PDA

View Full Version : Gosden on international racing

QTwithTQ
01-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Thoroughbred Racing Commentary recently posted a Q&A with trainer John Gosden. He talks international racing, compares America and Europe, racing surfaces, pedigrees, betting systems, race-day medication etc. Here's a snippet:

“I remember the era of the late 1970s, early 1980s, of the great American horses and their breeders. It was fantastic. There was a wonderful quality of horse and they were tough with it; the likes of Affirmed and Spectacular Bid, for example. But now, it is very tempting for North America to go slightly isolationist and say: “Well, we’re breeding for our domestic market, we race on dirt, and that’s the way it is.” That would render the great American Thoroughbred, for which I have a lot of respect, an increasingly irrelevant creature on the world stage. That really does concern me.

You can read the entire article on ThoroughbredRacing.com (https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/gosden-how-great-american-thoroughbred-could-become-increasingly-irrelevant)

PaceAdvantage
01-30-2015, 01:22 AM
I don't really understand that quote. If anything, back in the late 70s and early 80s, American racing was even MORE dirt-centric...

Today, we're far from isolationist, compared to back then. Heck, we have the Breeders' Cup practically bending over backwards to reach out to European runners...and we even have an American trainer enjoying success at Royal Ascot in recent years (Wesley Ward)...

biggestal99
01-30-2015, 06:46 AM
I don't really understand that quote. If anything, back in the late 70s and early 80s, American racing was even MORE dirt-centric...

Today, we're far from isolationist, compared to back then. Heck, we have the Breeders' Cup practically bending over backwards to reach out to European runners...and we even have an American trainer enjoying success at Royal Ascot in recent years (Wesley Ward)...

Back in the 70,s the united states had the preeminent turf sire of the 20th century, northern dancer standing at stud.

He was always in europe's top sire list. Now who,s his replacement kittens joy?

Allan

Fager Fan
02-01-2015, 01:07 AM
Back in the 70,s the united states had the preeminent turf sire of the 20th century, northern dancer standing at stud.

He was always in europe's top sire list. Now who,s his replacement kittens joy?

Allan

There are a number of NA stallions ahead of KJ on the international rankings: Tapit, Giant's Causeway, Hard Spun & More Than Ready.

biggestal99
02-01-2015, 10:09 AM
There are a number of NA stallions ahead of KJ on the international rankings: Tapit, Giant's Causeway, Hard Spun & More Than Ready.

well the 8 horses that stand (or stood) in the US who broke into the top 200 sire list in 2014 in Europe were.

91. Speightstown
93. War Front
98. Street Cry (deceased)
123. Bernstein (deceased)
129. Elusive Quality
157. Arch
159. Distorted Humor
194. Giants Causeway

and 2 USA breds in the top 20 who stand in Europe

3. Shamardal (Giants Causeway)
18. Elusive City (Elusive Quality)

so I'd say for the main part. United states Stock usually is bred for the dirt