PDA

View Full Version : Belmont "Festival"

Cholly
02-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Tickets for the Belmont go on sale today, and according to the press release,

http://www.belmontstakes.com/story/2015/2/21/tickets-on-sale-for-the-2015-belmont-stakes-racing-festival--starting-monday-february-23/

it is now a “racing festival”; sounds kind of European, doesn’t it? I sense a shift towards increasing the emphasis on revenues generated by non-gambling activities; i.e., luxury seating & dining. NYRA is likely casting a covetous eye towards how CDI has ramped up their non-wagering revenue streams coming out of The Derby weekend, which combined with television rights possibly contribute more profit than CDI’s share of the take-out on wagering.

If CDI can get away with charging $3,500 and up for a seat and a buffet in Louisville, how much should NYRA be able to get in New York City, where serious money abounds? These non-wagering streams would seem to be the low-hanging fruit: NYRA doesn’t have to refund the customer (bettor) 80%, they don’t have to get in a knuckle-skinning brawl with ADW’s, Vegas books, and other off-track bet takers just to keep a third of the 20% that’s left, and they don’t have to give even one thin dime to the horsemen. Every bit of the revenue after expenses goes straight to the bottom line.

Al Gobbi
02-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Churchill will always get around 150,000 people for the Derby and at least 100k for the Oaks.

If the Belmont has a TC on the line maybe you'll get around 100k, but if not then you're looking at around 40-50k in attendance.

joeslovo
02-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Yeah! The K Derby is a rip off compared to the European classics such as The Curragh's Irish Derby; Epsom Derby and L'Arc at Longchamp.
The working man can still afford to attend these great events and have money left over for a bet.

wisconsin
02-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Yeah! The K Derby is a rip off compared to the European classics such as The Curragh's Irish Derby; Epsom Derby and L'Arc at Longchamp.
The working man can still afford to attend these great events and have money left over for a bet.

Just saw Arlington is charging $14 GA for Derby Day (off subject, I know) but Holy Sh*t...

joeslovo
02-23-2015, 04:39 PM
I get your point.
If a person perceives that they are being ripped off;then they are being ripped off.No amount of robotic customer service rhetoric can change that.
People need to feel that they are being treated as a customer.

Cratos
02-23-2015, 05:06 PM
We attended both venues last year, the Ky Derby and the Belmont Stakes; both were good and fun, but if I had to choose I would take the Belmont by the narrowest of "noses" and that is probably me being a "homer."

Al Gobbi
02-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Here's the full listing of admission prices for the major US racing events in 2015

Belmont Stakes Saturday (BEL): $15 ($40 Clubhouse)
Preakness (PIM): $25
KY Oaks (CD): $40 ($35 online/advanced)*
Breeders' Cup Friday (KEE): $40
KY Derby (CD): $60 ($55 online/advanced)*
Breeders' Cup Saturday (KEE): $60

*can purchase advanced Oaks/Derby combined admission package online for $80

Grits
02-23-2015, 08:01 PM
My ticket was bought this morning through Ticketmaster, which as I understand, will be handling all seating.

I'm sorry to say, but this was a nightmare. Nothing but a two hour robotic call. Cut off, dropped, wait, come back. There was no conversation, no customer service, no NYRA employees (as in the past) who assist patrons who've attended the Belmont for years--prior to the public opening of ticket sales. One simply pushes numbers on their key pad this morning, and in weeks to come.

I have ....somewhere in NY tonight.... a $200 ticket + handling + the $6.00 charge for the convenience afforded me of pressing buttons, yet not allowing me to choose the floor, or the section in which I wanted to sit. I was issued 2nd floor Clubhouse, Section O. (I've had E to K sections in the past 12 years.) Also, I have a quite expensive parking pass that I opted for, but I'm accustomed to this .... Whatever when you've already spent $200+. :rolleyes:

I think this was not the best path for a "festival". But yes, it did include Friday's admission. And yes, I have the choice to not go. It is a week, and a long trip--one of packing and driving.

Last year was a hot mess, as we all know the problems attempting to leave the track, get unto the Cross Island, the train, the LIE or anywhere else.

I'd say opening day of ticket sales, is the same as last year's leaving fiasco. Too, I'm not sure that raising the price of my ticket from $120 last year to $200 this year is in my best interest. But, again... I took the bait.

This doesn't garner new fans to the sport. Not at all. People don't always like talking to buttons. At least this one doesn't.

Last week's stay in Manhattan of 5 days with 5 degree temperatures and 25 mph winds was a day at the beach comparatively.

To say the least, I'm disappointed in the manner of ticket sales handling.

Breeders' Cup at Keeneland? Not a chance in hell. I'd still take Belmont.

Cholly
02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
A couple of things I noted about the "newly re-designed Belmont Stakes Racing Festival" (quotes per their press release):

That a "featured, top-tier band will also perform in a special concert for all Belmont guests immediately following the conclusion of Saturday's final race" accomplishes a couple of things. It could help stagger the outflow of the crowd over a longer space of time, maybe alleviating some of the headaches caused by 100,000 people trying to exit simultaneously. It also evidences NYRA wanting to pull on a demographic that is very interested in a social event and perhaps only somewhat interested in a horse racing event.

People buying a reserved seat will automatically get a general admission pass to "July's Stars & Stripes Racing Festival" (another "festival"!). It seems a little cheap that they only get a general admission, but it is a sign that NYRA is determined to make that a significant social event in New York.