PDA

View Full Version : Horse Handicapping Authority is finally back!

Dave Schwartz
02-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Well, it has been a long year without the ability to send mass emails but we are now back! But there is good news and bad news.

We have to rebuild our email list from scratch!

We sent out an email today. If you do not get one, then you need to be added back to our list. You may do so here:

http://thehorsehandicappingauthority.com/contact-dave-schwartz/

Robert Fischer
02-17-2015, 08:10 PM
done

Dave Schwartz
02-17-2015, 08:47 PM
I am assuming that Robt Fischer is a nom de plume.

Robert Fischer
02-17-2015, 09:01 PM
I am assuming that Robert Fischer is a nom de plume.
That would be correct. Initials JK.

Overlay
02-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Well, it has been a long year without the ability to send mass emails but we are now back! But there is good news and bad news.

We have to rebuild our email list from scratch!

We sent out an email today. If you do not get one, then you need to be added back to our list. You may do so here:

http://thehorsehandicappingauthority.com/contact-dave-schwartz/
Congratulations, and thank you for posting about it. It clarified a question that I had when your e-mail got routed to my junk mail inbox because it had been recorded as being sent by some other entity (I'm sorry that I did not note the name or web address) "on behalf of Dave Schwartz". I put it in my regular inbox so that I could ask you about that, but when I transferred it there, the "on behalf of" portion of the address went away, and it just gave your usual direct "From" line, so I assumed that it had originated with you, and your post above verified that.

Dave Schwartz
02-18-2015, 08:56 AM
Overlay,

Yesterday's email came that way?

Back on topic - We're going to do things very differently this year in a lot of different ways.

1. Content is King
For example, I have determined that my biggest stumbling block in creating blog posts, emails, videos, etc. is making them look pretty. It literally triples the time investment.

Therefore, I am switching to concentrating on "quality of content" rather than attractiveness. This is especially true of emails.

The mass email provider I use has an interface that forces you to compose within their editor. Their editor is buggy. For me to send a simple email, may take 30 minutes to write/edit the email and 2 hours to format it.

No more. I would rather spend an extra 30 minutes on the quality of the email, then simply copy/paste/send.

2. We're loading our website with content.
I have been capturing good content from all over the web for 15 years. Everything from magazine articles, blog posts, and systems that people posted. Even some great posts from PA. And of course, my own articles.

I will actively be seeking permission to post these articles - or at least links to them over the coming weeks.

In accordance with that, we've changed our front page to become a simple cataloging system, so that things are easy to find. Eventually, some of the categories will have their own pages as well.

Check it out here. (http://thehorsehandicappingauthority.com/)

3. The emails will contain the best stuff.
We have decided that the best way to get people to open our emails is to make the content inside the absolute best available. To that end, the emails will not only contain handicapping ideas and concepts, but also will contain links to special webinars and podcasts.

4. My Blogtalk show is coming back!
Look for one being uploaded in the next few days. (It is already recorded.) They will be a little shorter - trying to keep them at around 30 minutes.

thaskalos
02-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Hi, Dave...

I have always enjoyed reading your handicapping articles on your website, and I would like to make a suggestion...which I think would improve the content of your website even further. I know you've already stated that you'd be featuring postings from this site with your new format...but, IMO, mere postings from here may not go far enough in illustrating the posters' complete thoughts on a given topic. Since individual posts are usually made in reply to other particular posts, and since they must necessary be brief due to space and time constraints...the message conveyed in those posts often proves ambiguous and confusing...especially to the newer players of our game.

Since you have also already mentioned that you would be featuring magazine articles from other sources on your site...how about offering the opportunity to members of THIS site to present their OWN articles for your approval...and possible inclusion on your site. I think you'd agree that there are plenty of members here who would be quite capable of putting together complete articles which would be very interesting to a great many players...of ALL levels. I know that I would be very interested in reading the thoroughly explained handicapping and betting opinions of more than a few of the members here.

Just a thought...along with my best wishes for you and your site, going forward.

Overlay
02-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Overlay,

Yesterday's email came that way?
Right. (I'll forward you what I received.)

Dave Schwartz
02-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Since you have also already mentioned that you would be featuring magazine articles from other sources on your site...how about offering the opportunity to members of THIS site to present their OWN articles for your approval...and possible inclusion on your site. I think you'd agree that there are plenty of members here who would be quite capable of putting together complete articles which would be very interesting to a great many players...of ALL levels. I know that I would be very interested in reading the thoroughly explained handicapping and betting opinions of more than a few of the members here.

Just a thought...along with my best wishes for you and your site, going forward.

I think that is a wonderful idea.

Exotic1
02-18-2015, 11:51 AM
I think that is a wonderful idea.

Right, like a hyper-link table of contents to the right of the screen sorted by Author or Posting Month that expands to a more complete list when clicked on. Maybe.

