PDA

View Full Version : TVG and HRTV merge

grandstander21
03-01-2015, 02:20 PM
As you all may have heard, TVG and HRTV are merging together (http://www.drf.com/news/tvg-acquires-lone-television-competitor-hrtv). Now I know how all of you feel. Most racing fans are disappointed by this merge, while very few are happy about this. This merge will allow TVG to telecast races from Gulfstream Park and be on-track live at Santa Anita. I personally find this news kind of surprising, but I wanna get to the point. What do you guys think of both TVG and HRTV in general?

About TVG, I've heard most people say that they can't stand the on-air TV hosts and that they make fools of themselves. They also say they don't know how to pick horses, are always talking about themselves, and are always touting multi-race tickets that never win half of the time. More than half of people say Todd Shrupp is annoying and talks too much, and so does Simon Bray. I've also seen some people say TVG's in-house graphics are terrible.

On the other hand, most racing fans say HRTV is way better than TVG. They say the on-air personalities on HRTV actually know how to handicap and have shown a great love and knowledge of horse racing. The handicappers have very intelligent insight. Plus, they have good in-depth programming such as Against the Odds, The Horizon, The Edge, and Pursuit of the Crown/Cup.

When it comes to me, I've mostly been watching TVG for the past five years. It's because I had DirecTV which doesn't carry HRTV. I personally had no problem with TVG or their on-air talent. I didn't realize how bad people think it is. I haven't watched HRTV in a long time so it seems like I've been really missing out. I wanna know what all of you think. What are all of your opinions on both of these networks?

Stillriledup
03-01-2015, 02:27 PM
As you all may have heard, TVG and HRTV are merging together (http://www.drf.com/news/tvg-acquires-lone-television-competitor-hrtv). Now I know how all of you feel. Most racing fans are disappointed by this merge, while very few are happy about this. This merge will allow TVG to telecast races from Gulfstream Park and be on-track live at Santa Anita. I personally find this news kind of surprising, but I wanna get to the point. What do you guys think of both TVG and HRTV in general?

About TVG, I've heard most people say that they can't stand the on-air TV hosts and that they make fools of themselves. They also say they don't know how to pick horses, are always talking about themselves, and are always touting multi-race tickets that never win half of the time. More than half of people say Todd Shrupp is annoying and talks too much, and so does Simon Bray. I've also seen some people say TVG's in-house graphics are terrible.

On the other hand, most racing fans say HRTV is way better than TVG. They say the on-air personalities on HRTV actually know how to handicap and have shown a great love and knowledge of horse racing. The handicappers have very intelligent insight. Plus, they have good in-depth programming such as Against the Odds, The Horizon, The Edge, and Pursuit of the Crown/Cup.

When it comes to me, I've mostly been watching TVG for the past five years. It's because I had DirecTV which doesn't carry HRTV. I personally had no problem with TVG or their on-air talent. I didn't realize how bad people think it is. I haven't watched HRTV in a long time so it seems like I've been really missing out. I wanna know what all of you think. What are all of your opinions on both of these networks?

Same here with Directv, so i don't know much about HRTV or have even seen one second of one broadcast.

As far as TVG goes, i think that most don't mind a little joking once in a while to keep the mood light, but there's way too much clowning around, people take betting seriously and the clowning adds nothing to the pursuit of picking winners and making money.

IF they want to clown around, they should have kept the late DD program, they could have had a specific hour block where they could do all the clowning they want, otherwise, keep it serious, people are risking hard earned money on these races, this is no joking matter.

grandstander21
03-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Well said, Stillriledup. Thanks for your opinion.

duncan04
03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Same here with Directv, so i don't know much about HRTV or have even seen one second of one broadcast.

As far as TVG goes, i think that most don't mind a little joking once in a while to keep the mood light, but there's way too much clowning around, people take betting seriously and the clowning adds nothing to the pursuit of picking winners and making money.

IF they want to clown around, they should have kept the late DD program, they could have had a specific hour block where they could do all the clowning they want, otherwise, keep it serious, people are risking hard earned money on these races, this is no joking matter.

I thought everyone who was serious about betting avoided TVG and already had HRN? At least numerous threads already covered that

Stillriledup
03-01-2015, 03:36 PM
I thought everyone who was serious about betting avoided TVG and already had HRN? At least numerous threads already covered that

Not everyone wants to pay 50 a month when they can get the tracks they want on TVG or watch streaming video online. Also, TVG does have their good points, the interviews and you get some inside scoop from trainers, jocks and owners sometimes, so it does have its place.

tcasolo
03-01-2015, 05:44 PM
At this point I'm not happy with the merger. My local cable only offers HRTV. So I've never seen TVG unless on at a sports bar with no volume. I enjoy the live feeds and analysis from Santa Anita, and the other major tracks that HRTV has.

What I don't like going forward is that I don't get TVG and they will have all the major tracks.

DeltaLover
03-01-2015, 07:24 PM
What do you guys think of both TVG and HRTV in general?

I do not care the least about either one.. The few times I betting from home, my nyrarewards web site is more than enough for live feed, tote monitoring and bet placing..

Tall One
03-02-2015, 09:40 PM
At least the music has improved on Drive Time....just played some Eagles, man.. :ThmbUp:

BlinkersOn
03-03-2015, 12:03 AM
If you are watching the horse racing channels for handicapping tips...you have a problem. You should be doing your own capping. I'm really happy TVG and HRTV merged, because I didn't get to see all the tracks on TVG that I do now. I pay little attention the announcers. I'm there to see the races. Just mute the TV.

letswastemoney
03-03-2015, 04:32 AM
I don't see what's wrong with just watching the simulcast feed.

At this point, I trust very few people with handicapping advice. Certainly no one on TVG or HRTV can teach me anything new. It's a hard game. They will give out winners and losers just like everyone else on these message boards.

therussmeister
03-03-2015, 06:58 AM
Virtually every track I play has streaming video on their website, although in order to get NYRA tracks I have to go through Capital City OTB's website.

NY BRED
03-03-2015, 07:03 AM
interesting the TVG crew is relying on Caton's analysis of
how the GP races will run based upon the appearance of the
horses during the post parade.

I'll be interested to hear how Simon reacts or clashes when he returns..

fmolf
03-03-2015, 07:05 AM
I don't see what's wrong with just watching the simulcast feed.

At this point, I trust very few people with handicapping advice. Certainly no one on TVG or HRTV can teach me anything new. It's a hard game. They will give out winners and losers just like everyone else on these message boards.
I have both tvg and hrtv and i find hrtv to be a little bit better because in my opinion they are more geared towards the serious player.On tvg they are constantly touting their own tickets which contain the favorite in every leg,so when they do hit one it is severely underlaid!...Jeff Siegel on hrtv gives tremendous insight as does Simon Bray& Nick Hines on tvg (although the latter two can be annoying) both give a trainers view of things.When the tv noise becomes distractingto my handicapping and monitoring the tote(thru Bris supertote) i simply mute the talking heads for awhile!

wisconsin
03-03-2015, 09:15 AM
interesting the TVG crew is relying on Caton's analysis of
how the GP races will run based upon the appearance of the
horses during the post parade.

I'll be interested to hear how Simon reacts or clashes when he returns..

Is it me, or is Caton's delivery annoying like fingers on a chalkboard? Almost like she's yelling into the phone.

Canarsie
03-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Is it me, or is Caton's delivery annoying like fingers on a chalkboard? Almost like she's yelling into the phone.

No matter how she sounds (I disagree with you) her job is well done. She gets straight to the point and there's no singing, dressing up like a giraffe, or other childish buffoonery when she's on the air. Now if they would only use Christina Blacker more that would make me a happy camper.

my two cents

Golf man
03-03-2015, 10:32 AM
I have no problem with intelligent paddock or on track analysis and in the same vein no problem with studio analysis from competent handicappers. That being said there should be running documentation of how well each talking head is doing. That would certainly separate the "contenders". Some of the yakkers couldn't pick their rear ends with both hands, while others might actually be decent handicappers. But unless you keep your own book on who their picking, what kind of race it is - sprint, route, turf, etc. you are better off turning down the sound and doing your own 'capping.

SuperPickle
03-03-2015, 05:52 PM
I have Fios so I've been fortunate to have both for years. I generally flip back and forth but there's one difference in a nutshell.

TVG really doesn't have any bettors. Gino bets but he's the worst. Weaver and Paulie bet and honestly Paulie is probably the best thoroughbred handicapper on the channel aside from Simon on Southern Cal grass. This Sunday he gave out a 10-1 shot in a weak claimer at GP. You got the vibe from the way he talks he puts some money from the window. Matt probably also bets but he's a one trick pony. Everyone one of his best bets are horses he thinks are long front runners.

But nobody on TVG is closer to Siegel or Kurt Hoover. You can listen to Siegel for 30 seconds and realize he's watched replays and he understands form. Even if you think he's wrong you can tell he does a ton of homework. All summer long he gives out nice price daymakers. The only issue is he's rarely on.

If you're betting So Cal without listening to Kurt Hoover you're doing yourself a displeasure. Three Sundays ago he talked about how he "loved" a Hector Palma horse called Head South in the last race. He mentioned the horse 3-4 times through out the card. The horse went wire-to-wire geared down at around 14-1. And its not just his picks. What I find even more valuable is if he hates a favorite, or has a strong pace opinion or if he went deep or short in a leg. That stuff he's more right than wrong.

Caton is good too but they literally go to he when they are loading in the gate so its almost useless.

Tall One
03-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Agreed, Canarsie. It's almost like some dont remember when Caton was in studio for TVG along side Julie Krone, and Corey Black. Caton has some good insight, but as noted, they don't give her the time sometimes like NYRA does Maggie Wolfendale.

JustRalph
03-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Reading on Twitter that all the hosts on HRTV were let go today

The Hawk
03-06-2015, 04:07 PM
ALL of them? They're not even keeping Pincay, Siegel, or some of the better ones?

Curlin
03-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Race day America is done. Can't say I'll miss Peter and Millie.

ldiatone
03-06-2015, 04:42 PM
WOW!

wisconsin
03-06-2015, 05:17 PM

I find that hard to believe. They had some real good hosts.

Tara73
03-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Today, we got a stretch run of a Tampa race on tape delay. I love the merger.

cj
03-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Sounds like the format is scrapped, not the hosts.

JustRalph
03-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Sounds like the format is scrapped, not the hosts.

Call Larry......

JustRalph
03-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Saw this a while ago

cj
03-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Call Larry......

I'm not saying it isn't true, but the guys on HRTV just said "goodbye to Raceday America", as in the show, and stressed THEY were not saying goodbye, just the show and the format.

JustRalph
03-06-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm not saying it isn't true, but the guys on HRTV just said "goodbye to Raceday America", as in the show, and stressed THEY were not saying goodbye, just the show and the format.

I've seen some tweets that they can apply to work at TVG down the road.

Can't trust Twitter though.....so I didn't post those

I can't believe they wouldn't keep some?

Edit: DRF just tweeted "some will be back"

andtheyreoff
03-06-2015, 06:01 PM
I've seen some tweets that they can apply to work at TVG down the road.

Can't trust Twitter though.....so I didn't post those

I can't believe they wouldn't keep some?

Edit: DRF just tweeted "some will be back"

That what I would imagine. After all, TVG still needs hosts to fill airtime on "TVG2" or whatever.

Grits
03-06-2015, 06:02 PM
One can only hope. HRTV has some very good hosts/analysts. It would be a travesty for these two to merge, and some of the best get pink slipped. Maybe TVG could cut back on a couple of the too young and less experienced.

The Hawk
03-06-2015, 06:07 PM

Steve Andersen tweeted this:

HRTV staff were notified earlier on Friday that this will be the network's last day of programming with on-air hosts. #santaanita

That last part makes me think it will just be graphics and live feeds, with no hosts.

horses4courses
03-06-2015, 09:11 PM

HRTV staff were notified earlier on Friday that this will be the network's last day of programming with on-air hosts. #santaanita

That last part makes me think it will just be graphics and live feeds, with no hosts.

Yep.....looks like HRTV hosts ride off into the sunset - most of them, anyway.
Recent tweet from Zoe Cadman:

Zoe Cadman ‏@zoecadman 7s7 seconds ago
Boarding a plane and just got the news @HRTV has its last day today - to my Hrtv family it has been one HELL OF A RIDE-) #rideonmyfriends

tanner12oz
03-06-2015, 09:15 PM
From what I saw this was it...kinda sad because they had alot to offer. More knowledgeable then tvg but the quality, style was in the stoneage

RunDustyRun
03-06-2015, 09:23 PM
They will be missed....the Horizon and the player were two shows I liked to watch after handicapping to see if I had missed anything....on one occasion I added a horse into a pick five based on what Aaron Varycruz had said and it hit for more than two grand....occasionally some good information was thrown out in those shows....always tough to see folks lose jobs and Seigel, aaron and Zoe, along w/ Caton were legit players

Tom
03-06-2015, 10:04 PM
Race day America is done. Can't say I'll miss Peter and Millie.

You would rather what that idiot Todd and jerk Matt?
Maybe it is better for them not to have to report to work for the goons at TVG.
:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Tom
03-06-2015, 10:05 PM
I find that hard to believe. They had some real good hosts.

The irony is TVG has NONE.

Then they will be 10 times as good as TVG.

Time to dump DISH and get RTN....no sense paying for the bottom of the barrel.

thaskalos
03-06-2015, 10:14 PM

TVG should be the channel with the graphics, live feeds...and no hosts.

Curlin
03-06-2015, 10:28 PM
You would rather what that idiot Todd and jerk Matt?
Maybe it is better for them not to have to report to work for the goons at TVG.
:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Calm down. I said no such thing. just when talking about hrtv, I always preferred everyone other than those two.

NY BRED
03-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Just entered this link.

Are Jeff and Aaron terminated as well?

upthecreek
03-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Today, we got a stretch run of a Tampa race on tape delay. I love the merger.

All races are listed to be shown live today I think they showed the first 7 yesterday

SandyW
03-07-2015, 09:53 AM
I guess all the hosts that left TVG for HRTV made a bad career decision.
If anything most people thought that HRTV would take over TVG, not the other way around.

Robes
03-07-2015, 09:53 AM

I hope it's not true,IMO the 2 that should be fired are the 2 Todds both are know nothing clowns.

SandyW
03-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Peter Lurie tweet this morning:

Final Episode of RDA TODAY...join us thru 12:30 pm pst.

duncan04
03-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Geez how many TVG sucks threads do we honestly need? I know that wasn't the original premise of this thread but how quickly does it turn to that EVERY sing time. Smh. :bang:

duncan04
03-07-2015, 01:16 PM
I guess all the hosts that left TVG for HRTV made a bad career decision.
If anything most people thought that HRTV would take over TVG, not the other way around.

TVG bought HRTV, why did you expect that? Usually a company doesn't buy another company and the buyer is the one that folds.

cj
03-07-2015, 01:34 PM
TVG bought HRTV, why did you expect that? Usually a company doesn't buy another company and the buyer is the one that folds.

He means before it happened, though I don't agree most people thought that, not if they used common sense.

duncan04
03-07-2015, 03:29 PM
He means before it happened, though I don't agree most people thought that, not if they used common sense.

You're right. I misread it. My apologies

Tom
03-07-2015, 03:47 PM
As of today, it looks like TVG has all the crap tracks I would not play with your money.

I think HRTV has the better line up, other than GG.

arw629
03-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Geez how many TVG sucks threads do we honestly need? I know that wasn't the original premise of this thread but how quickly does it turn to that EVERY sing time. Smh. :bang:

Because TVG is trash compared to HRTV....the people have spoken....how many people actually posted on here that TVG was the better product or had a better staff?

The Hawk
03-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Jeff Siegel tweeted that he and Aaron V. will not be making the move over to TVG.

duncan04
03-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Because TVG is trash compared to HRTV....the people have spoken....how many people actually posted on here that TVG was the better product or had a better staff?

Boy you totally missed my point. Try reading next time. :rolleyes: :bang:

JustRalph
03-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Jeff Siegel tweeted that he and Aaron V. will not be making the move over to TVG.

That's a loss.......

JimG
03-09-2015, 08:45 PM

On the positive side it sounds like they are weighing some opportunities and plan to continue working together. I think they made a good team.

Jim

Appy
03-09-2015, 11:24 PM
On the positive side it sounds like they are weighing some opportunities and plan to continue working together. I think they made a good team.

