PDA

View Full Version : Chrome to Dubai, Shared Belief to SA H'cap

horses4courses
02-08-2015, 07:31 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/shared-belief-sticking-around-for-big-cap-chrome-headed-to-dubai/#.VNfVa0ftHhs.facebook

Donttellmeshowme
02-08-2015, 08:37 PM
dont know if i like the idea of him going to Dubai.

Cratos
02-08-2015, 08:44 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/shared-belief-sticking-around-for-big-cap-chrome-headed-to-dubai/#.VNfVa0ftHhs.facebook
This is a good decision for both horses and their connections.

CC is not regally bred and he is not from a "breeding state" even though he is the reigning HOTY I don't see big stud fees coming his way. Orb who won the Ky Derby last year and is better bred than CC have a stud fee of $25k; CC's stud fee when he goes to stud will be somewhere south of that figure.

Therefore it is incumbent for his connections to seek big purses and Dubai is a whopper at $10 million.

On the other hand, Shared Belief is a gelding and only 4yos; he can wait until 2016 while hopefully winning some significant purses at home.

horses4courses
02-08-2015, 08:44 PM
dont know if i like the idea of him going to Dubai.

They are picking the low lying fruit.
Can't blame them, really.
No Shared Belief this time, just BCC runner-up Toast Of New York.

The trip out there and the race should be fine.
It's how the horse recovers after it that's the question.

maclr11
02-08-2015, 11:29 PM
Someone on Twitter noted it didn't seem to hurt Curlin who came back to win the Foster, Woodward and Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Royal Delta came back from Dubai in 2012 and rattled off 4 graded stakes wins In 5 races including the ladies classic

I can't wait for the World Cup. Going to be huge.

olddaddy
02-08-2015, 11:53 PM

I believe his worries will come from the far east pacific coast.

Rex Phinney
02-09-2015, 12:24 AM
No way he wins in Dubai. No chance. His owners are seeing green, as in money. And we've all seen how this story ends. IMO he will never win another stakes race.

FantasticDan
02-09-2015, 01:05 AM
dont know if i like the idea of him going to Dubai.Sherman doesn't like it either:

http://www.horseraceinsider.com/On-The-Line/02042015-when-it-comes-to-the-sport-art-sherman-gets-it/

maclr11
02-09-2015, 02:01 AM
No way he wins in Dubai. No chance. His owners are seeing green, as in money. And we've all seen how this story ends. IMO he will never win another stakes race.

He is going to be the favorite for 10 million on a speed favoring dirt surface. How do you pass that up?

The field will be top notch though

California Chrome
Toast of New York
Tonalist
Candy Boy (already in Dubai training)
Constitution (under consideration after Donn win)
Ron the Greek
Hokko Tarumae (best Japanese dirt horse in training)
The local hopefuls. Surfer, Prince Bishop, Frankyfourfingers,
Lea is under consideration
Epiphaneia will be in here or the turf and he won the Japan Cup rather easily
Red Cadeaux could be back for more

The return to dirt has made this very very exciting

nijinski
02-09-2015, 02:02 AM
Someone on Twitter noted it didn't seem to hurt Curlin who came back to win the Foster, Woodward and Jockey Club Gold Cup.

Royal Delta came back from Dubai in 2012 and rattled off 4 graded stakes wins In 5 races including the ladies classic

I can't wait for the World Cup. Going to be huge.

Curlin had two big wins and then time off .Had a prep race there before the Cup . He seemed to ne at the top of his game at the end of his three yr old
season and the beginning of age four .

Royal Delta's trips were not successful , guess she likes it better here ., lol.

Would Chrome even have time for a prep ? Totally different scenario for Chrome . I hope he stays home .

taxicab
02-09-2015, 02:20 AM

Chrome will be the morning line favorite or second choice in the DWC.
He just ran a great race against Shared Belief,setting him up nicely for Dubai.
Plus he's a great shipper.
The owners should not be criticized for running for 10 million......that's exactly what they should do with a horse of this caliber.
And yeah, we all saw how this story ended in 2014.......HOY. :eek:

Frost king
02-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Of course he will be the favourite, there is no betting allowed in Dubai. The North American money will drive the odds in the pools. As of right now Chrome is the biggest bet against in the race. He will be no value, with suspect form. Will you bet a horse, that has not won a dirt race since May, has a trainer not happy with the idea of flying to the desert. Would you take 2-1 or less on this horse?

