View Full Version : New iPad with stylus

JustRalph
01-19-2015, 01:25 AM
12 inches and a stylus

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/18/7785443/apple-ipad-pro-stylus

This is the one I've dreamed about

PaceAdvantage
01-19-2015, 10:42 AM
My iPad has been sitting collecting dust every since I bought an 8" Windows 8 tablet from Dell (Dell Venue 8 pro).

The thing flat out ROCKS...I doubt I'll ever touch another Apple tablet again.

I do, however, use their phone multiple times a day, every single day... :lol:

lsosa54
01-19-2015, 11:49 AM
My iPad has been sitting collecting dust every since I bought an 8" Windows 8 tablet from Dell (Dell Venue 8 pro).

The thing flat out ROCKS...I doubt I'll ever touch another Apple tablet again.

I do, however, use their phone multiple times a day, every single day... :lol:

PA: How's the battery life on the Dell Venue 8 Pro? Did you look at/hold the 11" version at all? It may be time for me to upgrade from an Android tablet so I don't have to carry my Lenovo Thinkpad when I travel.

PaceAdvantage
01-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Battery life is pretty much as advertised in my experience...close to eight hours

OTM Al
01-20-2015, 09:07 AM
I hate this trend toward "super-sizing" everything. Best thing about the iPad as it is is the convenient size relative to what it can do. If I want a laptop, I'd get a laptop. Mac Air comes in 11" and 13" already. I don't want that. My friend has the new iPhone 6 plus because he is legally blind and it helps him, but even he thinks the size is ridiculous otherwise. I have no desire to have a phone bigger than my iPhone 4. They want to have an alternate larger size and people want it, then ok, that makes sense, but I think many people were happy with the size of the products they already had. Thought the whole idea was portability. Make these things too big and you lose that.

JustRalph
01-20-2015, 06:15 PM
I have old eyes. A 12 inch version of the iPad would be great for me. I own a nice Win8 laptop, but for everyday browsing I do literally everything on the iPad.
I use an Android Galaxy S3 phone. I like having access to all the different Eco-systems.

_______
01-20-2015, 06:37 PM
The replacement cycle on tablets has proven to be longer than manufacturers would prefer. You can't blame Apple for trying to give consumers a reason to buy a new device.

I'm writing this on a second generation IPad I bought from a friend and the only reason it's that new is I left the 1st generation one on the roof of my car a few years back.

Apple's are great but they really haven't given me any reason to buy new since the original IPad.

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2015, 12:06 AM
First gen iPad (that's what I have) is wicked heavy and thick compared to the newer ones...I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get the newest, thinnest, lightest iPad if that was what I was into...

Not to mention the newer ones are much faster and have much better displays.

JustRalph
01-21-2015, 12:18 AM
First gen iPad (that's what I have) is wicked heavy and thick compared to the newer ones...I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get the newest, thinnest, lightest iPad if that was what I was into...

The new one is awesome. No comparison with any prior models.

But IOS 8 is very buggy

OTM Al
01-21-2015, 09:28 AM

I wish they would still build them as sturdy as the first generation model with all the new bells and whistles. I dropped mine on the sidewalk twice and all it did was dent the corners a bit. The new ones shatter so easily that it makes one think they want you to break them. The wife had one inside her purse, dropped the purse from waist height and the screen shattered. Didn't mind at all the extra weight.

_______
01-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Mine is probably underutilized as it's essentially a portal to access the interwebs and little else. Sometimes I use it to stream music when my wife and I practice dancing. Less frequently I'll watch a show on it.

I'm sure weight would be more of a concern if I was hauling it everywhere I went but I don't so it isn't. Better screen resolution is nice but it's not like the difference between SD and HD that drove me to buy a new TV a few years back. My wife has a newer IPad and I can see the difference but it isn't enough that I feel I should upgrade.

OTM Al
01-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Mine is probably underutilized as it's essentially a portal to access the interwebs and little else. Sometimes I use it to stream music when my wife and I practice dancing. Less frequently I'll watch a show on it.

I'm sure weight would be more of a concern if I was hauling it everywhere I went but I don't so it isn't. Better screen resolution is nice but it's not like the difference between SD and HD that drove me to buy a new TV a few years back. My wife has a newer IPad and I can see the difference but it isn't enough that I feel I should upgrade.

The resolution is not why I upgraded finally to the latest "regular" model (god knows what they call it now...). You can see the difference side by side, but the original looked fine. For me it was storage size. As soon as they finally made a 128GB model available, I got it. Waiting for 256....I do use mine constantly, especially given I have almost 2 hrs a day to kill on the train, so I take it with me everywhere

JustRalph
01-21-2015, 01:03 PM
They made the storage cheaper in the newest one.

got rid of 32 and you an get 64 for the old price of 32

OTM Al
01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
They made the storage cheaper in the newest one.

got rid of 32 and you an get 64 for the old price of 32
128 for the old price of the 64 made me quite happy

JustRalph
01-21-2015, 01:44 PM
128 for the old price of the 64 made me quite happy

You must save a ton of data........... I don't even get close to 64. I do carry my Ipad just about everywhere I go. It's amazing how often it comes in handy. My wife calls it Geek Bling..........

OTM Al
01-21-2015, 01:52 PM
You must save a ton of data........... I don't even get close to 64. I do carry my Ipad just about everywhere I go. It's amazing how often it comes in handy. My wife calls it Geek Bling..........

I've gotten back into listening with music so have a lot of albums on there. All the CDs I still had and wanted to listen to plus I buy a new album each week. Am working on my Lou Reed collection right now. Headphones are good and that new little Bose Color speaker is fantastic. Have about 8 movies on there too. Have a lot of books as well, but they take very little space. Still have about 30GB of space open

mabred
01-22-2015, 09:31 AM
pa

what about the stylus that runs the dell v 8

do u use it?? is it worth buying?? seems it eats

batteriers true???

do u have a blue tooth mouse?? or just the pen?/

thanks
mabred

PaceAdvantage
01-25-2015, 03:03 PM
I use the stylus to take notes...since they "fixed" the stylus, and I purchased one of the more recent versions, it doesn't eat batteries and performs much better.

I don't use a mouse...just my finger and the pen.

And the newest version of Chrome for Windows 8 (the version that runs under the "metro" or Windows 8 start screen, and not the one that runs in the traditional desktop mode), seems to be much, much better at using touch even on small screens and even on websites such as this one, that can be difficult to navigate via touch...I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised how easy it has been navigating PaceAdvantage.com using only my finger on an 8" screen under the newest version of Chrome...

Speed Figure
02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
I use the stylus to take notes...since they "fixed" the stylus, and I purchased one of the more recent versions, it doesn't eat batteries and performs much better.

I don't use a mouse...just my finger and the pen.

And the newest version of Chrome for Windows 8 (the version that runs under the "metro" or Windows 8 start screen, and not the one that runs in the traditional desktop mode), seems to be much, much better at using touch even on small screens and even on websites such as this one, that can be difficult to navigate via touch...I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised how easy it has been navigating PaceAdvantage.com using only my finger on an 8" screen under the newest version of Chrome...
Big price drop on the Dell Venue 8 pro 5000 series! DON'T GET THE 3000 series! it's a big step down from the 5000 series.
http://pilot.search.dell.com/dell%20venue%208%20pro%205000

mabred
02-13-2015, 10:13 AM
newest chrome !!!

thanks pa