PDA

View Full Version : Monticello Live!: January 20

Teach
01-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Monticello Raceway

Race One:

It wouldn’t take much to have #7 Im A Nice Girl clear by the time the pacers reach the backstretch. If the Dragon Again-bred chestnut mare can do it without too much effort, she might, as the late Howard Cosell used to say: “Go all the way!” Much will depend on whether Larry Stalbaum can easily clear and then ration out this distaffer’s speed. If all goes well…Others I like are the rail horse, #1 La Reata. She won her last in the slop (a surface she likes) in this company. She does drop down a tad in her chauffeuring arrangements from Bruce Aldrich. However, a good trip puts her right there. Then, there’s Jim Taggart, Jr’s #2 Powerful Love. This Artiscape-bred is a consistent sort who’s only been off the board once in her last ten. Looks like a “must-use” for exotic and gimmick plays. If you’re thinking of the super, you might consider #3 Wheelchair Wendy.

Teach
01-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Well, Stalbaum didn't leave. That made all the difference in the world. First-over trip was too much.

Teach
01-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Race Two:

I’m not one to offer excuses; yet, this is like throwing darts at a dartboard, blindfolded. Hard to get too inspired about any of these distaffers. But, someone has to win. Who? The Hollies: “Hey, Carrie Anne, what’s your game now can anybody play?” Well, this is an off-the-wall reason (the Jenna’s Beach Boy mare is capable); but when I was in college about five decades ago I dated a girl from White Plains, NY. Her name: Carrie Anne. As good a reason as any, I suppose. Caveat emptor: Don’t go to the bank on this one. So, my lukewarm pick here is John DeSimone, Jr’s 8-year-old mare, #4 Carrie Ann. Throw out her last in the slop from the outside. She fits here and will hopefully get a bit drier surface. Who else, you ask? Well, Bruce Aldrich certainly has a shot with the “pylon” horse, #1 True Gritty. Nothing to write home about, but from the inside starting post, could be part. #2 Sudden Desire with Kyle DiBenedetto draws a good post and faster racing surface. Can be a factor. #8 Livinwell Hanover can be a factor. Much will depend on how well reinsman Jason Ryan gets this Abercrombie-bred mare into the early flow. If the mare can duck into a hole or even make the top, she instantly becomes a factor. The operative word is “If”.

Teach
01-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Race Three:

I’m going back outside and taking a shot with Larry Stalbaum’s (again) Artsplace-bred aged-gelding, #7 Multiple Choice. When I taught school (I think the pharaohs still ruled Egypt, then), the kids called it “multiple guess”. Well, if Stalbaum can clear from his outside post (assuming he’s leaving), then, as they say: “He becomes ‘a player’”. #1 The Unsub, a Lis Mara-bred, is most capable; yet the 6-year-old has been off a few weeks. That concerns me. Horses can easily lose their conditioning edge. I’m not privy to how well this horse has been worked while he’s been away from the races. Let’s assume he’s reasonably fit; then he’s a factor. The lightly raced #2, The Dragon, also fits. Bruce Aldrich in the bike is a plus. Then, there’s #3 RG Riptide. The gelding’s had a couple of tough starting posts at Yonkers, be he now draws inside. The gelding’s win record is abysmal, but to hit the tote to complete a gimmick…

mrroyboy
01-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Good luck Teach
Good to see you posting again.

Teach
01-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Race Four looked off the wall. Turned out that way.

Race Five:

#5 RootinTootinFilly might just have enough in her 12-year-old legs to prevail here. Everything would have to fall into place. She appears to like a wet track. Well, she fits well and has faced better. She’ll need the trip, but that just might happen. Also: #3 I Deal Vic has recently been completing supers and some gimmicks. Is today a breakout day? As good a chance as any. Then, there’s #2 SomeBaySomewhere. A solid campaigner who appears to be part, especially from her good starting post. Finally, #4 A And Gs Astreos. Just a hunch. Maybe a value surprise. I’m tempted to use her to add value to a gimmick.

Teach
01-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Race Six:

#4 Attack The Land is my off-the-wall, viejo-loco, tu sei pazzo pick. Would have liked to have seen the gelding entered in a race last week (a tightener); yet there’s a good deal of back-class. This horse turned in some solid efforts down in Delaware last year. A good 2014 campaign that saw the gelding hit the tote in over half his starts. Others to consider: #5 Outa My Head. Another back-class type with the capable Bruce Aldrich in the sulky. Then, there’s #6 Prince Marathon. He also fits well in this company; yet, I’m thinking he may have to settle for a minor award. #8 C’Mon Mr Brock is my “sleeper”. If this Towner’s Big Guy-bred gelding can find a spot early, he may well surprise and add value to your ticket. Jim Marohn, Jr. (He having a good day) is one the best reinsman campaigning at Monticello.

Teach
01-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Race Seven:

There’s Larry Stalbaum again coming out of the seven-hole with #7 Viper Hanover. If LSMFD (not to be confused with LSMFT), “Larry Stalbaum Means Fine Driving,” can clear with this Kim Asher trainee, this gelding can make it five-straight wins. A lot depends on the horse’s start and his ability to comfortably get to the lead. If he does… #1 Native Art looks like a factor from the inside, as does # 3 BB Smash to possibly get part. As for completing the super, #4 Eagle Artesian can be a factor.

Teach
01-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Race Eight:

#7 StarsAboveAllerage looks the best, and can be the best as long as this Mike Simons-driven gelding doesn’t break into a “dance” routine. Did a 1:57 at Lexington last September as a three-year-old, but that’s a one-mile oval. Still, a most solid time for a young trotter. Others: #2 Smo’n Muscles draws inside; can be a factor. As can #3 Benn’s Starlet and #4 E R Anna.

mrroyboy
01-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Larry Staulbaum is another driver who is better off at the smaller tracks like Mont. I believe Kim Asher is his wife but he is her "Go to" driver.
Good luck.

Teach
01-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Race Nine:

I'm gonna live on "the outside". Three "7s". Why can't that happen when I'm playing the slots? Bruce Aldrich is a solid reinsman. The mare, #7 Get Your Own, is a most consistent sort. It wouldn't take much for this Blissfull Hall-bred distaffer to prevail here. The current odds are outstanding! Personally, although #1 Admiral Abbie can hit the tote, I can't wager a bob or two on her schnoz at those odds. May even be vulnerable. Also: #2 Net Jet and a longshot try: Jacques Primeau's horse: Jordan's Jewell.

Teach
01-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Race Ten:

#3 Magic Cheque is my pick here in this trot. This Scott Blackler trainee was a longshot second in this company last time. The Mr Lavec-bred gelding now draws to the inside and should be able to take advantage of that improved starting post. The prohibitive fave looks like Baltimor AS. Certainly figures and can be right there, but I'm not one to wager to win on horses where the return is less than even money. Others I'm considering are #4 Monica's Image and #5 Civil Cause.

Teach
01-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Race Eleven:

Going outside with #8 Rusty's Flying. This mare loves...I mean rapturizes over the off-going. Like a duck takes to water. All that needs to happen is for Jimmy Marohn, Jr. to clear and it should be clear sailing. Dan Gill is a very good trainer. Others that figure to contend are: #5 Cruise Queen, #3 Miss Sowo and #2 What Rusty.

Teach
01-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Race Twelve:

"When you're hot, you're hot..." (not me): Jim Marohn, Jr. His horse, #4 Perfect Raider fits well in this company and can take it all. The Dan Gill-trainee likes the off-going. And with Marohn, Jr. in the bike, I think this Keystone Raider-bred mare can take it all. Others to consider are: #1 Oye Vera Bezzie (she draws the pylons and fits well here); #3 Winsmith Molly and #6 Harper Lee.

Teach
01-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Race Thirteen:

In the finale, I'm going to keep it brief: #8 Mixed Media; #1 We Never Getacolt and #7 May Day Jo Jo

cecil127
01-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Race Eleven:

Going outside with #8 Rusty's Flying. This mare loves...I mean rapturizes over the off-going. Like a duck takes to water. All that needs to happen is for Jimmy Marohn, Jr. to clear and it should be clear sailing. Dan Gill is a very good trainer. Others that figure to contend are: #5 Cruise Queen, #3 Miss Sowo and #2 What Rusty.

drilled it....nice :ThmbUp: