PDA

View Full Version : 8th grader in jail -- Mary Jane in the brownies

DJofSD
01-31-2015, 10:46 AM
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/01/30/sacramento-middle-school-student-arrested-after-pot-brownies-send-classmate-to-hospital/

Sacramento Middle-School Student Arrested After Pot Brownies Send Classmate To Hospital

The parents should be in jail too.

FantasticDan
01-31-2015, 11:07 AM
The parents should be in jail too.From the article:Police say they believe the parents had no idea their daughter was planning to do this and were not involved.

boxcar
01-31-2015, 11:11 AM
At least there wasn't a gun hidden in the brownies, right? :p

DJofSD
01-31-2015, 11:11 AM
So what? You must think I didn't read the rather short article.

Like it or not, the parents are responsible for the daughter -- whether they knew what she did or not.

horses4courses
01-31-2015, 11:15 AM

Like it or not, the parents are responsible for the daughter -- whether they knew what she did or not.

Well, by that line of reasoning, why would you stop there?
The grandparents raised the daughter's parents.
I guess you would throw them in jail, too?

FantasticDan
01-31-2015, 11:15 AM
Like it or not, the parents are responsible for the daughter -- whether they knew what she did or not.You're right, whenever a minor breaks a law, the parents should automatically be arrested too, since the minor is their responsibility.

Very practical, very sensible, very legal. :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
01-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Red meat. :lol: :lol:

FantasticDan
01-31-2015, 11:21 AM
Red meat. :lol: :lol:No, she put the pot in brownies, not red meat. So not only can't you read a short article, you can't understand it either.. :faint: :p

DJofSD
01-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Don't worry Dan. A little fun never hurt any one.

Tom
01-31-2015, 11:50 AM
Maybe if we started holding parents responsible for the actions of their kids, we would not have half the liberal problems we do today.

Of curse the parents are responsible.
Do you think after a weekend behind bats, Mom and Dad might pay more attention to what little Susie is up to?

PhantomOnTour
01-31-2015, 12:05 PM
Where are we, North Korea?

What if the kid scores some weed at school?
Let's lock up the teachers and admin because they need to keep a better eye on what those kids are doing :rolleyes: :faint:

Over half the parents in the USA would have a criminal record if we held them responsible for the actions of a teenager.
Ridiculous

horses4courses
01-31-2015, 12:13 PM
Maybe if we started holding parents responsible for the actions of their kids, we would not have half the liberal problems we do today.

Of curse the parents are responsible.
Do you think after a weekend behind bats, Mom and Dad might pay more attention to what little Susie is up to?

In an ideal world, all parents who raise
"little conservatives" should be doing time.
I find that to be an unusual circumstance, though.

Most children are bright, and enthusiastic, with a
joy for life. It's only as they grow older that they
have a tendency to want to hoard all that is theirs,
develop a bad attitude, and become eternal pessimists.

Tom
01-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Over half the parents in the USA would have a criminal record if we held them responsible for the actions of a teenager.
Ridiculous

So you are satisfied with having, by your data, over half the kids with legal problems?

What is YOUR solution?

Turn a blind eye, stick your head in the sand?

Tom
01-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Most children are bright, and enthusiastic, with a
joy for life. It's only as they grow older that they
have a tendency to want to hoard all that is theirs,
develop a bad attitude, and become eternal pessimists.

Light-weight answer.
Nothing to do wit the topic, but your attention span is probably the reason.
As POT says, MOST parents, if held responsible for their kids, would have a criminal record.

So what is YOUR solution?

Mine, keep your kids away the liberal education system that is a total failure.
As POT say, over half the kids the libs get a hold out turn out to be criminals.

And then to reinforce bad choices, they put a dope-smoking street punk in the White House.

Nice plan, boys.

tucker6
01-31-2015, 12:25 PM
Didn't Nancy Pelosi says that a person's child belong to the community. In that vein, maybe we should all go to jail. She is our child after all.

Clocker
01-31-2015, 12:26 PM
It's only as they grow older that they
have a tendency to want to hoard all that is theirs

You have obviously never tried to get a 5 year old to share a toy or a treat. :D

PhantomOnTour
01-31-2015, 12:31 PM
So you are satisfied with having, by your data, over half the kids with legal problems?

What is YOUR solution?

Turn a blind eye, stick your head in the sand?
My point is that kids do stupid (and often illegal) things...they have acted this way for as long as I can remember.
Jailing parents will NOT change that.

horses4courses
01-31-2015, 12:31 PM
Light-weight answer.
Nothing to do wit the topic, but your attention span is probably the reason.
As POT says, MOST parents, if held responsible for their kids, would have a criminal record.

So what is YOUR solution?

Mine, keep your kids away the liberal education system that is a total failure.
As POT say, over half the kids the libs get a hold out turn out to be criminals.

And then to reinforce bad choices, they put a dope-smoking street punk in the White House.

Nice plan, boys.

I don't like your solutions, and you don't like mine,
which would involve substantial investment in an
ailing education system and attempting to improve
the living standards of those less well-off.

We'll never agree, so let's just leave it at that.

DeltaLover
01-31-2015, 12:43 PM
I do not think that holding the parents responsible or sending an teenager to jail is the solution to this and any other similar case.

