PDA

View Full Version : January Free Horseplayer Monthly Magazine, Out Now.

DeanT
01-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Hi Folks,

January/Feb issue is out. Thanks for reading and passing it along to your friends. And thanks to the writers for taking time to contribute.

http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanamonthly.html

We've got Craig from TimeformUS looking at Turf, and it's sure to help you. We've got Jerod Dinkin's views on the NHC, and another excellent article from Ross Gallo on Tourney play. We've also got a look at Daily Fantasy Sports and their place beside horse racing, education of bettors, Barry Meadow talking some redboarding, and Lenny Moon looking at what pools to bet, depending on your bankrolls.

Also in This Issue: We've got an excellent harness section, led by Garnet Barnsdale. Fun 2015 Prop bets, that you probably won't see at Wynn anytime soon, and our usual back page stats. This month those take a look at recency angles, in light of the changes at NYRA.

http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanamonthly.html

Robert Fischer
01-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Thanks Dean.

"Downloaded"!

These are always great reads.

LottaKash
01-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Hooray!!!..

I am always glad and grateful to get a new issue about our beloved game... :jump:

jahura2
01-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Thanks again Dean. The issues keep getting better and more informative with each passing month.

FrankieFigs
01-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Another stellar job. Kudos to all that contributed to the issue!!

DeanT
01-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys.

Lotsa good response this month. Maybe because we put CJ on the cover. He drives the traffic :)

cj
01-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys.

Lotsa good response this month. Maybe because we put CJ on the cover. He drives the traffic :)

You don't need me, great job as always. Hope people enjoy and use what I wrote. I'm just starting to read the issue myself between races today!

Tom
01-30-2015, 03:35 PM
You guys put together a really nice magazine. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

whodoyoulike
01-30-2015, 04:00 PM
On page 17, are the takeout % only for Meadowlands or most Harness tracks?

Anyone know why they are capable of lower t-o % vs. Tbreds tracks? Same facility and horse ownership cost. People have to earn and horses have to eat.

JustRalph
01-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Handling a Redboarder :lol: Good piece

dirty moose
01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Great stuff as always! Thank you

DeanT
01-30-2015, 09:20 PM
On page 17, are the takeout % only for Meadowlands or most Harness tracks?

Anyone know why they are capable of lower t-o % vs. Tbreds tracks? Same facility and horse ownership cost. People have to earn and horses have to eat.

The Big M is one of the best in terms of takeout. It's the flagship harness track. Deep fields with decent rakes make for some good bets. Tioga's is good, but its a new track. Most of the rest are pretty poor in terms of rake. Some have some low take exotics tho, kinda like thoroughbred tracks, so you have to keep your eyes peeled for bargains.

Thanks for the props guys.

whodoyoulike
01-30-2015, 11:29 PM
Thanks.

But, I'm curious why a race track is able to survive at 15% for exotics etc., versus the approx. 25% for Tbreds.

Does anyone know?

Is it really necessary (b/c of economics??) for Tbreds to t-o the higher %? I've been focusing on wanting to lower WPS t-o % when it should be all %'s.

FrankieFigs
01-31-2015, 03:37 AM
Handling a Redboarder :lol: Good piece

Good advice in that article that I needed. Better than punching them in the face or kicking them in the nuts.... :bang:

DeanT
01-31-2015, 07:07 PM
Remind me never to redboard around Frankie Figs :)

DeanT
02-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Thanks.

But, I'm curious why a race track is able to survive at 15% for exotics etc., versus the approx. 25% for Tbreds.

Does anyone know?

Is it really necessary (b/c of economics??) for Tbreds to t-o the higher %? I've been focusing on wanting to lower WPS t-o % when it should be all %'s.

Missed this. I guess the short answer is higher rake does not necessarily mean more money. If so, I suspect Italian racing would be in good shape!

The Big M is pretty close to tbred tracks rakes, really, and does about $3M handle a night most nights.

For a full list of rakes for tbreds, it's here: http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanatrackratingsbyoverallscore2014.html