PDA

View Full Version : Delta 2 Launch 1/30 620am PDT

_______
01-29-2015, 08:46 PM
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#.VMrgQIE76rU

Live coverage at link above. I was at Vandenberg today to watch this but it scrubbed due to high altitude winds. Really bummed as it was a perfect morning with no fog and minimal cloud cover. Have appointments that will keep me away other than watching the stream.

If you live in SoCal and have clear sky's look for this toward Santa Barbara. Dawn launches are easily seen over a wide area. There are 3 solid rocket boosters that will be quite bright assisting the first stage. It should also leave a weird glow before sunrise from ionization of some of the exhaust gasses in the upper atmosphere.

Hoofless_Wonder
01-29-2015, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the link, _______. May have to watch that.

Best job I ever had was working on some of the ground system software for Landsat 7, which was launched into orbit back in 1999 via a Delta II rocket out of Vandenburg. Got a chuckle when the Boeing crowd on the conference call cheered about 40 mins or so after launch as the bird came around and was picked up by a ground station in Iceland - which meant they got paid. It was much more emotional a few days later when the first imagery came down, and not only did it look great, but the accuracy was way, way inside specs. We were grinning like chimps.

_______
01-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Launch is delayed until Saturday morning. Looks like I'll get to see it live after all.