Instead I view this incident as a syptom of a cultural disease that needs to be cured on the society level, applying a long termr educational campain rather than trying to enforce any kind of a draconian legislation...

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2015, 12:49 PM
What did they do? Hold the other kid down and cram the thing into his/her mouth?

JustRalph
01-31-2015, 12:52 PM
In Charlotte they passed a law that said the parents could be fined and get jail time if their kids were truant from school.

Many mornings I took 911 calls from parents who had kids refusing to get out of bed and go to school. The cops would actually give them a choice to go to school or go to Juvy jail. Truancy went way down.

JustRalph
01-31-2015, 12:55 PM
Instead I view this incident as a syptom of a cultural disease that needs to be cured on the society level, applying a long termr educational campain rather than trying to enforce any kind of a draconian legislation...

Interesting .........

What side of the political aisle do you find yourself? Just curious.......

DJofSD
01-31-2015, 12:58 PM
Interesting .........

Let me take a guess: libertarian.

PhantomOnTour
01-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Interesting .........

Curious?
That question has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
It's akin to asking someone what they do for a living or how much they earn.
A few folks on this board interject politics into everything as quickly as they can.

If I were DeltaLover I wouldn't answer that question...it will determine how he is treated for evermore by some folks on this board.

DeltaLover
01-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Interesting .........

Why my political aisle matters in regards to this particular issue?

Tom
01-31-2015, 02:39 PM
If I were DeltaLover I wouldn't answer that question...it will determine how he is treated for evermore by some folks on this board.

Oh brother, drama queen day or what? :D

Have I ever treated you with anything less than respect and good nature on the HORSE part of the forum?

whodoyoulike
01-31-2015, 04:45 PM
Maybe they were just under cooked which means part of the real problem with our school system is they aren't teaching home economics earlier.

The parents should be fined and be held responsible for the other students medical costs and any costs to the school district.

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2015, 05:05 PM

The parents should be fined and be held responsible for the other students ...

This is what I don't understand.

Two pages and the kids that ate the dope are being treated like victims here. Somewhere in here, we're trying to argue over the best or worst way to fix or not fix the problem.

My vote for the worst way to fix it is to treat the people that actually caused their own problem in the first place as victims. Does it sound to anyone like these kids thought this was just some good old-fashioned bake sale or something? It sure as hell sounds more likely than not that everyone involved was plenty aware what they were doing.

There were two separate parties that need to be held accountable here, for two totally different things and reasons, and it isn't the kid and her parents. It's the kid and the other kids.

Sure, by a legal standard, not the same thing. But for the sake of all that is good and sane and if we are going to build prisons or print pamphlets for classroom PSA style societal reconditioning - what good does any of it do if the people that made their own really, really poor decision are somehow perceived as victims?

They say "no". It's that simple. If they don't, well, real world actions have real world consequences. As far as the condition of the other kids, if my interpretation of the event is accurate, I put the responsibility for those kids squarely on the shoulder of those kids. I'll settle for at least half the responsibility since apparently most don't seem to even see them in the equation of responsibility here.

whodoyoulike
01-31-2015, 05:17 PM
This is what I don't understand.

Two pages and the kids that ate the dope are being treated like victims here. Somewhere in here, we're trying to argue over the best or worst way to fix or not fix the problem...

if my interpretation of the event is accurate, I put the responsibility for those kids squarely on the shoulder of those kids. I'll settle for at least half the responsibility since apparently most don't seem to even see them in the equation of responsibility here.

The kids are minors (a.k.a. morons).

Again, teach to bake at least 30 minutes @ 350 degrees. Who's responsible for teaching .... schools.

JustRalph
01-31-2015, 05:27 PM
Why my political aisle matters in regards to this particular issue?

Never mind......Your argument for cultural change is a very interesting one. It has been co- opted many times by different sides of the aisle and usually means two different things depending on which side you hail from.

I tend to agree with your statement for what it's worth......but not knowing your total viewpoint makes it a little more ambiguous .......that's all....

Clocker
01-31-2015, 05:50 PM
I don't like your solutions, and you don't like mine,
which would involve substantial investment in an
ailing education system

Ah, everything will be better if we just spend more money on education. We have been hearing the same mantra for decades, and we spend more and more money, and get the same results.

What is that old saw about repeating the same action while expecting a different outcome? How do private charter schools spend a lot less per student and get much better results?

I don't know what others meant here in bringing up the issue of culture, but that is where the problem lies.

FantasticDan
01-31-2015, 06:01 PM
Does it sound to anyone like these kids thought this was just some good old-fashioned bake sale or something? It sure as hell sounds more likely than not that everyone involved was plenty aware what they were doing.A district spokesperson said that some of the students that ate the brownies knew of their content, while others had no idea.

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2015, 06:10 PM
A district spokesperson said that some of the students that ate the brownies knew of their content, while others had no idea.

Color me skeptical. Either way, unless people really thought or just assumed that all these kids had been naively hoodwinked into free pot brownies after some social media media blitz, I feel a real void in all the finger pointing up to that point.

Tom
01-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Best to err on the side of caution.
They are just kids, abort them all.

Clocker
01-31-2015, 06:35 PM
Best to err on the side of caution.
They are just kids, abort them all.

Many liberals favor that. Here is a You Tube video of college students signing a petition to legalize fourth trimester abortions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8--9R0I2Q