PDA

View Full Version : Cute pups, kitty cats, and political correctness

mountainman
02-02-2015, 07:38 PM
What IS it about cats that so captivates so many people? They're aloof, smelly, indifferent and self-absorbed, but people just can't get enough. I used to think this bizarre fetish was largely limited to lonely, geriatric women, but the cultural onslaught of cutesy cat images and commercials says other-wise.

In fact-and I do like dogs-I just don't get our national obsession with dressing ANY small critter in people-clothes, or manipulating them into mimicking human behavior, which then enraptures their owners to a place beyond sane thought.

And then there is the rigid aspect of political correctness that puts animals above people. That beer ad about the determined pup and his Clydesdale pal is indeed adorable, but there's something wrong with so worshiping our pets as to kill the go-daddy spot that lampooned it.

Sure, protesters contended that the spot legitimized puppy mills (REALLY??), or somehow encourages callous treatment of animals.
But what I think actually cheesed them off was depicting an animal as the butt of a joke-or merely having the human get the upper hand. And for that unpardonable sin, the ad got murdered.

Frightening. Very frightening.

sammy the sage
02-02-2015, 07:54 PM
What IS it about cats that so captivates so many people? They're aloof, smelly, indifferent and self-absorbed, but people just can't get enough. I used to think this bizarre fetish was largely limited to lonely, geriatric women, but the cultural onslaught of cutesy cat images and commercials says other-wise.

In fact-and I do like dogs-I just don't get our national obsession with dressing ANY small critter in people-clothes, or manipulating them into mimicking human behavior, which then enraptures their owners to a place beyond sane thought.

And then there is the rigid aspect of political correctness that puts animals above people. That beer ad about the determined pup and his Clydesdale pal is indeed adorable, but there's something wrong with so worshiping our pets as to kill the go-daddy spot that lampooned it.

Sure, protesters contended that the spot legitimized puppy mills (REALLY??), or somehow encourages callous treatment of animals.
But what I think actually cheesed them off was depicting an animal as the butt of a joke-or merely having the human get the upper hand. And for that unpardonable sin, the ad got murdered.

Frightening. Very frightening.

best be careful around here...there ARE some political correctness Nazi's on the loose!

that probably wasn't the most politically correct comment to make either...oh well...I'll probably burn...

davew
02-02-2015, 08:11 PM
They are easy to take care of, they have sporadic unconditional love, they do not talk back, and for some people they are surrogate kids. The same can be said for dogs. Cats are generally for people with indoor lifestyles, while dogs are generally for people with outdoor lifestyles. In the US, roughly 40% like cats, 40% like dogs and the other 20% like both or neither.

Who are we to wonder why, it is what it is.

Ocala Mike
02-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Cats are assholes; I know because I live with three of them, all rescues, and there's a stray kitten living under my deck (and being fed by me) as I type this.

I know what you're thinking; takes one to know one!

HUSKER55
02-03-2015, 10:42 AM
I think there are alot of groups who are given way more credibility than they deserve.

start taxing these charitable groups and see how many fall by the wayside or take them to and see how fast their base dries up.

It is all bullshit. Real men and real women do not behave like they do.

JMHO

tucker6
02-03-2015, 11:06 AM
I think there are alot of groups who are given way more credibility than they deserve.

start taxing these charitable groups and see how many fall by the wayside or take them to and see how fast their base dries up.

It is all bullshit. Real men and real women do not behave like they do.

JMHO
wrong thread?? :confused:

davew
02-03-2015, 11:51 AM
wrong thread?? :confused:

or talking about groups like National Humane Society, that is a non-profit scam, spending most money for recruitment of cash for owners.

horses4courses
02-03-2015, 12:27 PM
The US is not alone here....the entire western world idolizes their pets.
Dog and cat owners in the UK, for example, fuss just as much, or more so.

Been going on for a very long time, and I think it's great.
Pets become part of the family, and are therapeutic for many.

Sure, there are downsides to this.
Over-breeding is a constant problem.
Do the pros outweigh the cons here, though?
I would say that they do.

thaskalos
02-03-2015, 01:10 PM
I never considered myself a pet-lover...and I stayed away from pets for the first 45 years of my life. I found dogs to be too aggressive, and was completely indifferent about the cats -- who also seemed to show a pronounced indifference towards me. But I looked into a garbage can outside of my place of business one cold winter night, about eight years ago...and I discovered a small yellow kitten shivering there and scrambling to get out. Not sure of what to do, I made a half-hearted effort to reach and take hold of it...and was surprised when the kitten complied. I took it inside my store...and I remember pouring some milk in a little saucer for it...which the kitten eagerly licked clean.

Fast-forward eight years...and this cat has now become the boss of my household. His name is Mickey...and he is lying and snoring right next to me as I type this. I don't have any other pet experiences to compare him to...but the difference -- and the pleasure -- that he has brought to my life can only be characterized as IMMENSE. If I were to see my house being burned down tomorrow, and I knew for a fact that my son was not trapped inside, then this little orange cat would be the only thing to have me rushing frantically into a burning building...putting my own life in grave danger, in the process.

Because of this cat, I also became aware of a couple more cats who were roaming in my back yard late at night looking for food. I started feeding them...and even built them a little house, to protect them against the elements during the winter months. This little group has now grown to about 10...including a couple of the most adorable kittens you ever saw. I feed them morning and night, and I could make payments on a luxury car with the money that it costs me...but there is no way that a luxury car could bring me as much joy.

And I fondly remember Mark Twain...who once wrote:

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction."

No wonder that guy was considered to be such a great writer. :)

ReplayRandall
02-03-2015, 01:41 PM
I never considered myself a pet-lover...and I stayed away from pets for the first 45 years of my life. I found dogs to be too aggressive, and was completely indifferent about the cats -- who also seemed to show a pronounced indifference towards me. But I looked into a garbage can outside of my place of business one cold winter night, about eight years ago...and I discovered a small yellow kitten shivering there and scrambling to get out. Not sure of what to do, I made a half-hearted effort to reach and take hold of it...and was surprised when the kitten complied. I took it inside my store...and I remember pouring some milk in a little saucer for it...which the kitten eagerly licked clean.

Fast-forward eight years...and this cat has now become the boss of my household. His name is Mickey...and he is lying and snoring right next to me as I type this. I don't have any other pet experiences to compare him to...but the difference -- and the pleasure -- that he has brought to my life can only be characterized as IMMENSE. If I were to see my house being burned down tomorrow, and I knew for a fact that my son was not trapped inside, then this little orange cat would be the only thing to have me rushing frantically into a burning building...putting my own life in grave danger, in the process.

Because of this cat, I also became aware of a couple more cats who were roaming in my back yard late at night looking for food. I started feeding them...and even built them a little house, to protect them against the elements during the winter months. This little group has now grown to about 10...including a couple of the most adorable kittens you ever saw. I feed them morning and night, and I could make payments on a luxury car with the money that it costs me...but there is no way that a luxury car could bring me as much joy.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction."

As are you, Gus. Thanks for sharing... :ThmbUp:

Tom
02-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Mine are anything but aloof.
The follow me, room to room, and stake out spots next to me.
If I go to the bathroom, they all sit in the hall and wait for me, then follow me to wherever I go.

It's like having SS protection.

reckless
02-03-2015, 02:37 PM

Nice story and thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings, Gus. :ThmbUp:

Tall One
02-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Mine are anything but aloof.

The follow me, room to room, and stake out spots next to me.

If I go to the bathroom, they all sit in the hall and wait for me, then follow me to wherever I go.

It's like having SS protection.

Felix, my humane society rescue, follows me everywhere and that includes the can. No shame in that little dudes game..! I mean, God forbid you shut the door for some privacy. I learned that real quick. :D

Tell ya what though, he has brought a lot of life back in my house. Best thing about cats, imo, is they know when it's time to hang out, and when it's time to do their own thing. I wouldn't take anything for him though. Hell, he's got more food in the house than I do.

Ocala Mike
02-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Why, thas, you old softie! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

sammy the sage
02-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Ya'll do know that cats KILL everything...many times not even eating...from lizards to mourning doves...

Dogs...well much more diverse....some do what cats do...and some DO THE reverse...protect...

Never seen a cat protect anything but it's OWN skin...

all that said...we had a nursery cat named BUBBA...terrific w/children/adults alike...anything else...forget ABOUT it.. .(26lbs of outdoor FURY)....over 10k in vet bills (think raccoons, other cats, dogs of ANY size)...and another 20k in lost employee wages and 13 years later...RIP... :(

Grits
02-14-2015, 03:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXLxM0u1aJw

Gentlemen, I hope, so much, that your Valentine's Day (and evening) will go far better than this fella's.

(This may have been posted in the past, but I've not seen it until just now. I laughed 'til I had tears in my eyes.)

Happy Valentine's to each of you and your ladies. ;)

Ocala Mike
02-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Saw that before, Grits; showed it to wifey, who got a kick out of it. My 3 tuxedo cats who look like the one taking the abuse were not impressed, however!