PDA

View Full Version : TVG buys HRTV

tanner12oz
02-18-2015, 06:14 AM
Breaking this am...not sure if it helps or hurts the game

http://www.rttnews.com/2457978/betfair-s-tvg-buys-hrtv-quick-facts.aspx

Stillriledup
02-18-2015, 06:24 AM
I think it helps people who don't want to have 2 satellite dishes on their roof and only get TVG with DirecTV...now "we" can see more tracks...so, that's good news i think.

lamboguy
02-18-2015, 06:34 AM
this one is very interesting because i am sure that Xpressbet is very profitable for Stronach and TVG is in the ADW business as well, i suppose that TVG is going to have to support both.

it leaves Twinspires in a very precarious situation. they seem like they are going to be the odd man out, Churchill Downs has not been shown on TVG for years now.

i also wonder how many of the former TVG personalities that jumped ship will have a job with TVG now.

pandy
02-18-2015, 07:21 AM
I wonder if HRTV will go off the air? I would think it would be more profitable to just show as many races as possible with the new tracks and the tracks they already have on one channel.

AlBundy33
02-18-2015, 07:29 AM
Maybe they can have one channel dedicated to just showing races and the other for listening to each other talk.

In all seriousness, I wish it was the other way around.

JimG
02-18-2015, 07:31 AM
As a cable cord cutter, I sure hope they do not pull the hrtv online streaming. Although, if I had to bet, I would say they will.

Jim

Tom
02-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Very bad news.

SandyW
02-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Both TVG And HRTV will still operate as two different channels, just now they will have the same owner.

grimm7
02-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Both TVG And HRTV will still operate as two different channels, just now they will have the same owner.
Just read that 20 employees of HRTV are being let go. I like to know for sure if both channels will be show?

The Hawk
02-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Just read that 20 employees of HRTV are being let go. I like to know for sure if both channels will be show?

Where did you see that?

olddaddy
02-18-2015, 09:07 AM
I cant see them financing two stations to do the same thing. Now if they can somehow coordinate post times at the major tracks so more races can be broadcast live.

upthecreek
02-18-2015, 09:12 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/tvg-the-stronach-group-join-forces-to-televise-horse-racing/

The Hawk
02-18-2015, 09:14 AM
From reading the stories (and between the lines in them) it seems to me that TVG will show ALL of the "major" tracks, and relegate the mid-level tracks to HRTV. What do you guys think?

Breon Corcoran, chief executive officer of Betfair, said: “This deal strengthens TVG's position as a significant player in the US horseracing industry, bringing together the US' leading racetracks under a single TV network for the first time.

“The enlarged TVG operation will now show the most exciting racing action globally whilst offering a world-class betting experience.

http://www.igamingbusiness.com/news/betfair-subsidiary-tvg-acquires-hrtv-network

Shelby
02-18-2015, 09:16 AM
Wow. I didn't see this coming. If I am able to see CD and GP (along with the usual tracks) on TVG I will be extremely satisfied.

lamboguy
02-18-2015, 09:20 AM
everything goes in cycles, horse racing in the United States looks like its at the lowpoint of the cycle now. they just bought this deal real cheap and have a good chance to really do some good.

it would be nice if they put the second channel on cable instead of having to pay for dish network.

grimm7
02-18-2015, 09:26 AM
My mistake. Someone posted an article on facebook from 2011. Still would like to know if both channels will be shown?

GaryG
02-18-2015, 09:31 AM
everything goes in cycles, horse racing in the United States looks like its at the lowpoint of the cycle now.I hope that this is a low point in the cycle, but it looks like a downward spiral to me. If I were a young man there is no way I would get involved in racing. Although looking back I can't imagine my life without it.

Some_One
02-18-2015, 09:43 AM
HRTV has the access to Magna tracks that Betfair doesn't currently provide nor is broadcast in Europe, but aside from SA (which Betfair doesn't want to offer until their Cali application is settled), not sure if GP and Maryland are enough of a reason to do this.

horses4courses
02-18-2015, 09:58 AM
It's hard to imagine Frank Stronach co-operating with TVG,
even after a buyout. They may get the rights to the Magna tracks
for a while, but there could be trouble down the road.

One top class racing channel with all the major tracks, plus a few minor ones,
would be an ideal situation. Two channels in competition had to be
having a hard time showing a profit. Still, it's hard to see them all coming
together as one big happy family.

We'll see what happens, but it's hard to see the horse player
getting a good deal out of this. :ThmbDown:

davew
02-18-2015, 10:05 AM
I cant see them financing two stations to do the same thing. Now if they can somehow coordinate post times at the major tracks so more races can be broadcast live.

Then why would you buy your only real competitor?
to charge more for advertisements?

Wiley
02-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Per the Paulick report article, by eliminating overlap in races broadcast, they will be able to show 5000 more live races per year. If this actually happens it will be a good thing, but hard to say if this will actually occur.

For someone like me though, I can only get HRTV through my cable service, and if they are the designated minor league track broadcaster, this will be a big negative for me. I guess the idea is to force everyone to get both channels now if you want the broadest range of races shown.

BombsAway Bob
02-18-2015, 10:59 AM
Per the Paulick report article, by eliminating overlap in races broadcast, they will be able to show 5000 more live races per year. If this actually happens it will be a good thing, but hard to say if this will actually occur.

For someone like me though, I can only get HRTV through my cable service, and if they are the designated minor league track broadcaster, this will be a big negative for me. I guess the idea is to force everyone to get both channels now if you want the broadest range of races shown.
The potential exists, if TVG is willing to fork over the airing fees,
to Present TVG as the "Hi-Def" racing channel, & HRTV carry tracks that
broadcast in standard definition. Entices tracks to upgrade to HD to have
races shown on TVG, or be shown on HRTV.
But it Only works if TVG pays to ADD HRTV to Xfinity/DirectTV lineups.

GatetoWire
02-18-2015, 11:03 AM
I can't see them keeping 2 networks.
All will be folded under TVG.

Looks like Churchill is out in the cold with the focus on Stronach Tracks added to existing TVG tracks.

I see nothing about Arlington, Fair Grounds and Churchill that were all shown on HRTV.

Canarsie
02-18-2015, 11:13 AM
I can't see them keeping 2 networks.
All will be folded under TVG.

Looks like Churchill is out in the cold with the focus on Stronach Tracks added to existing TVG tracks.

I see nothing about Arlington, Fair Grounds and Churchill that were all shown on HRTV.

I am in agreement with you 100%. Why would they keep a second channel and have to pay for both. HRTV was the AAA ballclub who wouldn't pay rights fees (cable and satellite) so they could reach the big leagues.

There could be a possibility that apps will come forward with many tracks being available to watch them on. Churchill could also hook up with Horse Races Now and could wind up being broadcast immediately if they choose.

foregoforever
02-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Then why would you buy your only real competitor?
to charge more for advertisements?

They can now leverage their monopoly position (as far as cable/satellite goes) to get lower signal fees from the tracks and other "promotional considerations".

arw629
02-18-2015, 11:32 AM
I hope the staff on HRTV maintains jobs because I think they do excellent work top to bottom.

Canarsie
02-18-2015, 11:32 AM
The potential exists, if TVG is willing to fork over the airing fees,
to Present TVG as the "Hi-Def" racing channel, & HRTV carry tracks that
broadcast in standard definition. Entices tracks to upgrade to HD to have
races shown on TVG, or be shown on HRTV.
But it Only works if TVG pays to ADD HRTV to Xfinity/DirectTV lineups.

I'm sure (at least I hope) Ralph will agree with me that there are many channels waiting in line to be broadcast in HD. Some of the pay tier sports packages don't even guarantee their games will be in high def.

Betfair didn't just go and spend a few million dollars upgrading their system to stay on the sd tier. They want to be on hd tomorrow but it may take some time. It's weird that on MSG I can see all the NYRA people on hd yet when I switch to tvg yuch.

I'm pretty sure that Betfair would pay the fee but do they get priority over a channel that has a long standing relationship with the provider? The best thing that could happen is that technology evolves rapidly and this problem doesn't exist anymore.

grimm7
02-18-2015, 12:04 PM
My mistake. Someone posted an article on facebook from 2011. Still would like to know if both channels will be shown?
HRTV did say some employees would be let go and some would be given jobs per DRF.

maliksealy210
02-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Merging was the term used at 12p ET when TVG came on the air today. Went three minutes without taking about wagering accounts. Mentioned they will be broadcast Gulfstream racing this weekend on TVG, and they hinted they'll already be onsite at Santa Anita this weekend (without saying it).

As I don't have HRTV and let my online subscription lapse, any idea what is going on today over there?

grimm7
02-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Now only if the Monarch and Mid-Atlantic Coop impasse can be settled everyone will be happy?

JimG
02-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Merging was the term used at 12p ET when TVG came on the air today. Went three minutes without taking about wagering accounts. Mentioned they will be broadcast Gulfstream racing this weekend on TVG, and they hinted they'll already be onsite at Santa Anita this weekend (without saying it).

As I don't have HRTV and let my online subscription lapse, any idea what is going on today over there?

As of 12:10 they are playing an old rerun. It was supposed to be live racing from Tampa with the show beginning at noon.

Jim

duncan04
02-18-2015, 12:21 PM
HRTV will probably be more horse sports oriented now. More Monty Roberts reruns and such.

maliksealy210
02-18-2015, 12:21 PM
As of 12:10 they are playing an old rerun. It was supposed to be live racing from Tampa with the show beginning at noon.

Jim

Very interesting to see if they go silent all day.

I am one of the people who like Todd Schrupp and what he brings to the table in doses, but he has this s-eating grin on his face on TVG this morning that is sort of getting to me.

cj
02-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Very interesting to see if they go silent all day.

I am one of the people who like Todd Schrupp and what he brings to the table in doses, but he has this s-eating grin on his face on TVG this morning that is sort of getting to me.

Nope, racing is on right now, but with no hosts. I don't think that is a surprise given the lineup today.

JimG
02-18-2015, 12:23 PM
The races are now on with music (if you call it that) in the background. No hosts thus far.

Jim

PS: How long before HRTV is re-branded TVG2?

PPS: This reminds me of when WCW was bought out by WWE

maliksealy210
02-18-2015, 12:33 PM
The races are now on with music (if you call it that) in the background. No hosts thus far.

Jim

PS: How long before HRTV is re-branded TVG2?

I think its a strong possibility in 2-3 months. Or just call it TVG on HRTV

maliksealy210
02-18-2015, 12:35 PM
PPSL This reminds me of when WCW was bought out by WWE

Even without a cross feed of Todd's announcement on HRTV? :)

pandy
02-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Hard to imagine why they would keep two channels. One big change that occurred when Betfair bought TVG, they got rid of all of the on air women. They obviously don't like women broadcasters. Eventually they hired Britney. I would think that they'll bring in Pincay, Jr. and maybe a few other guys but unfortunately the women on HRTV may be left out in the cold.

therussmeister
02-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Now only if the Monarch and Mid-Atlantic Coop impasse can be settled everyone will be happy?
Nope. We are horse-players, we are never happy. ;)

jimmy m
02-18-2015, 12:59 PM
I really hate to see people lose there jobs.HRTV has some solid hosts. Jeff Siegel,Kurt Hoover and Christina. Thats seems to be the way of the world now mergers. Weather you like it or not depends on your situation maybe. For me it helps. Im a Direct Tv subscriber because of The MLB Package I need my Dodgers and Angels because I am no fan of the Midwest teams.So with Direct I never had HRTV Ever.Gulfstream is pretty much all I play so too have on my big screen Led instead of my laptop will be awesome.

maliksealy210
02-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Keith Brackpool and others on the CHRB meeting audio confirmed they will broadcasting two channels going forward. Hopes to have all platforms have both channels as they will be showing different races on each channel and cross promoting to show as many races live as possible.

Lots of positive marketing coming out of this on this call, they are at least saying all of the right things.

lamboguy
02-18-2015, 01:11 PM
i am sure that TVG will keep some of the personalities that worked at HRTV.

pandy
02-18-2015, 01:13 PM
If they keep both channels, they'll have to.

Tom
02-18-2015, 01:17 PM
You can probably kiss your chicklettes good-bye.

PhantomOnTour
02-18-2015, 01:20 PM
So, does this mean more Aachen or less Aachen?

cj
02-18-2015, 01:23 PM
So, does this mean more Aachen or less Aachen?

Certainly hope less.

Driver8
02-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Per TVG CEO:

Will continue to offer both channels but with coordinated programming

Will keep the name HRTV for now, but likely to be TVG1 and TVG2 later on

Hope to get broader distribution with the cable companies as a result of the merger

netbet
02-18-2015, 02:05 PM
I keep reading about a 7-year term. What happens after 7 years?
http://corporate.betfair.com/media/press-releases/2015/18-02-2015.aspx

maliksealy210
02-18-2015, 02:11 PM

I think that is the end of the current contract with Stronach for those tracks. They will need to negotiate a new contract at that point, and with only one bidder (Betfair) I think the tracks won't have as much leverage, especially if the viewership increases with more carriage (this is a big chance, most cable/satellite providers carry just one of the channels since 85% of the coverage of races is the same... now if they divide the races more equally between two channels, they should be available in more homes).

JimG
02-18-2015, 02:14 PM

Sounds like Stronach could shop his signal around somewhere else if he wanted at that point. I doubt there will be anywhere to go.

They should package it TVG and TVG2 and develop hd streaming for all platforms. See MLB and WWE for how-to. That should be the future. Not worrying about cable tv rights. They are niche and will continue to be unless they can expose themselves to the younger market.

Stillriledup
02-18-2015, 03:09 PM
So let me ask this question.

For years, some of these Stronach tracks, namely Gulfstream, was not broadcast live on TVG. I would guess that the reason they didnt give TVG permission to show those races is because they wanted the viewer to go out and find a way to get HRTV so you can watch the races there.

Now, there's an advantage to "forcing" bettors to obtain HRTV in order to see Gulfstream, but didn't Gulfstream and Stronach cost themselves a LOT of money over the years by not letting TVG show Gulf?

I just don't see how the math works, did Stronach really do better financially by not having Gulf's races on TVG? I can't see how they did.

lamboguy
02-18-2015, 03:17 PM
So let me ask this question.

For years, some of these Stronach tracks, namely Gulfstream, was not broadcast live on TVG. I would guess that the reason they didnt give TVG permission to show those races is because they wanted the viewer to go out and find a way to get HRTV so you can watch the races there.

Now, there's an advantage to "forcing" bettors to obtain HRTV in order to see Gulfstream, but didn't Gulfstream and Stronach cost themselves a LOT of money over the years by not letting TVG show Gulf?

I just don't see how the math works, did Stronach really do better financially by not having Gulf's races on TVG? I can't see how they did.Stronach did the best for his company by selling to TVG even with this cheap price. TVG is going to have a shot to do better as well by signing up more player's. my guess is that its going to be pretty tough for the 28 race tracks to make a deal to get the Monarch Signals and the people that were going to the track to play those signals might sing up with an adw and stay at home.

JustRalph
02-18-2015, 04:05 PM
If they keep both channels and do this right, it could be a huge step forward....

Color me skeptical

Tall One
02-18-2015, 04:32 PM
If they keep both channels and do this right, it could be a huge step forward....

Color me skeptical

Agreed..hopefully DirecTV will carry both options and soon.

Stillriledup
02-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Agreed..hopefully DirecTV will carry both options and soon.

