PDA

View Full Version : A Jock Blows it Big Time!

JustRalph
05-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Check out the link below:

This is the last race of the meet at Turf Paradise.......

This is a pick up ride by some jock in the Jocks room....I think his name is "carro" but he gets a pick up ride in the last race of the meet and it is a mini stakes........50k stakes.The jock that is listed is Lovato...but TVG said he wasn't riding The race is 15 Furlongs or, A mile and 7/8's. He must think the race is a mile........

Listen to the announcer when the field catches him.....

"Tiz a coup thinks it's a mile"

He takes the 5 horse (10-1 at post time) and sweeps to the lead and rides the horse out by 20 lgths and starts celebrating at the finish line thinking he has just become a stakes winner.

As he gallops out, the field catches up with him and blows by him on the back stretch............he realizes what he has done and starts racing again.......the neat part is he gets his horse up again and ends up running 5th and getting paid 2k anyway.

I was wondering whether he should have just kept going hard with the mount..........he had 20 on them when he crossed the line the first time........ He ends up beating the 2nd choice #4 Horse who was 2-1

BTW........ I saw Jason Lumpkins do this at Mountaineer one night.......he ended up last........if my memory serves me right.

http://www.justralph.com/TUP105162004p[1].asx

nomadpat
05-16-2004, 11:21 PM
That's hilarous Ralph! Definitely made my night.
Thanks for the link!

:)

BillW
05-16-2004, 11:49 PM
I saw it on TVG ... weird. I've seen the crowd blow a race before (cheer the "winner" on the first lap of a 12 furlong race) but never a jock.
Pat Day once blew the finish line by a few dozen yards at OP though, but I didn't see it.

Bill

Jeff P
05-17-2004, 02:03 AM
I've been following Turf Paradise for 24 years now. The Hasta La Vista Handicap at 15 furlongs has become something of a local tradition there. It's usually the only turf race of the meet where the riders have to go around twice. I've never seen a rider misjudge the distance of this race before. But I have seen many a fan do so- often cursing the rider of their pick for not riding to the wire before realizing that they have to go around the course again.

Here's the comments taken from the official chart:

FADE TO BLUE challenged for the lead on the final turn, dueled to mid stretch and drew clear. GOLDEN APPROVAL was unhurried early, offered a late rally and got up for place while no threat to the winner. PALADIN POWER challenged for the lead on the final turn, dueled to mid stretch, couldn't match strides with the winner and was caught for place. GERIRIG was unhurried early, went a bit wide in the drive, finished well and gained late. TIZ A COUP had the rider misjudge the distance, drew off for a long lead early and fell back. PITTSBURGH STAR showed speed to the final turn and gave way. V'VILLE LADY failed to threaten in an even effort. ADJUTANT (GB) was outrun. MONEY SET was through early. YUKON STRIKE pulled up and was vanned off.

trying2win
05-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Ralph,

I clicked on the link you provided. My Windows Media Player 9 pops up, but the Turf Paradise video doesn't work. All I can hear is the voice of the announcer cutting in and out. Got any tips on making the video to work?

Thanks,

T2W

Speed Figure
05-17-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by trying2win
Ralph,

I clicked on the link you provided. My Windows Media Player 9 pops up, but the Turf Paradise video doesn't work. All I can hear is the voice of the announcer cutting in and out. Got any tips on making the video to work?

I got the same thing.:confused:

JustRalph
05-17-2004, 02:48 AM
It is linking right off the Brisbet free race replays.........with a little tweaking from moi

I just tried it again and it worked fine..................

You might want to set your media player options to buffer 60 seconds.........that is what mine does........but remember, if you are buffering 60 seconds and you are playing online........you are at least a minute behind the normal feed, so don't use it for playing right before they go off somewhere............you will get locked out..........

trying2win
05-17-2004, 03:04 AM
Ralph,

I tried your suggestion with the 60 sec. buffer option. The Turf Paradise video still doesn't work. Got similar results...i.e. just get the voice of the announcer cutting in and out, with no video....Oh well! Thanks anyway.

One extra note. The announcer on the Turf Paradise video sounded like Mike Dimoff, the same fella that does the calls at the Northlands Park thoroughbred meet.

T2W

Speed Figure
05-17-2004, 03:11 AM
I Just got to see it and that's FUNNY!:D

rokitman
05-17-2004, 11:32 AM
That wasn't a bad finish, as second finishes go!

JustRalph
05-17-2004, 02:00 PM
They ought to add two lines to his past performances..........

A one mile win

and a 7 Furlong 5th place finish........or maybe a 7F workout

andicap
05-17-2004, 09:31 PM
LOL!!!
Trying to imagine what the jock thought when he realized, "Oh, shit!" and he had to regain the horse's momentum.

what did they go the final half in anyway? a minute?