PDA

View Full Version : Mountaineer '15 Season

mountainvalleypete
02-27-2015, 08:09 PM
So Mountaineer opens up this Sunday, and fields are much better than I thought they would be. But yikes, just don't see much good coming out of the competition between them and Mahoning over the next couple months. I love both tracks, and plan on patronizing both very frequently. However, just don't think it's realistic for there to be 9 racing days each week between the two of them. Kind of wish the tracks would collaborate on some sort of deal.

lamboguy
02-27-2015, 08:24 PM
we are all looking forward to another great year of racing at The Mountain.

i will be back there again this year for the West Virginia Derby.

therussmeister
02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
So Mountaineer opens up this Sunday, and fields are much better than I thought they would be. But yikes, just don't see much good coming out of the competition between them and Mahoning over the next couple months. I love both tracks, and plan on patronizing both very frequently. However, just don't think it's realistic for there to be 9 racing days each week between the two of them. Kind of wish the tracks would collaborate on some sort of deal.
Fields are always much better than one would think they would be for the opening weekend of all tracks. It's the second week that tells the real story.

cutchemist42
02-28-2015, 12:29 AM
The Mountain just has that something else that makes it easily my fave night track. Maybe the most listenable pre-race show, and I think Peter Berry is great at his job.

judd
02-28-2015, 06:46 AM
we are all looking forward to another great year of racing at The Mountain.

i will be back there again this year for the West Virginia Derby.
Love races 1 :D

tanner12oz
02-28-2015, 07:32 AM
Shippers typically crush till the local boys get up and running after a long winter

mountainvalleypete
02-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Agreed. Wish more tracks had the conversational (and often hilarious) race previews that Mark and Nancy have every night. As for Peter Berry, in my opinion, they just do not get any better. That said, I really wish Mountaineer would revamp its schedule to better suit the amount of horses there are available to race. I feel even just cutting back to 4 days per week would help immensely.

jk3521
02-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Let's see if they go. Have you seen the weather forecast for tomorrow afternoon?http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/USWV0143:1:US

mountainman
02-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Bloody, but unbowed, boys. Bloody, but unbowed.

BombsAway Bob
02-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Bloody, but unbowed, boys. Bloody, but unbowed.
Monday, March 2nd,
7th #Mountaineer
#DRF #RaceOfTheDay
FREE Formulator PPs!
http://www.drf.com/race-of-the-day

if i had ONE WiSH, it would be a 4-Day race week
with the return of Ten Races nightly.
That would bring about the return of TWO Pick-5's nightly,
& prevent having the 5th race from overlapping & being crucial to
so many horizontal bets (as it currently does in 8-9 race cards.)

lamboguy
02-28-2015, 08:04 PM
there was a pretty decent haircut in purses for this upcoming meet. maiden special weights is now $14,100 down from over $17,000 last year, down from over $22,000 a few years ago.

most of the races there will have $6000 purses for the bottom claimer's there.

being the racing secretary will be one of the most challenging jobs in the world this year at THE MOUNTAIN. there are going to be some very short fields there some days.

it might have been easier to cut down on their big day of racing where the purses are all over $100,000 and the big purse is $750,000, its a great day for sure.

mountainvalleypete
02-28-2015, 08:34 PM
there was a pretty decent haircut in purses for this upcoming meet. maiden special weights is now $14,100 down from over $17,000 last year, down from over $22,000 a few years ago.

most of the races there will have $6000 purses for the bottom claimer's there.

being the racing secretary will be one of the most challenging jobs in the world this year at THE MOUNTAIN. there are going to be some very short fields there some days.

it might have been easier to cut down on their big day of racing where the purses are all over $100,000 and the big purse is $750,000, its a great day for sure.

That's what I originally thought as well, but then heard those purses don't come from the same purse account? At least I'm pretty sure the Derby doesn't. I expect fields to improve at least a little bit once Turfway and Mahoning close for their seasons.

bello
03-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Agreed. Wish more tracks had the conversational (and often hilarious) race previews that Mark and Nancy have every night. As for Peter Berry, in my opinion, they just do not get any better. That said, I really wish Mountaineer would revamp its schedule to better suit the amount of horses there are available to race. I feel even just cutting back to 4 days per week would help immensely.

So true....These three folks got me hooked on a place I had no interest in.

Looking forward to the new season.

Stillriledup
03-01-2015, 03:29 PM
DA MOUNTAIN BEEE-OTCHES!

Opening night baby! (unless they cancel :D )

Stillriledup
03-01-2015, 08:58 PM
What was the guy doing on the 6 horse in the 6th? He was wrangling the horse back the entire way, looked like he was going to pull the horse up and then comes running on at the end. Why so far back and riding in this style in a 5F race.

Also very odd handling on the 5, the jock was sitting oddly on the horse almost yanking him back early in the race.

Stillriledup
03-01-2015, 09:45 PM
This is a wild place.....there are 7 one dimensional speedsters in the 8th and the 3-5 shot who figures to get outrun early walks to the top in a 5 Furlong race and somehow the 2 horse hangs around for 2nd, none of the other speeds made any attempt to do anything.

Just a bizarre place, throw the form out the window, means nothing at all.

Where's Paul Bunyon when you need him.

mountainvalleypete
03-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Definitely some wild results tonight. A couple winners who came off a series of dreadful Mahoning Valley races. I will still be scratching my head tomorrow morning over Hawkeye Declan. I mean really? :confused:

Stillriledup
03-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Definitely some wild results tonight. A couple winners who came off a series of dreadful Mahoning Valley races. I will still be scratching my head tomorrow morning over Hawkeye Declan. I mean really? :confused:

He won by 100 lengths without breaking a sweat on the lead....you mean, you couldn't have figured out he was going to do that by his PPs? :D

cnollfan
03-02-2015, 03:30 PM
This is a wild place.....there are 7 one dimensional speedsters in the 8th and the 3-5 shot who figures to get outrun early walks to the top in a 5 Furlong race and somehow the 2 horse hangs around for 2nd, none of the other speeds made any attempt to do anything.

Just a bizarre place, throw the form out the window, means nothing at all.

Where's Paul Bunyon when you need him.

I didn't think the race was that unusual -- I played the two, who was a nice price after showing good speed at Turfway, but the three had been running against very fast horses in New Orleans. Playable exacta for me. I thought the three took the two's path in the stretch, was hoping for the objection to be upheld, but not expecting it.

5 furlongs is a peculiar distance. Pace doesn't seem to matter much of the time.

duncan04
03-02-2015, 03:45 PM

That's why I hardly ever play Mountainner when they first start up. Its too unpredictable. That's why I usually wait a few weeks.

lamboguy
03-02-2015, 04:14 PM
That's why I hardly ever play Mountainner when they first start up. Its too unpredictable. That's why I usually wait a few weeks.i am doing the same thing, i will be watching and taking notes and will try in about 3 weeks.

Stillriledup
03-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I didn't think the race was that unusual -- I played the two, who was a nice price after showing good speed at Turfway, but the three had been running against very fast horses in New Orleans. Playable exacta for me. I thought the three took the two's path in the stretch, was hoping for the objection to be upheld, but not expecting it.

5 furlongs is a peculiar distance. Pace doesn't seem to matter much of the time.

I thought the 2 was the slowest horse according to Beyers, but the race shook out for him as none of the outside speeds circled around him, somehow the inner lanes there were much better.....good pick on that horse, he was a big price.

BetPTC
03-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Mountaineer cancelled racing for today.

jk3521
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Mountaineer cancelled racing for today.
Another way Mountaineer is unpredictable.

mountainvalleypete
03-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Cancelled tonight, and it is not looking very good weather-wise for tomorrow. Fingers crossed for Wednesday night racing. Need all the time I can get to rethink my system.

spang99
03-03-2015, 04:40 PM

Exactly this.
The two was a nice fit and was used by me as well. Given the way the bias was playing that horse was a huge overlay.

Looks like we're racing tonight . Hell yes !

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Exactly this.
The two was a nice fit and was used by me as well. Given the way the bias was playing that horse was a huge overlay.

Looks like we're racing tonight . Hell yes !

They'll run 1 race and the "softies" will cancel. Just you watch. :D

ReplayRandall
03-03-2015, 05:32 PM
They'll run 1 race and the "softies" will cancel. Just you watch. :D
SRU, didn't you swear off playing the Mountain forever??

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 05:36 PM
SRU, didn't you swear off playing the Mountain forever??

I don't bet much there except if someone plunks 20k to show on some nag, i might put a few bucks on other runners, but other than that, i'm not looking to play there a heck of a lot although i have seen the "mad bomber" has sort of gone away, there's not too many huge win bets that get cancelled at the last second, so that's good.

lamboguy
03-03-2015, 05:41 PM
there isn't a track that gives the player as much as the mountain. you have guys betting minus show pools chasing the 2.20 that don't have a clue. if you know what you are doing, they will give you 10% on your money. they give you different track bias every night, that gives you a chance because the batch bettors have no clue about track bias. there are plenty of overlays, they give you a decent simulcast show. i really don't know what more you could want out of a race track. i only wish that they went back to the 10 races a day 5 days a week. i could care less about what they want to give away for purses.

spang99
03-03-2015, 06:06 PM
there isn't a track that gives the player as much as the mountain. you have guys betting minus show pools chasing the 2.20 that don't have a clue. if you know what you are doing, they will give you 10% on your money. they give you different track bias every night, that gives you a chance because the batch bettors have no clue about track bias. there are plenty of overlays, they give you a decent simulcast show. i really don't know what more you could want out of a race track. i only wish that they went back to the 10 races a day 5 days a week. i could care less about what they want to give away for purses.

I agree with much that you said there. It's a very interesting track to keep an eye on. I'll usually watch the first couple of sprints before I'll move on something. Expecting a possible sloppy track tonight.

I grew up going to Waterford Park with my dad so I'll always be fond of it. I like their on line presentation too. I think Nancy and Mark are excellent together and I find Mr. Berry to be witty and spot on with his calls. The place just seems to have a unique atmosphere that entertains me.

spang99
03-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Peter says its muddy tonight.....Forget that inside bias, at least for now.....

Lots of short fields from scratches, probably not much going on as far as wagering goes for me.

lamboguy
03-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Peter's favorite words, NO SHOW WAGERING :mad:

lamboguy
03-03-2015, 06:39 PM
i just got the link to the speech from today, i think i am going to watch it instead of the Mountain tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pOs99OZN1g&feature=em-share_video_user

mountainvalleypete
03-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Absolutely shocked they are running. Usually make a Tuesday night trip down for dollar dogs, but was sure they would cancel. 16 scratches so far.

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Absolutely shocked they are running. Usually make a Tuesday night trip down for dollar dogs, but was sure they would cancel. 16 scratches so far.

The odds that they complete the entire card? You could probably get 50-1 in Vegas. :D

tanner12oz
03-03-2015, 06:52 PM
They are on tonight and its a mess just east of there in pittsburgh

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Pools will be big there tonight if they find a way to race, Mtn only game in town, its the only track running as far as i know.

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 06:53 PM
They are on tonight and its a mess just east of there in pittsburgh

Racing thru it is a mindset, just don't be "soft" and you can get thru the card. Phx cancelled today w 65 and sunny, so if you don't have your heart in it, you won't run regardless of weather.

spang99
03-03-2015, 06:56 PM
The trainer of the 3 is pretty damn good on the rebound. Horse probably should have sprinting all along

lamboguy
03-03-2015, 07:03 PM
I-N-S-I-D-E

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 07:06 PM
I-N-S-I-D-E

57.99 that's fast for Mtn.

maclr11
03-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Racing thru it is a mindset, just don't be "soft" and you can get thru the card. Phx cancelled today w 65 and sunny, so if you don't have your heart in it, you won't run regardless of weather.

Phoenix's problem wasn't the weather today it was the rain the days before. The type of sand they use and the track aren't set up to handle crazy amounts of moisture and when it pours there the track gets slippery and dangerous. But if you want them to take the right mindset right to the emergency room, go right ahead.

Phoenix isn't a slots track so it's hard to see how they wouldn't want to run.

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 10:00 PM
What's with the jock on the 3 in the last race, could you look worse on a horse? Geez. When the 1 broke slow the 3 became a 1-5 shot and the guy seemed to not be able to get the horse to the front, he couldn't get around the 2 of all horses. Yikes, that was ugly.

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Phoenix's problem wasn't the weather today it was the rain the days before. The type of sand they use and the track aren't set up to handle crazy amounts of moisture and when it pours there the track gets slippery and dangerous. But if you want them to take the right mindset right to the emergency room, go right ahead.

Phoenix isn't a slots track so it's hard to see how they wouldn't want to run.

I could have sworn i've seen them run on wet tracks before. As far as slots goes, the fact that they are not a slots track would make them want to run, esp since they're a "Warm weather" signal.

Lots of tracks are soft like charmin these days.

spang99
03-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Willie Bags.... Really??

andtheyreoff
03-03-2015, 10:08 PM
I could have sworn i've seen them run on wet tracks before. As far as slots goes, the fact that they are not a slots track would make them want to run, esp since they're a "Warm weather" signal.

It's not about being "soft", it's about not wanting to run on unsafe conditions that could hurt horses and jockeys.

If they had run today, and a horse had broken down and injured a jockey, would you still be applauding them for not being "soft"?

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 10:11 PM
It's not about being "soft", it's about not wanting to run on unsafe conditions that could hurt horses and jockeys.

If they had run today, and a horse had broken down and injured a jockey, would you still be applauding them for not being "soft"?

Only if the breakdown had to specifically do with the track...but many horses who break down are already somehow compromised, so we could really never know if it was a 100 pct sound horse who stepped in a pot hole or a horse who was going to break down the next time he ran on any track.

As far as being soft goes, that's the label you get if you cancel racing in 65 degree weather. Don't want the soft label, find a way to make the track safe and run when you say you're going to run. Pretty simple math.

spang99
03-03-2015, 10:28 PM
What's with the jock on the 3 in the last race, could you look worse on a horse? Geez. When the 1 broke slow the 3 became a 1-5 shot and the guy seemed to not be able to get the horse to the front, he couldn't get around the 2 of all horses. Yikes, that was ugly.

C'mon now.. Willie Baggs looked like a mortal cinch.... LOL :D

Actually, he was the only horse I tossed. Bet the :4: here

Stillriledup
03-03-2015, 10:32 PM
C'mon now.. Willie Baggs looked like a mortal cinch.... LOL :D

Actually, he was the only horse I tossed. Bet the :4: here

If you figured he would be loose on the lead with the other main contender who was far faster on Beyers giving him an easy lead, than he was a cinch! :D

maclr11
03-03-2015, 11:51 PM

There is a difference between wet and slippery and slick. I would bet the rain washed away the banking on the turns.

Jeff P
03-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Turf Paradise cancelling race cards (remainder of races after R4 on Monday March 2nd and the entire card on Tues March 3rd) got me curious as to how much rain had actually fallen in the North Phoenix area - my old stomping grounds.

I spent some time on Google - and the search phrase "North Phoenix rainfall totals by date" eventually led me to the http://www.Weather.NorthPhoenix.org site.

Once there, after poking around for a bit, I managed to dig up a table showing rainfall totals by date for the month of March, 2015 (presumably) for the North Phoenix area.

Link to a screenshot of my browser window:
http://www.JCapper.com/MessageBoard/Avatars/NorthPhoenixWeather.jpg

The table shown in the above screenshot taken from the Weather.NorthPhoenix.org site shows the following:

0.04 inches of rain on Sunday March 1st 2015
0.39 inches of rain on Monday March 2nd 2015
0.03 inches of rain on Tuesday March 3rd 2015

Turf Paradise cancelled the remainder of their Monday March 2nd card after R4.

I can understand that.

That afternoon I was on the phone with a friend of mine who lives in Paradise Valley - near 36th street and Lincoln - a few miles from Turf Paradise. She mentioned it was nasty outside - off and on rain with gusty winds, etc.

But while I was on the phone with her the next day (Tuesday) she mentioned it was nice outside...

So why cancel the entire card on Tuesday March 3rd - the day after the storm?

Is less than 1/2 an inch of rain all it takes to wreck the track surface?

-jp

bello
03-04-2015, 03:15 PM
moved all chute starts to 5.5 furlongs today.

Seems like parts of the track became unsafe and the chts is sti;; a no go. Weird things happen when a track gets rained on for the first time in months.

Stillriledup
03-04-2015, 04:27 PM
moved all chute starts to 5.5 furlongs today.

Seems like parts of the track became unsafe and the chts is sti;; a no go. Weird things happen when a track gets rained on for the first time in months.

Yes, like the turf being firm today. That seems odd for all the massive rain they got that prevented them from racing on a 65 degree clear day.

Stillriledup
03-04-2015, 07:05 PM
I don't bet much there except if someone plunks 20k to show on some nag, i might put a few bucks on other runners, but other than that, i'm not looking to play there a heck of a lot although i have seen the "mad bomber" has sort of gone away, there's not too many huge win bets that get cancelled at the last second, so that's good.

;) :lol:

mountainvalleypete
03-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Racing cancelled tonight due to track conditions.

lamboguy
03-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Racing cancelled tonight due to track conditions.
its to bad because i wanted to stay on Burton Sipp while everyone thinks he can't get a horse ready off a long layoff and everyone is convinced that the horses coming from Youngstown have a big fitness edge.

Yesterday Sipp's horse brought back $56, and should have been something like a 4-1 shot. the horse left the gate and actually went up. this has been the best start for me at the Mountain this century.

mountainvalleypete
03-09-2015, 07:35 PM
its to bad because i wanted to stay on Burton Sipp while everyone thinks he can't get a horse ready off a long layoff and everyone is convinced that the horses coming from Youngstown have a big fitness edge.

Yesterday Sipp's horse brought back $56, and should have been something like a 4-1 shot. the horse left the gate and actually went up. this has been the best start for me at the Mountain this century.

I have noticed every one of his horses finishing strong over the last week. Mark even said during the simulcast show that there were days during the winter where Sipp was the only one out training in the morning.
If I've learned one thing so far this meet, it is that the Mahoning Valley form has meant very little.

duncan04
03-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Trainer Brent Angelle said on Facebook the track super screwed up the track by trying to grade the slop. Also hear the track is closed tomorrow as well. Not sure if it's just for training or if the card is canceled as well.

appistappis
03-10-2015, 02:27 AM
the mountain and mah valley got to get together on their race dates.

lamboguy
03-10-2015, 03:15 AM
Trainer Brent Angelle said on Facebook the track super screwed up the track by trying to grade the slop. Also hear the track is closed tomorrow as well. Not sure if it's just for training or if the card is canceled as well.great info about tonight, it saved me in 2 ways, i was about to study the card and i am going to go out to eat a little later this evening than i had planned . i am going to a new restaurant called Season's 52. the place is supposed to have meals that are all under 500 calories, i like that. i owe you one good buddy.

mountainvalleypete
03-15-2015, 08:41 AM
Some pretty small fields as of late, but do not let that fool you! There are some very good opportunities to make money. Just the other night cashed in on a horse paying $12 to win in a field of 3 betting interests. Last night had a horse that paid $15 to win in a field of 5, and a $46 perfecta in a 4 horse field. Track has changed a lot over the past couple of weeks, so there are plenty of vulnerable favorites who had good efforts over the freeze-dried track opening week.

acorn54
03-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Some pretty small fields as of late, but do not let that fool you! There are some very good opportunities to make money. Just the other night cashed in on a horse paying $12 to win in a field of 3 betting interests. Last night had a horse that paid $15 to win in a field of 5, and a $46 perfecta in a 4 horse field. Track has changed a lot over the past couple of weeks, so there are plenty of vulnerable favorites who had good efforts over the freeze-dried track opening week.

betting into small fields with 15%+ take out plus breakage and showing a profit, i can't do it, but i salute you for your achievement

tanner12oz
03-15-2015, 12:43 PM
From the looks of it right now its going to be cold and windy tonight. Has looked like rain all day but nothing yet.

luisbe
03-15-2015, 03:04 PM

I agree that sometimes it pays off. I got the High 5 last night.

soupman2
03-15-2015, 03:26 PM
My buddy and I go to simulcast, have some cigars every week in what we call "Mountaineer Monday". It is usually a good night because we can focus on handicapping because there is only one flat track going. Been cancelled the last two weeks and we have been killed based on only having friggin' harness to bet. So how does it look for tomorrow (3/16/2015)?

mountainvalleypete
03-15-2015, 03:32 PM
I agree that sometimes it pays off. I got the High 5 last night.

Wow, nicely done! I played the :3: across the board, so I know what a close photo for 3rd that was. The game is played in inches.

mountainvalleypete
03-15-2015, 03:39 PM
My buddy and I go to simulcast, have some cigars every week in what we call "Mountaineer Monday". It is usually a good night because we can focus on handicapping because there is only one flat track going. Been cancelled the last two weeks and we have been killed based on only having friggin' harness to bet. So how does it look for tomorrow (3/16/2015)?

Looking fantastic for tomorrow. 66 with some sun and wind is the forecast for Chester. I think it will be a "good" track at worst, so there shouldn't be too many scratches.

soupman2
03-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

BombsAway Bob
03-15-2015, 06:30 PM

MOUNTAINEER WEATHER:

Sunday Evening
Partly cloudy; rising temps late

Extended Forecast

Monday Hi 65°F, Low 47°F
Afternoon- Warmer,periods of clouds and sunshine
Evening Mostly cloudy,a passing shower late
---------------------------------------------
Tuesday Hi 50°F, Low 21°F
Afternoon- A brief morning shower;breezy & colder.
Evening Clear & much colder

luisbe
03-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Wow, nicely done! I played the :3: across the board, so I know what a close photo for 3rd that was. The game is played in inches.

And I didn't have it for 3rd so I pushed like crazy to that No :2:

Stillriledup
07-01-2015, 09:12 PM
GREAT racecall by Pete In race 2 tonight

WHERE'S THE WIRE LOL

the jock seemed to ease up the "winner" a bit and got caught, Pete announced like he knew a 30 day suspension for misjudging the wire was coming up for that jock so he was essentially pleading w racing gods to spare that rider who was not 100 pct sure where the wire was.

spang99
07-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Anybody know anything about the absence of Bracho over the last week ? He's been my fav rider for a long time and now having his best season ever. I'm just hoping that he didn't take a bad spill or something forcing him to the sidelines.