PDA

View Full Version : Java Updates?

Flysofree
02-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Did anyone get one of these today? The world runs on Java :) .. I did it...Seems harmless as I have been getting them for years on end and don't recall any particular problems., so long as you check the button not to allow "ask" or whatever that is to be your go to search thing...

Sometimes....I wonder what would happen,, if I never updated a java update? They seem ok is all I'm saying.

HUSKER55
02-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Grandkids come over time to time to make reports for high school and college. Their text books always seem to come with a CD and they download them and make notes during class on their ipads, phones...whatever. At the end of the week they come over and do their lessons.

They use it because a lot of their "systems" run on it so I keep them updated.

I don't seem to see it making any difference for me but then again...I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer on this stuff.

FWIW
:)

Flysofree
02-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks Husker.... At least I'm not alone... They must be a teaching tool of some sort. Appreciated!

Clocker
02-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Sometimes....I wonder what would happen,, if I never updated a java update?

Most likely, sooner or later, you would try to open something and get an error message saying that it can't open because your version of Java is not up to date.

It seems like I get a Java update message about once a week, and I only let it update every 4th or 5th time, and I never have a problem.

Flysofree
02-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Whatever it is they do....They've sure nailed it with their slogan:

The world runs on java... :D

TonyMLake
02-09-2015, 11:36 PM
If you're going to use anything written in JAVA, it's probably a good idea to keep it updated because the updates include security updates as often as they include anything else.

DJofSD
02-10-2015, 08:59 AM
If you're going to use anything written in JAVA, it's probably a good idea to keep it updated because the updates include security updates as often as they include anything else.
What he said.

forced89
02-10-2015, 09:31 AM

If not, delete it from your computer. I did this about a year ago and haven't missed it.

Flysofree
02-10-2015, 10:12 AM
If not, delete it from your computer. I did this about a year ago and haven't missed it.

I thought about that, but there are so many angles....Toteboards at TwinSpires...Downloads with Quick Horse, Past Performances from Bris and DRF etc etc..What about anything to do with online banking or bill pay or credit cards... Just one time and I'll KNOW FOR SURE THE WORLD RUNS ON JAVA!! That's what I mean about all these updates. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. I never hesitate for Windows Updates.... but most of the time I am lost.. I fell fairly safe with Adobe but usually don't do it the first time it's offered..

Marshall Bennett
02-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Weather radar.

Ocala Mike
02-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Very leary about updating anything any more, because I never know if the message is from a "trusted" site or not. How does one tell for sure? I downloaded a seemingly inocuous update for something (Adobe?) a couple of weeks ago, and had to send my computer to the ER because it became badly infected.

forced89
02-11-2015, 09:18 AM
I thought about that, but there are so many angles....Toteboards at TwinSpires...Downloads with Quick Horse, Past Performances from Bris and DRF etc etc..What about anything to do with online banking or bill pay or credit cards... ...

My Java is gone and I have no problems with Twin Spires, Bris PP, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. Actually in the year I have been without Java I have not had a single problem. I have Adobe set where I get updates automatically whenever Adobe decides to send them. Again, zero problems.

Flysofree
02-11-2015, 10:20 AM
My Java is gone and I have no problems with Twin Spires, Bris PP, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. Actually in the year I have been without Java I have not had a single problem. I have Adobe set where I get updates automatically whenever Adobe decides to send them. Again, zero problems.

Thanks, I think that will help me take my computer back. May do the same!

As far as Adobe, I recognized one that was a fake update maybe 1-2 yrs ago and did not download it.. The colors were just slightly off to me....or there was something about it that looked suspicious.... You do have to watch out for the bad guys. But it never ends.. Now Anthem -(Blue Cross) has info exposed. If they would hang cyber crooks for the first offense then maybe, but locked away in a room in some foreign country, there doesn't appear to be an answer. These security companies Norton Mcafee, etc etc etc...make a killing and really don't do the whole job. Better than nothing.

DJofSD
02-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks, I think that will help me take my computer back. May do the same!

As far as Adobe, I recognized one that was a fake update maybe 1-2 yrs ago and did not download it.. The colors were just slightly off to me....or there was something about it that looked suspicious.... You do have to watch out for the bad guys. But it never ends.. Now Anthem -(Blue Cross) has info exposed. If they would hang cyber crooks for the first offense then maybe, but locked away in a room in some foreign country, there doesn't appear to be an answer. These security companies Norton Mcafee, etc etc etc...make a killing and really don't do the whole job. Better than nothing.

The companies like Norton, etc., fill a need. At best, their offerings are to be considered a defensive response, IOW, the can only "raise the shields" and they can not go after the malware creators or plug the holes in the software or sites. It is up to the end user to use caution.

The people at Anthem should be taken out and summarily shot -- I am not kidding. The worse thing they did was failing to encryption at least SSN's -- things were left in plain text and wide open.

Flysofree
02-11-2015, 11:35 AM
That is incredible in this day and age a company of Their size! Wow I am SHOCKED.... This was not some mom and pop corner store!!! Wow...Someone at the top should be shot, I agree!!!