PDA

View Full Version : Can SMARTY outrun history ???

fmhealth
05-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Well two down one to go. Recently we had both War Emblem & Funny Cide in the same position. Both looked sharp coming into the Belmont. BOTH LOSTED !!

I called both trainers {Baffert & TAGG} in the weeks leading-up to their date with destiny. Informed them about a piece of "racing trivia" that could derail their plans. Both found it interesting if irrelevant in their particular cases. Well history is sometimes a very tough adversary.

SOO, here we go. First off there have been 27 colts that have run in the BELMONT STAKES with a chance an equine immortality. 11 have succeeded. What are the only TWO FACTORS that all 11 shared??

1- All obviously had previously won the Derby & Preakness. We all know that.

2- Of lesser visibility but of significant importance is the following. ALL T/C WINNERS HAD A PREVIOUS RACE OVER THE BELMONT STRIP !!

Smarty has NEVER RACED AT BELMONT. Will this be the one hurdle he can't overcome ?? I'll call Servis next week and give him this info. Maybe he'll have a "trial race" with Smarty & a couple of stablemates at Bel.

Since Smarty figures to be in the vicinity of 1-5. There just might be some value in a possible "bet-against" situation. Certainly some food for thought !!!

JPinMaryland
05-16-2004, 06:30 PM
I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

JustRalph
05-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by fmhealth
BOTH LOSTED !!

I think you have LOSTED IT!

kingfin66
05-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Smarty Jones WILL win the Belmont Stakes in 3 weeks. People can say what they want about this year's week crop of 3 year olds, etc., etc.. The fact is, he is the best 3 year old out there, and it's time to start giving Mr. Smarty Jones the respect he deserves.

JimL
05-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Smarty, does not know how to losted!! JimL

Valuist
05-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Enjoy what you will be seeing because you may have to wait another 25 years to see it again. Do not compare him to those posers we've seen in the past 7 years. They were not worthy; Smarty Jones is.

fmhealth
05-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Thanks Ralph & Jim for pointing-out the error of my spelling. You would think that after 'capping for 45 years the ONE word I'd know how to spell is LOST !!!

I can only attribute this to my meager intellect being fried after standing around the paddock at AP yesterday. Six hours of total bliss on the first Saturday of the meet. It's paradise & probaly the closest I'll ever get to heaven.

I really do have to get a life !!!

JustRalph
05-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by fmhealth
Thanks Ralph & Jim for pointing-out the error of my spelling. You would think that after 'capping for 45 years the ONE word I'd know how to spell is LOST !!!

Now that was just as funny as the Misspelling.........:D

Bubbles
05-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by kingfin66
Smarty Jones WILL win the Belmont Stakes in 3 weeks. People can say what they want about this year's week crop of 3 year olds, etc., etc.. The fact is, he is the best 3 year old out there, and it's time to start giving Mr. Smarty Jones the respect he deserves.

This sounds a lot like Seattle Slew talk. After the Derby, everyone said he was just a good horse in a bad lot, but after the Preakness, cappers realized how great of a horse he really was.

I watched this race at some TV in a restaurant in Binghamton. A few other guys surrounded it, and once Smarty got the race "won," everyone shouted "STEW, REIN THE HORSE IN!"

And he actually did.

He was three or four lengths within himself, easily. That effort suggests he'll have plenty of gas left for the Belmont.

kenwoodallpromos
05-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Of course you have to run the race. SJ could gey hurt, sick, bad start, another jockey could shoot Sj or Elliot. But if Sj runs and does not have an unusually bad day and still gets beat the winner will have run Secretariat's 2:24 just to tie him at SJ's last 3 race fractions of exactly 12 seconds per furlong.

Speed Figure
05-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
Of course you have to run the race. SJ could gey hurt, sick, bad start, another jockey could shoot Sj or Elliot. But if Sj runs and does not have an unusually bad day and still gets beat the winner will have run Secretariat's 2:24 just to tie him at SJ's last 3 race fractions of exactly 12 seconds per furlong.

Is this a joke! No horse in the belmont will come close to running that time. Point Given ran the 4th best time in 2:26 2/5, and won by 12+ lengths. Smarty's last race was 12.57 per furlong. I have his derby at 13.05 per furlong. Ark derby was 12.56 per furlong. I will take all bets that these horses don't run faster than 2:26. ;)

JPinMaryland
05-17-2004, 01:07 AM
yeah a 2:24 seems out of the question. But what sort of time would:

a) win this years Belmont? and

b) would impress you enuf to compare to Sec?

Turf2Dirt
05-17-2004, 01:28 AM
If he breaks 2:26, that would be enough to really get people talking

ceejay
05-17-2004, 10:46 AM
2:24 was IMO the most dominating athletic performance by any horse or human athlete in an individual sport that I have ever seen (or heard of). SJ does not need to approach that time to be considered a great one.

Fastracehorse
05-17-2004, 09:49 PM
The Belmont field will not be competitive.

This horse is head and shoulders above the rest.

He is capable of hitting the high 120's ( Beyer ).

fffastt

kenwoodallpromos
05-17-2004, 11:26 PM
I guess I rounded down a little for the 12 per f, but he was close i think, 1:36 and change for 1 mile.
I do not see anyone talking about a realistic competitor yet.

linrom1
05-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Smarty could win the Belmont, but, I think he'll stop at about 1 1/4.

pat
05-18-2004, 07:36 AM
This guy is the REAL DEAL just sit back and watch history in the making.Get those vcrs ready to show the grand kids in 25 yrs

vespa7
05-18-2004, 08:34 AM
The interesting thing about Smarty's last run is that jock Elliot said he seems to be getting better! Wow! Agreed with a lot of post Baffert, Frankel and others don't have many 3 year olds firing this year. First post here this forum looks great hope to be a regular.

pandy
05-18-2004, 09:59 AM
A few people where surprised that the Racing Form called Smarty Jones as "driving". It sure looked like "ridden out" to this old chartcaller from my Sports Eye days.

That little sucker can run.

Pandy

delayjf
05-18-2004, 11:54 AM
I always wondered if Real Quit got fooled into a premature move in his Belmont.

My only reservation concerning Smarty' greatness is his Beyers are no better than previous horses who were successful in the TC. If he does kick it up a notch and does start running in the 120 range, then you can throw him in with the rest of the great ones.

So far he's head and shoulders better than what he's faced. Somebody will have to kick it up a notch if they want to beat him. But they may not have to step it up into the 118 range to beat him. The distance might bring Smarty back to the field. It will be interesting to see what happens in the Peter Pan. Lots of Belmont winners have come from that race.

kenwoodallpromos
05-18-2004, 12:01 PM
That is all they can do to "drive" the odds up!