PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on unique VIP handicapping contest this saturday 2/28

Neumeier
02-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Hello, this saturday I am in a very unique handicapping contest with a great shot to win (only 20 entrants with a 12.5k prize pool)

Here are the rules

Buyin is $250 voucher (in the form of a card) and the venue adds $100 automatically. So you start with $350. You can make any bet from any track. WPS, Pick 4, Pick 6. Literally anything you want. If you go below $20 you can buy back in for $100 additional.

There are only 20 people in this contest.

1st $5k
2nd $2k
3rd 1k

1.5k pool shared between people with 5k+ at end (6pm)
3k pool shared between people with 10k+

This is all tracked so you can see how everyone stands on a computerized board. It is unlimited rebuys and wondering what the best strategy is. Rebuys are only $100 (not 250) Thanks!

therussmeister
02-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Is there a fixed number of races you must bet, or is it anything goes?

davew
02-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Saturday goes quite a few hours - when is start and end - or what tracks are available for betting? Are you willing to rebuy at all or a few times?

horses4courses
02-25-2015, 08:22 PM
The above posters both ask the key question:
What are the parameters - start to finish?

As far as playing certain tracks and wager types,
you need to play to your strengths.
Which tracks, and wager types, do you usually play?

Unless you feel that your normal style in a contest
such as this would leave you at a disadvantage,
you are best off sticking with what works.

Sounds like a neat contest - best of luck!

Robert Fischer
02-25-2015, 11:05 PM
Hello, this saturday I am in a very unique handicapping contest with a great shot to win (only 20 entrants with a 12.5k prize pool)

Here are the rules

Buyin is $250 voucher (in the form of a card) and the venue adds $100 automatically. So you start with $350. You can make any bet from any track. WPS, Pick 4, Pick 6. Literally anything you want. If you go below $20 you can buy back in for $100 additional.

1st $5k
2nd $2k
3rd 1k

This is all tracked so you can see how everyone stands on a computerized board. It is unlimited rebuys and wondering what the best strategy is. Rebuys are only $100 (not 250) Thanks!

Good luck.

It takes me a lot of thinking to figure out contest strategy and I don't have the energy atm.

I can think of the most conservative way - bet the $350 on a bridgejumper and likely profit about $135 for a $2.20 type of horse for what amounts to a $250 bet.
-that isn't very sporting.

good luck.

Neumeier
02-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Sorry I had phone problems yesterday. The contest starts when the 1st track goes off, so probably around 12:20. All bets must be final by 6pm est. so for instance I can't bet a pick 3 if the 1st leg is at 530. I'd post the rule sheet but not sure how to get a pic up.

It's any track (even greyhounds) and any bet.

I almost want to take a chance and find a good 10-1 shot.

Neumeier
02-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Is there a fixed number of races you must bet, or is it anything goes?

The only requirement is that you MUST bet at least $350 throughout the tournament. Rebuys are unlimited but for only $100. You can't rebuy for $250

Robert Fischer
02-26-2015, 04:38 PM

Here are the rules

1st $5k
2nd $2k
3rd 1k

the most conservative way - bet the $350 on a bridgejumper and likely profit about $135 for a $2.20 type of horse for what amounts to a $250 bet.

another way to go is to consider making a 'target'

Let's say you'd be happy with 3rd place and $1K

Maybe you'd guess $1750 would beat 17/20 people.
So you could parlay your $350 on a just two bets, a 3/2 shot and an even-money shot. =$1750 and you'd have a fair chance at a prize

with a target like that, it matters if you get to keep your winnings as well (1750+1K =2750:ThmbUp: vs. just 3rd place = 1K)
Who knows... with only 20 people, it's even possible that 1750 wins 1st or 2nd prize as well.

or maybe you want to 'target' 5K?
Then a three-bet-parlay with a 3/2, even-money, and 2-1 shot = $5250
(any applicable winnings(5250?) + prize money + share of 1.5K pool)

or if you are allowed to keep any winnings regardless of a prize, another conservative option would be to set aside the $250, find the 50 races with the largest field size and construct 50 $2 wagers of big $ supers and tris. At some point in the action you'd also have to bet $100 on a heavy favorite to show (to churn the full $350).
If all went about normal = you'd go home with $250 and you'd have 50 'lottery tickets'.

Again - I know very little about contests and these are quick ideas. Take this advice with a grain of salt.

Neumeier
02-26-2015, 04:45 PM
I should have included that. Yes you are allowed to keep your winnings as well

Robert Fischer
02-26-2015, 04:50 PM
$100* on a heavy favorite to show (to churn the full $350).

*should say '$250'

davew
02-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Do you know anything about the other handicappers?

Unless these are all very good and experienced, $500 may get you 3rd place.

davew
02-27-2015, 11:50 AM
I guess my strategy would be

hammer one race I like at a large track (with entire $350)
- mostly win/place/exacta
spreading with a goal to double or triple bankroll

If I won, I would sit and watch leaderboard and decide if done or need more.
If I lost, I would consider a rebuy and hammer some trifectas on a later race

I would stay away from multirace - but that is because of my strengths/weaknesses

Your strategy should revolve around what you are used to doing / familiar with in this turny that does not require races/bets except for $350 churn.

Spiderman
02-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Bet $200 on 5-2+, parlay win with another 5-2+, watch leader board and be prepared to bet bankroll, less $150, on any pick of your choosing.

If any part of above parlay sequence misses, start again with $150 balance. With only 20 players in contest, likely that first place may have less than one thousand win total.

Maxximus
02-27-2015, 09:41 PM
What venue is this and why only 20 entrants for a buy-in of only 250 for a prize pool of 12500? This makes no sense at all. The venue is putting up a MINIMUM 9500 dollars for 20 entrants for what gain on their part?

Neumeier
02-28-2015, 03:09 PM
What venue is this and why only 20 entrants for a buy-in of only 250 for a prize pool of 12500? This makes no sense at all. The venue is putting up a MINIMUM 9500 dollars for 20 entrants for what gain on their part?

Winners in Connecticut. The place is crazy. They are owned by Sporttech. Think it's a multi billion $ company. They have much much bigger tournaments. This was just a private one. You can probably look up some tourney results on my winners.com

I used to think the same thing "why do they have these tourneys with zero to gain?"

By the way, I'm out. It ended up only being 1 rebuy.

Stillriledup
02-28-2015, 03:18 PM
I know its too late for today, but i think the general strategy would be in a tourney with only a few people, the idea would be to play as conservatively as possible and just hang around and let others "knock themselves out" playing over their heads. Stay as chalky as possible and hope a handful of the other players bet as if they need to be "heroic" to win this thing......when in reality, all you need to do is not go Tapioca and you can grab a board spot by default.

I like RFs line of thinking here with the show bets and whatnut.

Neumeier
02-28-2015, 03:24 PM
I know its too late for today, but i think the general strategy would be in a tourney with only a few people, the idea would be to play as conservatively as possible and just hang around and let others "knock themselves out" playing over their heads. Stay as chalky as possible and hope a handful of the other players bet as if they need to be "heroic" to win this thing......when in reality, all you need to do is not go Tapioca and you can grab a board spot by default.

I like RFs line of thinking here with the show bets and whatnut.

Unfortunately I had plans today so I took some shots since I really had to leave by 3. All the scratches with GS didn't help.

davew
03-01-2015, 02:42 AM
Did you find out what the top 3 finished with (before $8K prize)?