Full Version : How long will he run?

OTM Al
05-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Another thread had a statement that Smarty Jones would likely run only 2 or 3 races more after the Belmont win or lose. Sadly, this is probably the truth as much as I'd love to see him do a 4yo campaign. The Donn or the Santa Anita Handicap would be fun to watch with him in it as a 4yo. Other than the Breeders Cup, what else do you all think he may run? The Travers would be an obvious choice though I would actually love to see him go home and run the Philadelphia Derby for the home town crowd. Travers is Aug 28th and Pha Derby is Sept 6, so there is no way he could do both. The Haskell is on August 8, so that would be a good one to get him in condition for either of the two above. Would be sure that he gets off till mid July at the least win or lose out of the Belmont. Would really like to go see this fellow run live so just trying to think about plotting a weekend get away.

kenwoodallpromos
05-18-2004, 11:52 AM
BC; Dubai; Arc D; Epson Derby.

ceejay
05-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Not counting Smarty's chickens before they hatch, I'd like to see Smarty face high-quality elders once prior to the BC. Maybe the Jockey Club. Pa Derby would be a good prep for that one....

OTM Al
05-18-2004, 12:40 PM
He will definitely need a end of sept beginning of october race in there to prep if he's doing the BC. Even after all he's done this year it still sounds like he's got a ton of go left and doesn't like long times off. I really hadn't been thinking grass at all, though the very unlikely European races ken listed reminded me that his sire is the mile world record holder on grass. Wonder if they would think about giving that a shot?

One of the guys who always goes to the same place I do to wager summed up Smarty about as well as you can at the moment after the Preakness. He said "Right now he is a very good horse. If he wins in 3 weeks, he is a great horse". Don't think much more can be said. Have to be up in Maine for a highschool graduation Belmont weekend, but have already staked out one of the rare Maine OTBs that is fairly near by (Brunswick) to watch the race. Anyone ever been there?

Bubbles
05-18-2004, 04:43 PM
What I'd do...

Belmont
Haskell
Travers
Jockey Club
Classic

4YO

Donn
Big Cap
Pimlico Special
Hollywood Gold Cup
Whitney
Woodward
Jockey Club
Classic

Four races after the Belmont as a 3YO, eight as a 4YO, all in the best of company. Not a rigorous schedule, but a very tough one. If followed, it would see exactly what Smarty was made of. If the Triple Crown doesn't prove it, that is.

cj
05-18-2004, 04:45 PM
I think it is 1-5 he will run in the Pennsylvania Derby if he is in training.

OTM Al
05-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Yep, replace the Travers with the Philly Derby and I think you have a real nice list there.

Binder
05-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey OTM Al I love that "The Philly Derby" LOL:)

The line starts here for what will be a great day
AT PHA
Another Smarty Party !!!

Speed Figure
05-18-2004, 05:14 PM
I say no way this horse runs more than 2 times after the belmont. The Haskell and Travers are only 20 days apart. I hope he gets a 60 day break after the belmont.

Valuist
05-18-2004, 05:25 PM
I say he's 1-5 to have to be retired at the end of 2004. I'll be shocked if he's in training next year.

Speed Figure
05-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
I say he's 1-5 to have to be retired at the end of 2004. I'll be shocked if he's in training next year.
I feel the same way. To much $ at stud on the line to race next year. He could get hurt, so why take a chance.

JPinMaryland
05-18-2004, 05:34 PM
why is it that horses cant do both stud and training? I dont understand that.

Buddha
05-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by JPinMaryland
why is it that horses cant do both stud and training? I dont understand that.

prolly just got their mind on things other than racing :)

CryingForTheHorses
05-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi as much as I would hate to see it,If he wins the Belmont..extra 5 million in the bank +another 6 million for winning the derby...650k for the preakness, Who knows what they will sydicate him for. I would retire him as an unbeaten triple crown winner.The heck with the other races,Wouldnt want to take the chance of bemishing his record.That only my opinion

rokitman
05-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
BC; Dubai; Arc D; Epson Derby.

It's a damn shame the Concorde is defunct because with the 6 hour time difference Smarty would be able to make it back from the Epsom Derby for the Belmont. There's gotta be some kind of super-spectacular bonus for winning those two races on the same day. :D

rokitman
05-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure
I say no way this horse runs more than 2 times after the belmont. The Haskell and Travers are only 20 days apart. I hope he gets a 60 day break after the belmont.

You guys are forgetting who owns Smarty. Mr. ThreePacksOfLuckysADay (True- see link)
http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4773593.html

They'll probably run him as much as possible until the old boy heads off to the big oxygen tank in the sky. That very well could be 3-4 races after the Belmont. Assuming no long lay-offs.

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2004, 10:58 PM
I hope to God Almighty above who graces this glorious Earth with his goodness that they DO NOT send Smarty Jones to Dubai.

so.cal.fan
05-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Amen to that, Brother PA!!!!!

JustRalph
05-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
Hi as much as I would hate to see it,If he wins the Belmont..extra 5 million in the bank +another 6 million for winning the derby...650k for the preakness, Who knows what they will sydicate him for. I would retire him as an unbeaten triple crown winner.The heck with the other races,Wouldnt want to take the chance of bemishing his record.That only my opinion

I agree with this........but the Breeders Cup Classic added on as his 10th win and being undefeated would stand up forever maybe...... I read somewhere that Chappy is rich. But, if he wins the triple crown and retires his family will live off the breeding rights for the next two generations.........