PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Park West track constant

tlinetrader
03-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Ive been handicapping Gulfstream Park and not sure how to adjust my speed figures for recent past races run at Gulfstream Park West. My understanding is that this meet was run at the Calder track which it is also my understanding was considerably slower than Gulfstream. Any one know if they made any changes to the track for the GPX West meet that would make it faster than typical for Calder?

wisconsin
03-06-2015, 11:59 AM
It's the same track. The only change is the name.

1st time lasix
03-10-2015, 09:13 AM
No...... Gulfstream Park West is Calder my friend. As of 2014---they run about two summer months over there before returning to Gulfstream. Historically the two tracks are not that similiar. The sandy dirt surface at Calder is a bit slower when dry but appreciate that in the Summer months in South Florida it rains at least once a day. Sometimes more. The dirt track at Gulfstream is faster when it is dry and there tends to be a speed bias. On either surface at GP it is always difficult to win from outside posts in route races. The turf course at Calder is used often without regard of weather. By the end of the meet is is really chewed up-- as the management knows it will be getting plenty of rest when the meet switches back. Be careful as the two are quite different.

DJofSD
03-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Gee whiz, why am I not surprised, nuttin' here (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=tracklist) shows GPW and what is the name of the track.

DJofSD
03-10-2015, 10:07 AM
GPW is Calder: http://www.drf.com/news/stronach-opens-first-gulfstream-park-west-meet

Inner Dirt
03-10-2015, 10:14 AM
To the OP that makes his own figures how often do you see Beyer figs that are highly inaccurate? Like they appear to be off 10 points or more. That of course would give you a big edge as usually the high recent Beyer horse will end up likely favored or second choice. If no one answers my question I understand not wanting to broadcast an edge. I make my own pace figures but I start by using the Beyer to get the track variant a bad Beyer either way would cause me to miss gauge the track as either slower or faster than it was.

DJofSD
03-10-2015, 10:24 AM
I've always avoided Calder b/c of the persistent claim by others the timer and the timings of the races at that track are highly suspect. That could no longer be true and I would like to hear from any one which knows what is the current state of affairs for what has changed at Calder to improve that critical aspect of recording the races.

wisconsin
03-10-2015, 11:29 AM
No...... Gulfstream Park West is Calder my friend. As of 2014---they run about two summer months over there before returning to Gulfstream. Historically the two tracks are not that similiar. The sandy dirt surface at Calder is a bit slower when dry but appreciate that in the Summer months in South Florida it rains at least once a day. Sometimes more. The dirt track at Gulfstream is faster when it is dry and there tends to be a speed bias. On either surface at GP it is always difficult to win from outside posts in route races. The turf course at Calder is used often without regard of weather. By the end of the meet is is really chewed up-- as the management knows it will be getting plenty of rest when the meet switches back. Be careful as the two are quite different.

Know that-the question was about changes to the track at Calder.