PDA

View Full Version : Great Young Riders

GatetoWire
02-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Over the last 2 months it's hard not to be impressed by the quality of riding that some of the young jocks have put in.

Irad and Jose Ortiz, Manny Franco and Edgard Zayas are all in their early 20's and all 4 sit in the top 15 in North America so far in the Jockey standings.

Wondering if these 4 don't become the top riders in the game over the next 5-10 years. Such talent at such a young age.

horses4courses
02-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Joe Talamo is top class out West.
Not sure that I can endorse too many others - yet.

Robert Fischer
02-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Ortiz brothers are clearly getting every opportunity.

I haven't played enough recently to have a book on them. From my limited perspective they seem fairly solid.

Zayas actually did happen to impress me the other day. He was riding a favorite in a big turf race, and the pace began to slow down. Zayas refused to be boxed-in or denied an outside escape-route, all without moving prematurely. While that one ride happened to be an elite level ride, I don't know whether that is a consistent level.

GatetoWire
02-12-2015, 11:27 PM
Joe Talamo is top class out West.
Not sure that I can endorse too many others - yet.

Yep, I sometimes forget that Talamo is only 25 too. Funny that I don't consider him young anymore when he is really only 4 or 5 yrs older than these guys.

v j stauffer
02-13-2015, 12:16 AM
19 year old Ricardo Gonzalez who currently rides at Golden Gate Fields has a massive future.

gheuks
02-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Trevor McCarthy.. he is on the shelf for a bit, but when healthy, there's nobody better on the Pimlico/Laurel circuit.

FrankieFigs
02-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Ortiz brothers are clearly getting every opportunity.

I haven't played enough recently to have a book on them. From my limited perspective they seem fairly solid.

Zayas actually did happen to impress me the other day. He was riding a favorite in a big turf race, and the pace began to slow down. Zayas refused to be boxed-in or denied an outside escape-route, all without moving prematurely. While that one ride happened to be an elite level ride, I don't know whether that is a consistent level.

He has caught my eye as well. Been riding well against a usually strong winter jockey colony at Gulfstream. Wondering if he stays in Florida or moves north after the "championship" meet....

Trevor McCarthy is another I like. And Draden Van Dyke isn't too bad since losing his bug.

River11
02-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Not a week goes by that I don't think about this kid. He was going to be a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGs1QUtvRlI

Robert Fischer
02-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Zayas

about to try to coax a quitter around the track at Gulfstream in a couple minutes. :3:

should tell a lot

post race = Rude awakening in that race (silver fog 2/15). Questionable decision to try to trust the horse and ask to go to the lead, eventually overhauled roughly. Castellano ended up in a tougher position with a different weak finisher and actually did more with his horse in spite of also finishing out of the top3. Hard to tell a whole lot with that weak of a performance from the horse, but no miracles were worked.

mannyberrios
02-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Over the last 2 months it's hard not to be impressed by the quality of riding that some of the young jocks have put in.

Irad and Jose Ortiz, Manny Franco and Edgard Zayas are all in their early 20's and all 4 sit in the top 15 in North America so far in the Jockey standings.

Wondering if these 4 don't become the top riders in the game over the next 5-10 years. Such talent at such a young age.
Victor Carrasco is solid also,