PDA

View Full Version : Anyone coming down for Belmont?

andicap
05-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Anyone around here coming to NY for the Belmont? Maybe a PA gathering is in order???

cj
05-17-2004, 10:27 AM
I wish I could make it. I went to see Silver Charm, Real Quiet, and Charasmatic in their bids. I couldn't make Funny Cide, and was in Saudi for War Emblem. But even though the three I saw all failed, it was still a great day. I don't think failure is an option this time. I've got to have someone pick me up some souvenier $2 win tix on Smarty Jones, that is the best bet of the day.

Buddha
05-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I wish I could make it. I went to see Silver Charm, Real Quiet, and Charasmatic in their bids. I couldn't make Funny Cide, and was in Saudi for War Emblem. But even though the three I saw all failed, it was still a great day. I don't think failure is an option this time. I've got to have someone pick me up some souvenier $2 win tix on Smarty Jones, that is the best bet of the day.

I will gladly do it, unless you want them actually purchased at belmont. just let me know.

JPinMaryland
05-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I am likely to be there. What do you suggest?

andicap
05-17-2004, 09:35 PM
JP,
We'll see how many are coming and set up a meet place if people are interested. It will be packed -- they got 101,000 last year in the pouring rain and the TV ratings have been through the roof. There should be 5-10K people from Philly alone coming up.

We could park by the rail or wherever people want.

I'm assuming you don't have a seat

I would suggest anyone coming get there very very early. The Cross Island Parkway begins to back up by 11 a.m. Definitely take the LIRR if you're coming from the city.

I want to see how many are coming as soon as possible because if it doesn't come together, I'll troll for a ticket.

Bubbles
05-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Me and SilverSow will be in the backyard picnic area as soon as the gates open. We'll have a big PA sign at the ready if anyone wants to join us.

Go Smarty!

andicap
05-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
Me and SilverSow will be in the backyard picnic area as soon as the gates open. We'll have a big PA sign at the ready if anyone wants to join us.

Go Smarty!

Anyone else interested in this? Sounds like an idea to me.
Or if you have a seat you can pop back and forth. There will be a lot of team between races.

Vinnie
05-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Hey folks!

I am hoping to be in attendance on June 5th, but, I just have to wait and see if I can get it in scheduling wise right now. I would love to meet a bunch of the folks from the board. WOW!! What else can be said about the Great Smarty Jones?! I knew that he was terrific when I witnessed him (although I guess that I didn't believe my eyes at the time) in the ARK Derby. When he shot over from the 11 hole to get right up on Purge entering the backstretch, only to go by him at will while entering in to the final turn and drawing off. When I saw that he ran his last 1/4 in I believe 12 and 2/5ths, I was shocked. I myself have never seen a horse that makes it look so easy against the best competition there is out there available to him. I had him as my favorite in the Derby, but, I thought to myself surely he will be spent coming from post 15 to chase the front running Lion Heart. WOW!! Was I ever wrong. To fight out from between the middle of 5 horses or so to position himself right where he and Stewart Elliott needed to be in the race was a thing of beauty. For a horse to possess the type of controlled, push button type speed that this horse seems to possess at virtually each phase of the race is truly remarkable. He runs fast at the beginning, in the middle of the race and at the end he is flat out devastating. How do any of these other horses deal with that? I guess that they have to hope that he throws in a dull effort here sometime. But, when exactly is that supposed to happen? I have watched the replays many times, and I simply can't believe how effortless this horses gate is when in full motion. When he is running up the backstretch he just seems to be totally relaxed. Even when the rest of the competition seems to be kicking it in gear, he just seems to be enjoying himself out there. And then, when he really gets down to business, watch out!! This horse is one cool customer..

I was excited about FC and War Emblem when they were fully into their bids for the TC, but, with all due respect to each of those horses, neither one was nearly as versatile in every respect as this horse. "Smarty is the real deal". "The Total Package"!

This will be one Awesome Race for all who love the horse races and horse racing.

Hope to see you guys there.

"GO SMARTY"!

JPinMaryland
05-18-2004, 05:28 PM
No I dont have a seat. We did pretty well last year, just waiting it out in the rain and then a spot opened up right on the rail.

pat
05-18-2004, 05:29 PM
well as some of you know i will def. be there just like every other day

JPinMaryland
05-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Vinnie's description of SJ sounds like Citation's. I wonder if that is truly the horse to compare him to? Didnt Citation run a 2:07 derby in the slop?

Bubbles
05-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by JPinMaryland
Vinnie's description of SJ sounds like Citation's. I wonder if that is truly the horse to compare him to? Didnt Citation run a 2:07 derby in the slop?

2:05 2/5. He also ran a 2:02 Preakness, do not ask me how that is possible.

Back to Smarty's run for glory. The gates open at 8:30. Last year, the place was deserted until around 10:30 or so, then it seemed like everyone in the world was parked on the rail. Heed this piece of advice: GET THERE EARLY.

andicap
05-18-2004, 08:16 PM
OK, we'll keep this post up high on the board for the next two+ weeks and see who's coming by Friday. I'm tentatively set -- but not in a downpour like last year.

I'll have my PA shirt from Suff's Spa outing a year on so I'll be easy to spot.

Great if we can get a group there.

Bubbles
05-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by andicap
...but not in a downpour like last year...

Amen. At around 11, it looked like the rain was going to hold off. But not. Plastic bags were nowhere to be found, as everyone took spare grocery bags, put them over their clothes, and tried to protect their Funny Cide regalia from the deluge. Granted, it didn't work, but it sure was amusing to watch. :) :D ;)

MzDucat
05-18-2004, 09:20 PM
If you are going to the Belmont, I hope you love the SAM machines. There is talk of a Union walkout/Lockout. If they get untrained clerks on the windows, you better be the type of customer who checks every ticket you buy.

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2004, 11:18 PM
I've come to grips with the fact that I may not place a bet all day on June 5. With talk of 120,000+ if the weather holds up, it is going to be hell not only on the betting lines, but also in the bathroom!!

Last couple of years, the men's rooms have gone co-ed, cause the line out of the ladies' rooms were a mile long! I can't imagine what a sunny June 5th at Belmont will look like!! LOL

andicap
05-19-2004, 01:38 AM
I use my phone accounts a lot on days like that --

pat
05-19-2004, 06:21 AM
There is another way around the betting most newbies that come use tellers ,most regulars use sam machines i use the tiny tim machines with my nyra one account which only a handfull of people use even on belmont day and i do believe that you can open a day account

Latin Qtr
05-19-2004, 06:45 AM
I have a otb account and I'll be at Belmont on june 5th. I plan
on cell-calling my otb account from the track and making my bets.
It's strange but it works.

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2004, 10:12 AM
I don't go to belmont much anymore (of course I'll be there on June 5). I believe I tried to hunt down some tiny tims, but couldn't find them anywhere. I know they used to have a few out on one of the floors, but I don't think they are there anymore.

If you know where they are hiding, please let me know! The only place I know for a fact that still has tiny tims is the Garden Terrace restaurant....

pat
05-19-2004, 04:36 PM
They are located 2nd fl clubhouse next to check cashing window

Zman179
05-19-2004, 08:03 PM
WORDS OF WARNING!!!!

The majority of the Belmont Park ticket clerks are now new hires. Ask any poster here who regularly goes to Belmont and they'll tell ya. Due to the restructuring of NYRA and the government watchdogs that have been overseeing operations, they've been firing clerks left & right for infractions like making bets on duty, etc.

Trust me, I have a couple clerk friends at NYRA who I've been friends (and I mean friends, not just "Hi, how are ya?") with for over 10 years, and they've been telling me of all the termination stories. To give you an idea, one clerk's seniority has gone up almost 60% over the past two years!!!!!!!!! That is just unheard of.

What does this mean? Well, if the clerks are very slow now when there are only 4,000 people there, imagine the lines that will produce when 100,000+ people show up! You might want to consider using SAM machines for the entire day, or loading up your phone account and working off that.

