PDA

View Full Version : Big M not cancelling last weekend.

RaceTrackDaddy
02-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Yonkers cancelled very early in the day for Saturday night while the Big M decided to race. After one race, the card was cancelled.

My question is who made that decision to race Saturday night?

Seems to me, with the weather reports about the snow (at least 3 to 4 inches) before freezing rain would hurt those people that are the show at the Big M. They took out the stables and everyone has to ship in. Lasix for horses that have to use it have to administered and the cost involved in not cancelling is the least of the problems. It put the horsemen, employees and I dare say it, the betting public in jeopardy.

Whoever decided to race (albeit be Jeff Gural or one of his disciples) was in the wrong.

What say ye?

Vinman
02-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Imho there were two things going on that perhaps compelled the Meadowlands to give it a shot and brave the snow Saturday night.....the number of horses that ship in for the card.....note all the trailers parked that you can see as the camera pans during the race. The other factor could be the med not wanting to give up a Saturday night of handle while not having to run against Pocono & Harrah's Philly, which they will be next month. These are two things that Yonkers doesn't have to worry about. They have slots and their new simo deal with France. Med had much more incentive to try to race and wisely cancelled after it became an obvious no go after one snowy race.

Vinman

Stillriledup
02-24-2015, 04:44 AM
They also get the customers in the building, saturday night dinner reservations, food might have gotten wasted had they not served some of it and when the live card cancels, some people that wouldn't have otherwise come, might hang around and get a drink or bet a simo race.

Also, you create the impression amongst the customers that you'll really try to race if at all possible and you won't cancel at the drop of a hat like some other tracks do. If you are a customer and you know they're "men" and aren't afraid of a little bad weather, you're more likely to go to the track if the weather is iffy rather than just assume they'll cancel.

pandy
02-24-2015, 07:45 AM
The forecast in that area was for 1 to 3 inches.

moneyandland
02-24-2015, 10:12 PM
I'd cut them some slack here, they tried to race, now if you're constantly canceling after 1-2 races than someone's not making the right decisions