PDA

View Full Version : Fat does not make you fat -- bad science

DJofSD
01-26-2015, 01:22 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2015/01/26/fat-doesnt-make-you-fat-nina-teisholz-has-a-big-fat-surprise/

Listen to the podcast for the discussion and examples of bad science.

GW/AGW proponents can go about their business.

thaskalos
01-26-2015, 01:24 PM
This is NEWS? Robert Atkins has been saying this for decades.

DJofSD
01-26-2015, 01:26 PM
No, I didn't claim it was news.

The reason for the post was for the discussion of bad science.

thaskalos
01-26-2015, 01:28 PM
"Science" isn't interested in promoting good health. The big money is in SICKNESS...not in "Wellness".

Tom
01-26-2015, 01:32 PM
So let me get this straight.
The planet isn't getting hotter, but my dinner is?

DJofSD
01-26-2015, 01:33 PM
So let me get this straight.
The planet isn't getting hotter, but my dinner is?
No to both if you live along the East part of the continent.

badcompany
01-26-2015, 02:08 PM
It gets down to semantics.

Fat is what actually gets stored as fat. However, Carbs are what will put you in a caloric surplus.

You have limited storage space for carbs, in the form of glycogen. You have unlimited storage space for fat in the adipose tissue.

So, when you are in a caloric surplus, the body eventually runs out of storage space for carbs which then become your primary energy source, and the fats get stored as fat.

The same holds true for alcohol for which the body has no storage space. Alcohol will get utilized for energy before either carbs or fat.

badcompany
01-26-2015, 02:12 PM
This is NEWS? Robert Atkins has been saying this for decades.

Not recently. He's been dead for 12 years :lol:

thaskalos
01-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Not recently. He's been dead for 12 years :lol:

And the "establishment" tried to blame his death on his diet.

JustRalph
01-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Dr Atkins has been vindicated several times since his death.

Too bad he wasn't around to see it

badcompany
01-26-2015, 02:25 PM
And the "establishment" tried to blame his death on his diet.

Atkins made tremendous contributions, no doubt. However, he didn't give enough currency to the concept of a caloric deficit.

So, Atkins dieters believe that as long as they limit carbs, they'll lose weight. This belief has given rise to an industry of low-carb junk food, "Atkins Bars."

While these bars have very few carbs, from a caloric standpoint, they're no better than a Snickers bar.

thaskalos
01-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Atkins made tremendous contributions, no doubt. However, he didn't give enough currency to the concept of a caloric deficit.

So, Atkins dieters believe that as long as they limit carbs, they'll lose weight. This belief has given rise to an industry of low-carb junk food, "Atkins Bars."

While these bars have very few carbs, from a caloric standpoint, they're no better than a Snickers bar.
The Atkins Diet isn't perfect...but its creator was way ahead of his time. He single-handedly took on the "fat-is-bad" conspiracy prevalent throughout the world of "science"...and he received great backlash as a result. He stood tall...and he was ultimately proven right. Fat ISN'T the enemy that it's -- even now -- made out to be. Robert Atkins was FEARLESS! A true pioneer. :ThmbUp:

ArlJim78
01-26-2015, 02:44 PM
"Science" isn't interested in promoting good health. The big money is in SICKNESS...not in "Wellness".
truer words have never been spoken, and this applies to many other funded activities as well.