Jim

My favorite pair.

shoelessjoe
03-14-2015, 08:34 AM
Don't forget Michelle Yu

GaryG
03-14-2015, 08:39 AM
Jeff Siegel tweeted that he and Aaron V. will not be making the move over to TVG.I expected this unfortunately....can you imagine a professional like Jeff working with Todd and the rest of the ship of fools over there? I just re-ordered RTN. Thought I would save the $50, but not now.

Bullet Plane
03-14-2015, 09:06 PM
They really messed this up...

by having TVG show the big tracks..

Now U-verse TV viewers can't see the big tracks. (and Oaklawn is usually deemed a small track.. but because they have the big races today.. it shifts arbitrarily to TVG)

I have to watch the small tracks unless, the programing is on Fox Sports network.

I can't believe it!

I was watching the Razorback on Fox.. when half-way down the home stretch...

they cut the programming off!!

I mean, really who watches 4/5's of a horse race?

YGBSM!!

NY BRED
03-15-2015, 08:32 AM

Probably prepping for Todd when the picks go wrong..

:p

NY BRED
03-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Message to DRF/ Steve Christ

Here is an opportunity to compete with TVG.

Work a deal with a cable company, Have Jeff and Aaron as your
Anchor Crew and you've an opportunity to grow your
products and DRF BETS.
Throw in a couple of people to analyze the tbreds as they enter the
post parade and you are guaranteed a viable and intelligent alternative to TVG.

:jump: :jump:

davew
03-15-2015, 10:59 AM

products and DRF BETS.

Only worry about east coast, base in NY, include Serling and Beer and would have something. DRF has already done some 'webcasts' that have been rather nice considering the low overhead they seemed to use. They might be able to do it over the web from their DRF platform.

MJC922
03-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Only worry about east coast, base in NY, include Serling and Beer and would have something. DRF has already done some 'webcasts' that have been rather nice considering the low overhead they seemed to use. They might be able to do it over the web from their DRF platform.

I agree DRF has some really good people, I sat through a bunch of their online content yesterday, Illman & Bernier, Privman & Watchmaker. It's good stuff, thoughtful and articulate content like this is really great for racing in my opinion. I like Simon too on Twinspires podcast. I think that's probably a big challenge with TVG & HRTV is getting people on there doing LIVE stuff, not easy to find the right people I imagine.

I'm sure a lot of really good handicappers are out there but TV is a different skill set. It's kind of like where I work, a software dev company, on the dev team some of them aren't the best coders but they get groomed for presenting and other management type roles, then you might have a real star coder that you just leave alone in the corner to do his thing because all he wants to do is come in every day with greasy hair, grunt and eat pop-tarts.

duncan04
03-15-2015, 12:34 PM
They really messed this up...

by having TVG show the big tracks..

Now U-verse TV viewers can't see the big tracks. (and Oaklawn is usually deemed a small track.. but because they have the big races today.. it shifts arbitrarily to TVG)

I have to watch the small tracks unless, the programing is on Fox Sports network.

I can't believe it!

I was watching the Razorback on Fox.. when half-way down the home stretch...

they cut the programming off!!

I mean, really who watches 4/5's of a horse race?

YGBSM!!

That is the problem when it's on Fox, they have a set time when TVG is on. If a race is halfway over when the end time hits, boom cut it off for the next scheduled program.

mrbobbyd
03-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Yes I agree FSN SUCKS You get racing 12:30 to 2:30 then 1min before the race starts they switch over to SNOWBOARDING,Are you kidding me they are horrible.:ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown: I have Uverse it only has HRTV they dropped TVG a month after I switch from COX now I will go back,Unless AT&T get TVG back soon.

Canarsie
03-16-2015, 11:46 AM

products and DRF BETS.

Are you really that naive to think its that easy. The reason HRTV wasn't in as many homes as TVG is that they usually refused to pay for air time. Read this WSJ article and see how the big boys see their largest opportunity in broadband and communications.

More Cable Companies Take TV Off Menu

http://www.wsj.com/articles/more-cable-companies-take-tv-off-menu-1412120310

To start a horse racing channel now would be suicidal to say the least. If it was that easy DRF would have been up and running a decade ago. If I recall correctly isn't DRF Bets piggybacked to another ADW like 4NJBets is?

The smart move would be to create a Roku, Apple, Amazon channel and try to grow with that resource. DRF constantly tweets (annoyingly to me) about DRF Live but who wants to have a bunch of tabs being constantly opened and then close them by mistake. NYRA is on Roku and it is outstanding. Same for Horse Races Now so much racing information in one concise spot.

Betfair's ultimate business model is almost like the cable companies. Both see the writing on the wall and want to invest in the strongest opportunities possible. To Betfair that is exchange wagering and expanding that to include such exotic wagering opportunities as the color of the queens hat on a particular day. Imagine how much money would be invested on the 2016 elections if legal.

upthecreek
03-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Are you really that naive to think its that easy. The reason HRTV wasn't in as many homes as TVG is that they usually refused to pay for air time. Read this WSJ article and see how the big boys see their largest opportunity in broadband and communications.

More Cable Companies Take TV Off Menu

http://www.wsj.com/articles/more-cable-companies-take-tv-off-menu-1412120310

To start a horse racing channel now would be suicidal to say the least. If it was that easy DRF would have been up and running a decade ago. If I recall correctly isn't DRF Bets piggybacked to another ADW like 4NJBets is?

The smart move would be to create a Roku, Apple, Amazon channel and try to grow with that resource. DRF constantly tweets (annoyingly to me) about DRF Live but who wants to have a bunch of tabs being constantly opened and then close them by mistake. NYRA is on Roku and it is outstanding. Same for Horse Races Now so much racing information in one concise spot.

Betfair's ultimate business model is almost like the cable companies. Both see the writing on the wall and want to invest in the strongest opportunities possible. To Betfair that is exchange wagering and expanding that to include such exotic wagering opportunities as the color of the queens hat on a particular day. Imagine how much money would be invested on the 2016 elections if legal.

4NJBets is TVG ,only option in NJ

Canarsie
03-17-2015, 09:59 AM
4NJBets is TVG ,only option in NJ

DRF Bets uses the xpressbets interface and hardware making them the only option if you choose to use them. 4NJBets (I am a customer) uses Betfair. I used the word "piggybacked" just to compare how the two (actually four) operate.

Daily Racing Form launches DRF Bets in partnership with XpressBet

http://www.drf.com/events/daily-racing-form-launches-drf-bets-partnership-xpressbet

Fifth paragraph about Xpressbet and drfbets.

http://www.drf.com/news/cdi-sells-share-hrtv-back-stronach

Not sure what your point is since we were talking about the video competition part of the business.

davew
04-24-2015, 11:31 PM

They showed up at Xpressbet ->

The Inside Scoop of What’s What in Horse Racing

You asked for more Aaron and Jeff. You’ve got it! Check back daily for exclusive video race previews, interviews, workout reports and handicapping tips and insights from two of the brightest minds in horse racing – Aaron Vercruysse and Jeff Siegel.

Handicapping the races in Gulfstream mandatory rainbow 6 payout 4/25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgnSshFcUag&list=PLu1ffn0ceuOaMbCyCLWeBBU1WacfME9J8&index=1

NY BRED
04-26-2015, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=Canarsie]Are you really that naive to think its that easy. The To start a horse racing channel now would be suicidal to say the least.

yes I am the NAIVE.

Golllyyyyyyy would you call me naïve 10 years ago when I would suggest
some entity(ie HRTV) provide live racing 7 days a week throughout America?

Anything is possible in this world including competiton to TVG.

It would appear the majority of the PA fans aren't exactly happy
with the TVG merger, and, as a fan, owner in the tri state area
this new "lineup" of TVG of track preference sucks.

So, enjoy yourself watching premier racing at Tampa, Pimlico
and Golden Gate and various standard bred tracks trumping live
NY racing while the results of the race you await roll across
your screen.

hoping NYRA gets this message and moves off their ass to
combat this scenario, would have to believe the scenario at TVG
is impacting their revenue.

Canarsie
04-26-2015, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Canarsie]Are you really that naive to think its that easy. The To start a horse racing channel now would be suicidal to say the least.

yes I am the NAIVE.

Golllyyyyyyy would you call me naïve 10 years ago when I would suggest
some entity(ie HRTV) provide live racing 7 days a week throughout America?

Anything is possible in this world including competiton to TVG.

It would appear the majority of the PA fans aren't exactly happy
with the TVG merger, and, as a fan, owner in the tri state area
this new "lineup" of TVG of track preference sucks.

So, enjoy yourself watching premier racing at Tampa, Pimlico
and Golden Gate and various standard bred tracks trumping live
NY racing while the results of the race you await roll across
your screen.

hoping NYRA gets this message and moves off their ass to
combat this scenario, would have to believe the scenario at TVG
is impacting their revenue.

I agree with everything you said till you went to competition. TVG signed a deal that was really beneficial to one group. That would be the one headed by Stronach who pulled an incredible coup making his tracks being shown mandatory preference. While I have no proof of this there were even double boxes when Gulfstream was up against Keeneland.

It's easy to spend others money when you state a new channel on cable could be formed. First off they would probably have to wait years for a high def slot putting them in the same situation as Betfair but even further back in the line.

Have you officially contacted NYRA and state your position (I'm on your side believe it or not) on getting a new channel off the ground? Certainly as an owner you have more input than a dummy like me who only wagers. I'm going to get hammered over this but I'm a big boy and can take it. You state "hoping NYRA gets this message and moves off their ass to combat this scenario". Do you really think NYRA gives more input to what written here about them instead of a personal email or letter? The old NYRA website was hammered by a good amount on here telling them how pathetic it is. Now that it's a tremendous product (in my opinion) how much praised do you see heaped upon them? People on here say don't play that track its not horseplayer friendly. Within the next week they're giving out picks for the same track. Why in the world would management of tracks thinks a thread should carry much more power than personal contact.

Would it be "naive" of me to inform you that neither channel has yet to turn a profit since infancy? Betfair might bury it deep in the books but just converting to HD isn't a nickel and dime expense. They also have to pay in order to be broadcast and that was the reason HRTV was in much less households than TVG. Why would any startup try to take on a business model which would need a significant increase in cable (in this country) technology. This would be needed so you can wager and watch any race you on within the same channel.

TVG sold for fifty million and if I recall correctly there wasn't much of a line to buy it. Some though they might even close up shop if they didn't find a buyer. Where does the opportunity for profit come from now? Do you realize that NYRA (PLEASE STAY THAT WAY) is the only major property that Betfair doesn’t have locked up for quite some time? Please explain to me how any startup is going to overcome all of these obstacles?

What can a person do if they don’t like TVG? They can use the roku app which broadcasts tremendous video quality. The web is available even though some people think by making you sign up they are violating your rights. There are apps for IOS, android, and probably the windows version also. All of these can be started up and running within a minute as long as any type of unit is powered on already. You also get the top (my opinion) handicapping team in the country who don’t beg you to wager, not even once.

Sadly that's the only competition that is going to exist for quite some time. Betfair is after bigger and better things but for right now (again my opinion) they want a reduction in fees (no proof my opinion) from NYRA otherwise they get punished by being put on delay instead of being shown live.

Tom
05-23-2015, 04:22 PM
So they have had plenty of time to figure our how to run this mess, but it looks to me like far more upcoming races are listed as TAPE instead of a time or channel. And I have not seen a Belmont race all day. But the time dedicated to mindless chatter seems to have doubled.

The number of races they show on the two channels could easily be shown as commercials on a real TV network. Probably suited for the Comedy Channel.

Piss poor product on both channels.
TVG dragged HRTV down to it's level. :ThmbDown:

gheuks
07-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Pretty sure I've been hearing Peter Lurie on tvg/hrtv.

MYKE
07-09-2015, 07:05 PM
My satellite dish would get both TVG and HRTV I found myself watching TVG.

HRTV hosts were monotone and boring they could put a person to sleep except for pincay the hosting also ended in the late afternoon. I didn't see winning selections that often either TVG

duncan04
07-10-2015, 04:27 AM
Pretty sure I've been hearing Peter Lurie on tvg/hrtv.

You have. He is back

Thomas Roulston
07-10-2015, 10:20 AM
TVG has done for horse racing what WFAN has done for sports in general.

bbixler18
07-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Anyone know if Directv is going to add HRTV anytime soon?

Stillriledup
07-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Anyone know if Directv is going to add HRTV anytime soon?

They'll get right on it after this happens.

N_WWbWBRV-c