PDA

View Full Version : Early Prospective Belmont field

cj
05-16-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm surprised so many want to challenge Smarty, but I like it.

From DRF:

Rock Hard Ten and Eddington, who were second and third, respectively, in the Preakness are both bound for the 1 1/2-mile Belmont, according to their trainers.

Others expected to challenge Smarty Jones in the Belmont include the Nick Zito-trained trio of Birdstone, Royal Assault, and The Cliff's Edge, along with Sinister G, Swingforthefences, Tapit, the European colt Relaxed Gesture, and several possible runners exiting this Saturday's Peter Pan Stakes at Belmont, including Friends Lake, Master David, and Mustanfar.

I'll be happy to book any and all Euro bets on Relaxed Gesture! (Just kidding, I don't like prison :eek: )

JPinMaryland
05-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Any speed horses that might be able to get out there and run w/ him for awhile. Was Sir Shakleton supposed to be a speed horse? Hmmm. There seems almost no stopping him.

PaceAdvantage
05-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately for most of the competition, Smarty Jones has THE PERFECT running style for winning the Belmont Stakes.

Bubbles
05-18-2004, 03:00 PM
I see one horse with any shot to derail Smarty's run to glory, and it's Tapit. Bounced over a sloppy strip he did not like in the Derby, and is a prime candidate for a big effort in the Test of the Champions. May come calling in the stretch, and has a shot to be this year's Touch Gold. Big-time late kick to upset a Triple Crown hopeful.

OTM Al
05-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Think the one I may throw in as the possible upset will be Royal Assault. At least he seems to have some up side and hasn't been trounced like the rest of them....yet. Don't know if any of you saw the analysis King Leatherbury did when interviewed by the Pimlico casters before the first race went off. He said as a gambler, he had to bet against Smarty, but he sure couldn't see anyone beating him. He was about the best endorsement you're ever going to get.

cj
05-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Tapit, no way, don't see him at all. I don't see anyone near Smarty the whole trip. Coast to coast, wire to wire, on the engine, whatever you want to call it.

CryingForTheHorses
05-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Hi I do have to agree Smarty is the horse to beat with his staling style. If there was a hrse that were to beat him, Id have to say the Wizard" horse Tapit will run him down, If there isnt a spped horse to stay longer the 3/4 with him then its godbye to the reat of the field.Zito's horses are fresh but not as fit as smarty.All these trainers are looking for something in Smarty,hoping he will falter...hmmmmm wonder if A Jerkens has a surprise entry??

OTM Al
05-18-2004, 03:44 PM
They've put up PPs for the probables at DRF and there is nothing there that looks like it can even come close. The only 3yo this year that I honestly believe could have run with him was Second of June. Hopefully that one will get healthy enough to go again. Tapit won't catch him because he'll be too far behind when he starts to drive. Zito may enter 3 or 4 horses so maybe he'll try to burn Smarty up with one, but If he tries that, he may still be too far out in front to catch, but I figure its the only way they have a chance

BeatTheChalk
05-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Anyone else notice that Nick has been very very low key this
time around ? In his interviews .. he hardly raised his voice..
What a change from " da old days wit Nick " The old " I told
you to bet whatever you want .." I sorta miss those days :)
Smarty is the horse of destiny .. you cant make up his story ..
Doesnt mean he will win ... Belmont can be a very strange
surface at times. Perhaps the Peter Pan will yield a horse that
can run the distance. The horse looked like he was running
very easily at Pimlico.

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Tapit? TAPIT?

When will you guys learn?? LOL ;)

plainolebill
05-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Chew on this for a minute: If The Cliff's Edge runs in the Belmont he will be the only horse in the field that has run faster than Smarty Jones did as a two year old .

JustRalph
05-19-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by plainolebill
Chew on this for a minute: If The Cliff's Edge runs in the Belmont he will be the only horse in the field that has run faster than Smarty Jones did as a two year old .

and what the hell does that mean? how is that relevant?

plainolebill
05-19-2004, 04:22 AM
It means the others are going to need to step it up quite a bit to be in the same class as he is. That enough clarification?

tanda
05-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Tapit is sloooooooooooooooow.