PDA

View Full Version : Earl Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, "Sweetwater" Clifton

Teach
02-27-2015, 11:43 AM
I just read that Earl Lloyd, the former African-American basketball pioneer passed away. I saw Lloyd play basketball with the Syracuse Nats when they played their home games at Syracuse's War Memorial Coliseum. It was players like Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, Don Barksdale and Nat "Sweetwater" Clifton who, over sixty years ago, paved the way for the black NBA stars in today's game.

Speaking of "Sweetwater" Clifton, I was at the old Boston Garden in the early-to-mid 1950s to see a game between the Celtics and Knicks. It was halftime and I went downstars to get a soda (we called it a "tonic" in Bahstan). I no sooner got my drink than I see this open door with steam coming out of it. Being curious, I peered in. It was the New York Knicks locker room. I remember I was carrying my sports autograph book (I took it to all the games).

Well, I see all these huge giants sitting on benches. It was then that "Sweetwater" Clifton (he must have seen my autograph book) says, "Come here, kid." He signs his name and all the other Knicks followed suit. Names like Ray Felix, Carl Braun, Harry Gallatin, Art Baechtold, etc. Everyone but the coach. The only downside was that I brought a pencil instead of a pen.

Just a memory from the past of my basketball sports heroes: Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, Ed McCauley, and later Bill Russell. Oh, and Earl Lloyd and Nat "Sweetwater" Clifton.

Ocala Mike
02-27-2015, 02:03 PM
I go back almost as far as Teach, and remember all those names. I think Sweets Clifton wore no. 8; I know he had a fantastic two-hand set shot.

Back in the mid-50's at the old Madison Square Garden, you could get end arena wooden seats for like $3.00. I once scored a front row seat in that section, and wound up with Bob Pettit in my lap after he got fouled.

cj's dad
02-27-2015, 03:39 PM
The Nats were still in the NBA when the Baltimore Bullets were brought into the league. The one name I remember is Dolph Schays.