Robert Fischer
02-09-2015, 09:23 AM
I'll be following along with interest. These are both horses that I like, and both are popular horses with significance in the betting, and both races are usually pretty cool. :ThmbUp:

As far as these horses campaigns? - I honestly do not have enough insight to criticize (or praise) the stated goals. I'm obviously not a person that's hesitant to speak about racing topics, and I'm never shy about disagreeing with popular opinion. However, I simply don't know anything special about campaigning these horses. I'll just follow along with the news. :ThmbUp:

burnsy
02-09-2015, 09:52 AM

The trip out there and the race should be fine.
It's how the horse recovers after it that's the question.

It will be interesting, good luck to CC. But your point is the million dollar question. He will probably have to rest and repeat the same pattern as last year. Its a deal where I don't think he was 100% late in the season due to the lack of races before the BC Classic. The trainer (and Jock) even admitted that he was a race short coming into the Classic. Its hard to bypass a race like that but he will have to take time off after. To me, that horse seems to be better campaigning.

Rex Phinney
02-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Chrome will be the morning line favorite or second choice in the DWC.
He just ran a great race against Shared Belief,setting him up nicely for Dubai.
Plus he's a great shipper.
The owners should not be criticized for running for 10 million......that's exactly what they should do with a horse of this caliber.
And yeah, we all saw how this story ended in 2014.......HOY. :eek:

I don't care if he is 1/9, that just means there are a bunch of people throwing their money away.

By the time this race goes off it will be 10 months since this horse won a race on dirt. Did his run Saturday make you think he wants more distance??? He was short in a 9 furlong race with no pace to it.

Did you see how it ended in Pennsylvania? The last time his owners decided to chase a big paycheck (and everyone with half a brain knew you don't bring a horse back from a layoff in that spot)? This horses career is going to end like Mine that Bird, with dingbat owners thinking his next derby score is just a race away.

The same partner that was holding out for a ransom check from Del Mar (publicly) is the one who has decided to send him to Dubai. This isn't even a decision they should be making until the horse gets a work in after his previous race. Their trainer knows it, but the probably quit listening to him long ago.

burnsy
02-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Rex makes some good points. But you can't really tell people how to race their horses. In the interview with Cusano on the OTB channel you could tell he didn't really like the idea of going there. The owner is the boss though. You can't do anything about him being a short price either. American horses are notoriously over bet any way. I have had big days at Dubai by throwing out American horses at short prices......on the grass its usually a no brainer, horses with no shot take a ton. Even on the dirt and synth I think "fan" money makes the prices short because others (countries) send real monsters out there. We like to believe we have the best and at times on the dirt we do but the bettors seem to think its a cake walk over there and you can play that to your advantage. Just hope he runs well and comes out ok, of course someone like me will be looking elsewhere any way. I just hope for the best and try to make a good bet. I think its not a great move........but its not up to me or any of the other criticizers. At least he's still racing and that's the positive thing this year. These horses are sticking around and running.

classhandicapper
02-09-2015, 11:58 AM
If I owned these horses I would be more inclined to send Shared Belief to Dubai because he'd be a legitimate solid favorite in a 10m race.

If I owned California Chrome, I'd probably go to Dubai or do the opposite of whatever Shared Belief did. Of course, I'd hope SB didn't go to Dubai because I'd love to run for 10m over and not be against him. Even a 2nd or 3rd over there is huge.

As far as CC goes, I'm not sure he answered any questions definitively Saturday (at least for me).

He ran well, but I don't think he ran his peak race. That could have been because he was a hair short given the major goal is Dubai or it could have been because he hasn't really developed all that much from last year and this is what we should expect.

horses4courses
02-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Chrome is currently 8-1 with plenty of books in the UK.
That's a nice price, and you can back it up with a show bet at 8-5. :ThmbUp:
I could be firing up the PayPal a/c ;)

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/international/dubai-world-cup/winner

olddaddy
02-09-2015, 12:09 PM
The more american horses that go out there, the more value.

