PDA

View Full Version : Brain surgen may no longer be used as euphemism for really smart.

Hank
03-05-2015, 09:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA4DxAZHLTU&feature=em-share_video_user

Clocker
03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Brain surgen may no longer be used as euphemism for really smart.

Just about all of them know how to spell "surgeon", which gives them a leg up on a large segment of the population.

cj's dad
03-05-2015, 11:36 PM
Just about all of them know how to spell "surgeon", which gives them a leg up on a large segment of the population.

Hank "wows" the board yet again ! :lol:

Greyfox
03-05-2015, 11:59 PM
I always knew Brain Surgeons were on the dull side, so I became Rocket Scientist instead. :rolleyes:

Clocker
03-06-2015, 12:09 AM
I always knew Brain Surgeons were on the dull side, so I became Rocket Scientist instead. :rolleyes:

Old hat. I went a step further and became a rocket surgeon. :p

mostpost
03-06-2015, 01:56 AM
I would rather be a person who misspells sturgeon, than a person who thinks that prison proves being gay is a choice.

cj's dad
03-06-2015, 10:10 AM
I would rather be a person who misspells sturgeon, than a person who thinks that prison proves being gay is a choice.

This is getting good! Now, we have a building deciding sexual preference !!

DJofSD
03-06-2015, 11:28 AM
90% of everything is crud. - Theodore Sturgeon

Tom
03-06-2015, 11:31 AM
This ain't rocket science or brain surgery....bet the :6:
-----Kelso Sturgeon.

DJofSD
03-06-2015, 11:34 AM
98.5% of sturgeons are fish.

FantasticDan
03-06-2015, 11:48 AM
notKtAgfwDA

Actor
03-06-2015, 12:52 PM
98.5% of sturgeons are fish.The other 1.5% are caviar. :lol:

Somebody had to say it. :bang:

DJofSD
03-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Well, no, of that 1.5% which remain, some are people, such as the handicapping personality Tom mentions. So, if you are going to include eggs too, I'd then say that 99.999% of sturgeons are fish.

Actor
03-06-2015, 12:55 PM
90% of everything is crud. - Theodore Sturgeon
If memory serves the complete quote is:

"90% of science fiction is crap because 90% of everything is crap."

DJofSD
03-06-2015, 12:59 PM
If memory serves the complete quote is:

"90% of science fiction is crap because 90% of everything is crap."
Yes, that is the initial statement but I believe it then morphed and was shortened, or at least that's how I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

Hank
03-06-2015, 11:47 PM

Of course you know, that I know,that you know, that what this means is, ya got nothing. Sure you know. :cool:

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2015, 11:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA4DxAZHLTU&feature=em-share_video_userYou're a racist for creating this thread.

Someone had to say it...

Hank
03-07-2015, 12:22 AM
You're a racist for creating this thread.

Someone had to say it...

Absolutely.

Clocker
03-07-2015, 12:54 AM
Of course you know, that I know,that you know, that what this means is, ya got nothing. Sure you know. :cool:

No, actually I was just taking a cheap shot at your cheap shot implying that what Ben Carson thinks has any cosmic implication beyond what Ben Carson thinks. Ben Carson speaks for himself. Your implication that anything he says goes beyond that is inane.

PaceAdvantage
03-07-2015, 01:17 AM
Absolutely.Indubitably.

Hank
03-07-2015, 09:58 AM
No, actually I was just taking a cheap shot at your cheap shot implying that what Ben Carson thinks has any cosmic implication beyond what Ben Carson thinks. Ben Carson speaks for himself. Your implication that anything he says goes beyond that is inane.

Interesting.I wrote...."Brain "surgen" may no longer be used as euphemism for really smart."Full stop. The subject made an asinine statement, [B]no reference is made to anyone else.Yet somehow you have divined deeper "cosmic" implications.Amazing! How is this possible?Oh I see.

"No, actually I was just taking a cheap shot at your cheap shot implying that what Ben Carson thinks has any cosmic implication beyond what Ben Carson thinks."