Dave Schwartz
02-18-2015, 07:52 PM
More likely added to the growing list in that grid as well as a separate page for contributors.

"We aren't pretty but there is lots of content."

Dave Schwartz
02-25-2015, 10:14 AM
Excerpt from my last email:
=====================
(Note: To get on our email list just contact me, Dave Schwartz.)

One of the keys to a successful handicapping result is clarity of value.

Here's why:

If each day when you start the day, you don't know what value really is - then you will end up playing a lot of races that just cannot be beaten.

You ever find that happen to you?

You have big plans for the day, going to have a big day, but when you look back at the end of the day you realize you played a lot of races you shouldn't have.

That's what I am talking about.

Here's the solution:

Each day --- one race at a time --- you need to know exactly what it takes for a race to be playable.

And by "playable," I mean long-term profitable.

For example, in my handicapping, there are 3 core areas I focus on after the race is handicapped:

1) Contenders I have chosen
2) Non-contenders I have chosen
3) Horse(s) I have decided to bet

More in the email...

hyipro
02-25-2015, 12:23 PM
THIS ISThis is the mail system at host mx-n06.wc1.ord1.stabletransit.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<aman@powerdesk.in>: host
ecab9fd91cb8fd43a986d450e80b01.pamx1.hotmail.com[65.54.188.109] said: 550
5.7.0 (BAY004-PAMC2F7) Unfortunately, messages from (50.57.219.123) on
behalf of (yahoo.com) could not be delivered due to domain owner policy
restrictions. (in reply to end of DATA command)

<daveschwreno@gmail.com>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.201.27] said:
550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not accepted due to
domain's 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact administrator of yahoo.com
domain if 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit 550-5.7.1
http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about DMARC 550
5.7.1 initiative. e42si24095272iod.90 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA
command)

<jdmscentral@gmail.com>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.201.27] said:
550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not accepted due to
domain's 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact administrator of yahoo.com
domain if 550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit 550-5.7.1
http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about DMARC 550
5.7.1 initiative. e42si24095272iod.90 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA
command)
WHAT I RECVD WHEN I SIGNED UP ???

Dave Schwartz
02-25-2015, 01:11 PM
How did you sign up?

Did you send me an email?

Did you sign up from my website?

hyipro
02-26-2015, 12:04 AM
I SIGNED UP FROM THE LINK IN YOUR POST TO YOUR SITE AND ENTERED THE INFORMATION IN THE BOXES, IN THE RIGHT PANE.

ezpace
03-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Dave email me when you have

developed the COBALT + THE 12 UNDETECTABLE
designer DRUGS INDICATOR.

42YRS experience , there are by far

better $$ time allocations
cya

Appy
03-07-2015, 11:48 AM
"If each day when you start the day, you don't know what value really is - then you will end up playing a lot of races that just cannot be beaten.

You ever find that happen to you?

You have big plans for the day, going to have a big day, but when you look back at the end of the day you realize you played a lot of races you shouldn't have.

That's what I am talking about...
...Each day --- one race at a time --- you need to know exactly what it takes for a race to be playable.
And by "playable," I mean long-term profitable."

"...Here's the solution:" SPECIALIZATION. To anyone who does not keep records that prove and identify the conditions at which you are profitable...everyone else thanks you for playing.

Dave Schwartz
03-07-2015, 10:00 PM
"...Here's the solution:" SPECIALIZATION. To anyone who does not keep records that prove and identify the conditions at which you are profitable...everyone else thanks you for playing.

Appy,

That was a good addition to the introduction from one of my emails.

I suppose you could say I specialize, although my own specialization is pretty broad - everything but turf and races with FTS.

I could add some of those races back but, frankly, I need a break. I handicap and play 5-6 races per hour, more during the summer months. Obviously some of those races are more playable than others, and a few qualify as total skips.

EzPace,

I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Appy
03-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Dave, I can't claim to have mastered specialization. But I have accumulated sufficient evidence that proves to me it's importance in conceptual context. Of course it is virtually impossible to isolate your "specialty" without good record keeping.
The necessity of record keeping may be one reason specialization provides an edge. Lots of folks simply don't want to invest the time and effort required to keep up with all that is involved in the record keeping department. One thing that really gave my own effort in specialization a huge boost is means of automating the tasks.

As a handicapper I haven't progressed to the point I could successfully handicap nearly as many races as you do (regardless of software), nor could I even begin to successfully play that many.
One thing that clearly works best for me is to play certain tracks, one at a time, and only those races on the card that are written for the conditions at which I am producing an overall high ROI. The discipline to adhere to that is something I am still attempting to achieve.

Thanks for the visit pard. :) I sincerely hope it turns into an additional productive outlet for both of us.