PDA

View Full Version : Wave and pay hacked

DJofSD
02-10-2015, 11:40 AM
http://abc7chicago.com/technology/secretly-swiped-your-account-numbers-taken-out-of-thin-air/510920/

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2015, 01:54 PM
I can't understand how some people can be shocked anymore, as that person interviewed for that piece ("I'm shocked!")

Why? :lol: :bang:

DJofSD
02-10-2015, 01:56 PM
I can't understand how some people can be shocked anymore, as that person interviewed for that piece ("I'm shocked!")

Why? :lol: :bang:
Don't know, however, there's ignorance and then there's stupidity. Your choice.

thaskalos
02-10-2015, 02:00 PM
I have yet to see a single valid argument for the "cashless society" concept which is being forced down our throats. Identity theft is better than the "inconvenience" of paying with cash?

Clocker
02-10-2015, 02:03 PM
I have yet to see a single valid argument for the "cashless society" concept which is being forced down our throats. Identity theft is better than the "inconvenience" of paying with cash?

The inconvenience of cash is the inability of the government to track it.

thaskalos
02-10-2015, 02:09 PM
The inconvenience of cash is the inability of the government to track it.
Yes...but can't the average citizen see that? Where is the outrage which usually comes with the idea of being spied upon? Are we nothing but sheep?

iceknight
02-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Yes...but can't the average citizen see that? Where is the outrage which usually comes with the idea of being spied upon? Are we nothing but sheep?Of course they cannot. They believe everything that is fed to them or they are too busy fighting bills and trying to make wages ...or playing candycrush on their "smartphone"

thaskalos
02-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Of course they cannot. They believe everything that is fed to them or they are too busy fighting bills and trying to make wages ...or playing candycrush on their "smartphone"
We forgot that true freedom comes with a price tag...

Clocker
02-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Yes...but can't the average citizen see that? Where is the outrage which usually comes with the idea of being spied upon? Are we nothing but sheep?

The average citizen isn't affected by things like this from day to day, with growing numbers having income directly deposited and paying bills on line. And apparently no politician on either side of the aisle is concerned about it enough to raise the issue.

And there is a growing generational problem as the younger folks know less and less about a non-digital world, or the unintended consequences of the digital world. They are used to doing everything on line, and have a much different view of privacy and of how things are done.

A relative told me that he had to periodically check his teenage daughter's wastebasket, because she would throw away coins that were too much trouble to carry around. The inconvenience of cash is already a reality for many.

A little off topic, but symptomatic of the privacy issue, I just saw a story about a young woman who posted on social media whining about the really crappy job she was starting tomorrow. This was soon followed by a post from her future boss that she no longer had to worry about showing up for the crappy job. Privacy is a dying concept.

DJofSD
02-10-2015, 02:47 PM
For that young lady that no longer has a job, it's not so much about privacy as it is stupidity. And I'm sure she'll play the role of the victim. :bang: :bang: