PDA

View Full Version : Coach Dean Smith

Grits
02-08-2015, 09:46 AM
http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209880791&DB_OEM_ID=3350

Coach Smith has died. He suffered many years, the ravages of Alzheimers.

One may not care for UNC athletics, and of the problems of recent years--being exposed for classes that weren't attended, or didn't exist at all.

Yet this was not Dean Smith. He was a great, a deeply respected man who had a grace about him that all revered.

http://myfox8.com/2015/02/08/retired-unc-head-coach-dean-smith-dies-at-83/

Grits
02-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Jim Nantz and others are talking about Coach Smith.

...Whew this is tough. Nantz, Charlie Scott.

:( :( :(

lamboguy
02-08-2015, 02:03 PM
truly a great inspirational leader to those young men that were fortunate to be in his program. guys like Dean Smith never seem to get replaced these days.

RIP

horses4courses
02-08-2015, 02:10 PM
I know little about the man, as I have never followed college basketball.

However, I was in Chapel Hill in 1987 for the US Olympic Festival and, during
my stay there, took a tour through the Dean Smith Center which was just over a year old then.

Impressive arena, and what really blew me away was that it was named for
a coach who was still active. That really says something.
Few men qualify for the title "living legend".

RIP

JustRalph
02-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Dean Smith could have been Governor of NC just by asking......

When I lived in NC there were tributes to him all over the state. Small stuff. Pictures in Hotels, restaurants and dining halls named after him. I've never seen a man more revered.

MutuelClerk
02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry he passed. Condolences to the family. He was the only coach who could stop Michael Jordan. It seems with all that talent and to only win two NCAA championships he should have won more. The two he won he got very lucky in the finals. The Fred Brown pass to James Worthy and the glorious C Webb timeout.

Ocala Mike
02-09-2015, 10:32 AM
A liberal's liberal. He stood up for what was right because it was right and not for any public honors. RIP.