Cratos
02-09-2015, 01:19 PM
If I owned these horses I would be more inclined to send Shared Belief to Dubai because he'd be a legitimate solid favorite in a 10m race.

If I owned California Chrome, I'd probably go to Dubai or do the opposite of whatever Shared Belief did. Of course, I'd hope SB didn't go to Dubai because I'd love to run for 10m over and not be against him. Even a 2nd or 3rd over there is huge.

As far as CC goes, I'm not sure he answered any questions definitively Saturday (at least for me).

He ran well, but I don't think he ran his peak race. That could have been because he was a hair short given the major goal is Dubai or it could have been because he hasn't really developed all that much from last year and this is what we should expect.

I believe you made a typo and inserted "10m" in your post for the Dubai race distance; it should have been 2000m which is about 1-1/4 miles.

letswastemoney
02-09-2015, 01:20 PM
The more american horses that go out there, the more value.Maybe if the race was on synthetic.

Wilko and Brass Hat hit the board in the 2006 Dubai World Cup. Just how good does a horse have to be to run well in the dirt World Cup?

The recent method of throwing out the Americans is not going to work here.

A3klkRwRtIw

PhantomOnTour
02-09-2015, 01:26 PM
I believe you made a typo and inserted "10m" in your post for the Dubai race distance; it should have been 2000m which is about 1-1/4 miles.
I believe 10m means ten million (the purse of the DWC)

burnsy
02-09-2015, 01:33 PM
LOL...The more the merrier Old Daddy. Before it went synth, I used to crush that day with regularity. De Kock, O'brien and Goldophin. Its like printing money some years the way the Americans bet. With the real dirt sometimes even the "wrong" American horse would take too much money too. I'm glad its being switched back. Not gonna lie, I suck at synth tracks. But before that I gave out all my plays on here and they were pretty good.

Cratos
02-09-2015, 02:07 PM
I believe 10m means ten million (the purse of the DWC)
That might be correct, but symbolically 10m is 10meters and ten million in dollars are expressed as $10m.

whodoyoulike
02-09-2015, 02:27 PM
This is disappointing to me. But, I'm not criticizing the connections moves. It does provide a little more info on Espinoza's ride in the stretch.

I was thinking possible up coming matches with SB, CC, Bayern, Hop, a couple of others and maybe 1 or 2 top females (at least a field of 9) in the same races would help revive racing as we knew it.

GP (maybe should point for the last Saturday in April) and Sar (in the summer) should still attempt to make these match ups happen before BC races.

I forget, what happened to Bayern?

JohnGalt1
02-09-2015, 03:03 PM
How many horses, other than Cigar, that after returning from Dubai came back who didn't need a few races to get back to being in top form?

classhandicapper
02-09-2015, 03:11 PM

I meant 10 million. I was too lazy to type it out and assumed everyone would know I wasn't referring to distance given the context.

biggestal99
02-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Chrome is currently 8-1 with plenty of books in the UK.
That's a nice price, and you can back it up with a show bet at 8-5. :ThmbUp:
I could be firing up the PayPal a/c ;)

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/international/dubai-world-cup/winner

10-1 now.

Toast of new york getting some play at 6-1

Allan

taxicab
02-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Of course he will be the favourite, there is no betting allowed in Dubai. The North American money will drive the odds in the pools. As of right now Chrome is the biggest bet against in the race. He will be no value, with suspect form. Will you bet a horse, that has not won a dirt race since May, has a trainer not happy with the idea of flying to the desert. Would you take 2-1 or less on this horse?

Chrome is one of the top three betting choices in every European shop.
Those are the lines I was talking about.
Bayern is one of the others,and I'm starting to wonder if he's going to make the race.
And who cares who I'm betting on.....
If you're the owner of a Champion, and your horse is either going to be the first/second choice in a 10 million dollar race you run your horse.
If you don't care for the horse that's all good and well.
But the sharps that make these lines don't miss a thing.
You miss plenty.

zico20
02-09-2015, 05:25 PM
I don't care if he is 1/9, that just means there are a bunch of people throwing their money away.

