PDA

View Full Version : Bill Spawr to Wayne Potts.

Stillriledup
01-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Lovmeister, claimed for 8k off Bill Spawr in California and shipped to Wayne Potts at Penn National moves from a rock bottom 8k race at SA to a salty 16k affair at Penn National and crushes the field in July of 2014. He's won 4 more races since then and has turned this 8k claiming price into well over 50k in profits.

Fast forward to Nov 30 and Potts reaches in again for a Spawr 8k claimer and ships him to Penn Nat. A horse named Let's Get Crackin. Now "Crackin" had seemed to have fallen on hard times in California, his Beyers dropping dramatically. Ran a 70 in June, than ran two Beyers in the 60s on poly at DMR, all flat and uninspiring performances and dropping thru the ranks like he's "all done"

BUT WAIT!

Potts gets him and brings him to Penn Nat and like magic, he wins going away improving his Beyer from 70 (which was his fastest beyer in his previous 3) to a 94.

You have to wonder why a guy would specifically claim from Spawr again after he moved that first horse up...what did Potts see in Lovemeister that made him want to claim another horse from Bill.?

If Lets Get Crackin has the inherent talent to run a 94 Beyer, why is he toiling in California running 60s and a 70?

Any thoughts on this? I'm stumped.

Robert Goren
01-28-2015, 08:24 PM
It is Penn National. That is about all you have to know. What kind of odds did you get on the first start with each horse. I suspect pretty low ones.

In the pre drug era, you would see this once in a while because horse often ran way slower when it was out classed than when it was with its own kind. Now days we just chalk it to better dope. That said, An 8k race in s. cal. used to be a lot better than a 16k at Penn Nat. I have not look at Penn Nat. for years so I could say what it is like today. But even at the better tracks today it not unusual for a horse to drop out of several maiden races to a medium md claimer and have his Beyers jump 25 points or more. Drugs are not always the reason.

Augenj
01-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Clenbuterol? :D

reckless
01-28-2015, 09:55 PM
It's possible that Spawr's vet knows Potts' vet and .... ;)

Stillriledup
01-28-2015, 09:59 PM
It's possible that Spawr's vet knows Potts' vet and .... ;)

I'd like to get to the bottom of this, you know? Would help my handicapping going forward.

appistappis
01-28-2015, 11:59 PM
I find generally a good angle is penn nat to anywhere, throw him out.

davew
01-29-2015, 01:42 AM
I'd like to get to the bottom of this, you know? Would help my handicapping going forward.

open $8K in CA is higher class than $16K nw3 in PA ? seems to be more smaller class level differences at PA like Alw nw2 other than clm,..

you have discovered a gold mine and should become an owner of horses rather than SRUdowns

ultracapper
01-29-2015, 04:55 AM
Let's Get Crackin' has back class up the back side. The horse always had ability. He had to sit about 9 months over the autumn and winter 2012/2013. Spawr got him going right after that layoff for awhile, but then the horse started to slide again. He has health issues, but when healthy, 16K claimers for him is like stealing lunch money.

Lovmeister was one of those 2 year olds that Walther Solis loves to run 15 times before their 3rd birthday. Spawr got his hands on that one and got him straightened out also. The horse, even under Solis, showed ability, but Solis totally mis-handled him, as he quite often does, telling you why he's a 5% trainer. Spawr put the horse on a more traditional training/racing regimen, and the horse showed some ability. He ain't half the horse Let's get Crackin is when LGC is healthy, but Lovmeister is capable. He always had something for the stretch run when at his best.

cj
01-29-2015, 11:13 AM
Lovmeister, claimed for 8k off Bill Spawr in California and shipped to Wayne Potts at Penn National moves from a rock bottom 8k race at SA to a salty 16k affair at Penn National and crushes the field in July of 2014. He's won 4 more races since then and has turned this 8k claiming price into well over 50k in profits.

Fast forward to Nov 30 and Potts reaches in again for a Spawr 8k claimer and ships him to Penn Nat. A horse named Let's Get Crackin. Now "Crackin" had seemed to have fallen on hard times in California, his Beyers dropping dramatically. Ran a 70 in June, than ran two Beyers in the 60s on poly at DMR, all flat and uninspiring performances and dropping thru the ranks like he's "all done"

BUT WAIT!

Potts gets him and brings him to Penn Nat and like magic, he wins going away improving his Beyer from 70 (which was his fastest beyer in his previous 3) to a 94.

You have to wonder why a guy would specifically claim from Spawr again after he moved that first horse up...what did Potts see in Lovemeister that made him want to claim another horse from Bill.?

If Lets Get Crackin has the inherent talent to run a 94 Beyer, why is he toiling in California running 60s and a 70?

Any thoughts on this? I'm stumped.

TimeformUS Speed Figures paint a different picture of the situation:

Lovmeister, oldest to newest:

-------Switch to Penn
83 -> Last night

Lets Get Crackin

78 (poly)
87 (poly)
-------Switch to Penn

Stillriledup
01-29-2015, 03:36 PM
TimeformUS Speed Figures paint a different picture of the situation:

Lovmeister, oldest to newest:

-------Switch to Penn
83 -> Last night

Lets Get Crackin

78 (poly)
87 (poly)
-------Switch to Penn

So Beyer is wrong with his So Cal numbers on this horse (whos' racing tonight btw)?

cj
01-29-2015, 03:43 PM
So Beyer is wrong with his So Cal numbers on this horse (whos' racing tonight btw)?

I said they paint a different picture, not that anybody has to be right or wrong. That is for others to decide.

lamboguy
01-29-2015, 03:50 PM
i am not going to disagree with SRU here. Bill Sprawl is not an anchor but you hardly ever see him with a 2 year old that he develops into something. to me is an underachiever. but that's the way i see it and i am usually wrong.

ultracapper
01-30-2015, 12:43 AM
spawr is very good at fixing other's mistakes. He makes some very good claims. It usually takes him a couple races to get the best out of his newly acquired horse, but he ultimately gets the horse up to it's potential.

And man, does he know how to use a route race to get a horse ready to sprint. he's a master of the cutback.

I'd think he'd be a good guy to claim off of, especially one that he claimed a couple races earlier.

GaryG
01-30-2015, 06:03 AM
And man, does he know how to use a route race to get a horse ready to sprint. he's a master of the cutback.That is for sure.....the other Spawr pattern that I like is freshened off the claim and raised in class, hopefully with Smith up.