Consider yourself warned.

gaston
05-19-2004, 09:34 PM
I will be there as i have each year for many years but last year was plain miserable with the steady monsoon rains! hope the weather is as good as smarty jones performance on the track.
go smarty.:D

Figman
05-19-2004, 10:37 PM
zman179
I for one am not taking your "warning!"

Those senior clerks are for the most part "THE WORST!" Always taking their breaks, many are surly, many treat the customer like dirt, many have no patience with newbie bettors....they deserve to go. They have zero public relations skills.

I'll take any of those clerks that are bussed into Belmont Park from other racetracks to exclusively work on the big NYRA days. I know two or three busses of clerks are sent down from Saratoga on Belmont Day, experienced people that work each August. I never hear any complaints about Saratoga on their big days even though most of the clerks are "August hires."

Are you sure you aren't a disgruntled union clerk "regular?"

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by pat
They are located 2nd fl clubhouse next to check cashing window

Ahh, that's probably why I didn't know where they were. I am hardly ever in the clubhouse, unless I am at the restaurant.

They used to have Tiny Tims in the Grandstand section...I guess they aren't there anymore??

Zman179
05-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Figman:

No, I'm not a teller myself. Never have been and never want to be.

I fully agree with you in regards to the surly tellers, but I can tell you this: After dealing with both the senior, surly clerks and the brand new novices, I would much rather take the surlies. Simply put, I do not like having to repeat my numbers two or three times to the teller like I have been doing during my prior three visits to Belmont this month. At least with the senior clerks, when you ask for a trifecta key, they won't look at you with a puzzled look in their eyes. Their inexperience has forced me to begin wagering with the SAM's (I tend to bet more when I use vouchers, and that's not a good thing).

Bubbles
05-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Belmont's five days away. Me and SilverSow, as I posted earlier, will be in the backyard picnic area as soon as the gates open, with a big PA sign at the ready. If anyone wants to join us, you're welcome to.

GO SMARTY!!!!!

Zaf
05-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Zman179
WORDS OF WARNING!!!!

The majority of the Belmont Park ticket clerks are now new hires. Ask any poster here who regularly goes to Belmont and they'll tell ya. Due to the restructuring of NYRA and the government watchdogs that have been overseeing operations, they've been firing clerks left & right for infractions like making bets on duty, etc.

Trust me, I have a couple clerk friends at NYRA who I've been friends (and I mean friends, not just "Hi, how are ya?") with for over 10 years, and they've been telling me of all the termination stories. To give you an idea, one clerk's seniority has gone up almost 60% over the past two years!!!!!!!!! That is just unheard of.

What does this mean? Well, if the clerks are very slow now when there are only 4,000 people there, imagine the lines that will produce when 100,000+ people show up! You might want to consider using SAM machines for the entire day, or loading up your phone account and working off that.

Consider yourself warned.

Z-man,

You are right. My buddy was at Belmont Friday, half of these guys couldn't do exacta / trifetca boxes / keys, it was pathetic.

To boot in the finale friday my friend loved the #14. My friend placed a very handsome WP bet on him. When he goes to cash his ticket , the teller says the tickets a loser, the dummy teller punched the #13, well off by one key, Check Your Tickets Guys :eek:

ZAFONIC

Zaf
06-03-2004, 10:15 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/56101.html

:eek:

ZAFONIC

JPinMaryland
06-04-2004, 09:26 PM
okay Bubbles, where exactly is the back yard picnic area?

andicap
06-05-2004, 12:13 AM
JP,
With the rain, Bubbles and Silver Sow say they will be camping indoors instead.
It won't' be raining in the morning tho probably so it's a tricky situation.
The backyard is right behind the grandstand and clubhouse. You literally go out the back door and its there. On nice days its
gorgeous. The paddock is back there and they have food stands, a playground for kids, lots of betting areas and a duckpond.

JPinMaryland
06-05-2004, 04:23 AM
okay yeah. So it's not the back side of the track. It's really out in the front part. I think I know. Okay see ya.

Zman179
06-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Sorry about your friends misfortune Zafonic.
Then again, unless there was like 10 seconds before the off, he should've checked his ticket.