PDA

View Full Version : Efficiency of Racetrack Betting Markets

OTM Al
05-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Anyone know where an available copy may be? I have some of the papers that are collected in the book, but wouldn't mind getting my hands on a copy of the real thing. I never quite finished my Ph.D. in Economics and am considering a paper on a couple different aspects of horse racing markets and this would be a great resource.

OTM Al
05-12-2004, 02:01 PM
May have found one from an online college bookstore. We shall see......

chickenhead
05-12-2004, 02:29 PM
I saw a copy online for $1000 a while back...

OTM Al
05-12-2004, 03:31 PM
So far so good. Got it from eCampus.com for about $90 with shipping, which is not bad for things considered textbooks. Of course they may turn around and say they don't have it anymore...Beats the guy trying to sell photocopies for $200 each.

superfecta
05-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Don't get your hopes up Al.Had a copy several years ago and its crap.Theory sounds good but anyone who actually knows anything about pari mutual betting can see how it doesn't work in the real world.Wish I still had my copy,could make more money selling it than using it.

OTM Al
05-13-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm quite sure some of it is off base from the perspective of the handicapper. I've read 8 or 9 papers so far on the subject and there are some points I took issue with from the perspective of a handicapper, but not necessarily from the perspective of economic modeling. The point is not to use it to augment my handicapping, but rather as a reference work for generating an academic paper so I can do something I enjoy while finally finishing the damn PhD. Modern PPs give a wealth of raw data for modeling, but when one writes a paper, a thorough literature review is necessary. When I get something decent together, I wouldn't at all mind those of you out there that are up to the math to have a look and give me some feedback. After all, it is the behavior of handicappers like all of us that will be examined.