They don't really need both channels because TVG will now show the "good tracks".....Not sure what HRTV would be showing that's worth seeing that TVG won't already be showing.

But, the more the merrier.

Bullet Plane
02-18-2015, 04:56 PM
I sure hope they keep both channels, because all the horse racing just won't "fit" one channel.

Maybe they will even bring a third into the mix.

That would be even better.

098poi
02-18-2015, 05:17 PM
On a side note does anyone know the status if any of Sirius and any racing channel? I used to listen to At the Races with Steve Byk and then it was gone. I thought it moved and i can't find it. I could call Sirius but they are clueless. I still get notices in the mail saying my old radio (which died and I replaced) has been activated for a limited time. :rolleyes:

thespaah
02-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Do you have a link to that story?
No offense but posting "I just read" on a message board isn't very cool

thespaah
02-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Hopefully management at the new set up will realize HRTV has superior on camera talent, a far better presentation, etc...
My fear is the TVG announcers will get to keep their jobs and the better ones over at HRTV will be let go....
If that happens, it will end my days of watching horse racing on TV....I'll get the RTN on line....TVG has a long way to go before I watch it....
Right now, the only show that's any good and comes without all the goofing around and the "hey look at me" is "Drive Time"..
Carrothers and Schrup in particular irritate me the the point of distraction.

Stillriledup
02-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Hopefully management at the new set up will realize HRTV has superior on camera talent, a far better presentation, etc...
My fear is the TVG announcers will get to keep their jobs and the better ones over at HRTV will be let go....
If that happens, it will end my days of watching horse racing on TV....I'll get the RTN on line....TVG has a long way to go before I watch it....
Right now, the only show that's any good and comes without all the goofing around and the "hey look at me" is "Drive Time"..
Carrothers and Schrup in particular irritate me the the point of distraction.

It gets worse when Minnesota Twins baseball starts...and its right around the corner. :D

thespaah
02-18-2015, 05:54 PM
My fear is that all of the people that jumped the TVG ship and went over to HRTV will be canned.
There is a good bit of talent that left TVG for HRTV...
I just checked HRTV's website which has a link to click to view all the personalities of HRTV...The link is gone.
That's not good.

thespaah
02-18-2015, 05:57 PM

Jim
"Across The Board" which is an interview based show with Hosts Peter Lurie and Becky Witzman, is listed on the HRTV site as set to air at 8 PM EST tonight.
We shall see.

thespaah
02-18-2015, 05:58 PM
You can probably kiss your chicklettes good-bye.
TVG's choice not to use track graphics sucks....

tanner12oz
02-18-2015, 07:27 PM
The feeds are God awful though. Picture quality on hrtv is light years behind tvg

tanner12oz
02-18-2015, 07:31 PM
The adw side of this is where things get interesting. Personally I think the tv deal is simply along for the ride with the adw aspect of things taking precedent

thespaah
02-18-2015, 07:35 PM
The feeds are God awful though. Picture quality on hrtv is light years behind tvg
Quite frankly I don't see that much of a difference.
Perhaps now that TVG (gulp) has taken over, the video quality will improve across the board.
I still prefer the actual track graphics.
TVG frequently is late posting fractional times and the placing is often far behind the actual positioning of the horses. TVG does not use the Trackus chicklets either That pisses me off.....In some instances, the fractional times are not posted at all.
It's almost as though the people responsible for the TVG graphics don't care about what they are doing.

thespaah
02-18-2015, 07:36 PM
The adw side of this is where things get interesting. Personally I think the tv deal is simply along for the ride with the adw aspect of things taking precedent
I believe you are correct.

mannyberrios
02-18-2015, 09:27 PM
They will have to get permission to open in more states

SG4
02-19-2015, 01:38 AM
On a side note does anyone know the status if any of Sirius and any racing channel? I used to listen to At the Races with Steve Byk and then it was gone. I thought it moved and i can't find it. I could call Sirius but they are clueless. I still get notices in the mail saying my old radio (which died and I replaced) has been activated for a limited time. :rolleyes:

Check this link, upper left corner shows the channels being used on XM for this show I believe. http://www.thoroughbredracingradionetwork.com

098poi
02-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks I'll check it out.

arw629
02-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Does anyone on here actually like the staff and presentation of tvg over hrtv? HRTV 4 Life!

maliksealy210
02-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Does anyone on here actually like the staff and presentation of tvg over hrtv? HRTV 4 Life!

I do, and here is why. I am only going to use small, minute even, amounts of the information provided by either network, as I trust my own handicapping. So the tangents and attempts to make the show entertaining do the trick for me. If I was trying to glean information, or get an analyst to break down a field, then I would watch HRTV.

Shelby
02-19-2015, 10:32 AM
From Twitter:
TVG ‏@TVG 3m3 minutes ago
Racing from @GulfstreamPark comes to the TVG Network today! First post time at the Hallandale Beach track is at 12:40PM ET / 9:40AM PT

SG4
02-19-2015, 10:39 AM
I can recall several instances where HRTV's coverage has helped me in my betting, usually through pre-race interviews with trainers or a clocker such as Mike Welsch. The workouts they show have also been very insightful & have led me to some horses I would have otherwise ignored. I would hope they continue to utilize these aspects, as I can't remember a single time where something was said on TVG that led me to finding a winner. Now that TVG has access to these tracks again hopefully they'll bring back shows like The Works for Derby week & maybe more often than that.

ArlJim78
02-19-2015, 10:47 AM
not by a long shot. TVG is my choice of last resort and only with the mute on.

Shelby
02-19-2015, 10:49 AM
I can recall several instances where HRTV's coverage has helped me in my betting, usually through pre-race interviews with trainers or a clocker such as Mike Welsch. The workouts they show have also been very insightful & have led me to some horses I would have otherwise ignored. I would hope they continue to utilize these aspects, as I can't remember a single time where something was said on TVG that led me to finding a winner. Now that TVG has access to these tracks again hopefully they'll bring back shows like The Works for Derby week & maybe more often than that.

I would like that too. And, on a smaller note, maybe they will show the Eclipse Awards.

I'm just all around excited about all of this.

GaryG
02-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Jeff Siegel is in another class from the talking heads at TVG. He is both a top class handicapper and a long time owner. I cancelled RTN recently to save the $50, but it may be returning, depending on the new world order at TVG land. Todd starts screaming as soon as they cross the wire.

maliksealy210
02-19-2015, 12:43 PM
TVG brought the Works back for the Breeders Cup and did an excellent job.

Wickel
02-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Reiterating what Tom said, this is really sad news. HRTV is a far-superior outfit as far as on-air talent--both as anchors and handicappers--and overall coverage. TVG has the HD and the fancy graphics but wastes it all with many of their on-air fools. When I read of the buyout I had a frightening thought: A show hosted by Jon White and Mattie Carothers! Pure misery. I quit watching TVG about a year ago, except for The Quarters, for one reason only--the foolishness of one Matt Carothers. Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and give RTN a serious look.

upthecreek
02-19-2015, 01:05 PM
I referred a friend to TVG He had some offshore acct & didn't know anything about them I tell him all the good things about the adw acct & he is going to sign up I can't get my $50 because I'm in NJ & he lives in Va Ridiculous Last referral I give them( I didn't know about the $50 til he ask me) I did it because I'm very satisfied with my wagering acct.

Shelby
02-19-2015, 01:07 PM
I don't have HRTV. I've read here before that they never show any night racing. Is that true?

lamboguy
02-19-2015, 01:51 PM
whether one likes the personalities or not, there seems to be more money in those gulfstream pools today than last thursday with the same bad races.

maliksealy210
02-19-2015, 02:38 PM
whether one likes the personalities or not, there seems to be more money in those gulfstream pools today than last thursday with the same bad races.

Worth noting Aqueduct ran last Thursday, and aren't today. I think that's a bigger factor on handle than the TVG angle, but maybe I'm wrong.

lamboguy
02-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Worth noting Aqueduct ran last Thursday, and aren't today. I think that's a bigger factor on handle than the TVG angle, but maybe I'm wrong.that's a good point, but last week Gulfstream was being shown at the casino's in Nevada, this week i heard its not.

Tom
02-19-2015, 02:54 PM
I don't have HRTV. I've read here before that they never show any night racing. Is that true?

Not usually.
When there is a big night, like a CD evening card, they will, or the Penn Stakes nights. Evenings are usually for barrel racing, or jumping, or stuff like that.
Still towers of TVG......

Wickel
02-19-2015, 03:24 PM
I still can't believe it. Maybe Stronach will renege on the deal.

wisconsin
02-19-2015, 03:37 PM
I used to get annoyed with TVG, but when HRTV came along, I did not like the presentation.

How long can you watch John White babble while Becky Blinking Witzman sat there with him with a Santa Anita bar in the background.

You never knew when a race was coming on, or how much time you had until post. I left Dish in 2008 and never looked back.

I don't pay much attention to TVG announcers, but to me it's entertainment during the boring wait for the race to go off.

Wickel
02-19-2015, 03:42 PM
I agree Jon White and Becky Witzman are difficult to digest. But anchors such as Pincay, Siegel, Vercruysse (sometimes), Christina Blacker and Michelle Yu tower over what TVG has to offer. And believe me, Yu probably won't make the transition after what happened to her at TVG a couple of years ago.

maliksealy210
02-19-2015, 04:00 PM
that's a good point, but last week Gulfstream was being shown at the casino's in Nevada, this week i heard its not.

I had heard on At the Races this morning that it was cleared up and they should have the feeds and be able to bet today. Is that not the case?

lamboguy
02-19-2015, 04:17 PM
I had heard on At the Races this morning that it was cleared up and they should have the feeds and be able to bet today. Is that not the case?i had only heard that they were not going to take the signal, but it wouldn't surprise me if they cleared it up.

Fingal
02-19-2015, 04:40 PM
On Paulick's web site he has an article that has a Q & A with TVG officials.
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/tvg-and-hrtv-merger-what-does-it-mean/

Then in his Tweets section he puts this- (both are listed as being from 6 hours ago)

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
Bottom line: If you currently only get @HRTV (i.e., U-verse subscribers) you will not be getting the top-shelf tracks any more

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
Based on Scott Daruty comments, sounds like @TVG will be showing top handle-producing tracks (@TheNYRA @GulfstreamPark @santaanitapark)
---------------------------------

For those that don't know, Scott Daruty is the president of HRTV.

Milkshaker
02-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Yu probably won't make the transition after what happened to her at TVG a couple of years ago.

Sorry, I'm ignorant as to what happened. Please fill me in?

olddaddy
02-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Only a gulfstream track feed on hrtv, people must be cleaning out their desks.

Al Gobbi
02-19-2015, 05:35 PM
I would wager that Hoover and Yu will simply move over to the SA simulcast feed. Others not sure about.

Wickel
02-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Sorry, I'm ignorant as to what happened. Please fill me in?

Believe she was mouthing off about trainers and female jocks she didn't care for. TVG didn't take to kindly to her opinion.

Knowclew
02-19-2015, 05:58 PM
I would wager that Hoover and Yu will simply move over to the SA simulcast feed. Others not sure about.

Listening to the clowns right now, I am not so sure. They are all talking about being live on track.

I seem to remember being told Michele burned some bridges when she moved over, but who knows.

Personally, I will miss, in addition to the
better hosts, the Against The Odds and The Edge shows....assuming that they go away. Not that I agreed with, or bet any of their picks, but they often gave some solid insight in to a horse or two.

Guess we will all see soon enough. I am hopeful this ends up a positive move for the players.

fmolf
02-19-2015, 06:44 PM
i believe they will keep both channels with hrtv showing the 2nd tier tracks....the sam houstons,turfways and prairie meadows of the world,perhaps tampa & hawthorne and other smaller tracks as needed to fill hrtvs programming.I hope the horse sports programming goes away and more racing is shown on hrtv

maliksealy210
02-19-2015, 06:58 PM
i believe they will keep both channels with hrtv showing the 2nd tier tracks....the sam houstons,turfways and prairie meadows of the world,perhaps tampa & hawthorne and other smaller tracks as needed to fill hrtvs programming.I hope the horse sports programming goes away and more racing is shown on hrtv

In the Paulick Report Q&A they said the horse sports programming was staying. We'll see how long it stays.

Canarsie
02-20-2015, 10:30 AM

Can you kindly provide a link since you read it. My multiple search engines come up with nothing in regards to this.

The best I came up with is TVG reduced staff by 20 people in 2011.

ronsmac
02-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Oaklawn looked like the big loser yesterday. A number of their races were on tape delay.

lamboguy
02-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Gulfstream on TVG is like taking candy from a baby. the pools are alive and you can bet win pools for decent money without effecting the price to much. there is a decent rebate on Gulfstream as well.

joeslovo
02-20-2015, 03:18 PM
"Gulfstream on TVG is like taking candy from a baby"...

Please expand. Care to share some insights?

maliksealy210
02-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Will say it is a little nuts to see TVG on site at Santa Anita.

Is HRTV still just track feeds today?

Redboard
02-20-2015, 04:56 PM
This is good news for me since my cable provider, Comcast, only carries TVG. Now, I don’t have to run into the office to watch Gulfstream or Churchill races on the computer. But as far as the horse sports shows, I wouldn’t be too optimistic about them. When Betfair bought TVG in 2008, they proceeded to strip the staff and eliminated almost all of their horse sports shows including my favorite, Blinkers Off.

Stillriledup
02-20-2015, 05:13 PM
"Gulfstream on TVG is like taking candy from a baby"...

Please expand. Care to share some insights?

hEmahvffdDg

joeslovo
02-20-2015, 06:41 PM
OK but let's stay respectful to each other.
My wife and like to play the turf at GP and SA;so any insight that LamboGuy or anyone else had is always welcome.

Stillriledup
02-20-2015, 06:43 PM
On Paulick's web site he has an article that has a Q & A with TVG officials.
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/tvg-and-hrtv-merger-what-does-it-mean/

Then in his Tweets section he puts this- (both are listed as being from 6 hours ago)

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
Bottom line: If you currently only get @HRTV (i.e., U-verse subscribers) you will not be getting the top-shelf tracks any more

Ray Paulick @raypaulick
Based on Scott Daruty comments, sounds like @TVG will be showing top handle-producing tracks (@TheNYRA @GulfstreamPark @santaanitapark)
---------------------------------

For those that don't know, Scott Daruty is the president of HRTV.

Seems like these "officials" didn't really answer the question about Churchill and being live on track...kinda sidestepped that one.

lamboguy
02-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Seems like these "officials" didn't really answer the question about Churchill and being live on track...kinda sidestepped that one.Todd Schrupp did an interview and said that Churchill would remain on the HRTV and that they were looking forward to working with Churchill going forward.

wisconsin
02-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Todd Schrupp did an interview and said that Churchill would remain on the HRTV and that they were looking forward to working with Churchill going forward.

Todd was quite upset when Churchill jumped from TVG to HRTV. For a couple of years he refused to call Churchill Downs anything other than "a major racetrack in Kentucky".

Tom
02-20-2015, 10:52 PM
Very adult of him.
Did he cry, too?

therussmeister
02-21-2015, 01:21 AM
DRF seems to think this deal will lead to coordinated post time. http://www.drf.com/news/tvg-deal-could-lead-coordinated-post-times

SoCalCircuit
02-21-2015, 06:04 AM
I think the real question is how this affects super beta prostate marketing.

spiketoo
02-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Looking forward now to the beezit IPO. I'm in.

Tom
02-21-2015, 10:35 AM
DRF seems to think this deal will lead to coordinated post time. http://www.drf.com/news/tvg-deal-could-lead-coordinated-post-times

You give the tracks too much credit.

That is rocket science.
They will never figure it out.

BettinBilly
02-21-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm very close to being a Cord-Cutter. I have Amazon's Fire Stick USB TV Device for tons of ON-Demand shows. I get decent HDTV Over The Air Broadcasts. Sling TV now offers some decent channels via Fire TV Stick and Roku or just Online Streaming for 20 bucks a month.

Yet, I keep U-Verse because and only because of HRTV. U-Verse discontinued TVG a few years ago, leaving us U-Verse people with only HRTV. Getting HRTV on U-Verse is not an inexpensive deal. You have to get the right package(es) to view it. And, it's not in HD. Yet, it kept me with U-verse, and without it, I'd be a Cord-Cutter for sure.

It will be interesting to see what happens. If suddenly it's an HRTV/TVG Channel and it is HD with more tracks and what most of us would consider "Better" programming, I'm all for it. We'll know soon enough. What's done is done. All we can do is wait and see.

Redboard
02-21-2015, 11:59 AM

I was introduced to the Back2Life machine on one of TVG's pre-race infomercials. Best tip I ever got on that station. Back feels great! And those commercials get better ratings than the horse racing, of course, TVG is also a ADW so they get their money that way.

BettinBilly
02-21-2015, 12:12 PM

Thanks Russ. I had missed this.

thespaah
02-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Todd was quite upset when Churchill jumped from TVG to HRTV. For a couple of years he refused to call Churchill Downs anything other than "a major racetrack in Kentucky".
Another reason for me to dislike the guy....

Stillriledup
02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Seems like Aqu gets the short end of the stick...TVG ignoring them kinda.

cj
02-21-2015, 03:44 PM

Not exactly stellar racing today.

Tom
02-21-2015, 04:15 PM
Both channels showing the same races at the same time while ignoring other tracks.

Just what I figured - people who can't handle counting to 3 now have 6 thing to manage.

Nothing good comes from this. It is, after all, TVG in charge. :bang:

Stillriledup
02-21-2015, 04:33 PM
Both channels showing the same races at the same time while ignoring other tracks.

Just what I figured - people who can't handle counting to 3 now have 6 thing to manage.

Nothing good comes from this. It is, after all, TVG in charge. :bang:

TVG hired Todd Schrupp, doesn't that mean they're pretty smart? :rolleyes:

davew
02-21-2015, 04:51 PM

showing delayed replay of 8th with 6 mtp for 9th seems like low priority

duncan04
02-21-2015, 05:18 PM

People want to bash NYRA and now they feel bad that they are getting ignored by TVG?? :confused:

redshift1
02-21-2015, 09:11 PM
I have both HRTV and TVG, today TVG was primarily Gulfstream, Oaklawn and Tampa with little mention of the Fair Grounds, Aqueduct was covered but not much commentary. This goes along with previous discussions where generally speaking TVG would cover A-tier racing while HRTV would cover B-tier. TVG was a few seconds ahead of HRTV when toggling between mutually covered races.

Al Gobbi
02-22-2015, 01:56 PM
HRTV is showing the races from Turfway this afternoon.

cj
02-22-2015, 02:02 PM
I have both HRTV and TVG, today TVG was primarily Gulfstream, Oaklawn and Tampa with little mention of the Fair Grounds, Aqueduct was covered but not much commentary. This goes along with previous discussions where generally speaking TVG would cover A-tier racing while HRTV would cover B-tier. TVG was a few seconds ahead of HRTV when toggling between mutually covered races.

Fair Grounds is a Churchill track, not allowed on TVG yet.

Stillriledup
02-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Fair Grounds is a Churchill track, not allowed on TVG yet.

Do you think Churchill had determined that if they allow FG on TVG that would hurt their handle?

ronsmac
02-22-2015, 03:04 PM
I love hrtv, break for commercials while the 1st and 2nd at Oaklawn is running.

Loserdave
02-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Siegel looked a little ill this morning as Aaron said we'll have Oaklawn races 1-7 for you here on HRTV, but if you want to see the Southwest Stakes you'll have to switch over to TVG to see it. Don't think Siegel will stick around any longer than he has to.

judd
02-22-2015, 04:13 PM
What's Joanne Jones doing these days?

Al Gobbi
02-22-2015, 05:18 PM
Do you think Churchill had determined that if they allow FG on TVG that would hurt their handle?

Honestly, I doubt CD cares if their races air at all.

Stillriledup
02-22-2015, 05:28 PM

I guess if they had their druthers, all the tracks would fold up and they would get to keep the slots.

Zydeco
02-22-2015, 05:59 PM
Yea, where is Joanne Jones?

duncan04
02-22-2015, 09:02 PM
I guess if they had their druthers, all the tracks would fold up and they would get to keep the slots.

Have to give them credit. They know what makes money and what doesn't.

thespaah
02-23-2015, 12:37 AM
showing delayed replay of 8th with 6 mtp for 9th seems like low priority
Let's face facts...Both Gulfstream and Santa Anita Meets stand head and shoulders over the NYRA "winter carnival".....
Not a NYRA bash....Just the facts.

thespaah
02-23-2015, 12:39 AM
She left HRTV at least 2 years ago....

