PDA

View Full Version : American's Net Worth

PICSIX
02-01-2015, 07:30 AM
How in the hell can the average person 65 and older even consider retiring when they have no $$$$$'s......this is something that should concern all of us because it will surely cost us all big time in the not to distant future?......

Don't forget that the majority of their worth is their home :confused:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2015/01/31/motley-fool-net-worth-age/22415229/

snickster
02-01-2015, 09:23 PM
How in the hell can the average person 65 and older even consider retiring when they have no $$$$$'s......this is something that should concern all of us because it will surely cost us all big time in the not to distant future?......

Don't forget that the majority of their worth is their home :confused:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2015/01/31/motley-fool-net-worth-age/22415229/

That is a totally useless article. What is their point? We are all screwed? I think the writer was a 20+ year old just out of school that don't have a clue about finances or economics but is just an aspiring journalist. A talking head.

On the other hand if you are getting old you just better be saving up as much of what you make as you can and don't buy anything you don't really need such as a new car.

Stillriledup
02-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Expenses are SO massive its crushing everyone but the super rich, everyone has like 20 different bills to pay u gotta make 100k just to afford to break even.

cj's dad
02-02-2015, 03:59 AM
I have not worked since March of 2013. I am living ok on SS and 2 small pensions. What am I supposed to do, work til I drop. That is not happening.

Actor
02-02-2015, 04:32 AM
Don't forget that the majority of their worth is their home :confused: 35% of Americans do not own their home.

Robert Goren
02-02-2015, 06:19 AM
The people who can get their net worth up to the neighborhood of a million 1915 dollars will be pretty well off when they retire. For the rest of us, well, it could be worse. The only thing I have to say, is to be sure your health insurance is good when you turn 50. Check your coverage. At least under ACA, they have to pay if your policy says your covered. Your health can go south in a hurry and crush your savings.

Actor
02-02-2015, 08:45 AM
The people who can get their net worth up to the neighborhood of a million 1915 dollars will be pretty well off when they retire. That's 23 million 2015 dollars, so they will do well, but I'll never make it.
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

pandy
02-02-2015, 01:17 PM
I have not worked since March of 2013. I am living ok on SS and 2 small pensions. What am I supposed to do, work til I drop. That is not happening.

And being a miser all your life and saving a lot of money isn't necessarily a smart move, either. These so-called money experts, like Jean Chatsky and Suze Orman make me laugh. Their sage advice is, don't buy anything. Wear the same clothes, don't eat out, drive a crappy old car.... Fantastic, then if you're lucky enough to make it to old age you have money but you're too old to enjoy it.

reckless
02-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Many years ago there was a commercial on TV showing a nice older gentlemen overlooking NY Harbor watching the boats and cruise ships sail by.

Basically, he said: when I had the money I didn't have enough time; now that I have the time, I don't have enough money.

Robert Goren
02-02-2015, 04:35 PM
That's 23 million 2015 dollars, so they will do well, but I'll never make it.
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:Oops, my mistake.:blush: It been 15 years and I still writing 19xx when I should be writing 20xx. Some habits are hard to break. :lol: :lol: :lol: