PDA

View Full Version : Time to stock up on that evil .223 ammo

Clocker
02-16-2015, 11:01 AM
The gun grabbers at ATFE are taking their lead from Obama and working to enact gun control by executive order. The latest is a proposal to ban M855 .223 ball ammunition as “armor piercing ammunition.” This is everyday ammo for the very common and popular AR-15 rifle. But federal law prohibits “armor piercing ammunition” designed for use in a hand gun, and there are hand guns that use the round.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150213/batfe-to-ban-common-ar-15-ammo

Background:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20130301/batfe-reviewing-sporting-purposes-exemption-to-ap-ammo-law

lamboguy
02-16-2015, 11:04 AM
i was noticing on television that the Danish police were walking around with 22 caliber uzzi's. that's a nice weapon to be walking around with. i used to practice every day with them and i was extremely accurate.

Dave Schwartz
02-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Recently I was in Scheels and was surprised to find that the ban on AR-15 magazines was gone. For a while you could only purchase a 5-round magazine.

Now you can get 20,30, or even 40 rounds.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Recently I was in Scheels and was surprised to find that the ban on AR-15 magazines was gone. For a while you could only purchase a 5-round magazine.

Now you can get 20,30, or even 40 rounds.

There hasn't been a national ban since the Assault Weapon Ban expired in 2004. Several states, especially Cal. and NY, still ban "hi-cap" mags.

There was an extreme shortage a few years ago when liberals ramped up efforts for stricter gun control law after a mass murder in a CT school and another in a CO theater. The gun control efforts focused on "hi-cap" mags and demand soared as gun owners stock up in anticipation of a new ban. Gun control efforts failed and the market returned to normal.

lamboguy
02-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Now you can get 20,30, or even 40 rounds.there used to be a great store in Las Vegas called "the survivor store" they had a gun and rifle store and a firing range where they taught you about the guns and how to fire them.

Dave Schwartz
02-16-2015, 01:59 PM
There was an extreme shortage a few years ago when liberals ramped up efforts for stricter gun control law after a mass murder in a CT school and another in a CO theater. The gun control efforts focused on "hi-cap" mags and demand soared as gun owners stock up in anticipation of a new ban. Gun control efforts failed and the market returned to normal.

Yes, that sounds right, Clocker.

I believe it was Ralph (here on PA) that said there was not a single case of automatic weapons being used in the U.S.

When he said that, I thought, "Oh, that can't be right. WHat about all those TV shows?"

After a great deal of searching for any illegal use of automatic weapons on Google, I gave up.

Can anyone find an example of such?

Saratoga_Mike
02-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Aren't automatic weapons already banned in the US (except for military)?

I believe the Sandy Hook shooter used a semi-automatic weapon.

On Dave's question, if we can venture outside the US, the answer would be Denmark over the weekend - the shooter used an automatic weapon, according to reports I read.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Aren't automatic weapons already banned in the US (except for military)?

Some states ban them. They are legal under federal law, if your state allows them, but there are a lot more legal hoops to jump through than for conventional weapons.

Among other things, automatic weapons are registered with ATF and have a $200 purchase or transfer tax. And if you own one, you have to get ATF approval and pay the tax before you can sell it. Further restrictions vary from state to state.

TJDave
02-16-2015, 03:13 PM
The gun grabbers at ATFE are taking their lead from Obama and working to enact gun control by executive order. The latest is a proposal to ban M855 .223 ball ammunition as “armor piercing ammunition.” This is everyday ammo for the very common and popular AR-15 rifle. But federal law prohibits “armor piercing ammunition” designed for use in a hand gun, and there are hand guns that use the round.

M855 rounds will defeat body armor. They are literally cop killers. The idea that there should be handguns that fire this is absurd.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 03:45 PM
M855 rounds will defeat body armor. They are literally cop killers.

A long sharp knife will defeat body armor. Any high power rifle round will penetrate basic body armor.

"They are literally cop killers."? How many cops have been killed by M855 rounds, as opposed to .38 Special or 9mm Parabellum?

TJDave
02-16-2015, 04:20 PM
How many cops have been killed by M855 rounds, as opposed to .38 Special or 9mm Parabellum?

A few LE's get killed by rifle fire every year. That's not the point. If you get hit center mass with this round it's bad news. Handguns that shoot this round should be banned. As well as high capacity magazines for AR's.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 04:35 PM
As well as high capacity magazines for AR's.

There is no evidence to show that this would have any impact on crime. They were banned for 10 years under the AWB, and there was no impact. This is another feel good measure, designed to give gun control advocates a warm and fuzzy feeling and a sense of accomplishment. AR-15 magazines, like the AR-15 itself, are a favorite target for regulation based on the simple fact of appearance. It just looks "evil" to a lot of people.

TJDave
02-16-2015, 04:55 PM
It just looks "evil" to a lot of people.

It certainly did at Aurora and Sandy Hook.

Tape Reader
02-16-2015, 05:11 PM
i was noticing on television that the Danish police were walking around with 22 caliber uzzi's. that's a nice weapon to be walking around with. i used to practice every day with them and i was extremely accurate.

Is this the same 22 caliber short, long and LR that is used for plinking?

JustRalph
02-16-2015, 10:40 PM
There is no evidence to show that this would have any impact on crime. They were banned for 10 years under the AWB, and there was no impact. This is another feel good measure, designed to give gun control advocates a warm and fuzzy feeling and a sense of accomplishment. AR-15 magazines, like the AR-15 itself, are a favorite target for regulation based on the simple fact of appearance. It just looks "evil" to a lot of people.

Exactly right :ThmbUp:

Hoofless_Wonder
02-17-2015, 02:50 AM
Yes, that sounds right, Clocker.

I believe it was Ralph (here on PA) that said there was not a single case of automatic weapons being used in the U.S.

When he said that, I thought, "Oh, that can't be right. WHat about all those TV shows?"

After a great deal of searching for any illegal use of automatic weapons on Google, I gave up.

Can anyone find an example of such?

Perhaps he meant automatic pistols or sub-machine guns?

These guys used illegally modified automatic weapons in a bank robbery back in 1997. Fired over 1100 rounds, and didn't kill anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

I recall the footage when they started firing at a helicopter that was tracking them, and one of the guys on board was filming them. That could ruin your day.

As for the BATFE tactic, if you want a reason NOT to ban this type of ammo, there are many rifles that are designed to shoot this round which can be very, very accurate. Simply because the round can be fired from a short-barrel version of the .223 which is technically a handgun is hardly a reason to punish the 99+ percent of rifle owners who can chamber the same round. More details here:

http://market-ticker.org/cgi-ticker/akcs-www?post=229838

As for TJDave's views, keep your skirt on sister. The issue with both Aurora and Sandy Hook is that the cowards who did the shooting were freakin' crazy, and known to be mentally unstable. They fell through the huge cracks in the system, thank you ACLU. These guys should not have had driver's licenses or been loose in public, let alone have access to firearms.....if Adam Lanza had waited until recess and ran over and killed 20 kids with his car, you can bet for damn sure there would have been no public outcry to ban automobiles......