PDA

View Full Version : Meadows Track Bias today

RaceTrackDaddy
02-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Track Bias, believe that it exists or don't believe, is on display at the Meadows today. Not since 1973 has this track played so slow. Think there was one (1) race to beat the 2:00 minute barrier (Burke's in the first at 1:59:4 coming first up from third on the backside) with one other going in 2:00:1. Seems the bias is closing so the race by Friskie's Angel in race 8 was mighty impressive. I look for her win streak to continue, no matter the track bias.

RaceTrackDaddy
02-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Track condition has changed once again. It was good, then sloppy and now after race 11 where the (# 8) Jessie's Story won from the pocket to be the second sub 2:00 mile, won in 1:59:4.

Lose The Juice
02-23-2015, 06:57 PM
I think that's more in the realm of variant than bias.

RaceTrackDaddy
02-23-2015, 09:33 PM
I think that's more in the realm of variant than bias.

It was a bias created by the sun beating on the surface turning a hard surface to one that was sticky and wet. Then later on, once the temperature declined, the track froze up around race 12 and then front end speed held and the last race of the day went in 1:56:4 (coming first up past the half from 4th on a 1/2 shot). Two races went in 1:59:4, one in 2:00:1 and the rest were similar to races won in the early 70's, ie 2:03, 2:05 and more.

Lose The Juice
02-24-2015, 05:00 PM
But that's a split variant, not a bias.

RaceTrackDaddy
02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
But that's a split variant, not a bias.

I might be wrong but the way I understand a track variant is that a number is assigned to the races run on a certain day that would indicate a track that is faster (lower number) or slower (higher number) than a regular track (norm).

A track bias is the makeup of the track surface that will benefit those that are either front running or hard closing types coming off the pace.

What are your definitions of track variant and track bias??

Lose The Juice
02-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Pretty close to that.

MONEY
02-24-2015, 07:21 PM
I always thought that Track Bias is what made all of the horses that I bet to win come in 2nd, all of the horses that I bet to place finish 3rd and all of the horses that I bet to show finish out of the money.

Stillriledup
02-24-2015, 08:02 PM
I always thought that Track Bias is what made all of the horses that I bet to win come in 2nd, all of the horses that I bet to place finish 3rd and all of the horses that I bet to show finish out of the money.

And don't forget the old bias where if a guy with holes in his shoes starts rooting out loud for your good looking 8-1 shot who's making a move at the top of the lane, you'll also finish 2nd (or nowhere).

Lose The Juice
02-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Bias? Wasn't she the ancient folkie who almost married Dylan and was one of about 3 trillion hippies to cover "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?" :confused:

am1947
02-25-2015, 06:50 AM
Bias? Wasn't she the ancient folkie who almost married Dylan and was one of about 3 trillion hippies to cover "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down?" :confused:

Absolutely :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Sea Biscuit
02-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Track Bias, believe that it exists or don't believe, is on display at the Meadows today. Not since 1973 has this track played so slow. Think there was one (1) race to beat the 2:00 minute barrier (Burke's in the first at 1:59:4 coming first up from third on the backside) with one other going in 2:00:1. Seems the bias is closing so the race by Friskie's Angel in race 8 was mighty impressive. I look for her win streak to continue, no matter the track bias.

RTD; I don't quite agree with you when you say the track bias was favoring the closers that day. On the contrary it was favoring the front runners as no less than 10 races went to the horses sitting 1-2 at the half.

RaceTrackDaddy
02-25-2015, 03:13 PM
RTD; I don't quite agree with you when you say the track bias was favoring the closers that day. On the contrary it was favoring the front runners as no less than 10 races went to the horses sitting 1-2 at the half.
I have been watching this oval since it was a tartan surface (like Astro-turf). When this track is speed favoring, the front end is golden. Not so on this day. Two wire to wire winners (not being headed during the race). 4 horses that had the lead at the half to finish second. Five horses that had the lead to finish 5th or worse (all without a break)

Plus the track switch over from sloppy (when the sun hit the track and melted it making it sticky) to frozen where the front end was the place to be.

Attached is a small chart showing the positions at the half of the top three positions. This may appear to be speed favoring to some, but not to those who know this track and its reputation of the front end holding up.

Lose The Juice
02-25-2015, 06:37 PM
And I'll further muddy the waters by questioning whether there was any bias at all. Yes, a lot of frontrunners lost, but a lot of those losers were longshot outsiders. You also had a bomb speed winner, some pockets, and, yes, some deep closers. Doesn't seem to be a pattern in all that. My 2 cents.