PDA

View Full Version : Describe the biggest degenerate at your track

Neumeier
02-18-2015, 08:28 AM
We all have the guy at our local track that has zero shame. Will ask people to "borrow" money and God knows what else.

At the track I go to there is a guy that will hover around and wait to hear people hit big and literally follow then to the window and ask for a few bucks. No idea how he's not kicked out.

The craziest thing he does is he picks up every single ticket off the ground. He literally has a giant black plastic trashbag. He looks up every result on the computer hoping someone threw away a winner. Must take hours. I've asked him why he doesn't just check them in the machine. He said he got kicked out of one track for doing this. I asked him what the biggest winning ticket he found and he said, "someone had $200 across the board on a horse and he was scratched. It was a free $600"

therussmeister
02-18-2015, 12:56 PM
We all have the guy at our local track that has zero shame. Will ask people to "borrow" money and God knows what else.

At the track I go to there is a guy that will hover around and wait to hear people hit big and literally follow then to the window and ask for a few bucks. No idea how he's not kicked out.

The craziest thing he does is he picks up every single ticket off the ground. He literally has a giant black plastic trashbag. He looks up every result on the computer hoping someone threw away a winner. Must take hours. I've asked him why he doesn't just check them in the machine. He said he got kicked out of one track for doing this. I asked him what the biggest winning ticket he found and he said, "someone had $200 across the board on a horse and he was scratched. It was a free $600"
No, it wasn't.

onefast99
02-18-2015, 01:30 PM
I'm glad he found my ticket at least it went to a good cause!

1st time lasix
02-18-2015, 01:36 PM
We have a miserable broken down in-debt busted lawyer....a true degenerate that insults others all the time. He is there every day. What a angry slob! I would feel sorry for him ...but he picks on people. Would rather punch his lights out....but he would probably sue me.

thaskalos
02-18-2015, 02:03 PM
There is a lawyer who often sits next to me at our local OTB. I hear him talking to his secretary on his cell phone throughout the day...giving her all kinds of excuses to relay to his clients for the appointments that he obviously misses.

Boy, am I glad he is not MY lawyer...

JimG
02-18-2015, 02:27 PM
There is a lawyer who often sits next to me at our local OTB. I hear him talking to his secretary on his cell phone throughout the day...giving her all kinds of excuses to relay to his clients for the appointments that he obviously misses.

Boy, am I glad he is not MY lawyer...

Why? You guys could do your business right there at the otb.

Ocala Mike
02-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Way back in time, there was a dissheveled (I know, right - who wasn't?) guy that was at Yonkers and Roosevelt just about every night who would watch every race at the same pole-mounted tv monitor and launch into a tirade of the vilest profanity for the whole 2 minutes plus of every race.

Oddly enough, he was simply known as "The Curser."

TucsonGreyhound
02-18-2015, 03:08 PM
A true degenerate hitchhiked or rode his bike to the track and either hopped a fence or snuck in an employee entrance to get in for free.

Has the same shabby clothes on from the day before, usually hasn't showered in a few days.

Didn't buy a DRF or a program since he can use that $2 on a show bet.

Paces around frantically keeping an eye on every monitor in the place, usually has action on every track being simo'd.

Has the shakes from his bender from the night before and can't afford a drink until his first winner.

Always waits until the horses or dogs are loading before charging up and cutting in line screaming at the teller to sneak in his $.10 super bet for a total of $.50. Never has his #s ready or written down, either plays the same #s every race or is looking at the monitor while at the window to decide on his plays.

The teller usually has to inform him the $.50 bet he wants is below the minimum, or that one of his #'s is scratched. By the time he fixes his runners and has a proper wager the bell has sounded. Much screaming and berating ensues until he finds another track that is showing O MTP.

dirty moose
02-18-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm no one to judge degenerates. But this video always makes me laugh and sound like someone you guys are describing. There's also a part 2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iceoslId7lE&sns=em

classhandicapper
02-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Way back in time, there was a dissheveled (I know, right - who wasn't?) guy that was at Yonkers and Roosevelt just about every night who would watch every race at the same pole-mounted tv monitor and launch into a tirade of the vilest profanity for the whole 2 minutes plus of every race.