By the time this race goes off it will be 10 months since this horse won a race on dirt. Did his run Saturday make you think he wants more distance??? He was short in a 9 furlong race with no pace to it.

Did you see how it ended in Pennsylvania? The last time his owners decided to chase a big paycheck (and everyone with half a brain knew you don't bring a horse back from a layoff in that spot)? This horses career is going to end like Mine that Bird, with dingbat owners thinking his next derby score is just a race away.

The same partner that was holding out for a ransom check from Del Mar (publicly) is the one who has decided to send him to Dubai. This isn't even a decision they should be making until the horse gets a work in after his previous race. Their trainer knows it, but the probably quit listening to him long ago.

CC was a short horse Saturday. Until he runs every four weeks he will continue to be a short horse. I think they should run CC in the Big Cap as a prep for Dubai. If not, then we have another 7 week break til his race in Dubai. That is too long. He will lose over there without another race under his belt. CC ran so well for so long with very little time between races.

olddaddy
02-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Maybe if the race was on synthetic.

Wilko and Brass Hat hit the board in the 2006 Dubai World Cup. Just how good does a horse have to be to run well in the dirt World Cup?

The recent method of throwing out the Americans is not going to work here.

I dont believe any american track has a dirt composition like meydan.

ReplayRandall
02-09-2015, 05:41 PM
I dont believe any american track has a dirt composition like meydan.
Here is the Meydan track layout and it's different track compositions:
http://www.emiratesracing.com/racecourses/track-meydan-racecourse

taxicab
02-09-2015, 05:52 PM

Don't worry about how other people bet their money......It's nothing you have to concern yourself with.
In terms of Saturday's race.
You do understand every race can only have one winner.......don't you ?
Losing a length and change to the number one rated horse in NA is no disgrace.
CC did beat Hoppertunity by half a pole......the same Hoppertunity that was coming off victories in a Gr.2 and the Gr. 1 Clark,the same Clark where Hoppertunity smoked the winner of Saturday's Donn Hdcp.
I did see how he finished up in Pa.
I believe Chrome polished off the last 1/8th in 12.1 Saturday.......so tell me,is that a good finish ?
I do find it interesting that you pick the one bad race out of eleven the horse has run in the last 13 months. :eek:
Let's review CC three races after the Pa. Derby:
Third,beaten a neck in the Breeders Cup Classic.
First,beating the Canadian HOY in the Gr.1 Hollywood Derby.
Second,beaten a length plus to SB.
That's a good enough resume to justify running the reigning HOY in any race.
Newsflash Rex.......when you have one of the best horses in the world you run for the biggest purses.
What do you want the owners to do with Chrome?
Just let him sit in his barn.
They could rent him out for pony rides. :ThmbUp:
If they don't run him in Dubai,where should they run him ?
In the SA Hdcp,for one tenth of the money?
And I'm sure the owner of CC is just thrilled that you[Rex@PaceAdvantage]knows more about how to manage Chrome than they do.
After all, they have done such a terrible job to this point managing their dual classic winning,four time Gr.1,double eclipse award winning champion.
Look.....I don't know what this horse is going to do in Dubai,but he's certainly proven (on the track) that he belongs there.

horses4courses
02-09-2015, 06:02 PM

and against Shared Belief again.

Hmmm....let's see.....SA for hundreds of thousands,
or Dubai for millions? It's a no-brainer.

Look.....I don't know what this horse is going to do in Dubai,but he's certainly proven (on the track) that he belongs there.

Absolutely.
It's a risk worth taking.

letswastemoney
02-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Here is the Meydan track layout and it's different track compositions:
http://www.emiratesracing.com/racecourses/track-meydan-racecourseWell what was the composition 2009 and earlier?

I'm not worried. California Chrome handles all three surfaces.

RXB
02-09-2015, 06:29 PM

It's hardly a big deal when the Derby & Preakness winner loses in the Belmont, and California Chrome was defeated by less than two lengths. He had one bad day at the office in the PA Derby. (Bayern had two bad days in the Preakness and the Travers; did those ruin him for the Haskell, the PA Derby, the BC Classic?) CC faced the stiffest possible competition in his last two dirt races and ran well both times.