RunForTheRoses
03-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Somewhat on topic, do you think this went too far or was it the Hi IQ thing to do?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/03/04/abc-familys-the-fosters-airs-youngest-ever-gay-kiss-between-two-13-year-old-boys/

JustRalph
03-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Carson might be a brilliant guy, but he has repeatedly said things that lead to being un-electable. Damn shame

GaryG
03-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Carson might be a brilliant guy, but he has repeatedly said things that lead to being un-electable. Damn shameI would vote for him in a minute, the problem is that he speaks the truth. In this brave new world the best thing to be would be a queer muslim....you would get anything you want, probably including your own reality show.

Clocker
03-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Carson might be a brilliant guy, but he has repeatedly said things that lead to being un-electable. Damn shame

The current part timer in the Oval Office shows that there is no necessary correlation between brilliance and competent leadership. As far as I can tell, Carson has no experience in the private sector or in executive management. And at the risk of stereotyping, surgeons tend to be authoritative and uncompromising. As are most surgens.

davew
03-07-2015, 01:03 PM
I am so confused, are you saying Surgen can no longer be used on brains to remove wrinkles?

http://www.pollogen.com/pollogen-products/surgen-new.html

classhandicapper
03-08-2015, 04:42 PM
In this brave new world the best thing to be would be a queer muslim....you would get anything you want, probably including your own reality show.

It's been done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahs_of_Sunset

"Reza Farahan - Born in Tehran, Iran in 1973 and raised in Beverly Hills, Farahan is a real estate agent in Los Angeles. He is openly gay and often struggles with gossip and prejudice regarding his sexuality. He wanted to participate in the show after seeing news reports of the suicides of teenagers who were bullied because they were gay, and he wanted to help by portraying a positive image of both gay people and Middle Easterners. Reza has been in a relationship with Adam Neely, a former fashion model, who works for Ryan Murphy, in post production, on his various shows. They have been involved since 2010, and their engagement was featured in the third season finale. In season four, Adam and Reza have complications in their relationship and call off the wedding after tumultuous issues arise inside their group of friends following a fake rumor of the drunk Mj carrying the gay couples love child. Reza and the gang continue to go on, what would be Reza's and Adam's wedding trip, to Thailand. His father is Jewish, and his mother is Muslim. In an episode he reveals his father converted to Islam to marry his mother. When his parents' marriage ended in divorce, his father moved back to New York to be with his Jewish family; in an episode it's revealed that Farahan's paternal grandmother pressured his father and rejected Reza because he was not Jewish.[14] He works with MJ at Keller Williams Realty."

classhandicapper
03-08-2015, 04:49 PM
I like Carson a lot, but he should have known better than to make a sweeping comment about all gays like that. I'm going to guess he wasn't thinking clearly and used the wrong choice of words to make a point.

cj's dad
03-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Other than to opine that BC is not PC, has any evidenct come to light that he is incorrect in his original opinion ?

Hank
03-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Other than to opine that BC is not PC, has any evidenct come to light that he is incorrect in his original opinion ?

http://i.imgur.com/gBOs8sE.gif

FantasticDan
03-09-2015, 12:49 AM
Other than to opine that BC is not PC, has any evidenct come to light that he is incorrect in his original opinion?
yqyixwqiCag

Rise Over Run
03-09-2015, 10:29 AM
The evidence is "kept on the down low".

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2015, 02:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gBOs8sE.gifYes, I'm sure what Mr. Carson said had no basis in fact whatsoever...he just made it up out of thin air...

He's a complete dumb-ass...on par with Sarah Palin...in fact, everyone who leans right is as dumb or dumber than Sarah Palin and/or George W. Bush.

Right guys?

DJofSD
03-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Question: can you be dumb and stupid but still foist a vast right-wing conspiracy on the left?

Tom
03-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Question: can you be dumb and stupid but still foist a vast right-wing conspiracy on the left?

Only if the left is dumber and stupider......:lol::lol::lol::lol:

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 03:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_nFN2gUcAECE9i.jpg:medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_guGX0U0AAwbhl.jpg:medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_Y5K22UcAExvcl.jpg:medium

Tom
03-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Racism running wild here.
You can't say that about a Black man.

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 03:11 PM
You can't say that about a Black man.

Racism, you say?
Well, let's move it up a notch.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_aCzhAU8AAHYrJ.jpg:medium

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2015, 03:27 PM
You can't say that about a Black man.They're racist to the core. We all know that. It's the backbone of the democratic party...their main fundraising tool...

Ultimately, Ben Carson is correct. Who you have sex with IS A CHOICE. Bottom line...no doubt about it...

I can choose to have sex with any consenting adult...that's a matter of fact.

So how is Carson wrong, technically? He's not.

Big difference between what we choose and what we desire.

Again, technically, Carson isn't wrong, and he can't be proven wrong. Everyone makes the choice of whom they have sex with.

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 03:37 PM
So how is Carson wrong, technically? He's not.

I think it really should be the rallying cry for his campaign :rolleyes:
See how far it gets him.

FantasticDan
03-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Did ya hear that everybody, feeling all gay may not be a choice, but to actually ACT on those feelings certainly is. Hail PA, master of the lame equivocation! :ThmbUp: :jump: :ThmbUp:

(but not his domain :lol: )

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Did ya hear that everybody, feeling all gay may not be a choice, but to actually ACT on those feelings certainly is. Hail PA, master of the lame equivocation! :ThmbUp: :jump: :ThmbUp:

(but not his domain :lol: )You can just admit you're wrong and Carson is right...

We all have a choice in this world.

We can take this a step further and discuss sexual deviants and criminals. They likely don't have a choice on what turns them on either...yet you don't extend to them the freedom to act on their impulses because their choice would be illegal. If they act on their impulse, on their wrongly-wired brain, they will be arrested and prosecuted for their behavior.

You see, the bottom line is, we all have a choice when it comes to this sort of thing. Carson isn't wrong.

You're just being a racist here.

Tom
03-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Racism, you say?
Well, let's move it up a notch.

Wow, you don't know much about Dr. King, do you?

FantasticDan
03-09-2015, 04:08 PM
You can just admit you're wrong and Carson is right...

We all have a choice in this world.

We can take this a step further and discuss sexual deviants and criminals. They likely don't have a choice on what turns them on either...yet you don't extend to them the freedom to act on their impulses because their choice would be illegal. If they act on their impulse, on their wrongly-wired brain, they will be arrested and prosecuted for their behavior.

You see, the bottom line is, we all have a choice when it comes to this sort of thing. Carson isn't wrong.

You're just being a racist here.Why was I reminded of this classic while reading this.. :rolleyes: :D
hnTmBjk-M0c

TJDave
03-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Yes, I'm sure what Mr. Carson said had no basis in fact whatsoever...he just made it up out of thin air...

You're giving him way too much credit. Someone else made it up.

davew
03-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Yes, I'm sure what Mr. Carson said had no basis in fact whatsoever...he just made it up out of thin air...

He's a complete dumb-ass...on par with Sarah Palin...in fact, everyone who leans right is as dumb or dumber than Sarah Palin and/or George W. Bush.

Right guys?

He has some intelligence. He made it through college, medical school, residency, state licensing and did some ground breaking surgery's. He may have gotten some help at the beginning being a minority, but the rest he did on his own merits.

He must be a threat for the opposition for them to take so much time trying to knock him.

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2015, 05:33 PM
You're giving him way too much credit. Someone else made it up.So you agree with the tactic...interesting...

You know what? I don't give a damn who bangs who or who marries who...I say live and let live...have a great time.

But this constant "gotcha" tactic, especially when it comes to Republican candidates, is getting out of hand...whatever man...

Carson is a moron...another Palin...another Bush...whatever...have fun

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Conservatives consistently deny science when it suits them.
Genetic links to homosexuality are something they won't accept.

It's not as big an issue as global warming, but it's another piece
in the puzzle. It's what makes conservatives who they are.

TJDave
03-09-2015, 05:55 PM
So you agree with the tactic...interesting...

Tactic?

Ben Carson said something stupid and got called on it. He could have kept his mouth shut.

davew
03-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Here are some researchers stating it is not genetic, but rather expression. So link an article saying it is genetic, because we can go forever arguing both sides. It is only SETTLED science to the naïve (this applies to many other areas as well).

http://io9.com/5967426/scientists-confirm-that-homosexuality-is-not-genetic--but-it-arises-in-the-womb

DJofSD
03-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Here are some researchers stating it is not genetic, but rather expression. So link an article saying it is genetic, because we can go forever arguing both sides. It is only SETTLED science to the naïve (this applies to many other areas as well).

http://io9.com/5967426/scientists-confirm-that-homosexuality-is-not-genetic--but-it-arises-in-the-womb
That's an old article.