Was that in the late 70s or early 80s?

I vaguely remember a guy like that from that time period.

whodoyoulike
02-18-2015, 06:43 PM

Every track or OTB I've been at there's been someone or several who acts the same almost every race.

Neumeier
02-18-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm no one to judge degenerates. But this video always makes me laugh and sound like someone you guys are describing. There's also a part 2...

That's great LOL

thespaah
02-18-2015, 07:46 PM

There was a guy at the Meadowlands just like that....In the colder months he always wore a brown coat. He had those thick black framed eye glasses and yes.....he had tape in the center holding them together. He always wore what I call "janitor shoes"...Those black shoes with the thick soles. And white socks.
I could tell this guy worked because he always had money...
Anyway, this was the most angry horseplayer I had ever encountered. If he won, he was stony silent.
If he lost, he would launch into a tirade of obscenities. But he was not loud.
Always could be found on the apron on the grandstand side.
Now...For degenerates.....
There was this guy who I swear to God followed me to both Belmont and Aqueduct. He would pick up cigarette butts and relight them.
One time I went to the rest room and there he was...he yells "gimme a cigarette for myself!".....
I reached into my pocket and pulled out a fistful of change and tossed it to him. The coins were scattered all over.
The point was to keep him off my back and occupied for the next 20 minutes scooping up the change....

thespaah
02-18-2015, 07:51 PM
A true degenerate hitchhiked or rode his bike to the track and either hopped a fence or snuck in an employee entrance to get in for free.

Has the same shabby clothes on from the day before, usually hasn't showered in a few days.

Didn't buy a DRF or a program since he can use that $2 on a show bet.

Paces around frantically keeping an eye on every monitor in the place, usually has action on every track being simo'd.

Has the shakes from his bender from the night before and can't afford a drink until his first winner.

Always waits until the horses or dogs are loading before charging up and cutting in line screaming at the teller to sneak in his $.10 super bet for a total of $.50. Never has his #s ready or written down, either plays the same #s every race or is looking at the monitor while at the window to decide on his plays.

The teller usually has to inform him the $.50 bet he wants is below the minimum, or that one of his #'s is scratched. By the time he fixes his runners and has a proper wager the bell has sounded. Much screaming and berating ensues until he finds another track that is showing O MTP.
Hey wait a minute....I rode my bike to the track. Sneaked into the Meadowlands when I was a kid.
In my late teens, I used to ride from my job at an RV park in Lake George down to Saratoga..
It was about 20 miles. I was an avid cyclist back then.. I could make it in about 45 minutes.

thespaah
02-18-2015, 07:54 PM

Tremendous...

MJC922
02-18-2015, 08:24 PM
I remember a couple of poor degenerates who never bothered trying to get to the track, they were strictly OTB players. A couple of older guys in their late 70s with this really beat up car that for a long time was on its last legs. This was at the East Rochester OTB, and these guys would hang out together all day, every day in the smoking room. When they came out of the room to look at the form they stank like a carton of cigarettes dipped in urine. $1 tri, $1 ex. I mean they maybe put a few bucks a day through the windows. They were ok, I mean no cursing as far as that goes.

So one day finally the car gave out. That was the end of the commute but not their 'horseplay'. If you know East Rochester OTB railroad tracks are right behind there, and alongside the tracks the usual trees / weeds / brush, trash etc. With the car dead they took to sleeping back in those weeds. As soon as OTB would open in the morning they'd get up and stroll in with dirty plaid suits and rumpled hats. I'm like WTF. Totally unwashed. Damn that was rock bottom.

whodoyoulike
02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
There was a guy at the Meadowlands just like that....In the colder months he always wore a brown coat. He had those thick black framed eye glasses and yes.....he had tape in the center holding them together. He always wore what I call "janitor shoes"...Those black shoes with the thick soles. And white socks.
Anyway, this was the most angry horseplayer I had ever encountered. If he won, he was stony silent.
Now...For degenerates.....
There was this guy who I swear to God followed me to both Belmont and Aqueduct. He would pick up cigarette butts and relight them.
One time I went to the rest room and there he was...he yells "gimme a cigarette for myself!".....
I reached into my pocket and pulled out a fistful of change and tossed it to him. The coins were scattered all over.
The point was to keep him off my back and occupied for the next 20 minutes scooping up the change....

Why did you need to keep him away for 20 minutes? I mean you were at a race track for god's sake!! Come on, who can hover for 20 minutes?

Saratoga_Mike
02-18-2015, 08:35 PM
In my late teens, I used to ride from my job at an RV park in Lake George down to Saratoga..
It was about 20 miles. I was an avid cyclist back then.. I could make it in about 45 minutes.

Route 9? That had to be a dangerous ride most of the way, especially from Moreau southward. I'm surprised you didn't stop off at the old Glens Falls OTB instead.

affirmedny
02-18-2015, 09:26 PM

Saw him many times, his rant was usually about O'Donnell and Campbell being engaged in a homosexual act.

dirty moose
02-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqe878_2JRU

Racey
02-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Part 2 is even better :)

Stillriledup
02-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqe878_2JRU

:lol:

Quick, someone call Mastercard! *Priceless*

thespaah
02-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Why did you need to keep him away for 20 minutes? I mean you were at a race track for god's sake!! Come on, who can hover for 20 minutes?
For the next poor bastards that had the unfortunate timing to enter the same rest room.....
And as I had said earlier,this was not thje first time I saw this guy.
He had a propensity to follow and hassle people until they got mad and told him to bugger off.
The scattering of coins was a way to divert his attention...
Having worked in lower Manhattan I became aware of how these people ran their game. They would follow a person and keep bothering them until they either entered a building, or gave in and handed the homeless guy money.

thespaah
02-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Route 9? That had to be a dangerous ride most of the way, especially from Moreau southward. I'm surprised you didn't stop off at the old Glens Falls OTB instead.
Yep...Rte 9....It has shoulders. Not much traffic either. Everybody is on the Northway.
Ya know that OTB is gone now.
They closed it after the 2013 Belmont fall meet.
They set it up across South St in a smaller space. Plus there is a tavern next door that had gotten approval for three self serve betting machines.
Anyway, the ride was pretty easy. The terrain flat.
I didn't like OTB's....I wanted to be at the track...Remember, I was a kid. The track was where we could be found on most of our days off from work..Great times.

thespaah
02-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Saw him many times, his rant was usually about O'Donnell and Campbell being engaged in a homosexual act.
No way!!!! You're pulling my leg....Are you serious?
I never really got close enough to hear exactly what he was griping about. The only thing I knew was he was a prolific use of colorful metaphors.....I'm pretty sure most were directed at Campbell and O'Donnell.

mountainman
02-19-2015, 12:31 AM
I once knew a guy called 'dependable danny.' Talked fast, huge nose, Italian. One of those guys who liked to play 'big gambler' and flash $500 win bets-but ALWAYS on huge favorites, mortal locks that he'd taken a consensus on from every decent handicapper at the track.

Word was, despite all his distasteful bravado, danny was a lethal nth degree blackbelt who had fought several times on the old wide world of sports. And I can attest that the guy got him some hot chicks.

The sexiest was a much younger brunette named bonnie, who seemed more than comfortable keeping her cool and weathering the explosive danny's frequent tuff-beat rants. Even when he somehow blamed her for his misfortune, which was often the case.

When he was winning, however, she got treated like a princess, entrusted with holding big money, and was occasionally instructed to go hide with the winnings and thus save her degenerate boyfriend from himself.

Those were her orders when once during a rare winning streak Danny crowed about keeping a mere hundred bucks to play with and sending Bonny back to their motel room with 2k in chalk winnings. "I told her do NOT give me one dime of it back, or even open the door for me until the races are over. No matter how much I might beg." "And besides," danny continued, "I'm gona make this c-note last."

Of course he did-for one whole race, after which he went sprinting to his car like Carl Lewis.Three races later (all won by prohibitive chalks), danny comes stomping back into the grandstand with a dejected-looking bonnie several paces behind. "See what you did to me, you no good beotch, ? " danny berated her. "I LOVED those winners, but instead of being here to bet 'em, you make me chase your azz and end up kicking the door down. I really hope your happy about running off with MY f..ing money!"

"And stop your sniveling. I barely hit you, and it was an open hand. And you better keep that waitress job, because YOUR azz is paying for the door you made me kick down. Now go down and bet the 2k on the 3
to win. This horse is a cinch and 2/5 is a great price!"

"You bet, lover," sexy bonnie replied with cheerful enthusiasm. When the horse ran out, danny dragged her out the door by the hair. Literally.

thaskalos
02-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Freakin Italians...

thaskalos
02-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Greece's neighbors all these years...and our manners STILL haven't rubbed off on them.

mountainman
02-19-2015, 12:41 AM
Freakin Italians...

Sympathy for her never so much as crossed my mind, gus. You had to know them. He was her man, and she treated the rest of us like insects.

thaskalos
02-19-2015, 12:47 AM
Sympathy for her never so much as crossed my mind, gus. You had to know them. He was her man and she treated the rest of us like insects.

Women are harder to figure out than the horses, Mark. That's why I spurn all the advice that friends give me to get married again. What are my chances of meeting two sane ones in one lifetime. :)

Ocala Mike
02-19-2015, 09:17 AM

I worked at the tracks (NYRA and Yonkers/Roosevelt) for NY State, 1977-1991, so yes. Want to say it was probably exactly 1980 because that year I worked almost exclusively at the trotters because our regular guy was on sick leave.

Some real characters encountered in those days, especially at Yonkers, which was much seedier than RR.

DJofSD
02-19-2015, 10:46 AM

From 1991.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-04/local/me-358_1_hollywood-park-racetrack

NEWPORT BEACH — No suspects have been identified in the shooting death of a Newport Beach man who was gunned down during an apparent robbery in Los Angeles after winning $88,000 at Hollywood Park racetrack, police said Monday.

Braggarts and loud mouths create their own problems.

It's close to 25 years ago, so, the details are fuzzy. However, as I recall, I heard about this incident from a betting partner when he told me about it and then told me who it was -- one of the most obnoxious and loud patrons we had the unfortunate experience of having to put up with while at the OTW location. I did not know Robert, however, we never did see the person ever again so I concluded they were one in the same. Despite the claims in the article, if it was the same person, he definitely was a braggart.

An additional detail or two about the murder. He and a buddy were going to celebrate the score with a trip to Las Vegas. They had left the track and were literally on their way to LAX to catch a plane to sin city. The speculation in other newspaper articles (San Diego Union?) was they were followed to the LAX area parking lot by the killer from the lot at Hollywood Park.

1st time lasix
02-19-2015, 11:09 AM
1} the guy who screams at the monitor for the horse in front to get hurt...or die.....so his $2 bet cashes. 2} the big mouth who blurts out every single thought in his head and expects everyone around him to follow his less than 5 second comprehensive handicapping. 3} the degenerate who feels the need to loudly announce the race himself ....or scream that the "race is over" in the first turn. 4}The stooper who desperately needs a shower- that hangs around with that creepy look hoping to steal your form or sign a ticket. 5} the cajun drunk that is so loud yelling at his poor waitress you have to change your seats or leave the joint. :faint:

Saratoga_Mike
02-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Yep...Rte 9....It has shoulders. Not much traffic either. Everybody is on the Northway.
Ya know that OTB is gone now.
They closed it after the 2013 Belmont fall meet.
They set it up across South St in a smaller space. Plus there is a tavern next door that had gotten approval for three self serve betting machines.
Anyway, the ride was pretty easy. The terrain flat.
I didn't like OTB's....I wanted to be at the track...Remember, I was a kid. The track was where we could be found on most of our days off from work..Great times.

I'm from the area - you were nuts riding a bike from Lake George to Saratoga on Route 9, from south of the Moreau Lake exit to Saratoga is hilly at least for a couple miles. But you lived to tell your story, so that's all that counts. Yes, the GF OTB was really crappy (I haven't been to the new one--looks like the old Hudson Falls one). Years ago, the Daily Double (bar next to the old OTB) would book bets and pay track PLUS 5% (this is when the OTB was paying 90 or 95% of track payout).

thespaah
02-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Women are harder to figure out than the horses, Mark. That's why I spurn all the advice that friends give me to get married again. What are my chances of meeting two sane ones in one lifetime. :)
About as good as hitting Power Ball

thespaah
02-20-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm from the area - you were nuts riding a bike from Lake George to Saratoga on Route 9, from south of the Moreau Lake exit to Saratoga is hilly at least for a couple miles. But you lived to tell your story, so that's all that counts. Yes, the GF OTB was really crappy (I haven't been to the new one--looks like the old Hudson Falls one). Years ago, the Daily Double (bar next to the old OTB) would book bets and pay track PLUS 5% (this is when the OTB was paying 90 or 95% of track payout).
Daily Double is still there. It's full of degenerates. The City has been trying to close it down for some time.
One such troublesome bar "Hot Shots" had a fire last year. The owner wanted to reopen. The city persuaded the owner of the building to sell.
One down.
Yeah, when one is a younger person, they think they are indestructible. That's why I made the trek on two wheels.
Heck I had a loop that ran down to Saratoga, then back up NY 9N to Corinth, over to Glens Falls on Corinth Rd /Broad St then up Rte 9 back to the RV Park....Took most of the day. Had a few close calls. No worries. Great workout....
The New OTB is pretty small. That's by design, I'm told. There were bums and other pains in the (rear) that hung out at the OTB...The smaller place keeps them away. The bar that has the betting machines next door( Irish Pub) won't let them hang out in there unless they are paying patrons. So the new setup eliminates a problem.

Ocala Mike
02-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Heck I had a loop that ran down to Saratoga, then back up NY 9N to Corinth

When I worked the Saratoga meet, I used to stay in Bolton Landing, some 45 miles away on Lake George. Many times I would take the "scenic route" home from the track via 9N instead of taking the Northway.

Beautiful scenery but incredibly hilly and winding; can't imagine doing it on a bike, so more power to you.

Fwizard
02-21-2015, 09:49 AM
We used to have a guy that never used a program/form but would run to the window at post time for every track available...he lost constantly screaming at the screens and turning red in the face.

One day , I guess his money ran out, so he borrowed $1000 from one of the bigger bettors at the track and "signed" over his truck as collateral ...he loses every bit of the money in 30 minutes or so...he tells the guy he borrowed from "f@ck it here are my keys"..proceeds to go in the men's bathroom pulls out a hunting knife and tells everyone he is going to slice his own throat...

The police take him away to funny farm and ban him from the track for one year...Guess who was back a year later..

thespaah
02-21-2015, 12:42 PM
When I worked the Saratoga meet, I used to stay in Bolton Landing, some 45 miles away on Lake George. Many times I would take the "scenic route" home from the track via 9N instead of taking the Northway.

Beautiful scenery but incredibly hilly and winding; can't imagine doing it on a bike, so more power to you.
Yeah...It was a bit dicey at times...Cars passing by pretty close. Most people gave me room.
Never went up the lake past LG Village.
I rode in competitions down in NJ with a club for one summer.
And no, I did not wear the spandex and all that other stuff.
What did you do at the track?

BettinBilly
02-21-2015, 12:47 PM

Yea, I've seen that before. Nice. How many times can someone use the word CxxkSucxxr in one tirade? I lost count. Guys like that make the Track a nice place to take the family on a Saturday. ;)

When I used to hang around Beulah, surprisingly, there really were not too many guys like this. In the clubhouse, most of us regulars were serious Horseplayers and actually watched our language... and bathed and groomed.

