PDA

View Full Version : Palace Malice

Lemon Drop Husker
02-14-2015, 04:13 PM
A personal favorite of mine, and I can't wait to see him back in action.

He is scheduled to race again on May 2nd in the GIII Westchester Stakes at Belmont on Kentucky Derby day.

There are certain horses that we all, for some reason, fall in love with and it clouds our vision. PM is one of mine.

What do you see this Curlin bred monster doing in his 5YO campaign? Will he move forward and be a major contender and be a serious threat for the BC Classic? Or are his best days behind him?

Cratos
02-14-2015, 04:23 PM
A personal favorite of mine, and I can't wait to see him back in action.

He is scheduled to race again on May 2nd in the GIII Westchester Stakes at Belmont on Kentucky Derby day.

There are certain horses that we all, for some reason, fall in love with and it clouds our vision. PM is one of mine.

What do you see this Curlin bred monster doing in his 5YO campaign? Will he move forward and be a major contender and be a serious threat for the BC Classic? Or are his best days behind him?
I am a big PM fan also and if he returned healthy and fit, he will be a force to be reckoned with from 7f to 1-1/4m.

Also don't overlook Shug with Honor Code and Top Billing (a Curlin colt).

letswastemoney
02-14-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm skeptical of his feet. Didn't he just overcome a foot bruise this year while training? We'll see.

Tom
02-14-2015, 06:06 PM
He never wins another Graded stake.
3 starts tops, then retirement.

I used my Magic 8 Ball for this one. :rolleyes:

horses4courses
05-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Reports on Twitter that PM will miss the Met

Deirdre B. Biles ‏@DBethBiles 14m14 minutes ago
Palace Malice will not run in Metropolitan Handicap on June 6, according to Cot Campbell. Will point instead for Whitney Stakes in Aug.

Cratos
05-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Reports on Twitter that PM will miss the Met
Looking at Curlin's progeny from afar they appear to be prone to some sort of disability; Palace Malice, Run on Curlin, and Top Billing are top horses sired by Curlin fell by injury.

horses4courses
05-25-2015, 10:09 PM
He never wins another Graded stake.
3 starts tops, then retirement.

I used my Magic 8 Ball for this one. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking you have this one pegged ;)

cj
05-25-2015, 10:45 PM
I really hope I'm wrong, but I said after his last race before "retirement" that he was done. That was that day, before it was every mentioned he was being retired. The race was too bad to believe something wasn't seriously amiss.

letswastemoney
05-25-2015, 11:55 PM
From reading a Facebook group, supposedly not even the groom knew they were not running in the Met Mile. The horse must be in good health...just lost a step.

classhandicapper
05-26-2015, 01:52 PM
This is starting to look like it could turn out to be a wasted year.

Tom
05-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Bayern - dead last
Chrome - out of the country
Shared Belief - hurt
Palace Malice - ???

So much the great handicap division so far.

raybo
05-27-2015, 02:07 AM
This is starting to look like it could turn out to be a wasted year.

True, unless we get the TC winner we've all been waiting so long for. :)

powerrun
05-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Bayern - dead last
Chrome - out of the country
Shared Belief - hurt
Palace Malice - ???

So much the great handicap division so far.

I hear you, Tom. Very disappointing to say the least. Hopefully we can see Shared Belief soon...

Cratos
05-28-2015, 02:46 PM
I hear you, Tom. Very disappointing to say the least. Hopefully we can see Shared Belief soon...
If this was August I might agree with you, but there is more top racing meets (Del Mar, Saratoga, Belmont Fall Meet, Keeneland & the Breeders' Cup; and Churchill Downs Fall Meet) left in this racing year.

raybo
05-28-2015, 03:29 PM
I agree, it's unfortunate that the top 3 yos from 2014 did not carry that rivalry forward into 2015. Bayern's lengthy layoff after the BCC, and his quarter crack keeping him out of the World Cup certainly must have had some affect in his 6th place finish on the Derby day undercard. CC's World Cup effort and the decision to continue running him overseas, took any hopes of a continued rivalry completely out of reach. Shared Belief's injury in the CT Classic further clouds the prospect. Moreno took a 3 month layoff following the BCC, where he finished 14th, then came back for a 2nd, lengths behind Shared Belief who did not even race all the way to the wire, indicated that Moreno either needed that race or is not up to Shared Belief's ability. In his next start he was 3rd, behind Call Me George and Albano, seems to indicate that Moreno cannot be considered one of the top horses from that 2014 3yo crop. His finally getting a win in his last start, most will agree, was by default due to Shared Belief being injured and eased.

It's a shame that all these things have conspired against American racing fans' hope for some great racing between those 2014 3 yos. This year could have been a truly fantastic year of racing between those 4 yos and the current 3 yo crop. Just a shame! :(

Tom
05-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Champions used to string together 2-3-4 years of top level races.
Now they are lucky to string together 2-3 races.

Not to forget that last year's 3yo crop looked so good because there was nothing left of the older horses, so what we long for this year is a return of the second stringers. :rolleyes:

raybo
05-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Champions used to string together 2-3-4 years of top level races.
Now they are lucky to string together 2-3 races.

Not to forget that last year's 3yo crop looked so good because there was nothing left of the older horses, so what we long for this year is a return of the second stringers. :rolleyes:

I agree to a point. If those "older horses" had been around to run against the "second stringers" those races could have been run differently, not necessarily meaning that the outcomes would have been different. We simply will never know if those "second stringers" were really second stringers. We can surmise and opine, but we do not know for sure.

horses4courses
08-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Palace Malice worked well at the Spa this morning.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/palace-malice-fires-bullet-work-at-saratoga/

EMD4ME
08-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Would like to see Palice Malice come back to health and top form. Another very good horse who was Pletcherized.

EMD4ME
08-06-2015, 08:42 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/palace-malice-returns-in-the-alydar-stakes-at-saratoga/

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkk.....With the Woodward and BCC in mind........

Grits
08-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Keep something in mind, EMD.

This is Pletcher. This ain't Michael Dickinson.

EMD4ME
08-06-2015, 08:58 PM

I know, he has already been Pletcherized. I figure if a horse can live through Pletcherization, he can be 1 TOUGH SOB.

horses4courses
08-06-2015, 08:58 PM

Valid point.
Of all the strengths Pletcher has as a trainer,
rehabilitation is not high on the list.

I thought PM's comeback race at 6 furlongs was pretty good, though.

We'll see.......

cj
08-07-2015, 11:19 AM

Post of the year.

Tall One
08-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Multiple Grade I winner Palace Malice has been retired from racing and will stand stud at Three Chimneys Farm for the 2016 season, Dogwood Stable and Three Chimneys announced Thursday.

That's all, folks.