Research published at the end of last year hints there could be a possible gene in the X chromosome but even the advocates admit it is statistically weak.

TJDave
03-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Here are some researchers stating it is not genetic, but rather expression.

That's not what the article says. Did you read it?

reckless
03-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Conservatives consistently deny science when it suits them. Genetic links to homosexuality are something they won't accept.

The trouble with all your lunatic scientists on the left is that they are bought and paid for. They possess zero credibility, especially those nuts and frauds that promote the global warming scam.

It's what makes liberals who they are.

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 07:21 PM
The trouble with all your lunatic scientists on the left is that they are bought and paid for. They possess zero credibility, especially those nuts and frauds that promote the global warming scam.

Please expand on this - who exactly has bought and paid for liberal scientists?
Do you have any proof, or is this just another "con fact"?

The Koch Brothers, on the other hand, are notorious for contributing
to scientists who will forward opinions that they wish to hear.
Tallying up that slush fund might take years.

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 07:40 PM

Of course, silly me.
I should have realized.

You, and yours, regard any public funding of the arts and sciences as bribery.
Thank goodness the world is not ruled entirely by the Right.

davew
03-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Please expand on this - who exactly has bought and paid for liberal scientists?
Do you have any proof, or is this just another "con fact"?

The Koch Brothers, on the other hand, are notorious for contributing
to scientists who will forward opinions that they wish to hear.
Tallying up that slush fund might take years.

The United States government gives over $7 billion to the NSF (National Science Foundation) and over $31 billion to NIH (National Institutes of Health). These groups award over 85% to researchers/groups to work on specific topics. NSF and NIH have Congressional committee oversight, and occasionally some congressperson decides to 'check up' on individual researchers who may receive some of their funding through either of these sources (especially if they disagree with the findings or publication).

davew
03-09-2015, 08:04 PM
That's not what the article says. Did you read it?

Yes, I combined a few hundred words about epi-genetics, epi-switches, epi-genetic mechanisms, regulation and gene control mechanisms into-> expression. (It has been 20 years since having molecular biochemistry, so it is possible my simplification is wrong.)

reckless
03-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Of course, silly me.
I should have realized.

You, and yours, regard any public funding of the arts and sciences as bribery. Thank goodness the world is not ruled entirely by the Right.

I don't call it bribery, if you insist. I call it survival.

These clowns' livelihood and survival depend on perpetuating this fraud called global warming -- in addition to all the other lunatic fringe's agendas.

What don't you understand?

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 08:29 PM
What don't you understand?

About your version of events?
Plenty.

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 09:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_sI7eRVAAAZWjv.jpg:medium

Tom
03-09-2015, 10:46 PM

Not all of us. I don't think it is by choice, but I could be wrong. Only a person knows for sure.

But as long as you paint us all as having no individual thought, does that apply to YOU as well? do YOU agree with Al Gore that the center of the Earth is millions of degrees? :lol:

How do YOU guys justify this idiot, the leader of the GW movement?

horses4courses
03-09-2015, 10:54 PM
do YOU agree with Al Gore that the center of the Earth is millions of degrees? :lol:
How do YOU guys justify this idiot, the leader of the GW movement?

The center of the earth?
Couldn't tell you, but I'm planning to visit there one of these days.

Al?
Well.....he's just Al. ;)

Came so close to being POTUS, too.
It's been downhill ever since.

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2015, 02:10 AM
Let's not turn this into another global warming thread...that would be downright silly, even here on off-topic.

Now, back to the topic at hand.

Who you sleep with is a choice. Period. Plain and simple. There is no debating this fact.

Thus, Carson is technically correct. End of discussion. Debate over.

There are straight men and women who go to prison, and faced with the lack of opposite sex availability, CHOOSE to have homosexual sex. That's a fact. Many are also forced into homosexuality, but that's neither here nor there.

Maybe it's uncomfortable to hear, maybe it doesn't fit the narrative some are trying to foster, but it's undeniable. Ben Carson made a factual point.

And the science as to whether people are born gay is certainly far from settled.