Stillriledup
02-23-2015, 12:41 AM
She left HRTV at least 2 years ago....

Why?

thespaah
02-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Why would they....Having TVG air CD races means competition for CD's ADW...
I don't care. As far as I am concerned, Kentucky racing has 41 dates...
The 40 at Keeneland and KY Derby Day.....OK, the racing at Kentucky Downs is pretty interesting due to the unusual configuration of the course.
Watching races from CD is like watching an inmate softball game from outside the prison fence.
Really...Why can't Churchill management figure out a way to take down the razor wire topped fence after the Derby Weekend is over.. Or, just eliminate the infield as a patron area...

thespaah
02-23-2015, 12:46 AM
Why?
She went on to other endeavors. What those are, I have no idea.
I happened to be watching the day she announced that it was her final day on HRTV....

Stillriledup
02-23-2015, 12:47 AM
She went on to other endeavors. What those are, I have no idea.
I happened to be watching the day she announced that it was her final day on HRTV....

Thanks. Hopefully she's doing well.

Tall One
02-23-2015, 12:59 AM
Have to give them credit. They know what makes money and what doesn't.

Like your avatar's fall meet?

ubercapper
02-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Most of that content (Byk, Dave Johnson and Horse Racing Radio Network shows Tues-Fri 6-7 pm) moved to Sirius 220 / XM 206. Equine Forum can still be heard on Sirius 92 / XM 92 Saturday morning.

Fingal
02-23-2015, 11:31 AM

She has her Track Diva website to promote her Track Diva Days, women involved in racing & then to sell her & Dad's picks.

http://www.racetrackdiva.com/home.html

Redbullsnation
02-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Well, this is interesting. Hopefully it means that HRTV is coming to DTV

davew
02-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Is this still in negotiations? or does anyone know when takeover occurs?

Last weekend I was watching HRTV and they showed early Aqueduct races and then recommended to go to your favorite ADW to see the rest of the card.

lamboguy
02-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Is this still in negotiations? or does anyone know when takeover occurs?

Last weekend I was watching HRTV and they showed early Aqueduct races and then recommended to go to your favorite ADW to see the rest of the card.its a done deal already

Stillriledup
02-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Nice.

Schrupp rubbing salt that he gets to watch Charlestown in HD, but there's no HD signal for people watching on tv, at least not for those watching TVG on Directv.

How do you get Charlestown in HD unless you're physically in the TVG studios?

lamboguy
02-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Nice.

Schrupp rubbing salt that he gets to watch Charlestown in HD, but there's no HD signal for people watching on tv, at least not for those watching TVG on Directv.

How do you get Charlestown in HD unless you're physically in the TVG studios?i have always been dreaming to watch Charlietown in HD, what an early birthday present they just gave me!

Curlin
02-26-2015, 07:59 PM
My gawd. If someone could **** up something that was already ****ed up. It would be tvg.

Stillriledup
02-26-2015, 08:49 PM
i have always been dreaming to watch Charlietown in HD, what an early birthday present they just gave me!

How are you watching in HD, on what channel? You must not have directv.

duncan04
02-26-2015, 08:58 PM

TVG shows Charles Town in HD but not on directtv I guess

Stillriledup
02-26-2015, 08:59 PM
TVG shows Charles Town in HD but not on directtv I guess

Its not in HD on the main TVG channel on directv ....once in a while you get HD on the fox sports affiliates, but you can't really count on them to be on when you need them to be on. Seeing TVG in HD is a pleasant surprise on Directv.

affirmedny
03-07-2015, 09:52 AM
I caught the last minute or so of the Peter Lurie/Millie Ball show yesterday and it sounded like they were saying it was their last show. Does anybody know?

hogoffate
03-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I know it has to be "legalese" and way above my knowledge but TVG signed to carry Oaklawn and show 65% - 70% of its races live. Since they have taken over HRTV do they have to do that? I will be watching today to find out. If they don't show OP races and move them to HRTV, what about the DirecTV customers where HRTV is not carried as of now.

I guess its still trying to be figured out but if they signed a contract I wonder if there was a loophole for them to get out of that stipulation.

anyone with thoughts?

ronsmac
03-07-2015, 12:27 PM
I know it has to be "legalese" and way above my knowledge but TVG signed to carry Oaklawn and show 65% - 70% of its races live. Since they have taken over HRTV do they have to do that? I will be watching today to find out. If they don't show OP races and move them to HRTV, what about the DirecTV customers where HRTV is not carried as of now.

I guess its still trying to be figured out but if they signed a contract I wonder if there was a loophole for them to get out of that stipulation.

anyone with thoughts?The Hrtv website says they're showing all of Oaklawns races today. Whether or not they show most live is anyone's guess.

hogoffate
03-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks,
I saw that too and checked on it. Unfortunately, I don't have a paid subscription and am not going to buy one.

lamboguy
03-08-2015, 05:31 PM
i have comcast xfinity.

what i have been noticing is that the tracks like Hawthorn that had a full deal with TVG were doing a lot more handle before the merger. so far this is the downside of the deal to me. i don't think that the old HRTV is enough for those tracks that got their handle from the broadcast by TVG