And comparing him to Mine That Bird is just silly. MTB accomplished nothing after the Preakness. He had a two-race massive (and dubious) peak in the Derby and Preakness. California Chrome has proven recently that he is still a legit G1 horse.

letswastemoney
02-09-2015, 06:32 PM
This horses career is going to end like Mine that Bird, with dingbat owners thinking his next derby score is just a race away.

Statement is simply false already, as Mine That Bird struggled after the West Virginia Derby and never even hit the board again.

After struggling on Pro-Ride and running up the track in the Breeders' Cup Classic, he continued to struggle the next year failing on both turf and dirt.

California Chrome won a G1 turf race, finished third and second in two dirt graded stakes in a row after the turf race, and people are acting like he's not a good horse?

Chrome is going to finish top 3 in Dubai as long as he's healthy.

DelMarJay
02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Look, not one of us knows how CC will take to Meydan. Does that not go for seemingly every entrant in the race?

Most of the top Euros and Asian connections have already stated their preference for the turf races. I don't think there is anything "dumb-ass" about CC's running.

You know he's getting a large appearance fee, don't you? Just hit the board and it will be more than worth it.

Rex Phinney
02-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Don't worry about how other people bet their money......It's nothing you have to concern yourself with.
In terms of Saturday's race.
You do understand every race can only have one winner.......don't you ?
Losing a length and change to the number one rated horse in NA is no disgrace.
CC did beat Hoppertunity by half a pole......the same Hoppertunity that was coming off victories in a Gr.2 and the Gr. 1 Clark,the same Clark where Hoppertunity smoked the winner of Saturday's Donn Hdcp.
I did see how he finished up in Pa.
I believe Chrome polished off the last 1/8th in 12.1 Saturday.......so tell me,is that a good finish ?
I do find it interesting that you pick the one bad race out of eleven the horse has run in the last 13 months. :eek:
Let's review CC three races after the Pa. Derby:
Third,beaten a neck in the Breeders Cup Classic.
First,beating the Canadian HOY in the Gr.1 Hollywood Derby.
Second,beaten a length plus to SB.
That's a good enough resume to justify running the reigning HOY in any race.
Newsflash Rex.......when you have one of the best horses in the world you run for the biggest purses.
What do you want the owners to do with Chrome?
Just let him sit in his barn.
They could rent him out for pony rides. :ThmbUp:
And I'm sure the owner of CC is just thrilled that you[Rex@PaceAdvantage]knows more about how to manage Chrome than they do.
After all, they have done such a terrible job to this point managing their dual classic winning,four time Gr.1,double eclipse award winning champion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you don't care for mine. No problem. I won't lose any sleep over it.

What I want is that these guys make sure they are doing what is best for the horse. Just two weeks ago the trainer of the horse, was against going to Dubai. That's a fact. I'd like to know for sure that the owners are taking the sound advice of their trainer and not running in races just because they like being the center of attention or looking for the biggest payday.

A 7 week break between races and then an extended time to recover when he comes back doesn't seem to suit this horse. It doesn't seem to be the winning formula for him. If you are fine with just calling him great forever and ever just because he won the Derby and Preakness that's fine. I'd like to call him great because he continues to achieve greatness.

horses4courses
02-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you don't care for mine. No problem. I won't lose any sleep over it.

What I want is that these guys make sure they are doing what is best for the horse. Just two weeks ago the trainer of the horse, was against going to Dubai. That's a fact. I'd like to know for sure that the owners are taking the sound advice of their trainer and not running in races just because they like being the center of attention or looking for the biggest payday.

A 7 week break between races and then an extended time to recover when he comes back doesn't seem to suit this horse. It doesn't seem to be the winning formula for him. If you are fine with just calling him great forever and ever just because he won the Derby and Preakness that's fine. I'd like to call him great because he continues to achieve greatness.

You are right in that regard.
It's definitely a risk to ship that far, no doubt.
It's worked fine for most, and not so well for some.
CC has a good temperament, so he should be fine.

Art Sherman is old school.
Fine gentleman, with a tremendous knowledge of horses.
I'm sure he has major reservations about this trip,
and may feel that the owners are being greedy.
He could be right, but I'm sure he hopes he is not.

Chances are that the trip is, at least, a financial success.
Hitting the board there, plus appearance money, will be some major coin.
There is a reasonable chance that he wins the race,
if it doesn't come up too salty. We'll see.

A nice break for the horse in April and May
hopefully will have him back to 100% for a US campaign.

clocker7
02-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Why in the h--- should CC stay in the US to run for (relatively) puny purses until the BCC?

We saw what he could do last November. It was screaming obvious that his workouts for the San Antonio were like the ones for the PA Derby, and that his objective was something WAAAAY more serious.

2015 is going to be a banner year. The BCC will be epic. Relax.

letswastemoney
02-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Why in the h--- should CC stay in the US to run for (relatively) puny purses until the BCC?

We saw what he could do last November. It was screaming obvious that his workouts for the San Antonio were like the ones for the PA Derby, and that his objective was something WAAAAY more serious.

2015 is going to be a banner year. The BCC will be epic. Relax.I don't even see why the San Antonio was a bad race for Chrome. If Shared Belief is supposedly the best, then Chrome ran a close second to the best.

No reason a horse like that can't win or place in numerous G1 events.

horses4courses
02-09-2015, 09:31 PM
I don't believe that CC was anywhere close to as fit going to Parx
as he was before Saturday's race.

Remember, he probably benefited from his run in the BCC.
He followed that with a nice turf tune up, before having
an uninterrupted work pattern into the San Antonio.

He wasn't much more than 80% fit going into Parx, imo.
He had been out in the fields in California for over 2 months,
with a few tender works leading up to Philly. Not even close to fit.

Yet, some people count the race as a debacle for CC,
and a feather in the cap of Bayern. Not in my book. :ThmbDown:

Some_One
02-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Well what was the composition 2009 and earlier?

I'm not worried. California Chrome handles all three surfaces.

Nad Al Sheba was suppose to be similar to CD as the Sheikh designed it for Godolphin's Derby pursuit.

hougie
02-10-2015, 05:58 PM
First off let me say that although I don't post here often Im going to tread lightly because you guys/gals on this site are some of the best posters around some of the folks that post comments on the other sites are nowhere near as knowledgeable. And that's putting it mildly. This site is for cappers who know the most about the game as anyone.

Here Is my take on it. Chrome in deed has proven himself worthy for the DWC and someone on this thread mentioned that chrome seems to be best with steady work and a regular schedule ie a campaign. I think you might be on to something there. While it might be a bit aggressive to run him in both the big cap and Dubai I do think it might be better than just the San Antonio as a prep. He needs to stay sharp we have seen this pattern from him over the last several months. Shared Belief is one serious race horse the likes that these eyes may have never seen. Scary talented spirited little horse. Definitely no shame in losing to that horse who I consider a bit of a freak. I like chromes chances in any G1. He is a very good horse with good cruising speed and enough of a late kick to get it done against most of the competition out there. The mile and a quarter shouldn't be a problem in my opinion. And remember he started his run for the wire pretty early in the San Antonio even though it was only a 1 1/8th.

That said they probably will use this San Antonio effort as a freshener and work him steady and hard until Dubai. As far as the race goes as long as he draws a middle to outside post we know he can get into 2nd or 3rd position as is his usual and cruise until the final turn and go for it. If he draws an inside post and gets trapped on the trail he could be in big trouble vs this high caliber of competition. Definitely cant fault the owners for taking him to Dubai. One thing about chrome that he might lack is killer instinct what happens when he gets in a head to head speed duel to the wire. Does he want to fight for it like Dortmund did or does he need to be out in front to get the job done. Some have suggested he doesn't like the whip and think he is slowing down when victor goes to it. Also is it just me or does victor seem too upright(not aerodynamic) when he rides. As for chrome I guess I sort of compare him to Shackelford in terms of the cruising speed but with a little more pizazz :)