PDA

View Full Version : MS Access

HUSKER55
02-02-2015, 07:33 PM
I can only get 250 columns to open up. How do I get more columns? I try to download the PP's and I keep getting this error message.

MJC922
02-02-2015, 07:50 PM
It's possibly a limitation with Access.... still that's a lot of columns. You should be able to create an import spec and leave some columns out of it. I suspect there are dozens of columns in those files that you have no interest in.

Red Knave
02-02-2015, 08:08 PM
This is Access 2010 right? Max number of fields per table is 255. You need to design your database so that it has multiple connected tables and each table fits this spec.
Newer versions of Excel can handle more columns (16000?) so you may be able to create your database with Excel and query it with Access.
I don't use ether one so take that with a grain of salt.
MS-SQL Express doesn't have this limitation and will seem very much like Access once you get up to speed with it.

HUSKER55
02-13-2015, 10:10 AM
I can get the data onto my computer and to open it up by itself.

I must be doing something wrong because I can't get the data that I want moved into access.

Do I have to move all the data into acces before I an get rid of what I don't want.

For example, I don't use pedigree data, (well at least for now), so I don't need that.

thanks

Red Knave
02-13-2015, 11:39 AM
I must be doing something wrong because I can't get the data that I want moved into access.
What have you tried so far?

I think you will need to write some code to do what you want.
Assuming you are using a csv type file for input, you would need to do something like Selecting an input record, looping through it's fields and assigning the ones you want to the corresponding fields in your access table and then updating access, then repeat until end of input file.

raybo
02-18-2015, 01:36 AM
If you have Excel 2007 or later, you could import the data files (over 16,000 columns and over 1,000,000 rows) into that, then create a "list", in it's own worksheet, containing only the fields you want for your database, then import that Excel worksheet data into Access. If you can't get all the fields you want with 255 columns in Access, then you will have to create multiple tables in Access and combine them as needed in your queries.