I personally believe a person's sexual orientation (and orientation is an important word) is not a choice...somehow, it is chosen for them. Whether it's genetics or environmental, the brain is programmed a certain way, somehow, well before a person reaches the age of sexual maturity. That's what I believe. However, an adult still has a choice as to which direction they want to go, even in the face of conflicting wiring.

That is what I believe Carson was obviously saying.

There isn't a major religion on Earth that doesn't consider homosexuality a sin. Christians, Jews, Muslims...they all consider it an abomination. That's also a fact.

So it should come as no shock that religious individuals (of which I am fairly certain Carson is one) would see it still as a matter of choice. This view is NOT at odds with the belief that sexual orientation is predetermined at a very young age, or even genetically. There is still a choice to be made, just as there is a choice not to commit other sins.

Carson's passing sentence has only caused an uproar because it is at odds with the narrative some want to see prosper. And I have no qualms with EITHER narrative. As Dr. Carson's words are factual under each scenario.

sammy the sage
03-10-2015, 08:07 AM
I thought THIS thread was ABOUT brain surgeons...more like scatter-brained posters... :faint: :lol:

classhandicapper
03-10-2015, 09:19 AM

The entire argument of whether homosexuals are born that way, whether it's a choice, whether it's epigenetic, environmental, different in each case, etc... has always seemed irrelevant to me. I've never understood the significance of cause. People are born with all sort of urges to do all sorts of things that are on the edges of the sexual bell curve. As a society we define what we consider natural/unnatural, normal/abnormal and legal/illegal.

DJofSD
03-10-2015, 09:22 AM
The entire argument of whether homosexuals are born that way, whether it's a choice, whether it's epigenetic, environmental, different in each case, etc... has always seemed irrelevant to me. I've never understood the significance of cause. People are born with all sort of urges to do all sorts of things that are on the edges of the sexual bell curve. As a society we define what we consider natural/unnatural, normal/abnormal and legal/illegal.
While some seek knowledge to explain and understand, others are looking for excuses and rationalizations.

Tom
03-10-2015, 10:42 AM
We covet what we see.
-----Hannibal Lecture

classhandicapper
03-10-2015, 11:13 AM
While some seek knowledge to explain and understand, others are looking for excuses and rationalizations.

I have no qualms with trying to understand it for scientific reasons. I don't understand why it seems to matter so much for political reasons.

The same people that currently approve/disapprove, consider it sinful or not, or consider it normal/deviant will continue to do so regardless of whether there is one cause, multiple causes, interrelated causes, different causes in each case etc... They won't care what the cause is.

The only thing that matters is teaching tolerance in BOTH directions because there is generally nothing illegal going on as long as two consenting adults are involved.

Clocker
03-10-2015, 11:41 AM
So it should come as no shock that religious individuals (of which I am fairly certain Carson is one) would see it still as a matter of choice.

Carson is a devout 7th Day Adventist, and his religion would likely be a big issue if he runs for office. Among other things, he is a creationist, and does not believe in evolution.

DJofSD
03-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Carson is a devout 7th Day Adventist, and his religion would likely be a big issue if he runs for office. Among other things, he is a creationist, and does not believe in evolution.
Well, then, maybe we should have another Muslim run then it will not make any difference what religious beliefs might come into play.

Tom
03-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Among other things, he is a creationist, and does not believe in evolution.

When I look at our 44 presidents, I tend to not buy into it anymore, either.

Clocker
03-10-2015, 12:19 PM
When I look at our 44 presidents, I tend to not buy into it anymore, either.

“When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. I’m beginning to believe it.”
― Clarence Darrow

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Carson is a devout 7th Day Adventist, and his religion would likely be a big issue if he runs for office. Among other things, he is a creationist, and does not believe in evolution.Speaking of evolution, here's a question that I have always pondered when thinking about this topic.

If indeed sexual orientation is genetically programmed...how is it that evolution hasn't gotten rid of the "gay gene?"

Being gay serves no evolutionary purpose...in fact, one would think it would be something evolution would have removed long ago as a threat to the survival of mankind.

Does this not lend more credence to choice/environmental factors behind sexual orientation and less towards genetics?

FantasticDan
03-10-2015, 01:21 PM
If indeed sexual orientation is genetically programmed...how is it that evolution hasn't gotten rid of the "gay gene?"

