PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 question for previous W 7 users?

Flysofree
02-05-2015, 02:49 PM
This is only intended for those that switched from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

First of all, Why did you switch? Stay current or old computer getting ready to wear out or some other reason?

Secondly how long have you had Windows 8 and what do you like the best and least about it compared to Windows 7?

Would you go back to Windows 7 if it was simple to do so?

Clocker
02-05-2015, 05:18 PM
I needed a new, plain vanilla desktop. All of the low end computers I looked at charged $100 more for Win 7 over Win 8.1. And I figured 8.1 would be easier to upgrade to the next version.

Also, there are programs out there that can put the Win 7 desktop and Start button on Win 8.1. Most are free, some charge $5-10. The free one I got was the top choice in one of the computer mag reviews. The free ones do try to install their browser and make it default. You just have to be careful during the install process.

MJC922
02-05-2015, 08:33 PM
At my job I work with both OSs every day so I'll offer an opinion. On desktops there's simply no compelling reason for Windows 8. Most people (myself included) experienced a fair amount of frustration trying to adapt to it on a desktop PC. The general public's frustration spawned 8.1's phony start button to the tiles and now in 2015 we'll have a Win10 release (start menu 'revisited'). If you're buying a windows tablet then 8 is perfectly fine, nice actually. Would I pay an extra hundred for Win7 on a desktop, no, but if I had to use it every day on a desktop I would probably install 'classic shell' or whatever it is. Let's hope 10 is better.

Dave Schwartz
02-05-2015, 09:13 PM
I did not "switch." I have only one Win8 machine - a laptop - running 8.1.

First, I restored the look and feel to Win7 with Stardock's Start8 product.

IMHO, win 8.1 is the most stable version of Windows yet. However, as all Windows versions to date, each subsequent version needs more resources.

Be careful about upgrading XP-era machines with only 3Gb of RAM. You probably will not be pleased with the outcome.

One more thing... many/most of those XP-era machines have motherboards that cannot expand above 3Gb.

judd
02-05-2015, 09:20 PM
I like I got to go with the times :8: :8:

forced89
02-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Would I pay an extra hundred for Win7 on a desktop, no, but if I had to use it every day on a desktop I would probably install 'classic shell' or whatever it is.

You wouldn't. I did and I'm happy I did. IMO the extra $100 I paid for my Asus laptop with Windows 7 installed was worth every penny.

HUSKER55
02-06-2015, 10:57 AM
FWIW:

my old repair guy moved on, (out of state). There are two news ones and they have both said to skip windows 8 and to wait before going to windows10.

They said they have to get it to assit customers so they would let me know whether to buy it or not.

hope it helps.

Flysofree
02-07-2015, 09:59 AM
FWIW:

my old repair guy moved on, (out of state). There are two news ones and they have both said to skip windows 8 and to wait before going to windows10.

They said they have to get it to assit customers so they would let me know whether to buy it or not.

hope it helps.

That is what I was told by 2 so called techies.... However, I asked another guy who runs a successful handicapping program and he said Windows 8.1 is ok with the desktop version, whatever that means. I'm happy with 7 so will not go to 8.1 unless this breaks down before 10 becomes available.

MJC922
02-07-2015, 06:45 PM
You wouldn't. I did and I'm happy I did. IMO the extra $100 I paid for my Asus laptop with Windows 7 installed was worth every penny.

LOL fair enough I should probably clarify that. The last laptop I purchased was $199 on Woot:

http://www.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-x131e-11-6-intel-laptop

(Hypothetically) If it had 8.1 by default and I had to pay an extra $100 to get it with Win7 instead, no I wouldn't pay 50% more for the machine.

Fortunately this had 7 pro and it makes for a decent kitchen laptop.

A few years back I did purchase the Windows 7 family pack which was 3 licenses for $150 so that's definitely my OS of choice and I fully appreciate your point of view.