PDA

View Full Version : Best places for driver information past and present

Inner Dirt
01-21-2015, 01:38 PM
I was a pretty good harness handicapper in my youth in Southern California from 1979-1986. Usually would either make a couple $100 or at least come out even. Any attempts after that to rekindle the skill have been futile so I quit betting harness. I somehow went from someone who could pick 35-40% winners down to 10-15%. I would like to take a few trips down memory lane, by Googling where is a good place to look up drivers and the history of harness racing, any good books? I was amazed to find that it appears Gerald Longo and Gene Vallandingham are still driving, they have to be late 60's +.

Longo provided me with a laugh one day at Los Alamitos probably around 1986. He seemed to be an expert at sitting behind the leader on a 3-5 shot and waiting too long to pull out and getting trapped all the way down the stretch till it was too late. He had pulled this stunt again and an angry fan started yelling at him "Longo you are a piece of garbage" as he was walking back to the barns. Instead of ignoring the irritate fan like most drivers do he walked over to the fence and told the guy to climb onto the track and he would kick his butt. The guy walked away and Longo kept yelling at him, it was pretty funny.

mrroyboy
01-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Books by Pandy are the best. Also his articles and Harness Eye articles on Drf.
Also read as many posts as you can by LottaKash, Ray and many others on this forum. This IS the right place to learn. Best of luck.

wilderness
01-21-2015, 03:34 PM
I would like to take a few trips down memory lane, by Googling where is a good place to look up drivers and the history of harness racing, any good books?

Good luck with that.

The most resourceful books for stats are the USTA Trotting and Pacing Guides, which began publication in 1947 and are published annually.
The 70's thru 90's versions contained the most data.

These are frequently found on eBay, although they are often over priced.

Another resource (pre-1980s) are the USTA YearBooks. These are offered regularly on eBay and any thing more than $5 plus shipping is overpriced. People frequently are looking for homes for entire sets (beginning with 1939) and are unable to give-them-away for the price of shipping (same goes for the USTA's Sires and Dams books).

wilderness
01-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Vallandingham's DOB was 9‑14‑40.

Longo's YOB was 1945

mrroyboy
01-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Wow I was born in 1943. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning. Good for them.

wilderness
01-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Wow I was born in 1943. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning. Good for them.

But, they've been active most every day of their lives whilst your playing on the computer and sitting on your duff growing a beer belly ;)

I resumed some serious activity last spring and lost 15-lbs. None of my pants would fit.

mrroyboy
01-21-2015, 04:58 PM
I don't drink beer. But the rest------

Sea Biscuit
01-21-2015, 10:17 PM

Roy your'e honest and funny too.

I wish I could jump up and down like this icon.:jump: