PDA

View Full Version : Bris Variants

Secretariat
05-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Does anyone have a unique approach to extracting the variant for the Bris Speed figure?

In Beyer on speed, extracting the variant from the figure is explained, but Bris's variant (and PAce) figures for that matter supply no approach to extracting the variant?

Any ideas, same is applicable to TSN...

Tom
05-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
Does anyone have a unique approach to extracting the variant for the Bris Speed figure?

In Beyer on speed, extracting the variant from the figure is explained, but Bris's variant (and PAce) figures for that matter supply no approach to extracting the variant?

Any ideas, same is applicable to TSN...

Sec,
Send me an email and I will send you a chart that gives the base times for TSN ratings - you can use it for BRIS if you remeber not to mix datafiles.

Tom

Tom
05-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Sec,
Try this link....

http://www.a1handicapping.com/tsn.html

Secretariat
05-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks Tom. I have that TSN chart.

So a mile and a a quarter on the chart is listed as 202.2 and is considered a 100 TSN speed rating., (Adjustment is 1.00)

Let's say a horse scored a 98 speed rating on TSN winning the race, or using the above chart 2 points slower than a 100 TSN or a 202.4.

But the horse's actual running time was 203.0. So it was 1/5th slower than the time TSN gave it in terms of points, so I am assuming TSN says this race was SLOW 1 or a -1 variant to equate the horse with the 202.4 performance. Is that the way you woudl read it, or am I off base in this.

Also, that is the chart for TSN, but Bris is different. What would be the equivalent 100 values for Bris and the Adjustment figures? Bris says loosely 1.5 points for exact length back in a sprint and 1.0 point for each length back in a route. Do you know of such a chart of Bris figures?

For example: 202.2 is 100 for TSN, but my guess is a 202.2 for Bris would score much higher than 100. What are the correspondences?

Tom
05-14-2004, 09:18 PM
My memory is a bit fuzy on this, but I thing BRIS was about 8 point higher than TSN.

I also think that they used tenths of a second for some distances and fractions and fifths for others. The adjustment number I took to be the value of a beaten length. I will look up that study I did- two computers ago, so not exactly sure wehre it is rihgt now D'oh!
But I think you are right in your example.

Big Bill
05-14-2004, 10:02 PM
The value of a beaten length in BRIS speed ratings for the various distances can be calculated by dividing 10 by the number of furlongs of the race. For example:

10 + 5.5f = 1.81
10 + 6f = 1.66
10 + 7f = 1.42

...and so on.

Big Bill

Secretariat
05-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Big Bill
The value of a beaten length in BRIS speed ratings for the various distances can be calculated by dividing 10 by the number of furlongs of the race. For example:

10 + 5.5f = 1.81
10 + 6f = 1.66
10 + 7f = 1.42

...and so on.

Big Bill

Curious Bill how you arrived at that...

Big Bill
05-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Sec,

Obtained it from BRIS. I check with them each year to see if these values have changed and I'm told they are still the ones used.

Big Bill

Secretariat
05-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Big Bill
Sec,

Obtained it from BRIS. I check with them each year to see if these values have changed and I'm told they are still the ones used.

Big Bill

Thanks much Bill. I appreciate both yours and Tom's responses.

Tom
05-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Big Bill,
Do you know where the use fifths and where they use tenths for the speed ratings?

turfspec
05-16-2004, 08:47 AM
If you go to the Brisnet.com website and look in the "Library" under "Bris Pace Ratings FAQ" & "Bris Speed Ratings FAQ" you should find the answers to many of your questions about the value of a length and how it's determined.

Rob