Being gay serves no evolutionary purpose...in fact, one would think it would be something evolution would have removed long ago as a threat to the survival of mankind.

Does this not lend more credence to choice/environmental factors behind sexual orientation and less towards genetics?This article addresses some of the "evolutionary advantages" among the many animal species that make the choice to engage in homosexual behavior :p

http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/do-animals-exhibit-homosexuality/

DJofSD
03-10-2015, 01:24 PM
I must have missed it, nothing mentioned about Gay Pride parades.

Greyfox
03-10-2015, 01:29 PM
This article addresses some of the "evolutionary advantages" among the many animal species that make the choice to engage in homosexual behavior :p

http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/do-animals-exhibit-homosexuality/

The article addresses "social advantages" but the evolutionary advantage is still begging to be expanded upon.

Tom
03-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Very good question, PA....evolution seeks only to improve the species.
Gay sex doesn't do that.

My question about evolution is, if we come from monkeys, why are there still monkeys around?

classhandicapper
03-10-2015, 01:33 PM
I think the best way to study the topic would be to look at identical twins that both lived together and that were separated at birth.

One study I saw suggested that if one identical twin is homosexual, the chances that the other will also be homosexual is greater than in the general population or for typical non identical twins that were raised together. That suggests a genetic component.

However, with many identical twins, one is homosexual and the other is not. I believe that's the case with the NBA players that just came out last year (Jason Collins). That suggests there is more going on than genes.

Maybe there's a genetic predisposition but it's not genetically predetermined?

Maybe that's where epigenetics comes in?

But there are all sorts of cases that are different.

There are porn stars, prostitutes, exotic dancers etc.. that are 100% straight in their personal lives that will perform homosexual acts for money.

There is the prison issue referred to by Ben Carson.

There are young people that are confused or that CHOOSE to experiment and then go back to being straight.

There are probably cases where sexual abuse was a factor.

IMO, there's no one size fits all formula, but what do I know. :rolleyes:

classhandicapper
03-10-2015, 01:34 PM
My question about evolution is, if we come from monkeys, why are there still monkeys around?

There's actually a pretty good answer to that.

We didn't come from the monkeys that are still around. We came from another species that is long since gone.

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2015, 01:41 PM
This article addresses some of the "evolutionary advantages" among the many animal species that make the choice to engage in homosexual behavior :p

http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/do-animals-exhibit-homosexuality/Interesting...obviously, if human beings are indeed genetically inclined towards homosexuality, this doesn't guarantee they would always end up in homosexual relationships...some would make the choice to be heterosexual, for a variety of reasons, passing their genetics along....

The same goes for the animal kingdom...

Interestingly, I wonder if the gradual acceptance of homosexuality through the centuries is going to ultimately lead to its demise if it is indeed genetically-based...fewer gay people feel the need to hide their true identity behind heterosexual relationships as time marches on...thus reducing their participation in the gene pool....

cj's dad
03-10-2015, 01:41 PM

We didn't come from the monkeys that are still around. We came from another species that is long since gone.

Probably because they all went on the down low and became extinct.

LottaKash
03-10-2015, 01:55 PM

Well, that explains nothing, imo...(unless of course you are playing with this)

I just don't believe that, given each individual's unique DNA sequence's, and their own unique Fingerprints, that enough time on this planet has elapsed enough to match the odds of that happening..

Speaking of odds, I suspect Darwin would've made a very "Losing Handicapper"....Sure he got a few ideas right, but what player can't do that....

classhandicapper
03-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Well, that explains nothing, imo...(unless of course you are playing with this)

I have no expertise on the subject. Quite frankly, I suspect it would be over my head even if I tried to understand it. That monkey theory is just something I read.

My intuitive feeling on the subject is that it's a lot like global warming. There are some scientific certainties underlying the idea, but it's so darn complex no one really understands everything that's going on yet or why. They just pretend they do and trash everyone that questions them. IMO, there is also another political element to it. Many (if not most) secular scientists HATE religion and are actively engaged in trying discredit the idea that "God" or some intelligence could be involved in any aspect of the process.

I see no inherent conflict between God and evolution even if the latter is 100% certain. I don't even see a huge conflict between creation stories and evolution. I suspect that if there is a God and He wanted to divinely inspire men with a very limited understanding thousands of years ago, he would not have handed them advanced biology and physics books. He would have told them a story that gave them the gist of it in terms they could understand.

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2015, 02:14 PM
My guess is we're all just one giant alien species experiment...gone awry... :lol:

DJofSD
03-10-2015, 02:19 PM
My guess is we're all just one giant alien species experiment...gone awry... :lol:
Actually, no, we're a simulation.

Watch TEDxSalford. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chfoo9NBEow)

classhandicapper
03-10-2015, 02:27 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-ioCS_Ok5jLHO6EyfMbXbYzvQozg5otw78dSe3m4D1Qvn3CbB

(I still can't figure out how to post images)

Clocker
03-10-2015, 03:00 PM
(I still can't figure out how to post images)

Copy the address of the image. Click on the image icon above.
Looks like this: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/editor/insertimage.gif

Paste the address into the pop-up box and hit return.

classhandicapper
03-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Looks like this: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/editor/insertimage.gif

That's what I keep doing but it never works for me. :bang:

JustRalph
03-10-2015, 05:11 PM
That's what I keep doing but it never works for me. :bang:

If you are using a web address for your pic, it can be blocked by the hosting server. In fact, most are nowadays. It takes a tiny slice of their bandwidth away every time someone loads the pic. So they block it from being linked to.

Save the image locally and upload it here at PA to be viewed as an attachment. But please size it reasonably to keep from distorting the thread

FantasticDan
03-10-2015, 05:25 PM

Paste the address into the pop-up box and hit return.You also have to make sure the image address ends in:
.jpg
.gif
.png
.tiff ...
or it won't work, such as in this case.

NJ Stinks
03-10-2015, 08:34 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-circus-is-back-in-town/2015/03/10/d941ea78-c74c-11e4-a199-6cb5e63819d2_story.html?hpid=z1 Copy the address of the image. Click on the image icon above.

IMG_3740 (2)

When I attempted above to post a picture from My Pictures on my computer (after following your instructions above), the only thing that comes up is the link to page where the picture is. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

davew
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-circus-is-back-in-town/2015/03/10/d941ea78-c74c-11e4-a199-6cb5e63819d2_story.html?hpid=z1

IMG_3740 (2)

When I attempted above to post a picture from My Pictures on my computer (after following your instructions above), the only thing that comes up is the link to page where the picture is. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Is your computer a server on the internet like Clintons emails? If you want to post a pic you need an address. You could try tinypic or photobucket to upload something from your computer to the web and then link.

Clocker
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-circus-is-back-in-town/2015/03/10/d941ea78-c74c-11e4-a199-6cb5e63819d2_story.html?hpid=z1

IMG_3740 (2)

Are you trying to post a picture that is on your computer, or the photo from that link? If it is on your computer, you can't link to it. The image has to be a jpg or similar file and it has to be hosted on a web site accessible from the internet. There are a number of free hosting sites such as photobucket that allow you to open an account and post your pictures there in jpg format, and then you can link to them. In short, your files have to be on a web server.

NJ Stinks
03-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Is your computer a server on the internet like Clintons emails? If you want to post a pic you need an address. You could try tinypic or photobucket to upload something from your computer to the web and then link.

OK. I'll try a picture from tinypic.

http://s6.tinypic.com/24ne1ck_th.jpg

It worked!

I'll try one from the Washington Post front page.

http://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_358w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/03/10/Interactivity/Images/crop_358ARI_31821425080830.jpg

Thanks, guys! :cool:

PaceAdvantage
03-11-2015, 07:52 AM
You can post a pic from your computer...before you hit SUBMIT REPLY, scroll down a bit and click the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button and simply upload it and attach it to your post...

Rise Over Run
03-11-2015, 08:47 AM
You can post a pic from your computer...before you hit SUBMIT REPLY, scroll down a bit and click the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button and simply upload it and attach it to your post...
Maybe it takes a brain surgen to figure this out... :lol: :lol:

classhandicapper
03-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Maybe it takes a brain surgen to figure this out... :lol: :lol:

I had a tiny benign brain tumor removed 5-6 years ago. If we need one to figure this out, I still have his number. ;)

classhandicapper
03-11-2015, 11:24 AM
whoa, it seems to have worked.