PDA

View Full Version : Mariota vs. Winston NFL Draft

Robert Fischer
02-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Who is better?

Who goes #1 in the Draft?

Robert Fischer
02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm honestly not too high on either guy.

Winston looks like a bum to me. I think Winston could have respect in the locker room and be a serviceable backup if properly groomed. It's pretty clear that he will be drafted early and used to sell season tickets and promote a franchise for a few years. He's got a lot of charisma and has good instincts.

Mariota could go either way. Compared to Winston, it's no comparison; he's more intelligent, better vision, and is more athletic. However, compared to good NFL quarterbacks he isn't going to just be entered in the lineup and stretch defenses.
However, there is some potential, where in the right situation he could be Russell Wilson-'esque'. He seems to have the smarts and work-ethic to be a 'system qb'. It's also certainly a risk that he could be mediocre.

Stillriledup
02-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Its incredible to me that Winston is even going to be selected in the first round, he has bust written all over him. He has an "odd" way of moving, running and throwing not to mention he's stupid and if you believe all the stories about him, doesn't seem like a quality person either. Just a headache waiting to happen.

BELMONT 6-6-09
02-22-2015, 07:04 PM
I can't help but think of the facts that the hall of fame QB's are selected in the 3rd 4th and 5th rounds in the majority of cases. All I know is that the Jets will screw up their 6th pick and go for some out of the logic pick LOL

Relwob Owner
02-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Its incredible to me that Winston is even going to be selected in the first round, he has bust written all over him. He has an "odd" way of moving, running and throwing not to mention he's stupid and if you believe all the stories about him, doesn't seem like a quality person either. Just a headache waiting to happen.

Couldn't agree more. I just don't get it. Take all of the off field stuff out of the equation and just look at his stats last year and see how much he regressed. I wouldn't touch him.

Relwob Owner
02-22-2015, 07:16 PM
I can't help but think of the facts that the hall of fame QB's are selected in the 3rd 4th and 5th rounds in the majority of cases. All I know is that the Jets will screw up their 6th pick and go for some out of the logic pick LOL

If the Jets are lucky, Mariota will still be available and Chip Kelly will give away a ton to get the pick
'

BELMONT 6-6-09
02-22-2015, 07:19 PM
You might have something there Rel, as a Jets fan I can only hope.

Stillriledup
02-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Couldn't agree more. I just don't get it. Take all of the off field stuff out of the equation and just look at his stats last year and see how much he regressed. I wouldn't touch him.

If i had the 40th pick and this guy was still available, i would still probably pass.

And the funny thing is that someone is going to take him #1 or #2 (if you believe the Mel Kipers of the world)

BELMONT 6-6-09
02-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Winston has had multiple problems of character in his short college career, WHAT will he do when the money comes!!!!!!!! has to be much worse.

Stillriledup
02-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Winston has had multiple problems of character in his short college career, WHAT will he do when the money comes!!!!!!!! has to be much worse.

If you're drafting him in the top 2 or the top 5, you're (the drafting team) essentially saying that the odds are slim that he's going to be anything but a model citizen and not the other way around.

Now, he's not a 100 pct sure thing to screw up off the field, but if youre drafting him high, you need it to be less than 5 percent.....and i'm not sure that's something you can be pretty sure of.

Seems like a bad gamble...he's not "great enough" to take that chance, the bad outweighs (pardon the pun) the good.

BELMONT 6-6-09
02-22-2015, 08:53 PM
I agree the perceived talent advantage is out weighed by the downside imo.

Robert Fischer
02-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Even if he was a reliable guy off the field, I wouldn't want him as a franchise QB.

NFL COMPARISON?

Sorry if this stands for no fun league (there are articles actually comparing him to 'Big Ben'), but do you remember Shaun King? Winston kind of reminds me of a bigger, taller, more charismatic Shaun King.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjgw/z/zREAAOxy63FS86ok/$_35.JPG
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/s-king.jpg

Stillriledup
03-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Because that's what i want in a Number one Pick....i guy who won't show up at the draft because he doesn't want to get boo'd.

#booJameisAnyway

MutuelClerk
03-16-2015, 04:44 PM
I'll take Hundley......

burnsy
03-16-2015, 04:56 PM
If the Jets are lucky, Mariota will still be available and Chip Kelly will give away a ton to get the pick
'

No, they are busy giving Tim Tebow a workout.. :lol: ..I thought Bradford was their man?.........

pandy
03-17-2015, 02:06 PM
'

I'm a Jets fan and that's what I'm hoping for. To me, Mariota looks like a better runner than passer.

Stillriledup
03-17-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm a Jets fan and that's what I'm hoping for. To me, Mariota looks like a better runner than passer.

Eagles are desperate for Mariota, every move they make is "Angling" for a draft day trade to get that guy.

Relwob Owner
03-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Eagles are desperate for Mariota, every move they make is "Angling" for a draft day trade to get that guy.

I dunno....giving away a second rounder and a decent QB for Bradford doesn't seem to add up unless Bradford is wanted to by the team they trade up with in order to get the pick. What Kelly did with the Eagles backfield makes absolutely no sense to me talent wise and spending wise either. I think he is in the process of outsmarting himself but only time will tell.

Relwob Owner
03-17-2015, 07:51 PM
No, they are busy giving Tim Tebow a workout.. :lol: ..I thought Bradford was their man?.........

Yep, makes little sense.......

JustRalph
03-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Hints on Twitter that Tebow tried out for "multiple positions" what the hell does that mean?

Relwob Owner
03-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Hints on Twitter that Tebow tried out for "multiple positions" what the hell does that mean?

Seems like something that would come from a Chip Kelly driven source....

Stillriledup
03-17-2015, 10:52 PM
I dunno....giving away a second rounder and a decent QB for Bradford doesn't seem to add up unless Bradford is wanted to by the team they trade up with in order to get the pick. What Kelly did with the Eagles backfield makes absolutely no sense to me talent wise and spending wise either. I think he is in the process of outsmarting himself but only time will tell.

If the team who might trade you the pick knows you have no QB and have to have Mariota, they will ask the moon. If they know you would *like* Mariota but don't need him, you don't have to sell the farm. Its a good idea to upgrade the position you seek so you have leverage in negotiations...the Yankees did this before they signed Mark Teixeira, they acquired a first baseman to help with their leverage.

Stillriledup
03-17-2015, 10:53 PM

Means he goes both ways. :eek:

Relwob Owner
03-17-2015, 11:15 PM
If the team who might trade you the pick knows you have no QB and have to have Mariota, they will ask the moon. If they know you would *like* Mariota but don't need him, you don't have to sell the farm. Its a good idea to upgrade the position you seek so you have leverage in negotiations...the Yankees did this before they signed Mark Teixeira, they acquired a first baseman to help with their leverage.

I think your concept makes sense overall but the facts show that theory makes no sense in this situation. They already had Foles at the time, who had started and done well before and had locked up Sanchez as insurance, so they were far from having to worry about having "no QB" at the time and losing leverage as you say.

In addition, they traded for Bradford, who makes 13M(about 11.5 more than Foles). You don't give up a second rounder and take on 12M more in salary just to gain a little negotiating leverage.

Relwob Owner
03-17-2015, 11:16 PM

I think he has toyed around with playing running back and H-Back/Tight End before so they could have been referring to that.