PDA

View Full Version : PIM 5/14 race 10 - Pimlico Special Handicap, G1

playintheponies
05-13-2004, 11:37 PM
#5 Funny Cide is the sentimental choice, but you don't win $$ on sentiments.

On paper it's very hard for me to get past #4 Southern Image, I see him in the hunt every step of the way, he can go for the lead if noone else wants it or he can stalk.

He is 5 for 6 lifetime. After breaking his maiden as a 2 year old in Dec '02, in his next out in Feb '03 as a 3 year old he ran 3rd in a G2 his only loss. Laid off until Aug he won an allowance. Laid off again until Dec he wins 3 in a row, two G1's and a million dollar restricted, all in the top notch SoCal circuit.

Trainer Machowsky knows what he has on his hands and is picking nothing but the highest caliber spots for him. And I don't think we have seen his best yet, in my humble opinion this one has Breeders Cup / Horse of the Year capabilities, shades of what Mineshaft did last year.

I am expecting a decent price, as I see the locals pounding on Funny Cide at the windows.

likely bets

win #4
exacta with #7 Dynever

I will use him in the Black Eyed Susan/Pimlico Special double and also in the Pimlico Special/Preakness double.

playintheponies

azibuck
05-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I think Southern Image's late pace figs (from Bris) are weak. I think he'll get run down late. Also, Brad Free noted in his DRF chat the the SA Handicap has come up a "negative key race." I like Ole Faunty or Evening Attire.

Dynever's never beaten anyone. I hate that horse.

playintheponies
05-14-2004, 07:49 PM
I crushed 'em today, double / exacta / triple. Also have live doubles with Lion Heart and Smarty Jones.

Southern Image ran just as I expected. I use Bris as well and felt his outsanding mid pace figs were the key.

I never have liked Brad Free's handicapping, although I did read the transcript of his chat.

I liked Midway Road as second speed. Dynever ain't so bad, it's just that when the speed didn't fold it was hard for anyone to rally.

playintheponies

cj
05-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Dynever is the most overrated horse in training. This guy has won two weak G3s, period. Plodder, even passed late by Evening Attire.

Nice call on the winner.

azibuck
05-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Nice job.

JimG
05-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Dynever is the most overrated horse in training. This guy has won two weak G3s, period. Plodder, even passed late by Evening Attire.

Nice call on the winner.

Brings back memories of Dollar Bill.

Jim

Valuist
05-15-2004, 12:39 AM
I nominate Dollar Bill as the most overrated horse in the past 10 years. He could find trouble in a $5000 starter race going 3 miles. He'd probably have that late rally to get third in one of those.