Stoleitbreezing
02-21-2015, 01:55 PM
1} the guy who screams at the monitor for the horse in front to get hurt...or die.....so his $2 bet cashes. 2} the big mouth who blurts out every single thought in his head and expects everyone around him to follow his less than 5 second comprehensive handicapping. 3} the degenerate who feels the need to loudly announce the race himself ....or scream that the "race is over" in the first turn. 4}The stooper who desperately needs a shower- that hangs around with that creepy look hoping to steal your form or sign a ticket. 5} the cajun drunk that is so loud yelling at his poor waitress you have to change your seats or leave the joint. :faint:

Speaking of pet peeves or degens. What about the guy who screams all the numbers each race no matter what happens in the stretch. i.e: "Come on :5:, :6: stay like this" Then the :8: comes out of know where to run over his numbers he was shouting about 5 seconds earlier "Get up :8: stay like that :8: :5: :6: thats me!" lol

Very annoying to hear that every race.

Ocala Mike
02-21-2015, 02:53 PM
What did you do at the track?

From 1977 until the unit got disbanded in 1991, I worked for the State of NY as a field pari-mutuel tax auditor. Hit almost every flat and harness track in the state in my duties, with the plum assignment being the (then) 4 weeks at Saratoga on expenses! I stayed on the cheap in a friend's dilapidated cabin right on 9N about 3 miles N. of Bolton Landing throughtout the 80's.

affirmedny
02-21-2015, 03:22 PM
No way!!!! You're pulling my leg....Are you serious?
I never really got close enough to hear exactly what he was griping about. The only thing I knew was he was a prolific use of colorful metaphors.....I'm pretty sure most were directed at Campbell and O'Donnell.

Not pulling your leg, he was the first guy I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. You described him to a T. Also was a redheaded guy who used to curse like a sailor when he lost and another guy always in jogging suit pants that used to come with his mother that used to scream "hit him right handed, hit him left handed, change leads!!" at the top of his lungs. But NOBODY as bad as the nut with the glasses.

Donttellmeshowme
02-22-2015, 09:45 AM

Might be the quote of the year and how true it is.

"Women are harder to figure out than horses"

whodoyoulike
02-22-2015, 06:25 PM
"Describe the biggest degenerate at your track"...

We all have the guy at our local track ...

Well, I'm about 6' 2", once had dark hair, weigh about ....

thespaah
02-23-2015, 12:24 AM

I know where Bolton is....I've played The Sagamore golf Course many times..
Oh, off in the distance from Bolton Landing is Dome Island. On the eastern shore opposite Dome Island are some pretty steep cliffs.
We went there a few times for a little cliff diving....30 feet up....300 down. Or so it seemed.
So you see, I was a bit of a knuckle head in my late teens

thespaah
02-23-2015, 12:33 AM
Not pulling your leg, he was the first guy I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. You described him to a T. Also was a redheaded guy who used to curse like a sailor when he lost and another guy always in jogging suit pants that used to come with his mother that used to scream "hit him right handed, hit him left handed, change leads!!" at the top of his lungs. But NOBODY as bad as the nut with the glasses.
Jeez...How small world is THAT!!!!.
Through the 80's I was at Meadowlands almost every Saturday night during the harness meet. And I have the programs to prove it...
Actually, I tossed many of them or used them as packing material in one of my moves....But I kept the ones from the major races.
The weekday visits were when the real characters would stand out.
Yonkers was a different animal....All kinds of miscreants at that place.
If you ventured over there, we saw the same ones.
Yonkers and Roosevelt were our harness fix when meadowlands harness was over...
I still cannot believe there is someone on here who remembers " the cursing guy"....My wife is going to flip when she hears this blast from the past

Ocala Mike
02-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Yonkers was a different animal....All kinds of miscreants at that place.
If you ventured over there, we saw the same ones.
Yonkers and Roosevelt were our harness fix when meadowlands harness was over...
I still cannot believe there is someone on here who remembers " the cursing guy"....My wife is going to flip when she hears this blast from the past

Yeah, I'm 73 years old now and at this game for 55 of them. Left NY for the Sunshine State for good in 1995. "The curser" was legendary in the annals of NY harness track history, I guess.