PDA

View Full Version : Hows that war on ISIL going?

ArlJim78
02-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Sept 10th 2014 Obama addresses the nation about his war on ISIL

This strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years.

Feb 11th 2015

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department has closed the U.S. Embassy in Yemen and evacuated its staff because of the political crisis and security concerns following the takeover of much of the country by Shiite rebels.

http://news.yahoo.com/amid-political-instability-us-closes-embassy-yemen-082614687--politics.html

Tom
02-11-2015, 01:39 PM
Yesterday, Global Warming was a bigger threat and the news media was sensationalizing reports of terror.

Today, he asks for approval for military action.

Certifiable.

JustRalph
02-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Obama has directed 97 percent of air strikes against ISIS

Kudos.

One General described our pace as glacial. In one day Jordon had as many air strikes as the U.S. does in a week.

I might question the motivation.

GaryG
02-11-2015, 03:19 PM
I just saw where they are considering "limited ground actions". That sounds like Vietnam and everything since. If you put fighter planes in the air and troops on the ground the war should be balls to the wall with winning as the only objective. This means the use of any and all weapons at our disposal. That ain't gonna happen. Our muslim prez will make a token show of force but nothing substantial. R I P America, you had a great run.

Tom
02-11-2015, 03:22 PM
He is positioning himself in the Middle East.
To fight Global Warming when it gets there.
That is a larger threat than terrorism.

Does anyone really want to go to war with this idiot in charge?

Robert Goren
02-11-2015, 06:12 PM
He is having the same results(probably better) as we had in Vietnam without getting a hundred American soldiers killed a week. This is a war for the soul of the Arab people. To be successful, the Arabs must be the ones doing the fighting on the ground. We can go in and conquer a bunch of land and bribe some key groups not to fight us, but that will not stop the terrorists. The terrorists will stop coming when they feel the American lifestyle is not worth fighting and not until. This revelation must come from the Arab people. We can not impose it on them. Obama is smart enough to know this. Hawks like McCain think you can change minds with a gun. You can not. You never could. All you can do is conquer the land they live on.

fast4522
02-11-2015, 07:31 PM
RG fast forward ten years, in a world that water is scarce, grain needs that water to nourish the poor do not expect there to be a shortage terrorists. The royals are building modern large cities that the educated will have a place to exist. All resources will be diverted to those cities and the poor Arabs worst dreams will be realized, not for their soul but business as usual. A truly ugly sand nap for many.

davew
02-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Yemen embassy left with vehicles. Marines surrender guns to rebels as they leave country, as per state department orders.

The presidents strategy is to help the hoochies take over middle east.

Clocker
02-12-2015, 03:06 PM
USMC says no weapons were turned over to anyone. Marines left the embassy with their personal weapons. All other weapons left behind were destroyed. At the airport, the Marines destroyed their personal weapons before boarding the aircraft.

This is the part that is hard to understand. They had to destroy their weapons because they were flying commercial. Why were we evacuating an embassy via commercial aircraft? On the other hand, the story says that the Marines were operating under State Dept. orders, which can explain any level of bizarre action.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/02/11/rpt-marines-ordered-turn-over-weapons-during-yemen-evacuation

JustRalph
02-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Destroying weapons

A Dem's wet dream

RunForTheRoses
02-12-2015, 08:01 PM
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/02/isis-seizes-al-baghdadi-iraq-300-us-marines-in-jeopardy/

classhandicapper
02-12-2015, 08:25 PM
I'm looking forward to the world becoming energy independent of the region just so we can wash our hands of them for about 500 years until they catch up to the rest of us.

Tom
02-12-2015, 10:44 PM
We have lost the war on terror.
It is official.

ArlJim78
02-16-2015, 09:54 AM
and now we see the brilliance of our illegal and shortsided military mission in Libya a few years ago. IS took the money, the weapons and now another country in chaos and more territory under control.
Anyone seeing the pattern here?

Clocker
02-16-2015, 10:28 AM
Obama has directed 97 percent of air strikes against ISIS

Kudos.

One General described our pace as glacial. In one day Jordon had as many air strikes as the U.S. does in a week.

I might question the motivation.

Obama says the goal is to "degrade and destroy" ISIS. I guess "degrade" means to demote them back to JV status. Is "degrade" current military jargon? When he says "degrade and destroy", he sounds like someone tossing around technical terminology, trying to show that he is an expert in a field he knows nothing about.

Whatever "degrade" means, I see no sign that we are doing anything to accomplish that. Whatever it means, the "degrade" stage looks like it will last well past January, 2017, and will have to be finished up by the next tenant of the Oval Office.

So the motivation is the same as that of any short timer. Show up, collect your check, and count down the days until you are out of there.

Tom
02-16-2015, 10:46 AM
He is on top of the situation.
Played an extra 9 holes Sunday.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 12:24 PM
It looks like the administration is finally taking terrorism seriously, and actually plans to take action.

How does the United States government plan on countering Islamic terrorism? By calling a summit.

That's what White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough told CBS' Bob Schieffer on Sunday's Face the Nation.

"We are scheduling a summit late in the week, a three-day summit at the State Department on countering violent extremism," McDonough said in response to the latest terror attack in Denmark.

McDonough was interviewed by Schieffer on Saturday after the first deadly attack against a free speech event in Copenhagen, but before the same gunman killed a Jewish security guard at the city's main synagogue hours later.

Speaking for the United States, McDonough said, "We've obviously made clear that we abhor this and will not let these kinds of attacks stand."

