PDA

View Full Version : Horrific Spill At Tampa

ReplayRandall
02-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Please take a moment to pray for the 4 jockeys and their horses who took a frightening spill on the final turn into today's 6th race at Tampa Bay Downs..

HUSKER55
02-06-2015, 04:01 PM
3 of the jocks didn't move and neither did one of the horses. anyone heard an update?

not there is such a thing as a good spill but that was nasty.

Augenj
02-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Sad day. According to the chart, the 5 broke down at the 1/4 pole and the 7, 6, and 4 fell over her or the others. :ThmbDown:

cutchemist42
02-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Very sad to hear, hope for any animals and jockeys to come out of as well as possible.

Did Tampa cancel the card?

ReplayRandall
02-06-2015, 04:46 PM
They waited for both ambulances to return, per State law, and then resumed racing.......UPDATE: All jockeys confirmed OK, bumps and bruises only but still at Hospital for further observation. As far as the horses are concerned, 3 of them are doing OK, however, the #5- La Ranchera sadly died instantly on the track......

098poi
02-06-2015, 05:36 PM
They waited for both ambulances to return, per State law, and then resumed racing.......UPDATE: All jockeys confirmed OK, bumps and bruises only but still at Hospital for further observation. As far as the horses are concerned, 3 of them are doing OK, however, the #5- La Ranchera sadly died instantly on the track......

If there can be any good news I think this was it, thanks for the update.

chadk66
02-06-2015, 06:56 PM
they need to immediately implement aquaducts new rules

Grits
02-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Glad these riders were not badly hurt and sorry for the horse who died. Thankful I didn't see this. It gets harder rather than easier. Thank you for sharing the outcome, R2.

FrankieFigs
02-07-2015, 05:39 AM
they need to immediately implement aquaducts new rules

Have there been issues at Tampa this meet? I haven't heard of many.

Big Russ
02-07-2015, 06:56 AM
The unfortunate mare was owned and trained by Marcial Navarro.

Big Russ
02-07-2015, 07:00 AM
From a Tampa Bay Downs Facebook post overnight:

We are very grateful to report that jockeys Alice Cartwright, Janelle Campbell and Antonio Gallardo were released from the hospital earlier tonight. Cartwright suffered a concussion in the spill and will have to wear a neck brace for eight weeks. Campbell and Gallardo were both extremely sore, but incurred no broken bones.
Huber Villa-Gomez, the other jockey involved, reported extreme back pain and was expected to remain hospitalized overnight.
The intersection of these young men and women's love of Thoroughbreds, their athletic ability and their personal courage brings all of us many thrills and enjoyment, and we are thankful beyond words they were not more seriously hurt. Our thoughts will be with all four throughout their recovery.

pandy
02-07-2015, 09:47 AM
I could be wrong but I was watching the race live and it looked to me that the unfortunate mare that caused the spill had a heart attack while she was running. You could see that after she fell and flipped over onto her back she did not move at all. As soon as I saw it I thought it was a heart attack.

sjk
02-07-2015, 09:52 AM
I thought is was a heart attack too from watching it live. Could not watch replay.