PDA

View Full Version : Freehold: Feb. 13

Teach
02-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Race One:

On this triskaidekaphobia day, race one is sort like what former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill referred to Russia as at the start of World War II: “…a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.” In simpler terms, nearly unfathomable. It’s like asking a chimpanzee to pick stocks. Anyway. Someone has to win. I’ve narrowed it down to four horses. Let me mention at this point that I’m thinking of just betting early doubles. Well, we gotta start somewhere. I’ll start inside with #1 My Ballerina. First, it’s going to be quite cold at Freehold today, and, I might add – quite windy. The “rail” may not be worst place to be. Yes, I know, the mare broke last time. But, in this nondescript field, anything can happen. #6 Arabella J is “the logical”. How logical? Yes, the filly’s faced better, but has yet to hit the tote in five tries. Decent time at Yonkers, but that’s a faster oval (more like a circle) than Freehold’s oval configuration. Outside post is not exactly a plus. Yet… Also, #4 Quikstartmyheart with Stacy “Tough As Nails” Chiodo. The filly looks like the early speed, but can she last? She backed down the second panel last time and still had to settle for “show-dough”. Finally, “The Harvard, (IL) Man,” Pat Berry, drives #2 Makemywishcometrue. The mare has run into a series of mediocre starting posts and wet tracks (board-less in six tries on wet surfaces); she now gets a better starting post and a fast surface.

Race Two:

Admittedly, not a lot of confidence here. I’m looking toward “The Inside” to complete the early double. Where do I start? #2 Look Annie Hall looks logical. Third start off a layoff. Has definitely needed her last two. Should, at the very least, be a “tote-hitter”. This mare figures to be there on her best; I base that mostly on her back-class when compared with the rest of this field. Others to consider here are: #4 Seboomook Princess gets a huge driver change from the owner-trainer to Eric Abbatiello. This driver change is a major plus in this filly’s chances. #1 Matties Gem fits in this company and gets a much improved starting post. Joe Bongiorno is a most capable reinsman. Finally, #3 Snake By The Rumba may just be rounding into form and could, on her best, complete a gimmick.

Race Three:

I’m gonna try to light up the tote-board. Before you call me abuelo loco and say: “Tu sei pazzo,” let me give you my thinking. The owner has been racing this trotter in the Billing amateur races. When the mare has raced in the regular races, she’s done quite well. There’s one race in particular at Tioga in upstate New York. I’m willing to invest a “bob or two” to find out if she’s the real deal. #6 Sam's Honeybee. Others to consider are: #5 Blazin Benny with Vinny Fusco. The gelding reeled off four straight before being beaten by slightly better. The gelding should be out and going off the gate. Then there’s #3 Celebrity Playboy with “Irish” Joe Hanney. This gelding was second in his last; he can certainly be part of the mix. Finally, #1 Fat Boy turned in a decent time in his last. Closest to the “pegs” will help.

Race Four:

Again, my tendency here is to look “inside” for a winner. In this superfecta race, I’m leaning toward the #1 A and G’s Design. The mare draws an improved post. She’s certainly a major factor from her “rail” starting post. Also, #2 Twin B Bikini will also benefit from an inside starting post. Could rival the top choice. #4 Albanian Era is another mare to be reckoned with. Some very speedy times, albeit at The Meadowlands. Finally, #3 GE’s Jody. May be a bit overmatched; yet to complete a gimmick.

Race Five:

In this trot, I’m going with a medium longshot, #2 Little Man Rules. The gelding is stepping up; yet, he did win his last race impressively. He should be “on the engine”. #4 Justanotherspur was overmatched in in his last two at The Meadowlands. But now, against these, he has a shot of completing an exotic. #5 Somolli Pirate is another horse who’s been toiling against better – without much success – at The Meadowlands and Philly. Now, here, with these, he might surprise. Finally, #6 Muscleslikesparty fits well in this company and does have a chance of garnering a minor award. Steve Smith in the bike’s a plus.

Race Six:

I’m going to give my tepid, lukewarm nod to the #2 Lark Seelster. The 5-year-old mare won her last easily. Admittedly, it was against softer company. Yet at her best this mare can prevail. Eric Abbatiello in the bike’s a plus. #6 Bijou Theater is the main threat (I believe the Bongiorno-Sodano duo combined for a second at “The Big M” last night). Yet, the Art Major-bred mare may need a race. #5 Life of Smiley won her last. She’s faced better in the past. Finally, #4 Little Miss Henry put in a solid qualifier. She’s another horse who may need a race or two to reach peak form. Yet she might she complete a gimmick.

Race Seven:

#4 Michael’s Wild Boy is my pick in this trot. Raced well in his last at The Meadowlands despite the outside starting post. The red-hot Joe Bongiorno’s in the sulky for the very capable conditioner, Bruce Lauer. Also in the mix are: #6 Without A Clue has been installed as the morning line even-money fave. I’m not sure I’d go that overboard about this gelding’s chances. Oh, he’s a contender; however, far from a cinch to get all the enchiladas. Then, there’s #2 Hailstorm Volo. This Classic Photo-bred gelding definitely fits in this company. Jim marshall is one of the best handler of trotters on the grounds. Finally, #5 Russell The Muscle with Eric Abbatiello is very much a factor in this field.

Race Eight:

#2 Smoke Pan Mirrors ships in from The Meadowlands where she faced better. Now, at Freehold, with this company, she has a chance. Jim morohn, Jr. in the bike’s a plus. Others: #5 Young American had a very good qualifier at Yonkers. Seems ready. If so, this Artsplace-bred mare should contend. Others to consider are: #3 Ariadne Hanover. She’s faced much better at Yonkers and #1 Blue Monster. She won her last against softer.

Race Nine:

It’s another “inside” preference here. #2 Yummy Sushi looks like “the horse” Dave Pinkney (I remember when he campaigned at Foxboro Raceway) is in the bike. With any kind of trip this Rocknroll Hanover-bred mare can prevail. Others are: #1 Endless Desire has been third in her last two in this company. #4 Brickyard Suz will be out and going off the gate. Should be in the mix. Finally, #3 Polished Perfection has finished third in her last two.

Race Ten:

#1 Wine Market with Eric Abbatiello gets my nod in this one. No lead-pipe cinch, but she’s certainly a major factor. Has not had a win in a month of Sundays, but today could be the day. #6 Dawg’s Buddy is stepping down for Steve Smith and trainer Karen Garland. Just might surprise at a decent price. #3 AlwaysaFirstTime is another mare who’s faced better. Should be considered in your gimmicks. Finally, #2 Red Feather is most capable of completing an exotic.

Race Eleven:

#3 Miss Behave. Will she or won’t she? Misbehave, that this. If she doesn’t. Say goodnight! Katy Bar The Door! We may not know till the pacers have reached the half. Iffy. Questionable. Yet… Others. #4 Golden Fizz is most logical and consistent; yet I’m pegging her for second. Then, there’s #5 Full Explosion. Most capable of being part of a super. Finally, #8 Algebra might add value to a gimmick.