These "kinds of attacks" are carefully scripted by the White House to be acts of extremism, not Islamic terrorism specifically. And their preferred method of dealing with these extremists is apparently by calling summits.

But McDonough has confidence that a summit will ensure that the U.S. government is way ahead of the terrorists:

"We know that AQAP, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, has plans to do things like this around the world. So we want to make sure that we're staying one step ahead of them."
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/white-house-vows-combat-terrorism-calling-summit

So they are calling a summit to develop plans to stay one step ahead of the terrorists. Which seems to me to be a blatant admission that they don't have any plans right now, and that they know that they are not ahead of the terrorists. Oops, I said terrorists. I meant violent extremists. Not to be confused with armed insurgents.

classhandicapper
02-16-2015, 12:45 PM
It looks like the administration is finally taking terrorism seriously, and actually plans to take action.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/white-house-vows-combat-terrorism-calling-summit

So they are calling a summit to develop plans to stay one step ahead of the terrorists. Which seems to me to be a blatant admission that they don't have any plans right now, and that they know that they are not ahead of the terrorists. Oops, I said terrorists. I meant violent extremists. Not to be confused with armed insurgents.

The level of incompetence is mind boggling, but totally understandable.

When you are delusional about the real world and how it works, why would you feel the need to prepare for aggressive opposition if your world view is that these problems can solved by talking it out and giving your enemies a big hug. :bang:

They think everything is a minor disagreement between rational intelligent human beings looking to compromise. They don't understand that some people are trying to get 100% of what they want and will kill you to get it done.

They are flat out idiots.

ArlJim78
02-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Egypt and Jordan are dropping bombs.

Obama is hosting a summit which will no doubt include IS supporting Islamic front-groups and gauzy language about high horses, the crusades and how peaceful Islam is.

Egypt was not included in our "coalition" against ISIS of course, and yet they are taking the lead in actually knocking them out in Libya, all the while Obama is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood who was booted out of Egypt and labeled a terrorist group.
Which side are we on again?

davew
02-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Egypt and Jordan are dropping bombs.

Obama is hosting a summit which will no doubt include IS supporting Islamic front-groups and gauzy language about high horses, the crusades and how peaceful Islam is.

Egypt was not included in our "coalition" against ISIS of course, and yet they are taking the lead in actually knocking them out in Libya, all the while Obama is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood who was booted out of Egypt and labeled a terrorist group.
Which side are we on again?

I thought 0bama was golfing in California?

ISIS does seem to be getting a large hold of northern Africa.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 02:33 PM
I thought 0bama was golfing in California?

McDonough said they were having a summit, he didn't say anything about Obama attending. He has people for that. High powered people like Susan Rice.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 02:41 PM
One of the premier moonbats in the liberal media these days is Sally Kohn. Apparently she has it all figured out. The administration needs to be sure to invite her to the summit.

One of the self-described "leading progressive voices in America," CNN commentator and DailyBeast columnist Sally Kohn, thinks we shouldn’t bomb ISIS because “that’s the exact reaction ISIS wants”—and, besides, the Bible tells us not to.

Full story here:
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/sally-kohn-we-shouldnt-bomb-isis-because-thats-what-they-want-us-do-and-bible-tells-us-not

tucker6
02-16-2015, 02:56 PM
One of the premier moonbats in the liberal media these days is Sally Kohn. Apparently she has it all figured out. The administration needs to be sure to invite her to the summit.

Full story here:
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/sally-kohn-we-shouldnt-bomb-isis-because-thats-what-they-want-us-do-and-bible-tells-us-not
Moonbat is right. Holy cow!! :bang:

davew
02-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Another person who should head over there and explain to them how to be good.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 07:02 PM
The White House issued a statement condemning the "murder of twenty-one Egyptian citizens in Libya by ISIL-affiliated terrorists". The statement carefully avoids mentioning that the terrorists are Islamist extremists, or that the "Egyptian citizens" were killed because they were Christians. Apparently the White House considers neither detail to be relevant.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/02/15/statement-press-secretary-murder-egyptian-citizens

ArlJim78
02-16-2015, 07:43 PM
The White House issued a statement condemning the "murder of twenty-one Egyptian citizens in Libya by ISIL-affiliated terrorists". The statement carefully avoids mentioning that the terrorists are Islamist extremists, or that the "Egyptian citizens" were killed because they were Christians. Apparently the White House considers neither detail to be relevant.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/02/15/statement-press-secretary-murder-egyptian-citizens
Of course, they were just some folks who ran into some random violence at the beach.

Clocker
02-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Of course, they were just some folks who ran into some random violence at the beach.

I think they were attacked by land sharks.

Robert Goren
02-16-2015, 10:05 PM
Of course, they were just some folks who ran into some random violence at the beach.Actually your sarcasm is pretty close to the truth. 21 Egyptians were killed, 12 were Coptic, 9 were not. They don't seem to care much who they kill. The good news is that countries in the Middle East are beginning to act. If we are to rid the world of ISIS, it will have to be countries in the region that do. American troops on the ground will just fuel more converts. Nobody like to have their country occuplied. I do not understand how the right fails to grasp that universal truth.

classhandicapper
02-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Nobody like to have their country occuplied. I do not understand how the right fails to grasp that universal truth.

I agree with you on this, but we also need to get past the idea that if we are kind to them and compromise they will suddenly turn into sheep. These are emotionally twisted people. They view kindness, compromise, etc... as weakness to be exploited.