PDA

View Full Version : SA 2/16 Race 5

1GCFAN
02-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Bert's Melody pulled a Bayern at the start slamming into the 7 and causing a major Ping-Pong effect. Went on to wire the field. The stewards conducted an inquiry into the start but made no change when they ruled MARINA DEL HEAT contributed to her trouble by breaking slowly.
At least they are consistent! ;)

WP1981
02-17-2015, 11:05 PM
I had Marina Del Heat and disagree, obviously. :D

Alas, a DQ wouldn't have helped me any so I just swore I'd never bet another race again.. Until the next race.

Stillriledup
02-17-2015, 11:15 PM
A good rule of thumb is to just hope the judges pay off the winners because its much worse to win and get taken down, than to lose and not get put up. If it all evens out in the end anyway, like they say it does, just hope when you win, you get paid and when you lose, you don't get paid......keeps the ulcer in check and the hair on the head.

moneyandland
02-17-2015, 11:32 PM
A good rule of thumb is to just hope the judges pay off the winners because its much worse to win and get taken down, than to lose and not get put up. If it all evens out in the end anyway, like they say it does, just hope when you win, you get paid and when you lose, you don't get paid......keeps the ulcer in check and the hair on the head.

When you win and get DQ'ed that sticks with ya, When you lose and get paid, that slips by like any other regular win... I can't remember the last time I benefited from a DQ, but I could tell you the track, race, etc of the last 5 DQ's that cost me money lol, guess I'll have to start writing them down

Stillriledup
02-17-2015, 11:37 PM
When you win and get DQ'ed that sticks with ya, When you lose and get paid, that slips by like any other regular win... I can't remember the last time I benefited from a DQ, but I could tell you the track, race, etc of the last 5 DQ's that cost me money lol, guess I'll have to start writing them down

No doubt. If you get placed up, its just like a regular win because you knew you were "supposed to win". I got placed up at Gulf the other day for small money, had a win bet on a Paco Lopez 9-1 shot and they took down the 6-5 shot....but i'm still WAY behind on DQs, i'm down 10 dollars to 1 dollar on them.

SG4
02-17-2015, 11:52 PM
These inquiries based on the start are hard to rule on, and I generally agree with leaving the results as they stand in this situation, but in declaring that "MARINA DEL HEAT contributed to her trouble by breaking slowly" as the reasoning behind the argument sounds like a bad one & opens up a can of worms as to how well do you need to break to avoid getting cut off without consequences. I'd prefer the old Bayern ambiguity of saying the events at the start couldn't definitely have been shown to cost this horse a higher placing, but blaming the victim in this situation makes no sense from all the video I've seen, especially considering she got sandwiched, not just one horse coming over. If a horse in the stretch gets pushed out because they're a half length behind instead of neck & neck, will the stewards rule they caused their own trouble by running too slowly?

WP1981
02-17-2015, 11:55 PM
They definitely stick with you.

I had a weird situation at Fairmount over two years ago that still drives me nuts. It was a night card and I was having a few beers with a buddy. Won a few races and put $50 on a 12-1. He gets the job done but there is an inquiry. It was an 8 or 9 horse race and the start was a mess for 3 of them. I think the 2 came out sideways and hit the chalk 1 who pulled up and the 3 had some sort of gate malfunction.

After an eternity they declared it a no race and refunded everything. Made me furious but at least I got my money back. Would love to find that chart!

I have seen far worse go official. That 2nd at GP Monday was awful. Scratch at the gate, the huge favorite then dumps the rider, another horse pulls up before the turn and my 19-1 gets his heel clipped by the loose horse and fades to 3rd as the last finisher. I had a win and place and the show pays $44. Lmao.. stupid for playing.

Stillriledup
02-18-2015, 03:01 AM
These inquiries based on the start are hard to rule on, and I generally agree with leaving the results as they stand in this situation, but in declaring that "MARINA DEL HEAT contributed to her trouble by breaking slowly" as the reasoning behind the argument sounds like a bad one & opens up a can of worms as to how well do you need to break to avoid getting cut off without consequences. I'd prefer the old Bayern ambiguity of saying the events at the start couldn't definitely have been shown to cost this horse a higher placing, but blaming the victim in this situation makes no sense from all the video I've seen, especially considering she got sandwiched, not just one horse coming over. If a horse in the stretch gets pushed out because they're a half length behind instead of neck & neck, will the stewards rule they caused their own trouble by running too slowly?
When horses miss the break and come out a beat slow, horses who break faster angle into the "empty area" which is created, most all horses do this which means if you leave that area open, even for a brief second, its your fault and not the horse who came over's fault.